Dare you to reply!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The wheels come off when we start getting into unconscious racial bias and mandatory seminars on how to recognize micro aggressions.

This has been happening and escalating in corporate America for the past few decades.
Mandatory diversity seminars and sensitivity training provided by outside consultants.
If microaggressions are violence, then words are violence, and free speech or saying things that offend people cannot be allowed in the workplace! If someone claims they were offended, well then that's naturally grounds for losing your job.

It's a racket. The corporations capitulate and pay the ransom for these training seminars and hire some useless "chief diversity officer" position so that if anyone tries to come at them later with a lawsuit they can point and say, "see, we trained everybody, our hands are clean in this! It's not our fault Dr. KHE88 told a joke someone didn't like!"

Race-baiters like Al Sharpton have literally made careers doing this. Going to corporations and calling them racist and threatening them with boycots unless they pay up.
It shouldn't be surprising that the medical industry is not immune from this racket.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Perhaps. But once they graduate, will they go serve those communities or take a faculty posish at a huge cancer center and publish diarrhea? I'd say the evidence would suggest the latter.

It would be interesting to institute a similar program that many medical schools have for primary care specialties in rural/underserved areas. Go into radonc, work ~3-5 years in one of those areas after residency, and get your tuition paid for. Two birds one stone. I know it sounds like an oversimplication, but many students in my med school class going into primary care fields did this.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree that I don't see much role for rad onc in the more global race relations in our country. Any expectation that rad oncs should/will be the voices to end racism in America is disingenuous at best and completely delusional at worst. The best most rad oncs can do is understand that racism and disparities exist and to cast a vote with their patients in mind. Disparities in communities should of course be addressed but consolidation of services to a few favored academic systems does not favor this. Indeed, it propagates the issue. I see no harm in diversity measures that stoke interest in rad onc among minority groups. Why would anyone? I would hope such measures are approached with informational symmetry regarding the state of our field and geographic restrictions inherent with it.

I think what you're seeing on twitter (and here as well) is a function of too many docs having too much time and not enough patients. Which is the actual biggest issue rad oncs of all races are facing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just to follow up on my consolidation into academic systems propagating disparities, based on the tweet posted on the previous page.

Here are some germane numbers (all according to the Google machine, so YMMV).

The city of Milwaukee is 37.6% African American.

The Medical College of Wisconsin is located in a suburb called Wauwatosa which has an African American population of 4.5%

The Medical College of Wisconsin lists 3 satellite clinics (outside of the VA, which obviously does not serve a general population), each of which is also located in a suburb of Milwaukee. The African American population comprises 1.7%, 3.5%, and 3.7% of these suburbs, respectively.

I'm guessing there are other clinics that fill the void among the African American population in Milwaukee proper, but it appears that institution isn't exactly stomping out health care disparities among African Americans in Milwaukee.

It's almost like there's been a "systemic" avoidance of certain areas by a larger health care system. Hmmmm....

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Just to follow up on my consolidation into academic systems propagating disparities, based on the tweet posted on the previous page.

The Medical College of Wisconsin is located in a suburb called Wauwatosa which has an African American population of 4.5%

The Medical College of Wisconsin lists 3 satellite clinics (outside of the VA, which obviously does not serve a general population), each of which is also located in a suburb of Milwaukee. The African American population comprises 1.7%, 3.5%, and 3.7% of these suburbs, respectively.

I'm guessing there are other clinics that fill the void among the African American population in Milwaukee proper, but it appears that institution isn't exactly stomping out health care disparities among African Americans in Milwaukee.

It's almost like there's been a "systemic" avoidance of certain areas by a larger health care system. Hmmmm....

Exactly. There are an infinite number of papers to be written about problems as long as they exist.

You're saying that a certain virtue-signaling radiation oncologist works for an institution which actively avoids establishing clinics for indigent Black patients in their city? I'm shocked, I tell you! Shocked! What's next, we find out MCW bills multiple x what a freestanding facility would to provide the same service?

Get your own house in order before you lecture the rest of us, academics. Those of us actually involved in the business of healthcare know just exactly how financially predatory your institutions really are. KO wants to know what the rest of us are doing to help the Black population? I'm actually caring for indigent and Medicaid patients, of multiple races, sometimes for free, on a daily basis.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
You're saying that a certain virtue-signaling radiation oncologist works for an institution which actively avoids establishing clinics for indigent Black patients in their city? I'm shocked, I tell you! Shocked! What's next, we find out MCW bills multiple x what a freestanding facility would to provide the same service?

Get your own house in order before you lecture the rest of us, academics. Those of us actually involved in the business of healthcare know just exactly how financially predatory your institutions really are. KO wants to know what the rest of us are doing to help the Black population? I'm actually caring for indigent and Medicaid patients, of multiple races, sometimes for free, on a daily basis.

Remember when the notoriously awful governor of Virginia Ralph Northram got busted for dressing up in either blackface or a KKK uniform then apologized but refused to resign and went on to further participate in far left cancel culture and finger-pointing?

The lesson is that if you are sufficiently woke and say all the right buzzwords and pledge your allegiance to the party enough, it doesn't matter what you actually do or have done in the past. You are immune from being cancelled/fired if you tweet all the right things regardless of what you actually do. On the flip side, even if you do all the right things and your work actually helps underserved communities, if you told a bad joke once 15 years ago you are toast!

MANDATORY IMPLICIT BIAS TRAINING FOR HEALTHCARE WORKERS MANDATED BY MICHIGAN GOVERNOR

Really disturbed by all this, but not surprised.

Edit:
UPENN Med as well mandating training, but they are 1uping Mich by putting a vice chair of DIE in every department

PENNMED.JPG

Last edited:
...research shows that most diversity programs don’t result in more fair or diverse workplaces, says social psychologist Brenda Major of the University of California, Santa Barbara. “There is no causal evidence that diversity programs as currently implemented are reducing prejudice or discrimination, or increasing the representation of women and minorities in positions of responsibility.”

A noble aim perhaps but most programs don't work and in fact may increase racial tension.

Attachments

• Why Diversity Programs Fail.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 49
  • Making Diversity Programs More Effective _ National Academies.pdf
    276.1 KB · Views: 29
when I was in undergrad at a liberal arts college, I took a class that examined racism in America. The way the class was run, it was essentially an ongoing open debate on all racial issues. The class was diverse both in race/culture and perspective. Everyone respected each other and no one was punished for holding an ignorant view. I gained a much greater understanding of other cultures but also developed the ability to empathize with people who have a grievance -something that comes in handy every day in the clinic. The best diversity training would be a discussion/debate where faculty/staff can express their views -without fear- so that others -without fear- could express an opposing perspective.

Reactions: 4 users
Our leadership is focused on these ridiculous issues and continue pushing their one sided ideology, while real problems remain unaddressed.

I am ashamed that our specialty is injecting this partisanship into our field. The latest from those in high who by their own wills are determined to bring their own version of justice to radiation oncology:

Increasing diversity in radiation oncology: a call to action https://advancesradonc.com/article/S2452-1094(18)30242-2/abstract

Putting Women on the Escalator: How to Address the Ongoing Leadership Disparity in Radiation

https://www.redjournal.org/article/S0360-3016(18)33540-5/fulltext?dgcid=raven_jbs_etoc_email
What is implicit bias?

Implicit bias is the fact that I can walk behind any nursing station, pick up a chart without a badge, white coat... and as an Asian male; no one asks me anything. I've even done it in hospitals that I don't work in!

Implicit bias is that, as an Asian male, I had a free Google t-shirt on and people asked me what it was like to work at Google.

Now, imagine, or read, what it's like to be the inverse of that...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Implicit bias is the fact that I can walk behind any nursing station, pick up a chart without a badge, white coat... and as an Asian male; no one asks me anything. I've even done it in hospitals that I don't work in!

