Dare you to reply!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Variation in Treatment Planning of Radiation Therapy Procedures in the United States​

"Men just bill better" šŸ˜‰
Let's see:

1) Resident first author
2) Database study
3) Endpoints of unclear purpose ("let's see if there's a difference in IMRT vs 3D with gender")

Must be a RadOnc paper.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Let's see:

1) Resident first author
2) Database study
3) Endpoints of unclear purpose ("let's see if there's a difference in IMRT vs 3D with gender")

Must be a RadOnc paper.
4). Woke AF
5). Irrelevant to 99.9999% of clinical practice

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@scarbrtj can tell you all about breast IMRT
Scarb's point has been if the published literature calls it IMRT, and ASTRO says it's not... it's definitely IMRT. Just to show you how wackadoo this can get, here's a copy/paste from Evicore's guidelines. And instead of writing out the acronyms, I'll spell them out...
"The Intensity Modulated Partial Organ RadioTherapy... trial... required that all patients receive 3D conformal radiation therapy using forward-planned, field in field radiation techniques."
So hey, it was an IMRT trial that required non-IMRT on everyone. Whatevs guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Scarb's point has been if the published literature calls it IMRT, and ASTRO says it's not... it's definitely IMRT. Just to show you how wackadoo this can get, here's a copy/paste from Evicore's guidelines. And instead of writing out the acronyms, I'll spell them out...
"The Intensity Modulated Partial Organ RadioTherapy... trial... required that all patients receive 3D conformal radiation therapy using forward-planned, field in field radiation techniques."
So hey, it was an IMRT trial that required non-IMRT on everyone. Whatevs guys.
You should see evicores section on igrt and why they see fit to deny it on a regular basis...

There are other fields with semi-useless papers but at least they can be somewhat amusing and have memorable figures

Or there is this gem. They at least tried to pretend that they had a scientific hypothesis all though in reality I think they just had access to a couple elephants, a lot of drugs, and a lot of extra time.

summary of initial study here:

Honestly, there is just so much of this stuff you cannot keep up, but this one is too sad to pass up...

Link to podcast here:

The podcast is actual very mild and civil. It was an interesting conversation and really nothing that should require an "restorative justice session." At 14:24, Dr. Livingstone notes "disportionality does exist and we as a society need to figure out why that occurs and how to make conditions better for those who live in structurally undesirable circumstances." Both doctors on this podcast noted that it is not due to anyone's personal racism and that there are structural issues. There was some quibble about how helpful it was labeling it "racism" and if this perhaps took away from the project of making structural changes.

It's a warning though that the host of this podcast (Dr. Edward Livingston, surgeon UCLA) for his wrong think, Big Brother, I mean UCLA, "will be facilitating a Restorative Justice session with his department and the DGSOM Office of Equity and Diversity Inclusion."

He will also be required to pay the salary of the visiting URIM med student stipends of UCLA dept of radiation oncology and then write a letter in 5 years why structural racism and not the proliferation of residency spots, are the reason they are unemployed.*

*This is not true... not yet...

Oh Evil One,

Do you purport to put African descent physicians in same category as Black Americans? I donā€™t think a Nigerian American first generation = black American that has been raised for many generations in Us and descended from slaves.
That is correct, they were born in different places and depending on the individual have different experiences. However, both groups have to deal with current systemic racism in the USA. And also hiring a Black person from Africa or America will encourage Black youths to pursue it if they are interested.

Also, probably from another thread, who cares if they want a book to learn about the specialty they're interested in and don't have the money currently to pay after doing interviews and having to think about a possible move across country? Who cares if someone wants to help them pay for it?

Last edited:
That is correct, they were born in different places and depending on the individual have different experiences. However, both groups have to deal with current systemic racism in the USA. And also hiring a Black person from Africa or America will encourage Black youths to pursue it if they are interested.

