Cuba

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tazlmc5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an American Citizen exploring the possibility of attending Medical school in Cuba. Does anyone know where you must stay in Cuba for a certain amount of time, after the completion of the program. Is anyone currently in that program and if so what are your thoughts, and for any Cubans what are your thoughts on the Medical school ?

Members don't see this ad.

As an American citizen/resident, are you even allowed to go to Cuba for education? It's my understanding that if you do, when you get back to the States, you will get to spend at least your residency in a prison cell for violating the travel embargo.

EDIT - apparently you're not expressly forbidden from traveling there, but you can't spend any money. Have fun.

You must be an American Citizen of Hispanic descent and you must speak Spanish like a native.

The only medical school where you could study in Cuba is the recently created ELAM ( Escuela Latinoamericana de Medicina). Its Mission? -indoctrination and propaganda. The school was created to "provide the opportunity of a medical education to those students coming from Latin American who have been unable to reach their dream of becoming doctors because of the long term imperialist exploitation...blah, blah, blah"

The students usually study there for free, thru treaties with their governments at home and the cuban government which in return gets to have some hemispheric influence and to promote "good will".

Medical education has suffered in Cuba terribly in the last decades. There are no resources, no access to the latest technology, and most students are failing their native countries examinations when they get back home. The result?- They are not being allowed to practice. Students are being taught by videos and proctored by senior students, which has generated a lot of protests and controversy...but you get what you get for free........SO...

I am curious to see where your idea to go to Cuba to study medicine came from.