CUSOM vs LECOM-E vs Touro- CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor_kay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone...I am having a hard time deciding between three acceptances and was hoping to get some unbiased perspective. I am from MD so I am more drawn to the east coast schools, and Touro-CA seems to be in an unsafe area, but ultimately I want to go to the school that will allow me to become the best doctor I can be. I would appreciate any advice or opinions you all have to offer. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Which school did you like the most? Do you want to specialize?

Which school did you like the most? Do you want to specialize?

I liked CUSOM the most in terms of facilities but I'm not in love with the area. Right now I am leaning towards gastroenterology

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you like Erie? Or no? I felt Erie was on par with Lillington.

I was accepted to both Touro-Ca and CUSOM and ended up going with CUSOM. My advise might be biased but I would probably make the same choice again. I dont know anything about LECOM however

I almost had a stroke when I saw the thread title.

Touro-CA without a doubt.

Did you like Erie? Or no? I felt Erie was on par with Lillington.

I liked the area better as it's less rural and I grew up in a fairly large town so this is what I'm used to, but I've read a lot of things online about students not being happy there

I almost had a stroke when I saw the thread title.

Touro-CA without a doubt.

why do you say so? Touro was initially my top choice but on my tour one of the student tour guides flat out told our group that she wasn't happy there, hence my apprehension. I'm also pretty concerned about how dangerous Vallejo is

Which side of the country you want to residency in is probably a bigger factor than school quality as all three wills get you where you want to go. Personally I would go CUSOM but that's because I don't really like CA.

Reactions: 1 user
I liked the area better as it's less rural and I grew up in a fairly large town so this is what I'm used to, but I've read a lot of things online about students not being happy there

why do you say so? Touro was initially my top choice but on my tour one of the student tour guides flat out told our group that she wasn't happy there, hence my apprehension. I'm also pretty concerned about how dangerous Vallejo is

I generally agree that ranking D.O. schools is pretty useless, but Touro-CA is not even in the same tier as those other schools. If geography is a huge factor for you, then go with that, but if I had your choices it'd be a no brainer. I agree that the school is in a very ghetto location, but it won't really matter much when you're studying 24/7. Also, there are people unhappy at every school. Medical school blows. Most people won't admit or they're good at hiding, but in reality, it just sucks.

Unless you're one of those people with an irrational love for Cali, I wouldn't go to Touro-CA. Their board scores are pretty meh and I hear mixed things about their clinical rotations. I'd go with CUSOM fwiw.

Reactions: 3 users
hey everyone...I am having a hard time deciding between three acceptances and was hoping to get some unbiased perspective. I am from MD so I am more drawn to the east coast schools, and Touro-CA seems to be in an unsafe area, but ultimately I want to go to the school that will allow me to become the best doctor I can be. I would appreciate any advice or opinions you all have to offer. Thanks!
Current MS-1 at CUSOM. Let me know if you have any questions. For what it's worth, pretty much everyone I know is happy to be here, even if it wasn't necessarily their first choice.

Here's the really important thing to consider:

wet barbecue vs SF seafood and/or a Napa wine vs ...well, whatever they eat in Erie.

Reactions: 6 users
whatever they eat in Erie

LOL I wonder about that too... I go to its sister school on the outskirt of Pittsburgh. Here they have fries on EVERYTHING, including SALAD!!! It really doesn't help when I try to learn the LDL/HDL pathway... -.- Also I simply refuse to say "pop" >.<!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I live in SoCal and I'm avoiding all the CA DO schools like the plague. There are sooo many more opportunities for DOs in the east coast.
Many Touro-CA faculty jumped shipped and went to Northstate because of $$$ this year. They also lost a handful of rotation spots because of Northstate. Kaiser dominates a sizable portion of the medical scene in California and it was announced that Northstate would send its students there for clinical rotations, making it harder for Touro-CA students to match there in the future. It will only get worse because Northstate has already applied for class expansion for the incoming class.
Meanwhile, Touro-CA has been open for 18 years but still hasn't opened up a single residency program in the state. The school had its chance but, besides its location, the future doesn't look too bright for Touro-CA. I don't really understand the rational behind Touro-CA being a prestigious school by so many people on this forum when the school has done so poorly to secure GME positions for its students.

LECOM-E is huge in the PA DO world. If you're in the LDP program, make sure you know the attendance rules. You will be in class every day until ~5:00PM, with little exception. Attendance is taken and you get penalized if you skip class. If you're in PBL, you have a much better schedule. Clinical rotations for LECOM-E are mostly in Ohio, PA, and NY. If you put in the effort, you can do anything you want after LECOM.

Don't know anything about CUSOM so I can't comment.

Last edited:
I toured both CUSOM and Touro-CA and didn't send in a secondary to Touro after seeing Viejo and the rundown school facilities.

CUSOM isn't in an exciting location, but the cost of living is very low (do not underestimate the amount you will spend on living expenses on top of school) and Raleigh's less than an hour away.

Another perk is being located near the Triangle, where Duke, UNC, and NC State are located. CUSOM has visiting and full-time professors from those institutions teaching classes.

You all were incredibly helpful and I truly appreciate it! After weighing my pros/cons for each school and factoring in the experiences and insight you all have shared I have decided on CUSOM. Thanks again for all of your help!

Reactions: 1 users

wet barbecue vs SF seafood and/or a Napa wine vs ...well, whatever they eat in Erie.

I'll admit to being tempted by that Napa wine

You all were incredibly helpful and I truly appreciate it! After weighing my pros/cons for each school and factoring in the experiences and insight you all have shared I have decided on CUSOM. Thanks again for all of your help!
Congratulations!!

I've read two threads in pre-osteo today. @Goro's opinion came down to food in both of them.

LOL I wonder about that too... I go to its sister school on the outskirt of Pittsburgh. Here they have fries on EVERYTHING, including SALAD!!! It really doesn't help when I try to learn the LDL/HDL pathway... -.- Also I simply refuse to say "pop" >.<!

I make fun of PA's "fries-on-everything" mentality constantly, but the steak salad at Pourhouse is actually kind of awesome. Give it a try.

I've read two threads in pre-osteo today. @Goro's opinion came down to food in both of them.

LOL, @Goro the food connoisseur? :oops: Goro, do you also advise pre-culinary kids?

I'll admit to being tempted by that Napa wine

Congrats on your decision OP, I just read yesterday that 2 glasses of wine a day ups your HDL! I swear that this is straight out of a med school txbk!

steak salad at Pourhouse is actually kind of awesome

Eww.. -.-

now that OP figured it out, don't mind if I hijack this thread:

WesternU-COMP vs. Touro-CA?

@Henry101

now that OP figured it out, don't mind if I hijack this thread:

WesternU-COMP vs. Touro-CA?

@Henry101

Touro-Nevada
vegas-business-X3.jpg

Yay! Again, feel free to PM me with any questions moving forward, and I believe there is already a Facebook group set up for the 2020 class as well.

Yay! Again, feel free to PM me with any questions moving forward, and I believe there is already a Facebook group set up for the 2020 class as well.
thanks

Honestly they are most likely the same. People say NY and CA are more desirable but that is because of location. The education is the same