Implicit bias is that, as an Asian male, I had a free Google t-shirt on and people asked me what it was like to work at Google.

Now, imagine the inverse of that...
isn't that asian/white privilege?

Members don't see this ad :)

Now, imagine the inverse of that...
Implicit bias is when Harvard can discriminate against Asians in the application process by rating them as lower on personality traits.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

What's a chart?

• Haha

This is an unsolvable "problem." And that's intentional. Unsolveable problems require infinite solutions. And inifinite solutions ensure that those peddling the solutions will always remain in power.

Stereotypes will always exist in society because as humans we recognize patterns in behavior.

Sometimes life isn't fair and people will assume things about you that aren't true. You can have a billion seminars about how to recognize your "implicit bias" and consciously reject your unconscious assumptions, but guess what? People are still going to do it anyway because of nature, evolutionary biology, etc.

This is different from racism, as in actively discriminating against someone because of skin color or ethnicity.
Until we all have exactly the same skin tone and facial features in 5000 years, this will continue to be something we have to deal with.

What about ugly people with weak jawlines, bad skin, and short necks? There is plenty of implicit bias against these people. Funny how attractive people of all races seem to do very well when it comes to things like employment/promotion/dating, etc.

We've created a society of delicate snowflakes and and actively worsening race relations by trying heavy handed approaches to make sure nobody gets their feelz hurt with some groups feelz being deemed more important than another groups' feelz.

• Haha

My question to GI RadOnc is not if he gets favored, but the real question is, who do you discriminate against (if you believe in this concept)?

If we all want to play the "virtue card" here then tell your employer "Hi, I took the IAT and found that have unconscious bias against black men and women [or whatever group you discriminate against]. Perhaps that should be on the website to give black patients a warning that I have unconscious bias against them." Edit: you could also note that your partner who also does GI does not have unconscious bias against black people, but he/she does have unconscious bias against Asians, so those ethnicities should be told and given the option of choosing the doc without the associated bias.

Assuming you have a typical website your bio would be:

GI RadOnc, M.D.

Specialty:
3D-CRT, IMRT, SBRT, SRS
Esophageal, gastric, pancreatic, rectal, and anal cancers

Unconscious Bias:
Black men
Black women

_____

This is just nasty stuff. They don't care about your so-called "advantages." If you don't want this info posted why not? What's the point of the test? I said many times before, this is going to ERODE, not bolster the patient-physician relationship. It is wrong to think this will help rectify race relations in any manner. If you think it's not fair what I wrote above, agreed! B/c unconscious bias, even if real, cannot be accurately tested for, and if we do have them what do you do about it? THEY ARE UNCONSCIOUS AND CANNOT BE REMOVED.

The next logically step would be for a woman to ask "can I please have a doctor without unconscious bias of women" and a black person to ask "can I please have a doctor without unconscious bias toward black people." The patient can then note, "since unconscious bias testing was state mandated, I'm sure you have a file of all the doctors results, so I'd appreciate you finding out the bias of those physicians so I don't have to be their patient."

Isn't that a reasonable request from a patient?

Clearly the most important constructive thing we can do is to increase1 )inclusion of blacks (but that can’t happen when we are the worst speciality in medicine)2) ensure blacks are treated fairlry within the field, which for most part they are 3) serve the black community/patients- how many black pts do you think mskcc and mdacc treat?

Problem with implicit bias is that there is no evidence that this is actionable information as a result of these tests. There is no evidence that implicit bias training improves any endpoint. Instead, we should be focusing on what system features drive disparities, especially if those disparities are tied to race. Implicit bias is a bandaid.

And as for needing a RCT to determine if you need a mask: Not everything requires RCT level evidence for adoption. There are other types of valid evidcence. Welcome to the real world.

Mask discussion has been moved to it's own thread. Please keep this thread focused on original topic. No posts deleted, just moved, no warnings handed out

Mask discussion has been moved to it's own thread. Please keep this thread focused on original topic. No posts deleted, just moved, no warnings handed out

76 posts have been deleted and warnings have been given out.