Also, probably from another thread, who cares if they want a book to learn about the specialty they're interested in and don't have the money currently to pay after doing interviews and having to think about a possible move across country? Who cares if someone wants to help them pay for it?
Data shows Black immigrants from other countries do well in this country, suggesting that "current systemic racism in the USA" isn't a barrier to success: Sociologist Looks At Why West Indian Immigrants Succeed

I realize that this isn't necessarily germane to this discussion AND would get me destroyed on Twitter for even suggesting the above.

• Wow
Data shows Black immigrants from other countries do well in this country, suggesting that "current systemic racism in the USA" isn't a barrier to success: Sociologist Looks At Why West Indian Immigrants Succeed

I realize that this isn't necessarily germane to this discussion AND would get me destroyed on Twitter for even suggesting the above.
I would have to agree with the Twitter folks on this one. Racism has an effect in this country on people who were born from a mother who came here from Kenya, and those that were born from a country on the Western side of Africa that were forced to come here. I don't need data on this, I can literally walk up to just about any Black person in this country and ask them about it and they will probably have a story to tell that will break my heart.

You have said a lot of things about non racial topics in the past that I agree with though.

Dare you to Reply thread has already gone down this path. Maybe, bump the convo over there.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Wrong. Please donā€™t come on here and pretend ā€œSystemic racismā€ is an established fact, may be more accurate to say has an established definition.

If it does exist, then the good Olā€™ white boys club must have got together and said ā€œWe are racist and misogynists but letā€™s make a system where Asian immigrants and Nigerian immigrants do better than the white people.ā€

We all understand URMs have a different life experience and that diversity is good, but would it hurt so much to help poor white or Asian students? Or with a big compromise help only poor URMs?

Please donā€™t come on here and pretend ā€œSystemic racismā€ is an established fact
I'm sure that if "there was clear evidence of fraud in the 2020 election" then systemic racism is an established fact as well.

As a white male who grew up pretty poor I have my biases and I support Black youths in this matter. I think helping poor URMs is of more benefit to this country as a whole, but I would hope all poor people who have good will would receive support no matter their color. Being a poor white male, I still never had to deal with a constant threat of racism.
Look here internet, we made a compromise on race related matters. I guess it can be done (but not on Twitter...) :thumbup:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I'm not even going to touch this one :whoa:

Let's go back to bashing the residency oversupply hahaha :claps:
Lol, I spent some time in the anesthesia thread... letā€™s just say it gets heated every single election cycle. I think we have all run out of argument discussions these days which may be a good thing.

As a white male who grew up pretty poor I have my biases and I support Black youths in this matter. I think helping poor URMs is of more benefit to this country as a whole, but I would hope all poor people who have good will would receive support no matter their color. Being a poor white male, I still never had to deal with a constant threat of racism.

May I ask why you feel so strongly about it? Do you feel as an ORM you were slighted? Generally curious about the thought processes going on here and would like to better understand.

Please move this to a better topic if available.
I feel this is a very important topic b/c the good intentions of many people are turning this country into a nightmare.

I know of no single person who does not recognize URMs as a whole have distinct disadvantages and obviously deserve our help as people, physicians, and country. The problems are the "solutions" and incredible backlash against disagreeing (see the articles about Dr. Norman Wang on this thread).

If you have specific questions on a topic I am happy to address but quickly : Asian/Indian/Jew discrimination, Garbage "science" (implicit bias, microagressions, all the real poor equity studies in oncology), mandatory diversity education (see need for diversity statement for UC professorships and what happened to Dr. Livingstone to show up before the Restorative Justice session with his department and the DGSOM Office of Equity and Diversity Inclusion), and mostly for us physicians the ability for us to take care of other ethnicities (do black doctors get better treatment from other black doctors? by see Penner et al.).

This is a long thread with a lot of posts. I think my thoughts have been articulated fairly well. It's a lot to go through, but I'd take a quick perusal from the beginning if you are interested (I understand if you don't have the strength lol).

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
This happened at the place I trained at like 2 or so years ago. This is a hellpit program and matched a FMG from an Asian country/medical school. However they didnā€™t match/soap into a prelim spot so eventually thier spot was given to someone else outside of the match like 6 months later who was already doing a prelim. Rad onc is now easier to match into then a prelim spot (at least at some places).

