CWRU vs. BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dwight K. Shrute

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm very excited to be choosing between 2 schools I'm excited about, but I'm honestly pretty conflicted.

CWRU:
Pros:
-Amazing hospital affiliations (Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals, etc.)
-8-12 classes most days
-I'm from Chicago so it would be closer to home in terms of miles, so closer to family and s/o
-New Health Science building seems amazing
-Less expensive COL
-Ranked a little higher (not sure if theres any sort of prestige difference though, would appreciate some insight into this)
Cons
-Not a huge fan of the city (although University Circle is pretty nice imo)
-The anatomy curriculum changes with the hololens kinda scare me, but I don't know how justified this is.
-Not recorded lectures
-Essay based assessments

Boston University:
Pros:
-Absolutely love Boston- would probably be more comfortable in Boston
-Despite being farther, flights between Chicago and Boston are very cheap-so more accessible for s/o and friends to visit
-Focus on service in urban communities, which I am interested in.
-Potentially makes it easier to match in the Northeast which would be nice.
Cons:
-Higher COL overall
-Lower ranked
-While Boston Medical Center is a great hospital, BU doesn't have the diversity in clinical exposure that case does.

As an aside, I received a small scholarship to BU, but with the difference in COL considered, the cost in going to each of these schools would be basically the same.

I appreciate any feedback :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you like BU/Boston more, then go there. The difference in rank is not as important as that.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Go to where you'll be happier. You'll be spending at least 4 years of your life there. Difference in rank here shouldn't matter.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to BU. Going to a "lower ranked" school isn't really going to limit your residency opportunities much in this case. I mean you're comparing a top 25 school to a top 30 school...

What would be helpful tho is a school that has the type of environment that can help you succeed. From what I read, BU is a better fit for you. And although primarily work in one hospital, you get a wide range of patient cases just because it is one of the biggest and busiest safety-net and trauma hospitals in the northeast, so you will learn a lot from that school.

Oh also, recorded lectures >>>>> required attendance, multiple-choice exams >>>>>> essay based exams

Reactions: 1 user