CV Length

Started by Glycerin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know that CVs are supposed to be reasonably longer than a resumé. However, I've edited mine many times and had many professors and peers critique it already and it's still 6 full pages long and I have 2 more rotations to go. Is 6-7 pages too long for a CV for the purpose of applying to a residency?
 
I have no input, as I'm in the same place, but how are you putting in your rotations?

Like projects, etc.

Like say
"ABC Hospital - General Medicine
Preceptor: Joe Pharm.D.
Performed blah blah duties blah blah. (Reviewed 60 patient medication profiles daily making adjustments for renal function, disease state, and bacteria sensitivities. Followed anticoagulation on all general medicine patients including dosing adjustments of warfarin. Presented a journal article (insert title here) on high-dose Clopidogrel therapy to staff pharmacists. Presented a 20 minute patient presentation on hyperkalemia and CHF."

I'm having issues with this part!
 
I have no input, as I'm in the same place, but how are you putting in your rotations?

Like projects, etc.

Like say
"ABC Hospital - General Medicine
Preceptor: Joe Pharm.D.
Performed blah blah duties blah blah. (Reviewed 60 patient medication profiles daily making adjustments for renal function, disease state, and bacteria sensitivities. Followed anticoagulation on all general medicine patients including dosing adjustments of warfarin. Presented a journal article (insert title here) on high-dose Clopidogrel therapy to staff pharmacists. Presented a 20 minute patient presentation on hyperkalemia and CHF."

I'm having issues with this part!

I did mine like so:

In-patient Acute Care Pharmacy (Emphasis: Hematology/Oncology) • Institution Name • City, State
Preceptor: Joe Plumber :laugh: , Pharm.D., BCOP
Points of Interest:
Monitored blah blah blah • Reviewed blah blah blah • Researched blah blah blah • Instructed blah blah blah • Counseled blah blah blah • Implemented blah blah blah • ... ... ...

_________

I didn't put titles of journal clubs or presentations in the rotation description, because I have a separate section for my presentations.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so you did count journal clubs and rotation presentations as separate presentations.

Like, would I count the one I did on Propranolol Induced Impotence to 5 other Pharm.D. students in Drug Info?
 
Yeah, I don't think there is a limit in terms of length. The more information you have, the more things to talk about during interviews I guess? In listing out the bulletpoints for each rotation though, some fellows recommend 3 bulletpoints max.

I.E.

Cardiac Care Unit
Preceptor: , Pharm.D., FCCP, BCPS
• Rounded with medical team and attended Cardiology teaching rounds and Cardiology Fellows' journal clubs.
• Presented patient cases and conducted daily patient chart reviews to monitor for efficacy and drug interactions.
• Counseled and educated patients on the use and adverse effects of their medications.

And a separate heading for Presentations, and Professional Projects
 
Make it relevent and length doesn't matter. Personally I'd say residency directors are expecting your rotations to be on there, the rest is just your little be of hawt-sexah-flavor.
 
Yeah, I don't think there is a limit in terms of length. The more information you have, the more things to talk about during interviews I guess? In listing out the bulletpoints for each rotation though, some fellows recommend 3 bulletpoints max.

I.E.

Cardiac Care Unit
Preceptor: , Pharm.D., FCCP, BCPS
• Rounded with medical team and attended Cardiology teaching rounds and Cardiology Fellows’ journal clubs.
• Presented patient cases and conducted daily patient chart reviews to monitor for efficacy and drug interactions.
• Counseled and educated patients on the use and adverse effects of their medications.

And a separate heading for Presentations, and Professional Projects

I've always been told and I personally don't think it is necessary to indicate description of rotations like "rounded with team"...."reviewed charts". Everyone already knows that you round and review medical charts on a clinical rotation. Personally, I would just list rotations and not include bullet points about them unless you did something extraordinary
 
6 pages is about average. I agree in that I wouldn't put a description of your activities on rotations, however I would put a short description after volunteer activities and work experience if needed to clarify why it was relevant.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, it was mentioned as an option for a project, and I decided to tackle it. It was actually a class review (in fact, I did two of them but only one so far was taken to P&T and then implemented), and I did the research and came up with the figures and savings and the pretty charts! 😛


I bet your figures are wrong! :meanie:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad