CSUs (Sacramento, Northridge, Long Beach)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I applied to CSUN, and they sent me an email in December saying we would hear back from them about acceptances in late March.
 
I applied to CSU SAC, they said they wont be reviewing the application until Feb. We might hear them back for interviews in late Feb/March.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got off the phone with Jerri @ CSU SAC. She said we should hear back by next week for interviews via email. They are picking 80/300 applicants in the interview pool.
 
I got off the phone with Jerri @ CSU SAC. She said we should hear back by next week for interviews via email. They are picking 80/300 applicants in the interview pool.

Northridge probably has about 1200 applicants this year. I wonder why they're so much more popular than the other CSU's...
 
I don't know how a $35-45k program went to $77-100k by adding 1 semester, a few more hours of clinical times and a designation from MPT to DPT. Something just doesn't seem right, especially for a state program.
 
It's a long story from MPT to DPT; they just wanna take advantage of the students as much as possible; I'll probably apply to CSUN & CSULB in near future
 
CSU N on their site says they will respond by early March. They were incredibly rude to me on the phone as well so im not sure why they are so competitive.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got a rejection email from CSUN, saying that I did not meet the minimum 200 observation hours. However, I have 211 verified observation hours! I'm not really considering them anymore, because I got into my top two programs, but it feels wrong to be rejected due to an administrative error! I really haven't been impressed with them. They never return emails and specifically say not to contact them. I replied asking them to look at my application again to verify that I actually do have the minimum hours, just on the principle. We'll see what happens...
 
Just got a rejection email from CSUN, saying that I did not meet the minimum 200 observation hours. However, I have 211 verified observation hours! I'm not really considering them anymore, because I got into my top two programs, but it feels wrong to be rejected due to an administrative error! I really haven't been impressed with them. They never return emails and specifically say not to contact them. I replied asking them to look at my application again to verify that I actually do have the minimum hours, just on the principle. We'll see what happens...

Dude thats a major bummer! Hope that stuff gets cleared up. I hate application errors...
 
Just got a rejection email from CSUN, saying that I did not meet the minimum 200 observation hours. However, I have 211 verified observation hours! I'm not really considering them anymore, because I got into my top two programs, but it feels wrong to be rejected due to an administrative error! I really haven't been impressed with them. They never return emails and specifically say not to contact them. I replied asking them to look at my application again to verify that I actually do have the minimum hours, just on the principle. We'll see what happens...
Wow. Im sorry to hear that! Hopefully all your hours were verified by Jan 15th.
 
Wow. Im sorry to hear that! Hopefully all your hours were verified by Jan 15th.

Yes, all my hours were verified by December of last year. I did submit my PTCAS last August, though, so maybe they only looked at the hours I had done by that point? This would be super frustrating if I hadn't already gotten into my top choice programs!
 
Yes, all my hours were verified by December of last year. I did submit my PTCAS last August, though, so maybe they only looked at the hours I had done by that point? This would be super frustrating if I hadn't already gotten into my top choice programs!

Eh, unless it was UCSF/partnered program, I wouldn't lose a thought over not being able to attend a CSU.
 
CSUs are state funded while Western is privately funded, I don't know for certain but I would assume that Western would have more money available to go towards their program vs. a state-funded school in a state that is in an obscene amount of debt. Just a thought though, I'm sure either school would be great to attend.
 
Just got a rejection email from CSUN, saying that I did not meet the minimum 200 observation hours. However, I have 211 verified observation hours! I'm not really considering them anymore, because I got into my top two programs, but it feels wrong to be rejected due to an administrative error! I really haven't been impressed with them. They never return emails and specifically say not to contact them. I replied asking them to look at my application again to verify that I actually do have the minimum hours, just on the principle. We'll see what happens...

CSUN just emailed me and said they found their mistake regarding my observation hours, and that I am now accepted in the program! I'll be declining my spot, but it's good to know that they fixed their mistake.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
CSUN just emailed me and said they found their mistake regarding my observation hours, and that I am now accepted in the program! I'll be declining my spot, but it's good to know that they fixed their mistake.
Ahhh! Congrats!! I havent heard back from them!! Im nervous..
 