The stance of SDN as a whole (not just this forum, but one that this forum is part of) in regards to the COVID pandemic is to avoid spread of misinformation and conspiracy theories. The concept of wearing a mask falls under that for the purposes of SDN.

This is mostly above my head, but the rad onc forums will align with the rest of SDN in regards to this decision.

Next people to continue to attempt to bend the rules on this topic will be getting 4 week vacations from the forums from me.

Again, if you feel that you want to post something but feel it is offtopic, then START a NEW thread. If I have to cull this thread again people are getting involuntary vacations.

Reactions: 7 users
My question to GI RadOnc is not if he gets favored, but the real question is, who do you discriminate against (if you believe in this concept)?

_____

This is just nasty stuff. They don't care about your so-called "advantages." If you don't want this info posted why not? What's the point of the test? I said many times before, this is going to ERODE, not bolster the patient-physician relationship. It is wrong to think this will help rectify race relations in any manner. If you think it's not fair what I wrote above, agreed! B/c unconscious bias, even if real, cannot be accurately tested for, and if we do have them what do you do about it? THEY ARE UNCONSCIOUS AND CANNOT BE REMOVED.

The next logically step would be for a woman to ask "can I please have a doctor without unconscious bias of women" and a black person to ask "can I please have a doctor without unconscious bias toward black people." The patient can then note, "since unconscious bias testing was state mandated, I'm sure you have a file of all the doctors results, so I'd appreciate you finding out the bias of those physicians so I don't have to be their patient."

Isn't that a reasonable request from a patient?

As outed earlier that I'm old enough to know that there were these sheets of paper put into a binder called a chart... For the younger members of the group; it spans the era where music was on records, cassettes and CDs.

My kids would kill me if I listed 'who do I discriminate against' in a public internet forum; searchable by past/present/future employers!

But, for the purposes of this discussion, which I'm totally glad is heated/controversial/thought provoking; my dad was racist. In fact, many immigrant parents are... it's part of assimilating into the culture. You figure out which group is favored; which is not; and you try to stay with the favored one. Here's one my dad's favorite sayings, "When the Jews move, so do we. They keep the schools good." I'm sure others on this chat could share equally memorable nuggets from their upbringing.

I have this really good administrator in our center who's really moving us up. She had her second child, and I didn't email her some stuff for a couple of months. She found out later, and asked me why I hadn't asked her to assist, I told her that I was trying to respect her time with a little one. She said, "That's what my husband's for." She shared with me her family structure; which is different than what I expected.

And... I realized I had never stopped emailing one of her colleagues who also had a kid around the same time. Did I mean to do it? No. Did I 'have it out for her?" Actually, she's one of those administrators as a doc you WANT to work for. But I did leave her out because she I turned her into a 'mom' from 'rock star who fixes stuff at work' = unconscious/implicit bias.

Regarding ability to change.. so this week, one of my APPs was not contacted for an internal position she wanted... she feels like she was discriminated by her boss (older woman, children grown but has grandchildren responsibilities) because she just had a child. I think I supported her better because of my prior experience.

What will it look like on a website? I appreciate the scare-factor of the prior post; but PLEASE. Patients don't have your board scores, your resident evaluations; and my organization only keeps a review link on MD web pages with a rating ~ 4/5 or higher. This required training, like all of our other required trainings, will be hidden in some HR area. Which, by the way, is certainly ammunition if someone wants you out!

As outed earlier that I'm old enough to know that there were these sheets of paper put into a binder called a chart... For the younger members of the group; it spans the era where music was on records, cassettes and CDs.

My kids would kill me if I listed 'who do I discriminate against' in a public internet forum; searchable by past/present/future employers!

But, for the purposes of this discussion, which I'm totally glad is heated/controversial/thought provoking; my dad was racist. In fact, many immigrant parents are... it's part of assimilating into the culture. You figure out which group is favored; which is not; and you try to stay with the favored one. Here's one my dad's favorite sayings, "When the Jews move, so do we. They keep the schools good." I'm sure others on this chat could share equally memorable nuggets from their upbringing.

