CVS Pharmacy or Target

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When I did an APPE at Target they had about 10 tech hours per week. The tech worked 4-5 hours on Monday and Friday afternoons. The pharmacist there has to do everything when they tech isn't there. You're constantly interrupted with running the cash register and answering phones, etc... The store closed for a half hour, but the pharmacist stayed in the pharmacy to work and catch up. Also I heard the manager used to come in over an hour early and some of the floaters would stay after the pharmacy closed to catch up. The most scripts in one day when I was there was 120 and something, most days under 100 (70-85 roughly). Apparently Target can't afford to pay a cashier 8 bucks and hour so the pharmacist can get through checking 1 person's medication before being interrupted.

The most ridiculous thing is the store manager would always come over to the pharmacy with the weekly stats and tell the pharmacist what he wants them to focus on. My last week he came over and told her he wanted her to spend more time in the ailes asking if people need help. LOL

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I have a few friends and also friends of friends that works for or have worked for CVS and they all say its way too stressful and the tech hours are being cut constantly... 2 of em lost like 20lbs in a few months lol

I will say though, one of the things that I didn't like about Target was the store manager has a say in the pharmacy and if a customer complains, the store manager has the final say not the pharmacy manager, it's okay if you have a good store manager and allows the pharmacists to do their thing but if you get a ****ty one, then ehhhh

EDIT: lol just read Rxnup's responses... although I've never worked at a CVS, but if it is anything like other pharmacies, I bet all you do is verifying prescriptions, I highly doubt that you actually get the drive through, type, count, and cash register as much as the 2700 store that you dissed... and I also doubt your store is being affected by tech hours getting cut.... now that I think about it, the 2 ppl on here that always defend CVS works at high volume stores... maybe thats the key to happiness at CVS lol

Last edited:
Than where is this mass exit of pharmacist leaving CVS if the conditions are so deplorable? CVS I am pretty sure with the combo of Caremark employees more pharmacist than any other chain.

Bottomline a Pharmacy is only as good as it's Pharmacy staff- as with any job you have some people who love it and some people who hate their jobs. You guys act as if every CVS pharmacist hates their job and that's so far from the truth. Once again tell me how bad corporate treats CVS employees and than please tell me the wonderful things WAGS corporate is doing to treat their employees. Hmmmm maybe cut their tech hours- every CVS that I know that sits across or down the street from a WAGS is staffed far better than the WAGS. I currently date a Pharmacist at WAGS so I know of their conditions: it's rare that you can get a Monday off in WAGS- wow that's very nice- have all your pharmacist work on Monday's lol. Also, how about WAGS pushing or in her terms "forcing" all pharmacist to become preceptors? Why do you think WAGS is pushing all it's pharmacist to become preceptors???? Think about it get back to me.

lol WAG sucks just as much as CVS. I can assure you that I can interchange CVS and WAG and it will still ring true

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not a pharmacist yet but I feel like we came to a conclusion. Retail sucks in general. Everyone's different and some agree with what corporate does to them and some don't.

The ones who don't agree with them, have a hard time brushing things off to the side and the ones who agree, just brush things off easily.

My two cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not a pharmacist yet but I feel like we came to a conclusion. Retail sucks in general. Everyone's different and some agree with what corporate does to them and some don't.

The ones who don't agree with them, have a hard time brushing things off to the side and the ones who agree, just brush things off easily.

My two cents

I LOVE retail. I just can't support WAG or CVS. I have metrics and sales initiatives but it's manageable on top of my daily tasks because they give me enough tech help. we do roughly 1800 scripts per week and are allowed anywhere between 215-230 tech hours and extra 10-16 hrs of floater rph help. immunizations? no problem. surveys? no problem. auto-refills? no problem. weekly sales report? no problem. monthly c2 audits? no problem. recalls? no problem. quarterly accuracy meeting? no problem. monthly licenses verification? no problem. yearly staff evaluations? no problem.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a few friends and also friends of friends that works for or have worked for CVS and they all say its way too stressful and the tech hours are being cut constantly... 2 of em lost like 20lbs in a few months lol

