Current Events Discussion For Writing Sample

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

princessd3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know too much about what is going on or even what important stuff happened in the last decade. Maybe we could all be enlightened if we start a discussion on current events or possible essay questions......Please....everyone participate...It could help us all. I have 3 weeks to become knowledgable enough to write a good essay on any given topic...Well who's gonna start it off?

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like the writing samples don't generally require knowledge of current events. Depending on the topic, you may be able to use current events as examples to support your arguments, but you certainly don't have to do this to get a good writing sample score.

:idea:

Just a suggestion, but you may want to sign up with new york times.com. Its free and I read it every morning while eating my breakfast. it has a ton of info pertaining to current events and a decent health/ science section

;)

I'm a huge fan of cnn.com. Up to date, and pretty concise summaries of what is going on. I read it while eating breakfast, or talking on IM. :) I used the be the same way, having no idea what was going on outside of my little college bubble, but now I'm more in the know.

for the writing sample they ask you to analyze a general statement. you have to give an example, but a made-up hypothetical one works just as well as a real one.
of course, knowing what's going on in the world may be beneficial regardless ;)