CVS store manager beats shoplifter to death

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
it looks like the guy tried to hit the CVS manager first

Props to CVS for backing the store mgr. This POS won't be stealing anymore. One less burden on our society and the taxpayers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Props to CVS for backing the store mgr. This POS won't be stealing anymore. One less burden on our society and the taxpayers.

Too bad society is going to pay for this scumbag to sit in a cell. Only a man with serious issues would choke a man to death while he pleaded for him to stop

I almost wish I could achieve such a shallow level of thought. Life would be so simple.

Because a homeless man stole toothpaste and some crayons, he deserves to die? Wow...

That's not self defense. That's aggravated assault and manslaughter. Getting punch in the face doesn't give you a right to take another human being's life.

That's not self defense. That's aggravated assault and manslaughter. Getting punch in the face doesn't give you a right to take another human being's life.

But, he stole crayons and toothpaste. This guy was clearly a threat to society and meant harm to all in the store. They had to kill him. I mean the guy was probably going to use those things for malicious activities, like brushing his teeth and coloring.

Seriously, send the store manager to jail and let him meet some real criminals. Lets see how many of those guys he chokes to death.

Wow. So stealing toothpaste and crayons warrants the death penalty? Not saying stealing is acceptable, but maybe you should learn something about the less fortunate and what leads them to desperation. Perhaps you could become a more compassionate person by doing some volunteer work to help the poor instead of rejoicing in their death.

I pretty much usually applaud self-defense and the whole eye for an eye thing in society; especially when it deals with the filth of society.

But.

It's not like the guy robbed the pharmacy at gunpoint to steal Oxys. Which is why I fully supported the Oklahoma RPh executing the robber. However, if truly it was just crayons and toothpaste then the altercation went too far. I wonder if there was a history of crime from this individual or something. Complete overreaction.

Hopefully you'll kick off before collecting any social security or Medicare :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I always expected the violence would one day escalate to this, although I predicted it would be customers hitting employees. One man threatened to "jump over the counter" if his prescriptions weren't ready. You couldn't tell if he was joking or was serious. The company won't hire any security guards or allow panic puttons. Most of the manangers I know always side with the customers and never with the employees, even if a customer curses us out, we aren't showing them good customer service.

I always expected the violence would one day escalate to this, although I predicted it would be customers hitting employees. One man threatened to "jump over the counter" if his prescriptions weren't ready. You couldn't tell if he was joking or was serious. The company won't hire any security guards or allow panic puttons. Most of the manangers I know always side with the customers and never with the employees, even if a customer curses us out, we aren't showing them good customer service.

My pharmacy manager at Walgreens told me when she was a floater she was at a store one time where a guy told her " You fill my Oxy right now or I am going to go to my truck get my gun and blow your head off!!!"

She filled his Oxy ASAP (even though he just got it 3 days ago) and NEVER went back to that store since.

Thank god he didn't shot her! :eek:

I had no idea that signing up to be a pharmacist I would have to be walked out to my car every night and carry mace. It's just a matter of time before we have to wear bulletproof vests and take gun lessons. I find it highly disconcerting that near my computer are the business cards of several local police and detectives everywhere.

My pharmacy manager at Walgreens told me when she was a floater she was at a store one time where a guy told her " You fill my Oxy right now or I am going to go to my truck get my gun and blow your head off!!!"

She filled his Oxy ASAP (even though he just got it 3 days ago) and NEVER went back to that store since.

Thank god he didn't shot her! :eek:

I would have called the police.

My thoughts exactly. I called the police once at a former job (not pharmacy) for almost this exact thing (threatened with gun violence). If you really think you are being threatened why wouldn't you call the police?

My thoughts exactly. I called the police once at a former job (not pharmacy) for almost this exact thing (threatened with gun violence). If you really think you are being threatened why wouldn't you call the police?

Right? Common sense is lacking in our profession at times, I think.

Doesn't Walgreens have panic buttons? Unlike other companies who don't care about employee safety? I would have touched it a thousand times.

I think she told me she just give him the Oxy ASAP so he can LEAVE ASAP. She didn't want to let him wait around there (and increase her chances of getting shot) if she called the cops they would have to wait till the cops get there. That's more time the guy has to get the gun and kill her.