I will say though, one of the things that I didn't like about Target was the store manager has a say in the pharmacy and if a customer complains, the store manager has the final say not the pharmacy manager, it's okay if you have a good store manager and allows the pharmacists to do their thing but if you get a ****** one, then ehhhh

EDIT: lol just read Rxnup's responses... although I've never worked at a CVS, but if it is anything like other pharmacies, I bet all you do is verifying prescriptions, I highly doubt that you actually get the drive through, type, count, and cash register as much as the 2700 store that you dissed... and I also doubt your store is being affected by tech hours getting cut.... now that I think about it, the 2 ppl on here that always defend CVS works at high volume stores... maybe thats the key to happiness at CVS lol
You are quite wrong- my store did 4300 last week- it's one of the highest volumes in the district- the WAGS which was our biggest competitor on March 1st stopped being 24 hours- so we are picking up a lot of volume and there are times when I type my own prescriptions and run registers. I don't have an ego so I have no problems running the registers if needed.

You are quite wrong- my store did 4300 last week- it's one of the highest volumes in the district- the WAGS which was our biggest competitor on March 1st stopped being 24 hours- so we are picking up a lot of volume and there are times when I type my own prescriptions and run registers. I don't have an ego so I have no problems running the registers if needed.

the issue is not about having an ego getting cash register, when I have another pharmacist working with me, I can get cash register and drive through all day if needed, the issue is, when u are short handed and need to do all the extra stuff, no one will be verifying and you will get backed up... chains are expecting pharmacists to do more and more with decreased help, i assume with CVS, it's more prominent, hence all the hate... I read somewhere, the PDM went to one CVS and yelled at the pharmacist for sitting down and eating a sandwich... the frds I mentioned that lost 20lbs said he had no time to eat lunch... now i dont care how much a company is paying you, this is not right... but b/c too many pharmacist either think it is or are too afraid to say anything, and this is how we got ourselves in this situation in the 1st place... this applies to too many pharm school too, pharmacist arent vocal enough

Last edited:
the issue is not having an ego about getting cash register, when I have another pharmacist working with me, I can get cash register and drive through all day if needed, the issue is, when u are short handed and need to do all the extra stuff, no one will be verifying and will get backed up... even tho chains are expecting pharmacists to do more and more with decreased help, i assume with CVS, it's more prominent, hence all the hate... I read somewhere, the PDM went to one CVS and yelled at the pharmacist for sitting down and eating a sandwich... the frds I mentioned that lost 20lbs said he had no time eating lunch... now i dont care how much a company is paying you, but this is not right... but b/c too many pharmacist either think it is or are too afraid to say anything, and this is how we got ourselves in this situation in the 1st place... this applies to too many pharm school too, pharmacist arent vocal enough

That's where the board of pharmacy should come in. One day a pharmacist will die on the job and something will be heard. Seriously.

That's where the board of pharmacy should come in. One day a pharmacist will die on the job and something will be heard. Seriously.

This has nothing to do with the Board of pharmacy!!! You guys are either delusional or you are living in a fantasy world. It's the economy stupid!!!!! Every company is trying to save and cut back- and if you think CVS is the only chain that is doing this you are fools. Tell me this- why do you have major collegiate schools where a Professor is teaching a course to well over 150 students? Couldn't the school easily afford to split the class and pay another professor? They could be they rather cut cost and have one professor teach the course. You been to the ER lately? Many times you have 1 MD on duty and a room full of sick patients- why are there no threads blasting the hospital for hiring more MD's to serve the sick???? Stop blaming CVS guys- work a little harder and stop complaining- at least you got a job- and a 6 figure job at that!!!!!

This has nothing to do with the Board of pharmacy!!! You guys are either delusional or you are living in a fantasy world. It's the economy stupid!!!!! Every company is trying to save and cut back- and if you think CVS is the only chain that is doing this you are fools. Tell me this- why do you have major collegiate schools where a Professor is teaching a course to well over 150 students? Couldn't the school easily afford to split the class and pay another professor? They could be they rather cut cost and have one professor teach the course. You been to the ER lately? Many times you have 1 MD on duty and a room full of sick patients- why are there no threads blasting the hospital for hiring more MD's to serve the sick???? Stop blaming CVS guys- work a little harder and stop complaining- at least you got a job- and a 6 figure job at that!!!!!