I have this really good administrator in our center who's really moving us up. She had her second child, and I didn't email her some stuff for a couple of months. She found out later, and asked me why I hadn't asked her to assist, I told her that I was trying to respect her time with a little one. She said, "That's what my husband's for." She shared with me her family structure; which is different than what I expected.

And... I realized I had never stopped emailing one of her colleagues who also had a kid around the same time. Did I mean to do it? No. Did I 'have it out for her?" Actually, she's one of those administrators as a doc you WANT to work for. But I did leave her out because she I turned her into a 'mom' from 'rock star who fixes stuff at work' = unconscious/implicit bias.

Regarding ability to change.. so this week, one of my APPs was not contacted for an internal position she wanted... she feels like she was discriminated by her boss (older woman, children grown but has grandchildren responsibilities) because she just had a child. I think I supported her better because of my prior experience.

What will it look like on a website? I appreciate the scare-factor of the prior post; but PLEASE. Patients don't have your board scores, your resident evaluations; and my organization only keeps a review link on MD web pages with a rating ~ 4/5 or higher. This required training, like all of our other required trainings, will be hidden in some HR area. Which, by the way, is certainly ammunition if someone wants you out!

1) It's been talked quite a bit here that i) Unconscious/implicit may not exist. Part of the prb here is that there seems to be no settled definition. Did you show bias, sure, but why not call that explicit bias or subconscious bias? Many of us here, do not take for granted that implicit bias or microaggressions exist. Again no coherent definition, let alone proof of it's existence has ever been demonstrated ii) even if it does exist we cannot know it through IAT and certainly not through anecdotal experiences. So even if you do have implicit bias, you can't know what those are.

2) Scare tactics? I will "please" back at you. Do you require mandatory classes and social engineering for the above factors? If you are against mandatory training, diversity committees, and things like this then yes we can move on. If you are for those things, then I just want you to be honest about it and consider the real life consequences. There are real life consequences to those evaluations and scores (ie where you go to residency, AOA, etc.). Are you saying, "we're all biased, even in terms of race, a little bit and so let's live in an understanding way." I'm with you 100%, if you are forcing me to take classes to change my things in my unconscious - a) please prove to me those things actually are in my unconscious brain as I assert racism doesn't permeate all the way down to my unconscious brain and b) tell me how on earth YOU AND YOUR CLASSES will change my unconscious brain.

Seriously, as physician, please reconsider thinking about trying to find unconscious / deep rooted racism you a priori believe is already in there (how do you know this from you personal anecdotes? There is NO data) in all your colleagues and then trying to implement changes in that substructure in the brain. I was joking before, but are you going SRS those out or something?

It's already out of hand and in medicine. I'm asking us to stop the mandatory classes and implementation of diversity chairs in each dept (like PENN med school is doing). You can be for unconscious bias, systemic racism, diversity, and be against all the IAT, DIE committees, and mandatory classes.

This is making big news from a government funded organization associated with the Smithsonian as well. I'm sure you have all seen it.

Edit: Being racist against black people that is so deep that it resides in your unconscious, and as the JCO Penner paper claims, affects your direct patient care and then someone like you actually admitting that you do have such deep seated racism, is not the same thing as your board score or med school grades. Med school grades and board scores, even if you fail a couple of times and pass, puts you in the top 1-5% of intelligent and highly trained people. This may or may not effect your patient care. What the Penner article and IAT proponents suggest, endorsed by ASCO btw, is that it does directly affect patient care. You actually believe this claim. You admit that you have unconscious bias against certain races. I refute this claim. You may have biases here and there, but I bet it minimally or does not impact the care it gives to your patients. I bet you treat all races, genders, orientations fairly & well. Unless, you admit you don't...

Last edited:
Mods - please remove if not helpful. I have found the discussion to be in good faith but if outside the scope of this thread/SDN please delete....