CSUN just emailed me and said they found their mistake regarding my observation hours, and that I am now accepted in the program! I'll be declining my spot, but it's good to know that they fixed their mistake.

Congrats to getting to your top school! I am sure CSUN will regret they lost a great candidate. It is great to see they admitted to their error, I hope they haven't been making other silly mistakes that could prevent others from getting in. If you don't mind, what are your stats okramango?
 
Ahhh! Congrats!! I havent heard back from them!! Im nervous..

They only gave until March 4 to accept or decline their offer. I imagine a lot of people have been accepted to other programs by now and will decline, so they might be sending out another round of acceptances soon.

Congrats to getting to your top school! I am sure CSUN will regret they lost a great candidate. It is great to see they admitted to their error, I hope they haven't been making other silly mistakes that could prevent others from getting in. If you don't mind, what are your stats okramango?

Thanks! I see from your screen name that you are a fellow career-changer 👍
Overall GPA: 3.67
Prereq GPA: 4.00
GRE V:161 Q:158 AW:5.5
Observation: 200+ hrs in 3 settings
Nontrad student with lots of work and volunteer experience
Accepted to all my schools: NAU, TWU, CSUN
 
They only gave until March 4 to accept or decline their offer. I imagine a lot of people have been accepted to other programs by now and will decline, so they might be sending out another round of acceptances soon.



Thanks! I see from your screen name that you are a fellow career-changer 👍
Overall GPA: 3.67
Prereq GPA: 4.00
GRE V:161 Q:158 AW:5.5
Observation: 200+ hrs in 3 settings
Nontrad student with lots of work and volunteer experience
Accepted to all my schools: NAU, TWU, CSUN
Ahh. Hopefully! I thought we wouldnt find out til mid or late march..
 
They only gave until March 4 to accept or decline their offer. I imagine a lot of people have been accepted to other programs by now and will decline, so they might be sending out another round of acceptances soon.



Thanks! I see from your screen name that you are a fellow career-changer 👍
Overall GPA: 3.67
Prereq GPA: 4.00
GRE V:161 Q:158 AW:5.5
Observation: 200+ hrs in 3 settings
Nontrad student with lots of work and volunteer experience
Accepted to all my schools: NAU, TWU, CSUN

Great stats! Yes, nontrad student here, first time applicant. I only applied to CSUN so far, and if I don't get in I will be applying to Asuza and St. Augustine in San Marcos. Hoping to hear from them soon. My stats aren't that great, but I hope they notice that during my last two years of undergrad my GPA was over 3.5 (3.7/3.65).

Overall GPA: 3.26
Prereq GPA: 3.68
GRE V:146 Q:151 AW:4.5
Observation: 2000+ hours
Certifications: NSCA-CPT

ExcitedPT: Is CSUN your first choice? Crossing my fingers we both get in! Every year there are more and more applicants.
 
They only gave until March 4 to accept or decline their offer. I imagine a lot of people have been accepted to other programs by now and will decline, so they might be sending out another round of acceptances soon.



Thanks! I see from your screen name that you are a fellow career-changer 👍
Overall GPA: 3.67
Prereq GPA: 4.00
GRE V:161 Q:158 AW:5.5
Observation: 200+ hrs in 3 settings
Nontrad student with lots of work and volunteer experience
Accepted to all my schools: NAU, TWU, CSUN


Did they really only give you three days to decide? What is the logic in that?
 
Did they really only give you three days to decide? What is the logic in that?

Yes, that's right - three days to decide, after months of not hearing anything. They didn't ask for any deposit, though, so someone could easily accept, then decline later. You just have to sign a form saying whether you accept or decline.
 
Just got an acceptance email from CSU SAC! Anyone else is thinking about going to SAC? Also, for people who got accepted to CSULB and CSUN.. do they have cadavers?
 
Congrats!!! And I got in too! I am most likely going to attend csu sac. Where are you deciding between?

