C's in prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kgibran

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys I was wondering how damaging C's are in prereqs to an application? I'm sitting at a 3.3s/c right now with an upward trend but I was wondering how much that would kill my chances even with an SMP in mind.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

This is in the MD forums, but are you thinking DO or MD? DO allows grade replacement, so you could retake the course. Otherwise, even if you murdered the MCAT, a sub-3.5 GPA for MD is pretty daunting, especially with a 2.0 GPA in some of your prerequisites. A GPA of 3.5 is often seen as the 'bottom line' for MD schools, with most schools averaging between 3.6 and 3.8 for matriculating students.

I have a 3.5 cGPA and 3.3 sGPA with 4 C's and 1 D in science classes on my transcript. Upward trend, did an SMP-like program, and did well on my MCAT. First time applying and already accepted to two MD schools. It's not the end of the world.

Please note you're an applicant from Texas and your acceptances are to Texas medical schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is in the MD forums, but are you thinking DO or MD? DO allows grade replacement, so you could retake the course. Otherwise, even if you murdered the MCAT, a sub-3.5 GPA for MD is pretty daunting, especially with a 2.0 GPA in some of your prerequisites. A GPA of 3.5 is often seen as the 'bottom line' for MD schools, with most schools averaging between 3.6 and 3.8 for matriculating students.
I will try for MD my first go around...that's why I was planning on an SMP. My last 40 BCPM credit hours have been 3.5+....I guess I'm asking is it even worth applying MD?

I have a 3.5 cGPA and 3.3 sGPA with 4 C's and 1 D in science classes on my transcript. Upward trend, did an SMP-like program, and did well on my MCAT. First time applying and already accepted to two MD schools. It's not the end of the world.
Do you go to school in Texas ?

I will try for MD my first go around...that's why I was planning on an SMP. My last 40 BCPM credit hours have been 3.5+....I guess I'm asking is it even worth applying MD?

Do you have an issue with DO? You could certainly apply to both lower tier MD programs and DO schools following an SMP.

I'm open to applying to DO schools. Just from what I've read on SDN MD might make it easier to get into a competitive specialty but that's a long way down the road anyway.

Btw not from Cali...Midwest with good state school

Also Sahren if you don't mind me asking what do you mean by SMP like program?

Could have a decent shot at ur state school then if you do well on your MCAT. I would retake that D though, if I were an adcom I would find that troubling. If you do decide to go DO then retake any science courses you have a C or below in.

Sorry for highjacking, but I have similar questions. What about 4C/C+ in physics and orgo yet overall undergrad GPA is a 3.6? 3.45 for sGPA.

I'm open to applying to DO schools. Just from what I've read on SDN MD might make it easier to get into a competitive specialty but that's a long way down the road anyway.

IIRC, DO can make it more difficult to place directly into highly competitive residencies. How much more difficult is up to debate. However, if you're interested in less-specialized residencies, they're fine.

So how is it different? It's tough to get into medical school no matter where you're a resident. I'm lucky to have options that want to keep me in state, but that doesn't mean I couldn't go out of state.

Texas is unlike any other state. It has a favorable applicant-to-seat ratio with 7 state schools and a separate application, incredible in-state preference (>90% instate at all but one school, Baylor), appreciably lower tuition, and only two of the seven schools have higher-than-average matriculate GPA/MCAT. Do not take this as a shot at Texas, it's just how it is. I am just saying be wary of applying personal anecdotes to applicants outside of Texas. It, quite literally, is a different application process.

A couple Midwest schools look very favorably upon residents, especially from rural areas or of native descent (down to 1/16). If that applies, it could be a huge benefit to you.

Could have a decent shot at ur state school then if you do well on your MCAT. I would retake that D though, if I were an adcom I would find that troubling. If you do decide to go DO then retake any science courses you have a C or below in.

Solid advice. I'd refer to touchpause13 with any DO-specific questions.

Sorry for highjacking, but I have similar questions. What about 4C/C+ in physics and orgo yet overall undergrad GPA is a 3.6? 3.45 for sGPA.

Might raise an eyebrow, but passable. If you can do well on the MCAT in the PS/BS sections you won't get screened out and from therein it's about how holistic your application is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok another question. If I continue my trend I could get up to 3.4 + in s/c ....so would it be better to do an informal postbacc or an SMP?

Kill the MCAT and you have a chance. With your GPA an SMP wouldn't be as helpful.

Ah, not me though, a friend who's on the fence about retaking maybe a couple of those C's

Yeah at my state school I basically have a 1/3 chance of getting in however our medians are pretty high that's why I feel like I won't get in lol.

For one of the classes I'm taking a graduate level course in the same field with the same professor and I'm getting an A so far...so prob won't retake
Also thx for all the replies

Yeah at my state school I basically have a 1/3 chance of getting in however our medians are pretty high that's why I feel like I won't get in lol.

You'd be surprised.

I understand. I just remember when I first joined SDN and people told me I didn't have a chance and shouldn't waste my money applying. I want to give my personal experience because bad grades aren't the end of the world, regardless of the state you're applying from.

Besides, OP could take a gap year in Texas and gain residency if he wants that in-state preference too. Besides, we're opening another THREE medical schools in the near future (2 MD, 1 DO). It's not the worst idea. ;)

Did you tell those people you were from Texas? Of all states, TX is definitely the one I hear ~90% of the 'underdog' stories from. They treat their residents like none other, that's for sure. I am just making sure you're aware you should be careful about applying that experience outside of Texas in confidence, as it is certainly not typical. If Texas and California combined into one application we might relieve a lot of stress on these forums....

I understand. I just remember when I first joined SDN and people told me I didn't have a chance and shouldn't waste my money applying. I want to give my personal experience because bad grades aren't the end of the world, regardless of the state you're applying from.

Besides, OP could take a gap year in Texas and gain residency if he wants that in-state preference too. We're opening another THREE medical schools in the near future (2 MD, 1 DO). It's not the worst idea. ;)
Sign me up! Haha a lot of my family lives in Texas and actually my older brother went to high school there and attended a UT.

Sign me up! Haha a lot of my family lives in Texas and actually my older brother went to high school there and attended a UT.

I'm not sure that moving for residency reasons would be very smart. Theoretically it does sound like a good idea, but seems like a pretty transparent loophole if you suddenly moved to Texas. But if you were to attempt anything to improve your chances, it wouldn't be the worst idea I've seen on these forums.

I'm not sure that moving for residency reasons would be very smart. Theoretically it does sound like a good idea, but seems like a pretty transparent loophole if you suddenly moved to Texas. But if you were to attempt anything to improve your chances, it wouldn't be the worst idea I've seen on these forums.
;)I think I'll stay put. I'd be overjoyed to attend my state school.

To OP, an SMP is made for your situation. A low GPA with a high MCAT score in combination with a good SMP program will lead to acceptances.

Good luck

Besides, OP could take a gap year in Texas and gain residency if he wants that in-state preference too. We're opening another THREE medical schools in the near future (2 MD, 1 DO). It's not the worst idea. ;)

Opening three medical schools is actually a worse idea than you think. The bottleneck for doctors isn't the amount of seats in medical schools; it's the amount of residency spots. Not getting into a medical school is better than having an MD, not getting a residency, and having all that debt.

Agree. I'm on a similar boat..except I'm from CA and didn't even do all that well on the MCAT (according to sdn standards). Show your commitment to improvement and medicine (strong upward trend/postbacc/SMP), have good ECs that show passion, apply early and broadly, and be able to advocate strongly for yourself in applications. I think you'll be okay as long as you can maintain a strong record from this point on.