How in the world is that poster in any way helpful in helping us "talk about race" as it says?

The Scientific method and time management are associated with whiteness? Is that supposed to be bad?

I've looked at some of the data, and I"m not even close to convinced that IAT/implicit bias training actually helps anything...yet precious non-clinical time is going to be devoted to it. But it's a Kafka trap because if you think it's not helpful that is enough evidence of your need to do it.

Frustrating.

whiteculture_info_1.png

• Haha
Do they have a similar one of these figures for "Blackness" ?

As someone considered "white", I am offended by how stereotyped this figure is. I don't fit all (most?) of these points, and it ignores the tremendous diversity of people who would be considered "white".

I can't imagine that it's acceptable to stereotype other races or ethnic groups this way. Why is it acceptable to stereotype whites this way?

Reactions: 3 users
Mods - please remove if not helpful. I have found the discussion to be in good faith but if outside the scope of this thread/SDN please delete....

How in the world is that poster in any way helpful in helping us "talk about race" as it says?

The Scientific method and time management are associated with whiteness? Is that supposed to be bad?

I've looked at some of the data, and I"m not even close to convinced that IAT/implicit bias training actually helps anything...yet precious non-clinical time is going to be devoted to it. But it's a Kafka trap because if you think it's not helpful that is enough evidence of your need to do it.

Frustrating.

whiteculture_info_1.png

As someone considered "white", I am offended by how stereotyped this figure is. I don't fit all (most?) of these points, and it ignores the tremendous diversity of people who would be considered "white".

I can't imagine that it's acceptable to stereotype other ethnic groups this way. Why is it acceptable to stereotype one ethnic group this way?

Can't agree more. This is directly relevant to us b/c we are all being asked to participate in this madness, fortunately most of it is voluntary at my institution, but as noted before, the entire state of Michigan and UPENN Med it is mandatory. The only place to discuss this is on rad onc SDN?

• Haha
These characteristics are attributes of Western Enlightenment culture; not whiteness.

The advantage of Western Enlightenment culture is that (in the ideal) a specific race, class, sexual orientation, etc are not a requirement to participate. "We hold these truths to be self-evident...you know the thing (quoting Biden)"

Of course the culture is not perfect; it is made up of humans who are by definition imperfect.

Maybe this will be the moment when the "silent majority" push back.

• Haha
Stereotypes aside. The majority of “history” taught in schools is white history. “American Culture” is often whiteness. “American food” is definitely white food. American music was appropriated from many other cultures, like Elvis Ripping off Little Richard (somehow “king” of rock and roll) and many other examples.

This is why I wear a mask on my butt when I go out. Who knows what a COVID fart can do. I have read the virus can be spread by farts? OTOH, I choose
If that were true
Stereotypes aside. The majority of “history” taught in schools is white history. “American Culture” is often whiteness. “American food” is definitely white food. American music was appropriated from many other cultures, like Elvis Ripping off Little Richard (somehow “king” of rock and roll) and many other examples.
same is true of oncology and physics. We are only taught and practice white oncology.

• Haha
If that were true

same is true of oncology and physics. We are only taught and practice white oncology.

it is definitely true with rashes. Much has been written about it. Most skin manifestation diseases were shown to people in school on lighter skin, and they can actually look quite different on darker skin tones.

I can't imagine that it's acceptable to stereotype other races or ethnic groups this way. Why is it acceptable to stereotype whites this way?

I thought it was racist in the sense that we’re giving white people credit for linear thought and hard work and delayed gratification? That seems like something a white supremacist would say.

Edit - sorry, I messed up the quotes/replies.

Last edited:
You guys need to watch “hello, priviledge,it’s me, chelsea” On Netflix. It is a documentary about white privilege. Discuss, thereafter. Go.

Well that didn't take long.

From the Smithsonian (google that Smithson guy BTW)

"We have listened to public sentiment and have removed a chart that does not contribute to the productive discussion we had intended."

