This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CSUS or UCSF/SFSU

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

atg_2

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I have been fortunate enough to be referred for acceptance into two of my top choices, Sacramento State University and San Francisco State's joint DPT program; however, I am currently indecisive whether which one to attend and need a little push in either direction. I have a general idea of where I want to go, but I want to see what other peoples' opinions are in the matter and to learn more about the programs in your perspectives before I finalize my decision. I know the general consensus is to choose the most affordable program, but I want to know what you would do if you were in my position.

Assume that I have a place to stay, "rent-free," in both programs due to connections. Other costs are free game to discuss. How do you feel about the stats, networking, and opportunities of the programs? If you applied to these programs, what stood out to you?

Any feedback helps, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

SF is the most competitive place in the US to live in. If you already have access to a room there, that is tremendously lucky.

Members don't see this ad :)
SF is the most competitive place in the US to live in. If you already have access to a room there, that is tremendously lucky.
But how is the area itself? Is it worth the extra costs compared to Sacramento? I'd love to know your thoughts on the program, it'd help a lot!

I am actually in the exact same position as you and have found it equally difficult to decide between the programs at SF and Sac. I was thoroughly impressed by the students and faculty at SF during the interview weekend, but am debating whether or not the prestige is worth the higher tuition and hassle of commuting between campuses. I was surprised by how much I liked Sac state’s program, and really enjoyed the collaborative feel amongst the students. It’s also pretty appealing that we would essentially get the summer after our first year off from school, but I am a little concerned that Sac State doesn’t have as great of a reputation as SF. I feel like my head is telling me to go to Sac State, but my heart is wanting to go to SF. I would love to hear where your thoughts are at/if you’ve made a decision!

I attend the nursing program at CSUS (it's in the same building as PT) and from talking to the PT students it is a nice program. Unless your parents are willing to pay the extra cost for UCSF I don't believe it's worth the extra money.

I've previous BS/MS degrees from UC Davis and CSUS. And my advice is choose the more affordable program.

I am actually in the exact same position as you and have found it equally difficult to decide between the programs at SF and Sac. I was thoroughly impressed by the students and faculty at SF during the interview weekend, but am debating whether or not the prestige is worth the higher tuition and hassle of commuting between campuses. I was surprised by how much I liked Sac state’s program, and really enjoyed the collaborative feel amongst the students. It’s also pretty appealing that we would essentially get the summer after our first year off from school, but I am a little concerned that Sac State doesn’t have as great of a reputation as SF. I feel like my head is telling me to go to Sac State, but my heart is wanting to go to SF. I would love to hear where your thoughts are at/if you’ve made a decision!
Upon much thought, I've decided to attend Sac State's program. After receiving advice from many different people that I feel have credibility, Sac State offers more pros than SF for me on a personal level, despite the good reputation SF has. Sac State offers opportunities to attend professional development conferences in order to network, and build a reputation as a person. From what I've been told, employers do not care which school you graduate from as long as you have your license. The cheapest route for the same education is recommended and that your experiences in your clinical rotations is what really matters. So even if I have free housing for both programs, Sac is currently at least approximately $30,000 cheaper than SF in tuition costs alone for all 3 years, not counting additional costs of living and other miscellaneous costs. I've also been told that Sac is still starting to develop in terms of bringing in more people to match those in major cities like SF or LA. So in conclusion, I will go with the cheapest route and make up my own reputation by doubling-down on expanding my networking to compensate for the opportunities SF offers and hope this investment pays off. But this was one of the hardest decisions of my life. We are the same... that my heart too wants to go to SF, but my head tells me to go to Sac. In my case, I've just decided to listen to what my head is telling me. Both are wonderful programs, so I'm thankful to even be in a position to choose.

I'd love to know what you've decided to choose as well!

Reactions: 1 user
I attend the nursing program at CSUS (it's in the same building as PT) and from talking to the PT students it is a nice program. Unless your parents are willing to pay the extra cost for UCSF I don't believe it's worth the extra money.

I've previous BS/MS degrees from UC Davis and CSUS. And my advice is choose the more affordable program.
Unfortunately I'd be managing all the costs myself, so I'd probably have to agree that it's not worth the extra money. I've been told it's the exact same education, just with different opportunities or facilities. Problem is that we're talking about an approximate $30,000 difference between SF and Sac, with SF being ~$110,000 and Sac being around ~$80,000. Though these are approximations, it's still an insane amount of money. Thank you for your input!

Hey everyone, I know this is an old thread but I was accepted to Sac State’s DPT program this year and I’m wondering if anyone knows of any grad students that are looking for a roommate?

Hey everyone, I know this is an old thread but I was accepted to Sac State’s DPT program this year and I’m wondering if anyone knows of any grad students that are looking for a roommate?
Hey! I was wondering what your stats were for getting accepted into Sac State?? Thanks!

Greetings all,

I have been fortunate enough to be referred for acceptance into two of my top choices, Sacramento State University and San Francisco State's joint DPT program; however, I am currently indecisive whether which one to attend and need a little push in either direction. I have a general idea of where I want to go, but I want to see what other peoples' opinions are in the matter and to learn more about the programs in your perspectives before I finalize my decision. I know the general consensus is to choose the most affordable program, but I want to know what you would do if you were in my position.

Assume that I have a place to stay, "rent-free," in both programs due to connections. Other costs are free game to discuss. How do you feel about the stats, networking, and opportunities of the programs? If you applied to these programs, what stood out to you?

Hi!! What were your stats that got you into Sac State?? Thanks!

Upon much thought, I've decided to attend Sac State's program. After receiving advice from many different people that I feel have credibility, Sac State offers more pros than SF for me on a personal level, despite the good reputation SF has. Sac State offers opportunities to attend professional development conferences in order to network, and build a reputation as a person. From what I've been told, employers do not care which school you graduate from as long as you have your license. The cheapest route for the same education is recommended and that your experiences in your clinical rotations is what really matters. So even if I have free housing for both programs, Sac is currently at least approximately $30,000 cheaper than SF in tuition costs alone for all 3 years, not counting additional costs of living and other miscellaneous costs. I've also been told that Sac is still starting to develop in terms of bringing in more people to match those in major cities like SF or LA. So in conclusion, I will go with the cheapest route and make up my own reputation by doubling-down on expanding my networking to compensate for the opportunities SF offers and hope this investment pays off. But this was one of the hardest decisions of my life. We are the same... that my heart too wants to go to SF, but my head tells me to go to Sac. In my case, I've just decided to listen to what my head is telling me. Both are wonderful programs, so I'm thankful to even be in a position to choose.

I'd love to know what you've decided to choose as well!
Can you speak about how Sac's program is? Do you feel the faculty provide support rather than set you up for failure like other professional programs? Are many students failing out due to their passing rating being a B-?

Greetings all,

How was Sac State's interview? Was it more ethical questions, or just basic interview questions we can expect.