Often Med schools have some prelim spots in reserve for their own students in case this happens (or a team in place to aggressively help you find a spot during soap). Makes one question why their own school program wouldnā€™t take them or succeed in finding them a spot for a year.

Couldnā€™t you just do an IM intern year?

Couldnā€™t you just do an IM intern year?
Has to be an available spot to take.... I've heard of some people ending up in prelim surg at the end of it all when there are no other slots left in order to make it to their pgy2 program on time

Has to be an available spot to take.... I've heard of some people ending up in prelim surg at the end of it all when there are no other slots left in order to make it to their pgy2 program on time
Maybe those prelim surgery program directors aren't desperate for just another warm body.... ;)

• Haha
I think the growth of medical schools (including new medical schools) as well as DO schools being rolled into the ACGME, has created more demand for residency positions overall, including prelim year positions. Simple (?) supply and demand.

Maybe those prelim surgery program directors aren't desperate for just another warm body.... ;)
I mean they are... but they have standards! Things that they want besides a pulse. And rad onc residencies and prelim programs venn diagram in terms of overlap in what they're looking for (including one incoming resident at UPMC at least) is "have a pulse". Rad onc programs value previous rad onc experience, research, etc. Surgery intern program directors don't care about any of that.

When stating one's preferred pronoun, why are 3 written, as in she/her/hers? Is they/him/hers an option? If speaking English properly, the other two naturally follow. That said, if speaking English properly, a plural pronoun like "they" wouldn't be an option for a singular person. Rather, "it." I'd prefer to be an "it."

This piece is so bad it's just sad. Have to use formal title for women, when men ask for regular names formal titles all of sudden titles don't matter, race OBVIOUSLY is a factor even though it wasn't in the paper, wants equal high hierarchical standing & prestige for women but at the same time doesn't want hierarchy. Of course, gender is also a social construct, so watch out who you assume is a woman!

Solution is given in the last paragraph:

"Join the Gender Equity community on the ROhub to continue the discussion on this important topic by answering this question: In addition to speaker or clinic introductions, where else do you think greater consistency should be implemented to advance equity? *Also, want to be canceled and fired from your job then, come on over and disagree even slightly with anything the Gender Equity says. Big Sister/Brother/Gender Fluid Sibling is watching you!"

*Not in original article, but strongly implied.

• Haha
Itā€™s something thatā€™s easy for academics to focus on when substantive clinic research proves to be too difficult.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
This is precisely why I started addressing everyone on here by Dr. FirstName Lastname, Credentials.

Announcer: I would now like to present our next speaker, Gfunk6!

Me: Excuse me, but I did go to medical school, could you please introduce me as Dr. Gfunk6?

Announcer: Of course, my apologies - everyone his name is Dr. Gfunk6.

Me: Did you just assume my gender? My preferred pronoun is they.

Announcter: They?

1616619341667.png

• Haha
Announcer: I would now like to present our next speaker, Gfunk6!

Me: Excuse me, but I did go to medical school, could you please introduce me as Dr. Gfunk6?

Announcer: Of course, my apologies - everyone his name is Dr. Gfunk6.

Me: Did you just assume my gender? My preferred pronoun is they.

Announcter: They?

View attachment 333302
I think I would like to be referred to as they. I like to imagine it as the majestic plural! I didn't get a chance to be born into a Royal family so here we are.

My dude is clearly confrontational and perhaps a bit unhinged, but it also seems like UVA almost certainly violated his rights and I suspect they will lose in spectacular fashion in court. I think the kid did a decent job and was wise to record the proceedings. A real attorney is going to steamroll this collection of knuckleheads who felt that they were above being challenged by a medical student.

Last edited:
My dude is clearly confrontational and perhaps a bit unhinged, but it also seems like UVA almost certainly violated his rights and I suspect they will lose in spectacular fashion in court.
I couldn't tell if unhinged. I had to think, if being threatened with total med school annihilation, maybe a little umbrage and righteous outrage is in order. Billy Joel wrote a song about the angry young man.