Cs in Pre-reqs, School wont allow retakes unless failed, retake at CC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firebatV

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! so freshman year has been extremely rough for me, and I have ended up with 3 cs after 2 quarters, in Chem2a,Chem2b, and Math17a. I'm worried that my dreams of attending med school have been dashed. In an effort to preserve my GPA in preparation for med school, I am swapping majors from Neurobiology, Physiology and Behavior to Managerial Economics. Unfortunately my university has a policy that prohibits students from retaking classes unless the received below a C-.

3 Cs simply will not cut it for my science GPA, particularly since I will be taking far less science classes in a non-science major.

So my question is, can I retake classes at a Community college if my 4 year does not allow me to? If so, do you recommend it. How would this look when I am applying to med schools?

Members don't see this ad.

You probably should not stop at the prereqs if it is going to leave you with a very low sGPA. I'd keep the Neuro major for another semester or two. The upper level Bio work is your best bet for bringing up sGPA.

Retaking C's are not at your best interest.

I recieved a D in psychology and retook it paying out of pocket because financial aid doesn't pay for retakes unless you failed the courses and they only pay one time.

You should be careful about continously swapping majors if you are enrolled under financial aid.

Taking the courses you recieved a C in at a CC and passing it with an A or B would be a bad idea as well, it will look like you took the easy route.

I asked an admission officer about this. He said that freshmans got lower grades and it was fairly normal. He said make it up by excelling in upper level science courses. Good luck!