Dare you to reply!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This question gets to the heart of an inconsistency in how "equity" is often discussed. As I understand it, equity seeks to normalize opportunity by giving more to those who have less, whereas equality gives the same opportunity to all. Personally, I go back and forth on which I think is more ethical... but recently I have been favoring equity.

Nonetheless, even if more opportunity is given to those who are in greater need, it doesn't necessarily mean that the demographic breakdown of those accepted in college/medschool will mirror that of society... because not ever person, race, group, religion, nationality, places the same value on going to med school.

For example, let's assume that a OB/GYN residency gave male applicants the same opportunities as female applicants in ranking their match list... do you think the breakdown will end up being 50:50? I don't.

In much of America, children grow up with a major emphasis on sports achievements. Contrarily, those in Asian or Eastern European immigrant communities emphasize math/science achievements. Neither is right or wrong... but, even in an equitable system, these preferences will naturally skew the populations of those who go to college on sports scholarships vs. those who excel in a pre-med curriculum.

**edited for grammatical mistakes.

We were definitely on the same page

Members don't see this ad.

There are smart people who are
1.creative
2. Efficient
3. Compassionate
4. Industrious
5. Organized
6. brilliant/genius
And many more coExisting qualities that might make one a good doctor

likewise there are plenty of smart people with the opposite of these traits.

Unfortunately many of these are hard to measure on the mcat Or during the application/interview process and even harder to standardize.

I generally agree with the concept of the most qualified getting the spot but think it’s very hard to know who that is/how to measure it.

I’m not sure what race has to do with measuring any of these qualities.

Reactions: 1 users
We were definitely on the same page

You both have incredibly reasonable and fair takes. At least ones that should be part of the discourse but are not due to fear. Self censorship on this topic is real.

I wish I had the psychiatric vocabulistic armamentarium to speak cogently about this phenomenon. But I find the "hate" directed at Wang, and other Wang-like people/situations, to arise from a very self-interested place as opposed to a concern-about-others place. It starts from an "you offended me" mindset. How dare you offend me?! It's what Dave Chappelle called a "bitter spirit." It appears the tweet below was what started it all?

iATx8JS.png

Wound collectors is the term I've seen used.

It's OK to have real gripes...and there are lots of legit gripes out there. But it starts to push over the edge and become wound collecting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I had the psychiatric vocabulistic armamentarium to speak cogently about this phenomenon. But I find the "hate" directed at Wang, and other Wang-like people/situations, to arise from a very self-interested place as opposed to a concern-about-others place. It starts from an "you offended me" mindset. How dare you offend me?! It's what Dave Chappelle called a "bitter spirit." It appears the tweet below was what started it all?

iATx8JS.png
Exactly, whether you agree with him or not, it clearly falls within the realm of legitimate discourse and debate.

Could fill undergrad and med school classes with asian males all day. Is that good for society?
Never said bad, but nice try. Why can't med/undergrad classes mirror their percentages in society once they've met minimum competency benchmarks for admission?
look at your question above. Explain how you aren’t saying it would be bad to have more asian males...because I think you are but I’m willing to hear your explanation

to answer your followup, I don’t care at all about the demographic results of a selection process based on merits, never have. So if the meritocracy produces equal distribution in a field that’s just a coincidence and not a goal to be praised. The goal should always be eliminating discrimination in our processes. It seems like you are proposing to stop meritocracy and replace it with minimal standards so that you can institute racial discrimination. Again, I’m willing to hear explanation otherwise

[I would elaborate into more detail but would have fears that I'd be kicked off of this board for not being woke :-(.

Just want to say that, especially given the anonymity afforded here, you are more than welcome to continue this discussion as long as it remains respectful. No twitter mob can get you here. Also SDN is open to all sets of opinions.

iATx8JS.png

I can say with 100% confidence that if this medical student ever applied to a residency program I had any influence in, there would be an absolutely ZERO percent chance I would ever in a million years considering to interview her.

Twitter mob-stokers will be shunned by some proportion of the silent majority.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
There is no right criteria for admissions selections in my opinion. Everyone will factor different things differently, which is fine.