I use to like to argue with people especially if I feel that I am RIGHT...now I am like...I'll just do my job and get paid. If someone wants to take Oxy everyday for fun go ahead...why will I argue with them and risk getting shot when I could have easily avoided that by just giving him the drug and sent him along? I get NOTHING from arguing with customers to prove my point. I'll just let them have whatever and I get paid and keep my job.

It's not like the store manager is going to take YOUR side if you win an argument with a customer...so whats the point of having one at all? just move right along so I won't waste my time.

Retail pharmacist basically have TWO choices:

1) give the customer whatever the hell they want and they leave. You keep your job/paid.

2) argue with the customer. Risk getting hurt by them OR they will simply file a complaint with corporate and your ass will be fired soon. You LOSE your job/paid.

I prefer just sticking with number 1). I don't care if I am right or not. That doesn't matter to me anymore. LOL

1) give the customer whatever the hell they want and they leave. You keep your job/paid.

2) argue with the customer. Risk getting hurt by them OR they will simply file a complaint with corporate and your ass will be fired soon. You LOSE your job/paid.

I prefer just sticking with number 1). I don't care if I am right or not. That doesn't matter to me anymore. LOL

Do you know how many pharmacies in FL have lost their DEA license recently? Protecting the public is a part of the job whether you like it or not.

Do you realize what you are saying by going with Choice 1? The customers don't care about you and your license. You can always get another job, you may lose your license forever, that's how I see it. If you fill their Oxycontin every day, you are going to get investigated by doctors and the DEA. That has happened at stores I know. What do you do about fake prescriptions? Fill them? Most patients are understanding when you have to call the prescriber to get missing information or a DEA number.

Do you realize what you are saying by going with Choice 1? The customers don't care about you and your license. You can always get another job, you may lose your license forever, that's how I see it. If you fill their Oxycontin every day, you are going to get investigated by doctors and the DEA. That has happened at stores I know. What do you do about fake prescriptions? Fill them? Most patients are understanding when you have to call the prescriber to get missing information or a DEA number.

Plus, if your lack of vigilance on controlled scripts causes your store to lose its DEA permit, I think you will probably get fired too. Remember, that post was coming from a student with almost no work experience. I would hope most practicing pharmacists understand the doctrine of corresponding responsibility.

In retail, I get customers every day who are jerks and say they are going to call corporate on me. Even the nicest customers can be the real snakes. So what? Everyone I know has been complained about to corporate. I know that I did the best I could.

You are very naive. I hope you are joking

Doesn't Walgreens have panic buttons? Unlike other companies who don't care about employee safety? I would have touched it a thousand times.

Some stores do have panic buttons. It depends on the area and risk. If you are a floater, you may not know where it is.

If it's a script I do NOT want to fill I will simply tell them I am out of stock of that drug. What I am saying is I don't think it's a smart idea to spend 3 hrs arguing with a customer to prove you are right when no one is going to take your side. Your boss will def not.

Unfortunately, they may figure out you are lying if you use the excuse out of stock. Some pharmacy technicians have looked at the inventory and actually told people we have it in stock. I just tell them we are unable to fill the prescription and move on. I don't spend 3 hours arguing with someone. I give them their prescription back, and they leave.

Even if you don't know where the panic button is, everyone knows what 911 is. One of the first places I look at a store is the exits and where the telephones are.

Not a good idea to just lie to the patients. Just because they are lying to us, doesn't mean we need to resort to deception.

People lie to us all the time. My prescription fell down the toliet. My neighbor stole it from my trailer. You shorted me on 30 Ambien. My medication fell down the bathroom sink. It's always the controlled substances, and it's not blood pressure medication.

Unfortunately, they may figure out you are lying if you use the excuse out of stock. Some pharmacy technicians have looked at the inventory and actually told people we have it in stock. I just tell them we are unable to fill the prescription and move on. I don't spend 3 hours arguing with someone. I give them their prescription back, and they leave.

Even if you don't know where the panic button is, everyone knows what 911 is. One of the first places I look at a store is the exits and where the telephones are.

Yeah, we have techs like that too. They're the ones who disregard the rules the PIC makes about not giving out if we have CS in stock (and their price) and yet feel like they should be the ones running the place. Then an hour after they leave, I always get someone with a questionable looking, out of state CII, that is 15 days too early and then they say "I just spoke to _____ who says you have 1548 in stock and its going to cost me $XX since I don't have insurance."

