Current/Accepted DOs - Is letter from DO critical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gipper

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am familiar with osteopathic medicine and doctors but have never worked closely with a DO - close enough to get a letter. I have a letter from an MD who knows me really, really well.

What is more important - that the letter is from a doctor who knows me well or that the letter is from a DO?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Members don't see this ad.

i would say an MD who knows you really well is better...but certain schools do "require" a DO letter....not all require it though

I would try to get both. Since the MD knows you, he could give the ADCOMs more insight. However, as was stated before, a lot of schools require a letter from a DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
it depends on if the school requires a DO letter or not..

of the six DO schools to which i am applying, none say that the letter is required...

that being said, perhaps it is less necessary?

if i were to shadow a DO for a couple of days and ask for a letter, what would this letter say/add? are they looking for this letter to state that i observed a DO therefore i know more about being a DO?

if so, this letter would be less of a personal letter, more of a technical letter.

I am familiar with osteopathic medicine and doctors but have never worked closely with a DO - close enough to get a letter. I have a letter from an MD who knows me really, really well.

What is more important - that the letter is from a doctor who knows me well or that the letter is from a DO?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

You don't need a letter from DO ujless you are applying to schools that require it.