If we're really moving towards a post-racial society, then admissions should be race neutral. Scholarships should be race neutral. Race shouldn't even be asked on the application. Reviewers should be blinded to it. That's impossible when you have interviews, but undergrads don't do interviews.

I can say with 100% confidence that if this medical student ever applied to a residency program I had any influence in, there would be an absolutely ZERO percent chance I would ever in a million years considering to interview her.

Twitter mob-stokers will be shunned by some proportion of the silent majority.
The end result is that she went from having a nice day to having an amazing day because she was able to fill up on sanctimony and outrage, the fuel of today's youth since they gave up on sex. All while doing nothing more than using her cell phone on her couch.

• Haha
I think from an economic standpoint it's inefficient to attempt to mirror societal demographics in higher education.

What happens if I proposed that we mirrored race in say... Pro Football. Let's make sure that 5% of all pro-Football athletes are Asian and no more than 15% are black. Maybe let's do the same in Pro-Basketball. We would have some pretty s**ty Pro-Football and Pro-Basketball to watch.

How about if I proposed that we should have equal numbers of men and women as ObGyns? (From my 4 seconds of Google it looks like 17% of the 2017 class was male.)

Some people will naturally be better at doing job "X" than another, whether it's a cultural or genetic upbringing. From my point of view, the cost to society to artificially balance gender and race in every type of job effectively lowers the overall performance of that industry as a whole.

If you think about why the Asian representation in higher education is absurdly high here, you have to remember that India and China are the most populous country in the world. America granted highly qualified Indian/Chinese people visas/citizenship here for work and education and these children of India/China's elite obviously do very well in school here. When you've artificially selected to only bring in the most educated people of a certain country, they're going to out-compete the general population.

I would elaborate into more detail but would have fears that I'd be kicked off of this board for not being woke :-(.

There are certain advantages to having a black patient seeing a black doctor with same background. Better understanding of cultural norms, better communication and trust. There are some Asian patients that prefer to see me even if I don't speak their particular language. I assume it's a matter of comfort and trust. It's not just for the sake of having equal proportions, like your pro football example.

For Ob/Gyn, I think it makes more sense to have more women. Again, it's not about the numbers, it's more about mirroring the patient.

One of my best friends is a pediatrician, but does not have children of his own. He is very bright, went to a top med school, and a top pediatric program. I would absolutely trust him with taking care of my kid if he got sick. However, I believe he would be an even better pediatrician if he had his kids of own. Even he says he has a harder time relating to some of his patient's parents compared to his colleagues that have children. Parents like to talk about sleepless nights, picky eaters, schools/teachers, bullies. Being able to connect is important and not everything can be taught in medical school/residency.

Imagine a scenario with Hispanic patient needing primary care. There is a white doctor with MCAT of 32 (not familiar with new system), Step 1 of 230, graduates 75%tile compared with a Hispanic doctor with MCAT 28 and Step 1 of 210 who graduates 50%tile, both pass the boards. Could you with absolute certainty say that the white doctor with better stats can provide more "efficient" care than the Hispanic doctor that speaks the same language and has the same background as the patient?

To be honest, I don't know what the right answer is, but I just don't think it's as simple as you suggest - the best scores = best outcomes/most efficient.

Reactions: 2 users
There are certain advantages to having a black patient seeing a black doctor with same background. Better understanding of cultural norms, better communication and trust. There are some Asian patients that prefer to see me even if I don't speak their particular language. I assume it's a matter of comfort and trust. It's not just for the sake of having equal proportions, like your pro football example.

For Ob/Gyn, I think it makes more sense to have more women. Again, it's not about the numbers, it's more about mirroring the patient.

One of my best friends is a pediatrician, but does not have children of his own. He is very bright, went to a top med school, and a top pediatric program. I would absolutely trust him with taking care of my kid if he got sick. However, I believe he would be an even better pediatrician if he had his kids of own. Even he says he has a harder time relating to some of his patient's parents compared to his colleagues that have children. Parents like to talk about sleepless nights, picky eaters, schools/teachers, bullies. Being able to connect is important and not everything can be taught in medical school/residency.

