Curious about Neurology Residency Application Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

outerdark13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now, this -may- seem really stupid, but I genuinely am unsure as to precisely how the process of applying to a Neuro residency works. Yes, I have tried googling but to no avail; I would like a quick and dirty step by step explanation. I literally know nothing about this, so please be explicit. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Make an account on eras. Fill out the boxes. Choose programs. Assign letters and pictures. Wait for interviews. Interview. Wait for match day

You need to match into both a prelim year for PGY 1 and an advanced program for PGY 2-4 separately, or you can match into a categorical program that includes PGY 1-4. Among advanced programs, many have agreements with the local department of medicine to reserve spots for them, but that is program-dependent.

To apply, you get LoRs, write a personal statement, put a lot of information into a website, and then submit the whole shebang. Programs review it, and then send out an invitation to interview if they like you. If they like you when you interview, and you like them, then you both rank each other highly. The match algorithm takes care of the rest. Neurology used to be an early match through SFmatch, but now it is standard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just in case you are looking for more detail (i think you havent started med school yet?). Around early July or whenever your fourth year of med school you get a code from your school that allows you to open an application on the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). You start working on your application filling out all the detail of your CV, putting in your work, volunteer, research experience mostly just from med school, but maybe some key stuff prior to med school as well if relevant and if it will add something to the application. Gather together your letters of recommendation. Select the programs you're interested in applying to and save them to a list on the service. Write your personal statement, save that, etc. You can submit your ERAS application to all of programs you selected starting in mid-september. Neurology itself is a pgy-2 (post graduate year, after you graduate from medical school) specialty, meaning that you will have to do a preliminary year in internal medicine first before starting neurology-specific training. I didn't apply to neurology, so i dont know *precisely* how it works, but it seems like some (or all) programs have that preliminary training built in, for a total of four years of residency (one year in internal medicine and three years neurology), and some have it where you only apply there as a separate program after looking elsewhere for your preliminary year. No matter what, it seems like for all you still have to apply to both the neurology program itself as well as a prelim year, so you would have to apply to both types of programs, interview for both types of programs, and match into both types to achieve a successful neurology match. Maybe the details of that are a bit off but that is the basic gist and what i can say to you as a fourth year!

Good luck!

Now, this -may- seem really stupid, but I genuinely am unsure as to precisely how the process of applying to a Neuro residency works. Yes, I have tried googling but to no avail; I would like a quick and dirty step by step explanation. I literally know nothing about this, so please be explicit. Thanks in advance!

Just in case you are looking for more detail (i think you havent started med school yet?). Around early July or whenever your fourth year of med school you get a code from your school that allows you to open an application on the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). You start working on your application filling out all the detail of your CV, putting in your work, volunteer, research experience mostly just from med school, but maybe some key stuff prior to med school as well if relevant and if it will add something to the application. Gather together your letters of recommendation. Select the programs you're interested in applying to and save them to a list on the service. Write your personal statement, save that, etc. You can submit your ERAS application to all of programs you selected starting in mid-september. Neurology itself is a pgy-2 (post graduate year, after you graduate from medical school) specialty, meaning that you will have to do a preliminary year in internal medicine first before starting neurology-specific training. I didn't apply to neurology, so i dont know *precisely* how it works, but it seems like some (or all) programs have that preliminary training built in, for a total of four years of residency (one year in internal medicine and three years neurology), and some have it where you only apply there as a separate program after looking elsewhere for your preliminary year. No matter what, it seems like for all you still have to apply to both the neurology program itself as well as a prelim year, so you would have to apply to both types of programs, interview for both types of programs, and match into both types to achieve a successful neurology match. Maybe the details of that are a bit off but that is the basic gist and what i can say to you as a fourth year!

Good luck!
Lol nah, i'm actually a second year, but I've never sat down and formally discussed the match process itself in great detail as you've listed above, here. I find that people can be sort of evasive at times, but I wanted a human to human description of the process, so thanks! I appreciate it, and wish you the best of luck as you progress through interview season.

no prob... Didn't know if medical student (accepted) meant that you hadn't started yet. But ya before I went through the process itself it was all totally confusing to me. Good luck yourself!

Lol nah, i'm actually a second year, but I've never sat down and formally discussed the match process itself in great detail as you've listed above, here. I find that people can be sort of evasive at times, but I wanted a human to human description of the process, so thanks! I appreciate it, and wish you the best of luck as you progress through interview season.