CV vs PASS Info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonotsure

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For our experiences on PASS, is it important that everything we have on there is also on our CV? I have some smaller experiences that I would like to mention on my app but I can't fit onto 3 pages of my CV. Should they include all the same things or is it okay if there are discrepancies? (sorry in advance if this is a stupid question lol)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I have heard, It all depends on the program directors looking at your application.
I have heard some just look at your CV and don't even bother reading the Extracurricular section on PASS.
Now since no one really nows what they look at, I would highly suggest to include those experiences that will increase your chance of getting interview / acceptance in your CV.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
From what I have heard, It all depends on the program directors looking at your application.
I have heard some just look at your CV and don't even bother reading the Extracurricular section on PASS.
Now since no one really nows what they look at, I would highly suggest to include those experiences that will increase your chance of getting interview / acceptance in your CV.

I agree, I don’t think there’s a limit to a CV but there is a limit to a Resume. For residency applications you need to consider an academic CV, it is not a resume something that you would apply to a job with, typically employers just want to know your previous work history and maybe some extracurricular as/volunteer work. The programs pretty much want to see everything you have done/experienced that is relevant to your application.
I also heard that some programs don’t even bother looking at the PASS application and just sift through the CV as previously mentioned, so I would rather put everything on there and have it be a little longer than not.

I don’t think there’s a limit to a CV but there is a limit to a Resume.
You’re correct. But at this stage in the OP’s career, unless they are a non-traditional student, there really is no way to have that long of a CV that’s actually filled with meaningful and significant experiences. It’s got to be full of filler and fluff. I’d cut all that crap out. Do you really need to list that one thing you volunteered at for one weekend on there? Seriously?

Big Hoss

That’s a long CV for someone just starting their career. I bet there’s a ton of fluff and padding in there

You'd be right about the padding haha I'm not sure if my descriptions are too long but I tried to add all the activities I did in dental school and like one or 2 from college that were long-term things (like a job). An ortho faculty at my school (who's writing one of my letters) said that my descriptions lengths were fine but I'm not totally convinced. Thanks for sharing the example Big Hoss!!

So to clarify, it's better to include the most important activities on my CV because that's what they're more likely to focus on? I tried to do that and I have the more long-term activities on my CV and I put some of the one day events I was involved with on my PASS app on the off chance they actually look at that lol

So to clarify, it's better to include the most important activities on my CV because that's what they're more likely to focus on? I tried to do that and I have the more long-term activities on my CV and I put some of the one day events I was involved with on my PASS app on the off chance they actually look at that lol
Out of curiosity, what are you applying to?

Big Hoss

In my experience applying to peds, most of your interview questions will come from your CV and personal statement. Are you really gonna have much to say about that one thing you helped at for one day? Will that one day really make you that much better as a candidate? If you have more substantial experiences, why dilute them with filler?

Big Hoss

For our experiences on PASS, is it important that everything we have on there is also on our CV? I have some smaller experiences that I would like to mention on my app but I can't fit onto 3 pages of my CV. Should they include all the same things or is it okay if there are discrepancies? (sorry in advance if this is a stupid question lol)

I have this same question, but for OMFS

Are you really gonna have much to say about that one thing you helped at for one day? Will that one day really make you that much better as a candidate?

I agree with you on this. I'm definitely going to highlight the important experiences on my CV because I know they look at that more

I would say it is fine that there are discrepancies and to include the small stuff in your pass application section. Make your CV concise yet impactful. I agree with Big Hoss that attempting to get your CV to 2 pages would be wise. quality not quantity.

as far as cutting things out I received some good advice to ensure I check "all the boxes" so although you may be tempted to cut out some of the filler as Big Hoss put it (and I agree with that statement 99% of the time) if that piece of filler was the one teaching experience you have and there is no other teaching experiences/signs of leadership in your CV, I'd leave it.

in other words be well rounded on your C.V.- embellish but don't lie. if they ask you a question on your CV you better be able to answer it. if you have no teaching experience but were a Mentor to a younger student, I'd put that. the advice I received and boxes to be checked were: teaching, research, leadership, volunteering, and then the usual. Also a devoted section to the specialty you're applying to is often a good idea. so an "Orthodontic Related Experiences" header and then your participation in such would likely be viewed favorably.