I know it's everywhere. Lol. I have a 3 figure job by the way at cvs as a tech, lol.

Don't blame RXnupe for feeling the way he does. He's stuck there. Rationalizing the way they treat him is the best way to cope with it. None of us think it should be the way it was 5 or 10 years ago. Things just get worse here in America in every job. We've come to expect it. We are tired of it and someday you will tire of it. We're fed up with the "be thankful you have a job mentality." I do think CVS is leading the way downward in the pharmacy profession however.

Don't blame RXnupe for feeling the way he does. He's stuck there. Rationalizing the way they treat him is the best way to cope with it. None of us think it should be the way it was 5 or 10 years ago. Things just get worse here in America in every job. We've come to expect it. We are tired of it and someday you will tire of it. We're fed up with the "be thankful you have a job mentality." I do think CVS is leading the way downward in the pharmacy profession however.

Yes, I also think the tone of his writing seems to indicate some rationalizing about his career and where it is headed. Perhaps starting to realize that there is no promotion in sight just running the hamster wheel faster and faster so the gods above will notice him. They would have noticed him by now and promoted him but well.... someone has to work the hamster wheel ....faster and faster, faster and faster. Don't worry retirement will come quickly

"be thankful you have a job mentality."

annnnd thats how CVS can treat their employees the way they do, idk why rxnupe can't get this concept, and i know every chain is doing this, but doesnt make it right, everyone is making an example out of CVS is b/c they are the worst

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds to me you guys are those who are stuck. Aren't you the ones who are complaining and bitching? If I didn't like my job I would simply work for another company. I am not being sarcastic- but the UE rate is 6.7% and you guys making a 6 figure salary and you are complaining because you have to run the register, answer the phones and can't take an hour long lunch break? Why don't you go to a forum of Unemployment Americans and ask how they feel? See how many if possible would love to switch places with you and would gladly ring up customers, work drive thru and answer the phones.

Yes, I also think the tone of his writing seems to indicate some rationalizing about his career and where it is headed. Perhaps starting to realize that there is no promotion in sight just running the hamster wheel faster and faster so the gods above will notice him. They would have noticed him by now and promoted him but well.... someone has to work the hamster wheel ....faster and faster, faster and faster. Don't worry retirement will come quickly
Funny you use the hamster wheel analogy as opposed to what???? Should a pharmacist just sit on his/her fat ass on a high chair with a newspaper and a subway sandwich and verify 10 prescriptions an hour and get paid a 6 figure salary? I guess you would want 10 techs on duty at all times as well too- hmmmm keep dreaming guys!!!!

Funny you use the hamster wheel analogy as opposed to what???? Should a pharmacist just sit on his/her fat ass on a high chair with a newspaper and a subway sandwich and verify 10 prescriptions an hour and get paid a 6 figure salary? I guess you would want 10 techs on duty at all times as well too- hmmmm keep dreaming guys!!!!

Don't be upset. No you won't get promoted. I can tell u are starting to realize that. A lot of people think that if they sing the company praises and run around the pharmacy as fast as you can you will be noticed and climb the ladder. Problem is almost all the rx sups and district managers are non pharms and were not promoted for running a good store. They need the dregs to run the bench, sing the praises of the company and wait by the phone for the promotion call that never comes. By the way "your store" is owned by CVS not you. So it is their store. They pay you to baby sit it until a cheaper, younger and cuter baby sitter comes along. What is happening to others will happen to you also. Usually they start giving you less tech hours, because you are so good and don't need them, then slowly turn up the heat a little bit at a time. Read other peoples posts and look in the mirror. It happening to you too.

I didn't realize rx sups could be non pharms. Never meet a non pharm rx sup.
It just let you know that OLD doesn't know what the hell he's talking about because all Pharmacy supervisors for CVS are pharmacist.

I didn't realize rx sups could be non pharms. Never meet a non pharm rx sup.