Imagine a scenario with Hispanic patient needing primary care. There is a white doctor with MCAT of 32 (not familiar with new system), Step 1 of 230, graduates 75%tile compared with a Hispanic doctor with MCAT 28 and Step 1 of 210 who graduates 50%tile, both pass the boards. Could you with absolute certainty say that the white doctor with better stats can provide more "efficient" care than the Hispanic doctor that speaks the same language and has the same background as the patient?

To be honest, I don't know what the right answer is, but I just don't think it's as simple as you suggest - the best scores = best outcomes/most efficient.
It’s a bit much that you assume a hispanic patient doesn’t speak English, the hispanic doctor does speak Spanish and the white doctor only speaks English.

If we're really moving towards a post-racial society, then admissions should be race neutral. Scholarships should be race neutral. Race shouldn't even be asked on the application. Reviewers should be blinded to it.
Instead of being blinded to race, it's... "anti-blinding." Call it "Anti-blinding is King." In "Black is King" (which I didn't quite "get"... for why, see below!) there's one part where Beyonce says "we were beauty before they knew what beauty was." Depressingly, I think I'm part of the ignorant and/or obtuse "they." And so, theoretically, 1) I'm hopeless, 2) there's a bunch of folks who are hopeless (but many who aren't, and are beautiful), and 3) race will never be allowed to reach neutrality. I want to not be a part of the "they," but calling for neutrality will be a huge sign you're "they." Calling for neutrality is the academic equivalent of carrying an "all lives matter" banner at a BLM rally.

Yep. I'm anonymous on SDN. I don't say this stuff in the real world. I know what would happen. BTW, white race is the minority in my county and community where I live now and where I grew up. I'm in a mixed race marriage with mixed race children. I speak English and Spanish. Who cares about all that right? White cis-gender man bad. Doesn't matter that my ancestors are a blend of many ethnic groups who settled in the northern US or are fairly recent immigrants.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It’s a bit much that you assume a hispanic patient doesn’t speak English, the hispanic doctor does speak Spanish and the white doctor only speaks English.
Alright man, you got me. The scenario I presented never actually happens. All Hispanic people speak and understand perfect English, and white doctors speak and understand perfect Spanish. I just like to make up wildly unlikely scenarios for the sake of arguing on the internet.

• Haha
Alright man, you got me. The scenario I presented never actually happens. All Hispanic people speak and understand perfect English, and white doctors speak and understand perfect Spanish. I just like to make up wildly unlikely scenarios for the sake of arguing on the internet.

It's complicated. I know hispanic people who speak no or atrocious Spanish. I know people of some other races who speak excellent Spanish. I'm just sick of this race/ethnicity thing painting people with such a broad brush. I think all people are different, and to assume things about people just because of the color of their skin or genetic ancestry is racist.

Reactions: 3 users
I think all people are different, and to assume things about people just because of the color of their skin or genetic ancestry is racist.
Such is human nature. It's like if you go to a pizza place you've never been to before, and find out it's run by four black women, you'll go "Hmm."

Such is human nature. It's like if you go to a pizza place you've never been to before, and find out it's run by four black women, you'll go "Hmm."

I'm results driven. I look at the pictures of the product on Yelp or what people are eating. If it looks good to me, the menu looks solid, the reviews are reasonable, I'm all in. A lot of pizza joints where I grew up were run by Greeks or other middle easterners. What's the difference between those ethnicities and african-americans when it comes to pizza?

Reactions: 1 user
It's complicated. I know hispanic people who speak no or atrocious Spanish. I know people of some other races who speak excellent Spanish. I'm just sick of this race/ethnicity thing painting people with such a broad brush. I think all people are different, and to assume things about people just because of the color of their skin or genetic ancestry is racist.
Yes, I complete agree that it's complicated and I hate the painting with the broad brush as well. I am not saying there aren't Hispanic people that don't know English or white doctors that don't know really good Spanish. My argument is simply, better MCAT/USMLE does not necessarily = better doctor. I was just trying to provide an example of why it's more complicated than that.

If the great scarb himself doesn't have "the psychiatric vocabulistic armamentarium to speak cogently about this phenomenon", then there's not much hope for the rest of us.

