CV Questions?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simon11

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do I put my CV together to hand to possible residency sites at the Convention coming up? It is 3 pages and I have heard staples are a no no. So paperclip only or a plastic cover or...... any suggestions out there on the best presentations for the conventions would be welcomed.

Members don't see this ad.

How do I put my CV together to hand to possible residency sites at the Convention coming up? It is 3 pages and I have heard staples are a no no. So paperclip only or a plastic cover or...... any suggestions out there on the best presentations for the conventions would be welcomed.

Many programs don't collect CVs anymore. When you apply officially, you'll be required to resubmit the CV anyway.

Funny, but the other day I was eating lunch with a five people who are going to be interviewing at Midyear - and I was the only one who said I prefer unstapled CVs, everyone else said if someone hands them unstapled CV they would instantly mark down that candidate. :rolleyes: I personally just gave mine out unstapled, but of course I had a header with my name and page number on ever single page (mine was 6).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm stapling mine at Midyear - my name/page # is in the header but it just seems easier to keep it all together that way.

Funny, but the other day I was eating lunch with a five people who are going to be interviewing at Midyear - and I was the only one who said I prefer unstapled CVs, everyone else said if someone hands them unstapled CV they would instantly mark down that candidate. :rolleyes: I personally just gave mine out unstapled, but of course I had a header with my name and page number on ever single page (mine was 6).

I never understood things like this (and I'm not directing this at you Hels!). Why would you judge a candidate based on whether they staple a CV or not? Color of the paper? It just seems so arbitrary...like that really is a good judge of whether they're going to be a good resident or not?

I don't know...I'm just not a fan of the whole courting ritual at Midyear...it really turned me off. And when I hear that that many people buy into the whole "to staple or not to staple" goofiness...it just seems silly!

Last year I didn't, but then again, last year I was a P3 and it didn't really matter anyway. This year I'm leaning on the side of stapling, although I've thought about using those mini-binder clips.

I dunno. It seems like such a waste of energy putting a lot of thought into it when there are more important things on which to focus.

Staple it!!!!!!!!! I like the header idea..with name and the page number! Brilliant!

I never understood things like this (and I'm not directing this at you Hels!). Why would you judge a candidate based on whether they staple a CV or not? Color of the paper? It just seems so arbitrary...like that really is a good judge of whether they're going to be a good resident or not?

I don't know...I'm just not a fan of the whole courting ritual at Midyear...it really turned me off. And when I hear that that many people buy into the whole "to staple or not to staple" goofiness...it just seems silly!

I agree that such things are silly. I mean, there are some things that do matter because they show the interest in your program/willingness to apply some effort into making their CV look decent/professionalism, but arbitrary things like stapling CV or not should not be one of them. A CV has to be well-organized, clear, and reader-friendly. Everything else is secondary, IMHO.

per my dean and some profs today at a mid year prep meeting they said for the showcase staple.

I always heard no staples too (actually I heard last year for the first time while I was at Midyear). Per our residency director and preceptors they said for Midyear staples are fine but when submitting CV's with applications then paperclips are better. I dunno, I stapled last year for Midyear and got interviews so I'm not sure if it's a big deal for Midyear. I stapled mine again this year because it was easier.

Residency Director: What do you think...pretty solid candidate...

Residency coordinator: Yeah.. great experience, well trained, great communicator...

Residency Director: I agree... could be an asset to our program..

Residency coordinator: I know... too bad she stapled her CV.. she could've been a great resident for us. Ok, who's next?

Residency Director: What do you think...pretty solid candidate...

Residency coordinator: Yeah.. great experience, well trained, great communicator...

Residency Director: I agree... could be an asset to our program..

Residency coordinator: I know... too bad she stapled her CV.. she could've been a great resident for us. Ok, who's next?

Swingline should get an exhibitor booth..."bringing staples back"

Last year I stapled all my CV's and got interviews at all the places I applied for.