Cuny F replacement policy vs med school policy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheSuperColider

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to a cuny and have replaced 2 F grades that I got in freshman year to As. The cuny system removes the F from my gpa calculation but the F stays on my transcript. Will med schools look at my GPA the same way as cuny does? Or did retaking those F grades not help my GPA ?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
AAMC will calculate GPA of all credits regardless of school policy.

Reactions: 1 user
AAMC will see all your grades (both F's and A's), and will include them all in your final GPA calculation.

Retaking those classes technically did help your GPA (as in the average will now be around a C instead of an F), but your new grades will not replace your old ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
AAMC will see all your grades (both F's and A's), and will include them all in your final GPA calculation.

Retaking those classes technically did help your GPA (as in the average will now be around a C instead of an F), but your new grades will not replace your old ones.
Is there anyway I can change the F grade to a pass/fail (Anything to help remove the F)?

Is there anyway I can change the F grade to a pass/fail (Anything to help remove the F)?

I'm unaware of the grading policy at cuny, but unless there's a way you can somehow change your freshman years F's to be displayed as pass/fail (or replaced) on your transcript, then the AAMC will see those grades (and consequently factor them into your final GPA calculation) when you submit your transcripts to fill out your primary application for med school.

I go to a cuny and have replaced 2 F grades that I got in freshman year to As. The cuny system removes the F from my gpa calculation but the F stays on my transcript. Will med schools look at my GPA the same way as cuny does? Or did retaking those F grades not help my GPA ?
I am very aware of the grading policy at CUNY. Unfortunately, your F will be calculated toward your GPA when applying to medical school even though if CUNY doesnt calculate it toward your GPA.