When it comes to "moving towards a post-racial society", that is precisely the opposite of what postmodernism and critical race theory want to do. They want to infuse everything with race and power, including truth and science itself. As a result, the AHA article simply HAD to be attacked and pulled. Whether or not it was truthful from a data and objectivity perspective was immaterial- it spoke against the (unproveable, data-free) doctrine and needed to be voraciously attacked.

I've enjoyed Brett Weinstein's Dark Horse Podcast with his wife on these topics, but it does make for depressing listening when you realize how truly deep into all this stuff academia (including medicine now) has sunk.

Edit: I'm also a dude who speaks spanish who might not look like he would.

• Haha
look at your question above. Explain how you aren’t saying it would be bad to have more asian males...because I think you are but I’m willing to hear your explanation

to answer your followup, I don’t care at all about the demographic results of a selection process based on merits, never have. So if the meritocracy produces equal distribution in a field that’s just a coincidence and not a goal to be praised. The goal should always be eliminating discrimination in our processes. It seems like you are proposing to stop meritocracy and replace it with minimal standards so that you can institute racial discrimination. Again, I’m willing to hear explanation otherwise
So tell me the most valid metric of how we choose good doctors both from an IQ and EQ standpoint?

I think from an economic standpoint it's inefficient to attempt to mirror societal demographics in higher education.

What happens if I proposed that we mirrored race in say... Pro Football. Let's make sure that 5% of all pro-Football athletes are Asian and no more than 15% are black. Maybe let's do the same in Pro-Basketball. We would have some pretty s**ty Pro-Football and Pro-Basketball to watch.

How about if I proposed that we should have equal numbers of men and women as ObGyns? (From my 4 seconds of Google it looks like 17% of the 2017 class was male.)

Some people will naturally be better at doing job "X" than another, whether it's a cultural or genetic upbringing. From my point of view, the cost to society to artificially balance gender and race in every type of job effectively lowers the overall performance of that industry as a whole.

If you think about why the Asian representation in higher education is absurdly high here, you have to remember that India and China are the most populous country in the world. America granted highly qualified Indian/Chinese people visas/citizenship here for work and education and these children of India/China's elite obviously do very well in school here. When you've artificially selected to only bring in the most educated people of a certain country, they're going to out-compete the general population.

I would elaborate into more detail but would have fears that I'd be kicked off of this board for not being woke :-(.
What's the MD equivalent to free throw percentages and 3rd down conversions for determining the best physicians?

The sports analogy to this issue never made any sense to me. Being a doctor means meeting certain competency standards, and that's it

So tell me the most valid metric of how we choose good doctors both from an IQ and EQ standpoint?
The better question is why do you think racial discrimination has place in picking the best doctors, because I propose it does not

Never said bad, but nice try. Why can't med/undergrad classes mirror their percentages in society once they've met minimum competency benchmarks for admission?
Never proposed discrimination, anymore than you are pro Asian/white when it comes to becoming a physician, but thanks for playing
Look above. How do you propose to achieve that goal (or even justify having a racial goal) without discrimination?

How is it discrimination if there are many more applicants than slots available and they are all qualified?
You are proposing loosening the standard to minimally qualified as opposed to most qualified for the express purpose of preferentially recruiting/accepting particular applicants on the basis of race/gender... again I would ask, how do you justify racial discrimination for this situation?

you’ve already openly said you think there is a point at which there are too many asian males. You‘ve already expressed a desire to have a quota system where the ideal would be matriculant demographics mirroring the general population. Why is that racial discrimination ok?

You are proposing loosening the standard to minimally qualified as opposed to most qualified for the express purpose of preferentially recruiting/accepting particular applicants on the basis of race/gender...
What standards have i proposed loosening? The second part of your statement is false.

You still have yet to define the metrics which best define the most qualified physicians.

Let's try to be intellectually honest about defining one another's positions shall we?

@sb247 and @medgator take it to PMs going forward please on this specific topic. You two are only talking nit-picky points with each other and while I won't delete the previous posts, I don't think anybody else is interested in the two-person convo you guys are having.