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Well that didn't take long.

From the Smithsonian (google that Smithson guy BTW)

"We have listened to public sentiment and have removed a chart that does not contribute to the productive discussion we had intended."
That explanation kinda reeks of blaming everyone else for misunderstanding their overtly racist "learning tool."

This quote frustrates me: "I left his room stunned: this White man saw the police as a symbol of hope, help, and safety, whereas all I felt was fear. How unfair it was that I could never look at an officer and feel anything else."

As she states later, it exhausts her to deal with the presumptions made about her based upon her appearance. At the same time, she is okay with making presumptions about someone based on his or her appearance.

This quote frustrates me: "I left his room stunned: this White man saw the police as a symbol of hope, help, and safety, whereas all I felt was fear. How unfair it was that I could never look at an officer and feel anything else."

As she states later, it exhausts her to deal with the presumptions made about her based upon her appearance. At the same time, she is okay with making presumptions about someone based on his or her appearance.

It is a really as sad that there is this level of discontentment when you are an edit: resident at Harvard publishing in NEJM. Imagine if she was a satellite rad onc doc writing in PRO...

Last edited:

She wasn’t making an assumption. The man did see the police officer as a source of help. She wasn’t criticizing the character of her patient. She was sad and angry that she couldn’t see the police officer in the same way as her patient as the police are not as kind to black people as they are to whites. Are you seriously criticizing her that she might actually be afraid of police officers?

I’ve been fleeced by contractors before and I’m now afraid of contacting contractors to do anything for me. The scale of how police officers (sure not all of them) have treated black people is much worse than how a contractor has treated me.

Not at all doctors mistreat black patients but the scale of how the opioid epidemic has affected white people more than Black people shows how wide scale physician don’t believe in black patients having pain. And look at how the opioid epidemic is seen as deaths of despair vs the crack epidemic was just a bunch of people who were evil in the 80s.

And she’s not an attending, she is a resident. The first sentence says that.

She wasn’t making an assumption. The man did see the police officer as a source of help. She wasn’t criticizing the character of her patient. She was sad and angry that she couldn’t see the police officer in the same way as her patient as the police are not as kind to black people as they are to whites. Are you seriously criticizing her that she might actually be afraid of police officers?

I’ve been fleeced by contractors before and I’m now afraid of contacting contractors to do anything for me. The scale of how police officers (sure not all of them) have treated black people is much worse than how a contractor has treated me.

Not at all doctors mistreat black patients but the scale of how the opioid epidemic has affected white people more than Black people shows how wide scale physician don’t believe in black patients having pain. And look at how the opioid epidemic is seen as deaths of despair vs the crack epidemic was just a bunch of people who were evil in the 80s.

And she’s not an attending, she is a resident. The first sentence says that.

Presumption. About the person standing there. The officer, not the patient. That he or she was there to harm her.

She spent an entire article giving us various scenarios where she thought she, or someone who looks like her, was judged negatively bc of the way she looks. She wants us to empathize. I have no problem with that. On the other hand, she seems to have no interest in ever understanding what it's like to be an officer, who might be there to help (as in, most every time), but is going to be judged negatively bc of the uniform he or she is wearing. I say this because she used the word "never." Hence, I'm frustrated she wrote an article asking for empathy, and implying there's a situation where she's not interested in having it herself.

Could they not come up with a better title? :unsure:

"I Can't Find a Job?"

Many writers—Shakespeare, Churchill, King, Obama—would be screwed trying to get into a rad onc residency evidently. I've read them extensively, and let me tell you: they're biased to the teeth. Imagine writing your personal statement and titling it "Dreams From My Father." You'd not get into the Yale rad onc residency. I am literally hearing "balancing your communal and agents properties" for the first time in my life, and I'm in the top 1% re: English according to numerous standardized tests I've taken, and all the processing centers in my brain are drawing complete blanks on deciphering the meaning of this phrase. Even Google is like WTF.