Technicians are like a box of chocolate. Some of them will be the best thing since sliced bread and others are incompetent at their job. I'm not wanting to be rude, but things like that bugs the crap out of me!

I would have considered that to be a robbery and proceeded as such...give the guy what he wanted and then called the police after. Threatened bodily harm carries similar legal weight as physically waving a gun at you.

I have complaints filed on me pretty much on a daily basis. Hell, I have complaints filed on me when I didn't even do anything. I'll randomly get a tech come up to me and say "That person wants to know your name." Uhh... okay...

Why not go over there and soothe the situation, you ask? Well, you go work in the ghetto right across the street from 3 emergency rooms and tell me how that works out for you.

I'm telling you - Daily Basis Complaints (DBC). It's a metric that I'm trying to reach 65% on. Right now, I'm at 45.3%. I have a lot of work to do to but I think 2013 is going to be a great year for improvement!

(If you didn't catch the sarcasm and light-heartedness in this post about having to work in a high volume store with such a demographic, well then disregard completely because I'm not going to argue about it.)

I have complaints filed on me pretty much on a daily basis. Hell, I have complaints filed on me when I didn't even do anything. I'll randomly get a tech come up to me and say "That person wants to know your name." Uhh... okay...

Why not go over there and soothe the situation, you ask? Well, you go work in the ghetto right across the street from 3 emergency rooms and tell me how that works out for you.

I'm telling you - Daily Basis Complaints (DBC). It's a metric that I'm trying to reach 65% on. Right now, I'm at 45.3%. I have a lot of work to do to but I think 2013 is going to be a great year for improvement!

(If you didn't catch the sarcasm and light-heartedness in this post about having to work in a high volume store with such a demographic, well then disregard completely because I'm not going to argue about it.)

In a ghetto, the way to win people's respect is not with kindness, but toughness. You have to establish yourself as the allpha male/female in order to survive in that dog-eat-dog environment. My recommendation for you is whever a customer comes to your pharmacy to fill a script, instead of trying to please him and submit to his ****ty demands, first you say to him, "My name is Chris Co2012...and you can **** yourself!". Then you go back to your station and fill the order like a boss. I assure you that in no time people who come to your farmacy with start to to pay reverance to you as you are Godfather.

How sad. Lethal force with the intent to kill should only be used when there is a real violent threat against you, not when trying to stop someone from stealing something.

Then again though I tend to question the accuracy of anything publish on HuffPo.

I would have considered that to be a robbery and proceeded as such...give the guy what he wanted and then called the police after. Threatened bodily harm carries similar legal weight as physically waving a gun at you.

This thread is scaring me too! God PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me get a work at home mail order job!!! I'll do anything!!!!

This thread is scaring me too! God PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me get a work at home mail order job!!! I'll do anything!!!!

Would you give me your stash of shoes? I have a friend at Express Scripts who said I would have a job there post grad if I wanted it :smuggrin: I worked there as a tech and the hiring manager really liked me. They said I could always go back as a pharmacist.

Would you give me your stash of shoes? I have a friend at Express Scripts who said I would have a job there post grad if I wanted it :smuggrin: I worked there as a tech and the hiring manager really liked me. They said I could always go back as a pharmacist.

Nice! But why on earth would anyone give up a WORK AT HOME job that paids six figure? I don't think it can get any better than that! lol

Do you wear size 6 in shoes? lol

Nice! But why on earth would anyone give up a WORK AT HOME job that paids six figure? I don't think it can get any better than that! lol

Do you wear size 6 in shoes? lol

because I would probably get bored working at home. But this job would be on site verifying orders and calling prescribers. You get your own cubicle, though. I suppose it could be turned into working from home, though. I don't know.

And I wear size 8 :smuggrin:

because I would probably get bored working at home. But this job would be on site verifying orders and calling prescribers. You get your own cubicle, though. I suppose it could be turned into working from home, though. I don't know.

And I wear size 8 :smuggrin:

OMG!!!!!!! If you don't want it PLEASE let me have it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes you can have all my shoes, but they might a bit tight on you. lol

Have you thought about pursuing something besides pharmacy, SHC?

I might if I really hate retail pharmacy. LOL....if I can have a work at home job then hell no. Six figures and never leave the house? I can't think of anything else better than that. LOL

I might if I really hate retail pharmacy. LOL....if I can have a work at home job then hell no. Six figures and never leave the house? I can't think of anything else better than that. LOL

Six figures to play video games.