My DM is a non-pharmacist. He was in a pool of other pharmacists for the position too. He got chosen cause he sings like a canary for the company and that is what they want...unfortunately :(

Even if that was to happen, it still wouldn't change things. Knowing the company they will go through the motions, then hire someone new and think...now we can save on payroll. Sad but true.

Just wanted other people's view. Someone who believes there is still good in CVS and to make me think I'm not wasting my time

I'm sorry, I don't believe there is still good in CVS. My son started there and has been employed as a pharmacy tech for almost 2 years now. His brother started at Publix as a bagger at the same times. Publix son made more from the start. CVS son did all the modules, took exam and became registered pharm tech. Puts in lots of hours, gets called in early all the time, called in to cover at home store and other local stores. His managers love him, customers send in emails and call corporate with compliments. I know he works hard and is well liked. Well, guess what? His brother is making more money bagging and stocking. CVS does not pay well, especially in a position of responsibility. It's a disgrace. The only reason he has stayed is for the experience. He is leaving FL for college in NY this Fall. I asked if he would be transferring to a CVS in NY, he said NO. He can make more money stuffing envelopes and telemarketing at the school. Unbelievable...

Rxnupe, you speak with the life experience of a 25 year old who has spent the majority of his adult life in college. Just because a pharmacist complains about their work conditions does not mean that they don't appreciate their six figure salary. Just because they make a 6 figure salary doesn't mean they give up their right to complain. I've been in the work force since 1989 and I've never known anyone who doesn't have some complaint about their job. I think you are just young and don't know any better. That is why they can take advantage of you with you not knowing.

I'm sorry, I don't believe there is still good in CVS. My son started there and has been employed as a pharmacy tech for almost 2 years now. His brother started at Publix as a bagger at the same times. Publix son made more from the start. CVS son did all the modules, took exam and became registered pharm tech. Puts in lots of hours, gets called in early all the time, called in to cover at home store and other local stores. His managers love him, customers send in emails and call corporate with compliments. I know he works hard and is well liked. Well, guess what? His brother is making more money bagging and stocking. CVS does not pay well, especially in a position of responsibility. It's a disgrace. The only reason he has stayed is for the experience. He is leaving FL for college in NY this Fall. I asked if he would be transferring to a CVS in NY, he said NO. He can make more money stuffing envelopes and telemarketing at the school. Unbelievable...
God this sounds like you are describing me 4 years ago when I started there as a tech. So when it was time for evaluations I got all high marks and got a 20 cent raise. LOL so then I left and have received 60 cents raises the past 3 years in a row.

At my store all tech raises got denied because we weren't "meeting metrics" (we're not even challenged) despite all of us getting great reviews. Our pharmacists haven't gotten a raise in at least 5 years.

I dont think rxnupe is a pharmacy manager at a store anymore. Someone with that much disconnect from what actually happens in a pharmacy must be higher up (like a pharmacy supervisor)

"You cannot fill a cup that is already full".

my advice is to get out of pharmacy school before you start, you will have lots of fun working in horrible environment, having no break or sanity, while paying lots of taxes to the government and school loans. your life will suck in 2018 after school. don't mean to be so negative. this is the honest advice if i had a younger silbling thats thinking about going to pharmacy school.

students keep thinking, oh ill make so much money. unless you can claim a kid or house or something, LOTS of your gross income is going to tax, plus your student loans, how much money do you think youre actually taking home? my bf and I both have ZERO loans from school are doing okay, but some of my coworkers have to pay back $1500 a month for school loans for like 10 years!! also after tax, how much money really, do you think you're gonna have. i strongly advice students to think carefully, if you have to take out lots of loans, please think before you do it.

Whelp, I'm in school now. Wish me luck. I'm hoping for the best

Been a cvs manager for a year. The metrics really arent that hard and you can make a lot of money here if you're good at them. Retail sucks in general. Try to work in area that you like that you wont be completely miserable living in

Last edited:
Been a cvs manager for a year. The metrics really arent that hard and you can make a lot of money here if you're good at them. Retail sucks in general. Try to work in area that you like that you wont be completely miserable living in

CVS is not that bad... I get plenty of hours and do great on my metrics. I am currently working in 4000 scripts/week store..., but have worked at a few stores before that does 1k, 2k, and 3k.