@sb247 and @medgator take it to PMs going forward please on this specific topic. You two are only talking nit-picky points with each other and while I won't delete the previous posts, I don't think anybody else is interested in the two-person convo you guys are having.
The posts are on topic. But I’ll do as requested

Didn't have a chance to read dr wangs article, but I think we may already have minimum competency issues with the existing classes we are admitting. Not sure how we increase representation when first time board failure rates (a minimum competency?) are already quite high among urm students relative to their non-urm counterparts. You should see the bar exam data for law students. In California, the bar pass rate was 5% for black test takers this year. Are we really doing these students a favor allowing them to incur several hundred k of debt to meet some representation quota, knowing full well the pass rate on these exams is very low and they may never get jobs to pay off their debt? Sounds a lot like the field of rad onc right about now actually...

• Wow
  • Sad
In the mainstream media (CNN) “Black newborns 3 times more likely to die when looked after by White doctors”

Said it before now just wonder if when patients will ask for doctors based on race. For the lay public isn’t reasonable to ask if this narrative is being pushed? Don’t forget the JCO Penner et al article saying something similar for cancer patients.

Original article published in PNAS - wow

In the mainstream media (CNN) “Black newborns 3 times more likely to die when looked after by White doctors”

Said it before now just wonder if when patients will ask for doctors based on race. For the lay public isn’t reasonable to ask if this narrative is being pushed? Don’t forget the JCO Penner et al article saying something similar for cancer patients.

I think this line of research is inherently problematic... not because these questions shouldn't be asked, but because they are only allowed to be asked in one direction. If a study found the opposite -that black babies are more likely to die at the hands of black doctors- the authors would be panned/ostracized regardless of the factual basis.

Research is already biased by the fact that positive studies are exceedingly more likely to be published than negative ones-if a question is asked 20 times and the results are negative 19 times but we only see the positive result, we can falsely believe that there is a statistically significant difference...

...this is only amplified when we only ask questions where a positive result reaffirms a societal belief.

Unsurprisingly the title is misleading and not an accurate representation of the findings

I'm sure Reshma Jagsi will find a way to run an analogous analysis, go p-value fishing, and make headlines for pulling out some random gender difference. Sounds about right for something she's made an entire career out of.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
And shots are fired back! I highly agree with this move. I hope it goes into the education system elementary to grad school (edit: including med school and oncology!) as well.

Last edited:
I think it's very reasonable to call everyone with a doctorate "Dr. XYZ" and would consider it disrespectful if you did not if that was their preference.

Alt the same time, this reminds me when General Walsh called Senator Barbara Boxer "ma'am" and felt disrespected and wanted to be called senator. She was unaware that the words "sir" and "ma'am" are used in the military to signify those of higher than them on the chain of command with the point being not many higher ranks than army brigadier general. Did the Senator have a right to be offended and be called senator - absolutely. Did Gen. Walsh respect her and call her the proper title without denigrating her due to unconscious bias - absolutely.

This is another be careful what you wish for case. When I became an attending, multiple physicians, men and women, insisted that I call them by their first name as a sign of equality. I also insist as well. I also wonder when somebody calls Dr. Roach "Mack" or Dr. Zeitman "Tony" - that person must be a hot shot to be able to call those guys by their first name. The pendulum will swing the other way when we see at the next ASCO with the abstract "Male surgeons more likely to call each other by their first name and their female colleagues by their academic title showing implicit bias and more camaraderie towards their same gender."

Called it. Though it's not a paper, I knew that the first name / Being called "Dr." would not last. See the Tweet by Taison (he wants to be called by his first name right?) who is definitely on the woker side things (see article and views in pic) now wanting to be called by first name.

DUH - Copy.PNG

Is there anyone under 70 here that doesn't want nor call their colleagues by first name? I wonder if Dr. Bell will be getting push back?

I 100% agree with Dr. McCullough below:

Called it. Though it's not a paper, I knew that the first name / Being called "Dr." would not last. See the Tweet by Taison (he wants to be called by his first name right?) who is definitely on the woker side things (see article and views in pic) now wanting to be called by first name.

View attachment 319486

Is there anyone under 70 here that doesn't want nor call their colleagues by first name? I wonder if Dr. Bell will be getting push back?

