Currently Ph.D. Student Applying for M.D. / M.D.-Ph.D.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LukeLostInForest

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I know this is a reallllllly long post and I may ask a lot. But I really appreciate if you can at least give me some ideas and help me out a little bit....

I am currently a second year engineering Ph.D. student from one of the top 10 universities. My current research direction is closely focusing on neurology.

A little bit background -

I finished my ugrad from a top 20 universities within the same engineering field. I have an overall 3.95 GPA with mainly engineering-related coursework. I did some (I would not say extensive but enough) research focusing on both clinical medical imaging as well as nano material. I finished most of the pre-med courses and completed the shadowing. During my first year at my Ph.D., I got my master degree and satisfied the all pre-med requirements (barely). I am about to take MCAT (and hope that goes well).

A little bit motivation -

When I was an ugrad student, I was thinking about being a doctor (M.D.) but at the same time, I would like be a researcher to develop novel methods/modalities. As a result, I chose my current engineering field. As my degree requirements were too restricted and heavy, I can only finish part of my pre-med courses and also some of the requirements.
During my third year, I decided to apply for a Ph.D. program simply because I did not see myself finish all the requirements within time. Also, at that time, I thought I would be satisfied/happy by doing solely research.
After I went to grad school, I somehow love what I am researching on and I do pretty much enjoy it from time to time. Yet, still, I find out that there is something missing in my current program. like I am not able to help patients from my first hand. I am not able to treat people even I have developed something. I also miss the feeling to interact with patients and all those things. So I realize my interest lies in the middle of clinics and lab research. I see myself ultimately doing clinical researches and helping patients in the first hand. And... this is what a Ph.D. program does not provide.

My questions and concerns -
There are basically three ways I can do for now:
1. Finish my current program (probably another 4-5 years) and apply to M.D. later
2. Apply to M.D./Ph.D. and quit my current program if I get in.
3. Apply to M.D only and quit my current program if I get in. Try to transfer to M.D./Ph.D. later.

The main concerns are:
1. My coursework in my ugrad is engineering-focused instead of heavily chem/bio-focused. Even though my GPA is not bad, I use AP to barely satisfied the requirements and I do have 3-4 Pass/Faill classes.
2. I have enough clinical/nonclinical research experiences during ugrad which helps me to a great grad program but I have not that much of clinical shadowing (~60hr) and have really limited clinical volunteering.
3. Also... M.D./Ph.D. would cover all the tuition and also give out some stipend which would help me a lot...

I am not aiming to get into a med school that rank as high as my current program but at least a decent one. I am not sure... which option would be a better choice / has a better chance.

I would really appreciate any input/thoughts you may have :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Med school is tons of memorization. If you think you can memorize better than everyone else you know med school would likely be the more profitable option. A tenured engineering professor is going to earn six figures and work thirty hours a week. Most doctors are working sixty plus hours a week. If I was driven by money and felt I could win competitions for top residencies I would lean towards nee school. Otherwise I would take a tenure track role. As a professor you get to work to improve people's lives who are hoping to improve humanity. Maybe you teach a slightly autistic individual an advanced concept and are the difference between him living in poverty and living a middle class life. As a professor you can still consult and run research projects if you want to.

Thank you for your input. I would say it is more of my interest and my willing to attend med school rather than just because of the money issue. And also my end goal would still try to do research / be a professor but just in a clinical setting while you can both treat patients and do the research. That is why I am hoping to get a PhD/MD degree rather than standing alone ones.

Med school is tons of memorization. If you think you can memorize better than everyone else you know med school would likely be the more profitable option. A tenured engineering professor is going to earn six figures and work thirty hours a week. Most doctors are working sixty plus hours a week. If I was driven by money and felt I could win competitions for top residencies I would lean towards nee school. Otherwise I would take a tenure track role. As a professor you get to work to improve people's lives who are hoping to improve humanity. Maybe you teach a slightly autistic individual an advanced concept and are the difference between him living in poverty and living a middle class life. As a professor you can still consult and run research projects if you want to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does your current school have a medical school? If so, do the have the NIH MSTP program?

Yes, we actually do. But I don’t think I can transfer to that program because it require md admission.

I would talk to your PI and then the admissions folks. While you would still have to do the leg work of applying, you could have allies, a fairly seamless transition and still continue your graduate work. It’s not likely, but it seems like the best of all worlds if you like your current project. If you don’t like your current project, that’s a whole other factor that needs to be added to this equation.