Conditions at CVS is not great, but it can be a sweet gig. This is what a lot of people who actually work at CVS as pharmacists are saying... rxnupe, me, oldtimer, wvu, owl, etc. I even seen some posters who were stressed out doing a lot better.

It seems like the people who complain either wants a gazillion tech hours, or they managed the pharmacy poorly (poor scheduling bc they are scheduling based on what the tech wants and not the store needs). A lot of them are not even working for CVS.

Some people complain just to complain. They are either trolls (unchained), or have no accountability mindsets.

I spoke with my colleagues at Walgreens and Rite Aid. They have their pharmacists as cashiers, or verifying from outside the pharmacy. I ve heard of Wag stores filling 400 scripts a day with one Rph and one tech because of "central fill". I did 400 yesterday (overnight did 100 of it in readyfills), and had 35 tech hours or ~ 5 techs.

FYI, I get to go out for a 45 minute lunch break (that I worked out with my partners), I make 155k base salary, and I hit my metrics so my bonus is in the range of 10k to 15k each year. Nobody from corporate bothers me. I have okay tech help. I do get stress but nothing I couldn't manage. I contribute this to my awesome techs, my partners who splits up the work with me as a pharmacy manager, and having a GOOD sup (BIG PART OF THE EQUATION).

About pharmacy metrics, I find that we have it easy compare to other companies. At least we wont get pushed out because we are not improving sales (target executive team leader), or being forced to push immunizations like other chains.

We are waiting to get our flu shipments while Wags and Rite aid are already pushing flu since last week...

Try working at those 2,000-2,5oo scripts/week non-24hour store with a drive-thru and see how much you love CVS.

Try working at those 2,000-2,5oo scripts/week non-24hour store with a drive-thru and see how much you love CVS.
Walk in and the fill que has like 25-30 pages.

That would be way more than 2,500 per week! Or a horribly understaffed/mismanaged store.
It was. We were at about 600/ day during snowbird season. It sucked. RPhs got 5 hours of overlap a week. Past 3 managers who were there are no longer with cvs.

That is similar to the 2nd store that I took over when I was PIC.

I don't "love" CVS per se. I also don't find myself hating it like its the scourge of pharmacy. In fact, I wouldn't know what to do if they were to fire me. Maybe I will open up an independent pharmacy. I have a lot of friends who did that. But for now, it is a sweet gig that I am going to milk...

I work at independents where I do have a lot of techs. I get to sit in front of a computer and go online. I can even take a nap. However I don't get paid as much as I would at CVS. I make 35 an hour, 40 if I am lucky. I feel that the techs are being paid through my salary. I wouldn't mind doing what they are doing and getting paid more....

I also don't get benefits like 401k, vacation and holiday pay, health insurance, disability, etc at the independent.

That is why I choose CVS as my full time gig.

Walk in and the fill que has like 25-30 pages.

I think if I was the floater, I would do what I can and document it to my sup. I wouldn't bust my ass because its not my fault there is a days worth of script to be filled from yesterday.

If I was a staff rph, I would do what I can and constantly ask for help. I wouldn't bust my ass in this situation either.

Are you working in a "vacation store"? I did one... it wasn't fun. I complained as much as I could to get "extra pay" because of the conditions. They paid me double hours constantly because they could not find overlap for my store.

Some other things that I did for the vacation store was find my own overlap, by asking my rph friends if they can cover, telling my customers the wait time is 2-3 hours, and asked lots of techs and interns to come in without permission.

My sup was cool with it because he just wants the store fixed.

I think if I was the floater, I would do what I can and document it to my sup. I wouldn't bust my ass because its not my fault there is a days worth of script to be filled from yesterday.

If I was a staff rph, I would do what I can and constantly ask for help. I wouldn't bust my ass in this situation either.

Are you working in a "vacation store"? I did one... it wasn't fun. I complained as much as I could to get "extra pay" because of the conditions. They paid me double hours constantly because they could not find overlap for my store.

I got the hell outta dodge once my Rph manager left and offered me a position elsewhere. But I still talk to the one lead tech who was there when I was and she said its horrible still.