Haha! CONGRATS! It is between LLU and CSU SAC. I am leaning more towards LLU, it is my number 1 choice but the CSU SAC tuition is so enticing! Are you waiting to hear from another school?
 
Haha! CONGRATS! It is between LLU and CSU SAC. I am leaning more towards LLU, it is my number 1 choice but the CSU SAC tuition is so enticing! Are you waiting to hear from another school?

Dunno man, unless I am mistaken, Sac State's tuition is only below LLU's by like $5-8k... Might be off some if Sac State's summer tuition is less than Fall/Spring. Have you crunched the numbers? I'm curious myself.
 
Dunno man, unless I am mistaken, Sac State's tuition is only below LLU's by like $5-8k... Might be off some if Sac State's summer tuition is less than Fall/Spring. Have you crunched the numbers? I'm curious myself.

Haha, now im starting to doubt myself. I know LLU is about $97k for three years and when I talked to Jerri at CSU SAC, she mentioned it was $77k for tuition. Did you mean $5-8K per year? Cause that can make sense.
 
Haha, now im starting to doubt myself. I know LLU is about $97k for three years and when I talked to Jerri at CSU SAC, she mentioned it was $77k for tuition. Did you mean $5-8K per year? Cause that can make sense.

I took the LLU numbers from here:
http://www.llu.edu/allied-health/sahp/admissions/tuition.page?

Maybe its because I neglected to include LLU's addition fees: $738 per quarter. Regardless, CSU's tuition is absurd for a CA state school. Do any of the two programs offer an academic or needs based scholarship from the school themselves?
 
I took the LLU numbers from here:
http://www.llu.edu/allied-health/sahp/admissions/tuition.page?

Maybe its because I neglected to include LLU's addition fees: $738 per quarter. Regardless, CSU's tuition is absurd for a CA state school. Do any of the two programs offer an academic or needs based scholarship from the school themselves?

URK! Dude thats so weird! I got an information sheet that said $97k but crunching the numbers you provided adds up to $85K. But adding the $738 per quarter does roughly add up $97K.. maybe a bit less.

I just received an email from LLU saying that they do give out scholarships but I am not sure what kind. I am very new at this loans/scholarship.

I havent researched CSU SAC yet.
 
URK! Dude thats so weird! I got an information sheet that said $97k but crunching the numbers you provided adds up to $85K. But adding the $738 per quarter does roughly add up $97K.. maybe a bit less.

I just received an email from LLU saying that they do give out scholarships but I am not sure what kind. I am very new at this loans/scholarship.

I havent researched CSU SAC yet.

If LLU offers an academic scholarship up front from the school itself, that may level the field a bit. However, if CSUS offers one, that may seal the deal. More to look into/ think about. 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haha! CONGRATS! It is between LLU and CSU SAC. I am leaning more towards LLU, it is my number 1 choice but the CSU SAC tuition is so enticing! Are you waiting to hear from another school?

I agree! 20k is a big difference!! And rent is super cheap at sac.

I am probably going to CSU sac because its the only school I've gotten into lol. I liked the campus at CSU sac and the vibe I got from the students and faculty was great. And with them getting new facilities next year, it says something about their program, especially with the state's budget cuts. But there are some cons... like how anatomy is only one semester... and how we get pre cut/used cadavers.

I am wait listed at Samuel Merritt (#1), western university, USC, and chapman. If I get into Samuel Merritt soon, then ill have a decision to make.
 
From what I have heard about tuition for csus from a current student.

The fall, spring, and summer semester tuition are all the same price. After the first two years of school you begin your clinicals, 3 separate settings lasting 12 weeks each. During these times even though you are not in school you are still paying the tuition for the fall, spring, and summer. Based on this fact I would not choose csu sac if I was accepted to another school. I have friends who go to Merritt and San Francisco and they all say how beneficial it is to apply what you are learning during 4 or 6 week clinicals during your semester bc then they have access to faculty and your not paying money to not be there!

Also from what I have heard one semester of anatomy where you have precut cadavers is not as beneficial as doing it yourself over a years time.

That is why I think going to a private school is worth the extra money, especially since they are pretty close in cost anyways.