I 100% agree with Dr. McCullough below:

I used to call all my colleagues by their first name. Now I find myself calling my female colleagues "Dr. So and So" at tumor boards, because LOTS of my female former medical school classmates (I'm in my early 40s) are constantly complaining on facebook about how they are called by their first name, rather than "Dr." in a professional setting.

I used to call all my colleagues by their first name. Now I find myself calling my female colleagues "Dr. So and So" at tumor boards, because LOTS of my female former medical school classmates (I'm in my early 40s) are constantly complaining on facebook about how they are called by their first name, rather than "Dr." in a professional setting.

I also make it a strong point to call any female MD that is also an attending Dr. So and So unless they specifically tell me not to. Male attendings outside of my department over the age of 55-60 I end up defaulting to doctor. Only males within the department that I routinely call Doctor are the chair of rad onc and chair of physics.

I'm the same way and am concerned that I will be perceived as "disrespectful." Although pratically, I always call someone "Dr." until they say "you can call me by my first name." I even do that for residents I don't know.

The reality is that if a someone asks you to call them by their first name, it is usually a sign of respect, and we should be charitable to recognize that as such. I also recognize that it can be seen as disrespectful. Has anyone been in the awkward situation where you are like "Hey, you call me John/Jane Doe" but they say "I prefer to be called Dr. XYZ."

Update on the Dr. Norman Wang's situation. I hope the feds get not only Pitt, but the AHA as well. I have no issues with a rebuttal to Dr. Wang's article. It's about time there is real push back on this nonsense. The reality is though, open discussion is >>>> than retraction and getting the DOE involved, but such are the times...

Edit: Full DOE letter here: https://libertyunyielding.com/wp-co...rgh-Oct.-7-2020-about-Norman-Wang-removal.pdf

Update on the Dr. Norman Wang's situation. I hope the feds get not only Pitt, but the AHA as well. I have no issues with a rebuttal to Dr. Wang's article. It's about time there is real push back on this nonsense. The reality is though, open discussion is >>>> than retraction and getting the DOE involved, but such are the times...

Edit: Full DOE letter here: https://libertyunyielding.com/wp-co...rgh-Oct.-7-2020-about-Norman-Wang-removal.pdf

This letter only gets sent from the executive branch if it's (R). Once it's (D), expect Pitt's "problem" to evaporate.

• Sad
This letter only gets sent from the executive branch if it's (R). Once it's (D), expect Pitt's "problem" to evaporate.

I completely agree. This is going to get ugly really fast. (R) will make full use until transition of power. If (D) gets in power it may also weaponize the DOE. Not good for anyone. Unfortunately, no vaccine for this...

I completely agree. This is going to get ugly really fast. (R) will make full use until transition of power. If (D) gets in power it may also weaponize the DOE. Not good for anyone. Unfortunately, no vaccine for this...
Did you read the DOE's letter. It was pretty... angry. Subpoenas. Interviews. Question responses. Big money threats. But also making point after point; e.g. colleagues got on twitter and called him racist and DOE asks Pitt "was that defamatory under PA law, if not why not?" And Pitt's getting a DOJ Civil Rights referral too. As much as it sucked for Wang the last year it's about to suck for Pitt.

There's weaponization of the DOJ now according to some.. unfortunately i do believe the current WH occupant has been a catalyst to bad actors on both sides and i don't know if this will cease when the other side is in power

Last edited:
There's weaponization of the DOJ now according to some.. unfortunately i do believe the current WH occupant has been a catalyst to bad actors on both sides and i don't know if this will cease when the other side is in power
It looks like Moore's Law has begun to apply to partisanship.

One can hope. It wont' end well otherwise.

@scarbrtj I did read the letter. It's something where I initially said "Oh yea GO GET 'em" until I realized when the DOE / DOJ weapon is pointed at your team it's no fun. The cat is out of the bad. None of us here contributed to it, but we are now caught up in it. It really should've been an intramedicine debate. Now since it's a social media and government agency war, we will all lose.

Game theory wise, it seems very unfortunately, that the best strategy is to strike when it's your turn as you feel the other side will strike when it's their turn. Can Vinay Prasad stop it?!?! I hope he will not get crushed from sticking his neck out.