But yea snow birds where there sep-apt or so. But even non snow bird still sucked with high volume and always having tech hours cut and Rph overlap cut.

To the people complaining about the poor working conditions of retail pharmacy, I have a suggestion for you. How about you equate every single dollar you spend to the time it would take to earn that dollar at your hellish job? Latte = five minutes of listening to a customer whine about their $0.50 copay for Abilify, vacation to Hawaii = the first week rollout of a new program "enhancement" that is a win for our store and our customers and oh by the way make sure to remove 30 tech hours from the schedule, that new mcmansion that is in the posh neighborhood = 30 years of slogging away in the trenches the best and most productive days of your life to make sure your CEO gets an extra $1 million bonus every year on top of the 60 he already makes.
Is what you buy really worth giving up your freedom?

Now imagine retail pharmacy where every pharmacist more than five years out of school has no student loans, no cc or auto debt and are well on their way to paying off a modest house. Who do you think has the power now?

To the people complaining about the poor working conditions of retail pharmacy, I have a suggestion for you. How about you equate every single dollar you spend to the time it would take to earn that dollar at your hellish job? Latte = five minutes of listening to a customer whine about their $0.50 copay for Abilify, vacation to Hawaii = the first week rollout of a new program "enhancement" that is a win for our store and our customers and oh by the way make sure to remove 30 tech hours from the schedule, that new mcmansion that is in the posh neighborhood = 30 years of slogging away in the trenches the best and most productive days of your life to make sure your CEO gets an extra $1 million bonus every year on top of the 60 he already makes.
Is what you buy really worth giving up your freedom?

Now imagine retail pharmacy where every pharmacist more than five years out of school has no student loans, no cc or auto debt and are well on their way to paying off a modest house. Who do you think has the power now?

You are very wise. Student loans is the chains of society that holds us to modern day slavery. Paying it off was the best thing I could ever do in my life. Being debt free and growing my pot of gold allowed me to be happy.

I think that is partially why some people complain so much. They are over their head in debt and is forced to work for CVS. They care about what they have to do because they are forced to. If they don't, they will lose their job and have no way to pay off their 6 figures debt.

I got the hell outta dodge once my Rph manager left and offered me a position elsewhere. But I still talk to the one lead tech who was there when I was and she said its horrible still.

But yea snow birds where there sep-apt or so. But even non snow bird still sucked with high volume and always having tech hours cut and Rph overlap cut.

are you a pharmacy student? I feel you... but the truth is CVS have not cut tech hours for the last few years.

.................. Don't confuse with not making script counts to tech cuts. We are given our payroll budgets in the beginning of each year. We are also given a script budget that we have to meet. If we do more, we get more tech help. If we do less, we have to cut hours. It is about 10 scripts per tech hour.

Some stores do a lot less or they used a lot of tech hours in the beginning over the year. They might be forced to cut hours because they are not doing the expected volume OR they used their allocated tech hours.

For example, A store that does 2000 scripts a week have 200 tech hours. They only did 1500 scripts a week. They should have reduced the amount of tech hours used to 150 tech hours. The pharmacy manager did not flex down in the beginning of the year. After a few month, they will receive a phone call for them to cut hours to 150 tech hours, and might be even more if the supervisor wants him to pay back the hours.

The pharmacy manager then goes around telling everybody that they are cutting hours and he cant schedule people as much. He should have told them that we are not making our script count so we have to reduce the hours we use... However the staff thinks that corporate is "cutting" hours.

If the supervisor wants the pharmacy manager to pay back hours because he has been abusing payroll, that makes it even worse. In March or April, if the pharmacy manager has been using 200 tech hours consistently when he should have been flexing down, he will get a phone call to not only reduce his hours to 150 hours, but also repay some of it back (50 hours over every week x 12 to 16 weeks = 6-800 hours). 150 hours x 36 weeks= 5400 tech hours for the year, minus 800 used hours = 4600 hours / 36 weeks = 127 hours for the remaining of the year. That way he the pharmacy manager can make his payroll budget for the year... bc payroll is the number one controllable thing in P+L sheet for expenses.

