This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Braido77

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I was wondering if any of you could grant me some guidance.
My first two years at college were very rough. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety disorder and this greatly affected my studies. I ma not trying to use this as an excuse but I was very ill. I ended up attempting suicide but failed and got the treatment I needed. My transcripts took a tremendous hit. I transferred schools as well. At my first school I got 4 c's on which was math. And one B. then the following semester A, B and two C's one of which was statistics but I think I will have to take a higher level one for my biology major. The next year was when my attempt was and I ended up failing calculus and got two B's. The next semester I took calculus 1 again and got a B. Biology I got a B and chem 1 a C. Psychology-A. Just before this last semester I achieved what the psychiatrist called "remission" from my previous diagnosis. This semester I have 3 A's (non-science based) and a B in Chem II. I want to become a doctor more than anything and help others like the medical professionals that helped me. I would like some advice on weather medical schools (assuming I continue on with A's and B's) would even consider my application? would they take into account my situation? I have not taken either physics, or organic chemistry, or my second bio class yet. I also have two math classes left to try and salvage my sGPA. But let me know the options and what you guys think.

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Can you list your cGPA/sGPA? Also, are you opposed to the DO route?

Sorry to hear of your woes.

The fastest path for you to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.

IF you're boning for the MD degree, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. You'll need to ace all the classic pre-reqs, and ace either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or a SMP, ideally one given at a med school. Then also ace MCAT (513 or better, 33+ on the old scale).

A continued display of academic excellence will allay Adcom concerns about your ability to perform.

Do not apply until you have the best possible app. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere, and, in fact, by the time you apply, several more schools will have opened their doors.

Go into this eyes wide open. You should to have your psychiatrist's approval for starters, as med school is a meat-grinder, and I've seen it break even healthy students.

Hi everybody,
I was wondering if any of you could grant me some guidance.
My first two years at college were very rough. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety disorder and this greatly affected my studies. I ma not trying to use this as an excuse but I was very ill. I ended up attempting suicide but failed and got the treatment I needed. My transcripts took a tremendous hit. I transferred schools as well. At my first school I got 4 c's on which was math. And one B. then the following semester A, B and two C's one of which was statistics but I think I will have to take a higher level one for my biology major. The next year was when my attempt was and I ended up failing calculus and got two B's. The next semester I took calculus 1 again and got a B. Biology I got a B and chem 1 a C. Psychology-A. Just before this last semester I achieved what the psychiatrist called "remission" from my previous diagnosis. This semester I have 3 A's (non-science based) and a B in Chem II. I want to become a doctor more than anything and help others like the medical professionals that helped me. I would like some advice on weather medical schools (assuming I continue on with A's and B's) would even consider my application? would they take into account my situation? I have not taken either physics, or organic chemistry, or my second bio class yet. I also have two math classes left to try and salvage my sGPA. But let me know the options and what you guys think.

Thanks a lot.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is your cGPA and sGPA?
My overall GPA at my current school is a 3.1. and My science GPA with is a pitiful 2.56. Still have two more math classes, two orgo chem, two physics, and the rest from my biology degree to redeem myself. However, I am transferring to a four year school next year after my associates.