fv3C9qX.png

KBtfgHb.png

SvrNqRU.png

• Haha
  • Angry
Many writers—Shakespeare, Churchill, King, Obama—would be screwed trying to get into a rad onc residency evidently. I've read them extensively, and let me tell you: they're biased to the teeth. Imagine writing your personal statement and titling it "Dreams From My Father." You'd not get into the Yale rad onc residency. I am literally hearing "balancing your communal and agents properties" for the first time in my life, and I'm in the top 1% re: English according to numerous standardized tests I've taken, and all the processing centers in my brain are drawing complete blanks on deciphering the meaning of this phrase. Even Google is like WTF.

fv3C9qX.png

KBtfgHb.png

SvrNqRU.png

Pretty sure this is Sue Evans just trying to show off on twitter again. Hasn’t stopped jumping at chance for woke points recently

• Haha
Speaking of one of Yale’s threads. Found this in there

Talk about continued bs spewed by MDACC

This is completely disingenuous considering how vast majority of us did not receive an invite from MDACC

“In past years there have often been more applicants than residency positions available in radiation oncology, and it was known that at least some institutions previously used an arbitrary Step 1 score cut-off to prescreen residency applications, and thus did not even review a proportion of applications for interview consideration.”

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha

fv3C9qX.png

KBtfgHb.png

SvrNqRU.png
I’m not even trying to have an opinion yet on it, I literally don’t know what they are saying

Speaking of one of Yale’s threads. Found this in there

Talk about continued bs spewed by Emma Holliday

This is completely disingenuous considering how vast majority of us did not receive an invite from MDACC

“In past years there have often been more applicants than residency positions available in radiation oncology, and it was known that at least some institutions previously used an arbitrary Step 1 score cut-off to prescreen residency applications, and thus did not even review a proportion of applications for interview consideration.”

"Radiation oncology has traditionally been a competitive specialty that attracts applicants with high USMLE Step 1 scores but also a specialty where representation of underrepresented minorities and women has been disproportionately low."
Not for nothing but men are underrepresented in ob/gyn. Does this have to do with gender bias, or just that not a lot of men, relatively, choose to go into ob/gyn. Does the faculty in physics at the Princeton IAS look like this due to bias, or that women, relatively, don't choose to pursue theoretical physics. We can get into discussions about females and STEM, and how much math & physics there are in rad onc, etc.

"The transition to the USMLE Step 1 exam from numerical scoring to a pass/fail system will ... allow for the selection of well-rounded individuals who will effectively lead our specialty into the future."
What is valued now in medicine: brilliance or "well-rounded"ness (which is quick becoming a code word in medicine)? I foresee in the future ways of testing for the latter, and the demonstration of superiority there outshining the former. And the latter will be more prized than the former. We won't have microwave ovens, GUT solutions, or trips to Titan, but we'll all be non-offensive to one another.

"Radiation oncology has traditionally been a competitive specialty that attracts applicants with high USMLE Step 1 scores but also a specialty where representation of underrepresented minorities and women has been disproportionately low."
Not for nothing but men are underrepresented in ob/gyn. Does this have to do with gender bias, or just that not a lot of men, relatively, choose to go into ob/gyn. Does the faculty in physics at the Princeton IAS look like this due to bias, or that women, relatively, don't choose to pursue theoretical physics. We can get into discussions about females and STEM, and how much math & physics there are in rad onc, etc.

"The transition to the USMLE Step 1 exam from numerical scoring to a pass/fail system will ... allow for the selection of well-rounded individuals who will effectively lead our specialty into the future."
What is valued now in medicine: brilliance or "well-rounded"ness (which is quick becoming a code word in medicine)? I foresee in the future ways of testing for the latter, and the demonstration of superiority there outshining the former. And the latter will be more prized than the former. We won't have microwave ovens, GUT solutions, or trips to Titan, but we'll all be non-offensive to one another.

You can have both brilliant and well rounded but the consistent insinuations that prior residents were not just bc they have high step scores is frankly insulting

Reactions: 8 users