I don't blame CVS for this, I think this is the pharmacy's manager's fault for not controlling hours in the beginning of the year especially when he was given specific directions to flex down. However in this case, a lot of times, CVS doesn't force people to pay back the hours. Most stores in my district usually end the year red for payroll...

are you a pharmacy student? I feel you... but the truth is CVS have not cut tech hours for the last few years.

.................. Don't confuse with not making script counts to tech cuts. We are given our payroll budgets in the beginning of each year. We are also given a script budget that we have to meet. If we do more, we get more tech help. If we do less, we have to cut hours. It is about 10 scripts per tech hour.

Some stores do a lot less or they used a lot of tech hours in the beginning over the year. They might be forced to cut hours because they are not doing the expected volume OR they used their allocated tech hours.

For example, A store that does 2000 scripts a week have 200 tech hours. They only did 1500 scripts a week. They should have reduced the amount of tech hours used to 150 tech hours. The pharmacy manager did not flex down in the beginning of the year. After a few month, they will receive a phone call for them to cut hours to 150 tech hours, and might be even more if the supervisor wants him to pay back the hours.

The pharmacy manager then goes around telling everybody that they are cutting hours and he cant schedule people as much. He should have told them that we are not making our script count so we have to reduce the hours we use... However the staff thinks that corporate is "cutting" hours.

If the supervisor wants the pharmacy manager to pay back hours because he has been abusing payroll, that makes it even worse. In March or April, if the pharmacy manager has been using 200 tech hours consistently when he should have been flexing down, he will get a phone call to not only reduce his hours to 150 hours, but also repay some of it back (50 hours over every week x 12 to 16 weeks = 6-800 hours). 150 hours x 36 weeks= 5400 tech hours for the year, minus 800 used hours = 4600 hours / 36 weeks = 127 hours for the remaining of the year. That way he the pharmacy manager can make his payroll budget for the year... bc payroll is the number one controllable thing in P+L sheet for expenses.

I don't blame CVS for this, I think this is the pharmacy's manager's fault for not controlling hours in the beginning of the year especially when he was given specific directions to flex down. However in this case, a lot of times, CVS doesn't force people to pay back the hours. Most stores in my district usually end the year red for payroll...
Yes I am a student now

This was 3-4 years ago so not sure if it was them same. However I know for a fact we were making RX count and our SOS and kpm and all that garbage wasn't bad. We wernt first but we wernt last. I think what it comes down to is that we just had a horrible/ bitchy DM.

We lost 60-80 tech hours from last year. Script budget remained roughly the same. We were probably on the high end with budget hours last year but there was 30% cut in 2014.

We lost 60-80 tech hours from last year. Script budget remained roughly the same. We were probably on the high end with budget hours last year but there was 30% cut in 2014.

That sucks...

Just curious, did you make script budget last year? The script budget always stays the same but... if you didn't make script budget last year, they might have asked you to cut it this year in prep for your lower script count.

Any increase in RPh hours? I know some stores that traded their rph overlap for tech hours (1 rph = 5 tech hours), and vise versa.

Other than that, it sucks. I don't see how that makes sense.

Yes I am a student now

This was 3-4 years ago so not sure if it was them same. However I know for a fact we were making RX count and our SOS and kpm and all that garbage wasn't bad. We wernt first but we wernt last. I think what it comes down to is that we just had a horrible/ bitchy DM.

Maybe. To be honest, I have not heard of anybody losing tech hours after Walgreens stop taking Medco. Ultimately, it lies with the DM... and there are some bad ones out there. I never had one, but I have heard stories from my colleagues in other districts about what they have to deal with.

It is a 24hr store but no overlaps. The volume is slightly more than what WVU's store does. To be honest, I don't remember exact numbers but we were off 3%? So yes, financially there is some justification to seek ways to negate that. I agree with what WVU said in other threads. All non essential tasks are being pushed to the overnight and this is the year 24hr stores might have been targeted. Since the company is big on optimization (WeCare, MySchedule, MyImpact, store to store redeployment, Specialty, etc.), I'm sure there is a funky formula involved beyond my knowledge.