Dare you to reply!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What Tanner stage is that cake?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So, in Ghent (Belgium) when a female resident finished Urology residency a PENIS cake is served.

Discuss, my dear American friends!

At least they have a sense of humor…something decidedly lacking in the US.

I could just imagine the ****storm HR would rain down on whoever pulled this stateside

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1643945417412.png

This is the closest rad onc will get to sniffing that moonshot money. What a field!

• Haha
Well you know they didn't survey anybody in our field.

Anybody heard of any Radoncs planning to retire in the next two years?
One of the problems is the "partial retirement option" available for senior partners who are enormously protected by the terms of the practice agreement and bylaws.

I think there are plenty of senior radoncs who are now very part time, picking up good cash (well, well above locum rates), playing pinch hitter for their practice so young docs (some of whom aren't partner) can take off on occasion.

Reactions: 2 users
One of the problems is the "partial retirement option" available for senior partners who are enormously protected by the terms of the practice agreement and bylaws.

I think there are plenty of senior radoncs who are now very part time, picking up good cash (well, well above locum rates), playing pinch hitter for their practice so young docs (some of whom aren't partner) can take off on occasion.
I just heard of a guy in academics who left the academic place, was fully vested there and thus draws 75% of his old salary from the academic place in perpetuity; he left for a juicy new PP job a few miles away! The older guys can have it made for sure.

• Okay...
Reactions: 4 users
Every few years an "are you going to retire?????" survey comes out. Rates are usually between 15-20%. Doesn't seem to fluctuate all that much. Whom among us hasn't dreamed of greener grass?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

One of the ARRO residents who originally researched this historically important gentleman was a black resident in a southeast program. Upon graduating in 20 or 21, the resident went on to a “fellowship” in brachy in NE Florida (and is still “fellowshipping”). This fellowship entry (on this one data point at least and lack of finding a true job) was NOT included in the most recent ARRO data on fellowships and job finding.

It makes me wonder how thorough previous ARRO efforts have been in this regard.

• Hmm
One of the ARRO residents who originally researched this historically important gentleman was a black resident in a southeast program. Upon graduating in 20 or 21, the resident went on to a “fellowship” in brachy in NE Florida (and is still “fellowshipping”). This fellowship entry (on this one data point at least and lack of finding a true job) was NOT included in the most recent ARRO data on fellowships and job finding.

This is why I've questioned the data ever since ARRO took over from Daniel Flynn and Terry Wall

Half of the mskcc and Stanford graduating classes went onto fellowships, yet the survey only listed something like 6 fellows.

A memorial grad gets a K99, which is R01 equivalent and probably gets handed out to less than 1% of any md/phd in any field, but sure lets call them a fellow because who cares if we differentiate between facts and presumptions

A memorial grad gets a K99, which is R01 equivalent and probably gets handed out to less than 1% of any md/phd in any field, but sure lets call them a fellow because who cares if we differentiate between facts and presumptions
2 did research fellowships (one was apparently newfound interest in lab work) and one did a clinical (what a joke!). What about 3 from Stanford?

Dr. Seideman, a pediatric urologist, seems to have the same question.

Next time a patient asks what gonorrhea feels like I’ll show them that picture.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I wonder if patients on anti-androgen therapy are less prone to commit microagressions. If so, maybe we can start offering our "well known investigator" (male) speakers pre-meeting 1 month Lupron.
Thinking about the MOA, wouldn't that just cause more catty microaggresions?

• Haha
  • Wow
They person spewing microaggressions or the tweeter of deep imbuedness
Just that phrase. Anything with "microaggressions," but throwing "deeply imbued" in there is weird. Something strange about using deeply imbued in place of something like "littered." Which is not to say I have any interest in justifying the term microaggressions in the first place. The phrase deeply imbued gets at the us vs them vision that is so common in those born after '90.

I wonder if Dr Coops sidled up to the mic and imbued?

Reactions: 1 users
1645210427825.png

Karen here to educate us on disparities.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
A Hard Nut to Crack: Addressing Disparities in Genitourinary Cancers
No, this is about "Nuts", it's about Disparities in Genitourinanry Cancers. Only half of the patients have "Nuts"!

No, this is about "Nuts", it's about Disparities in Genitourinanry Cancers. Only half of the patients have "Nuts"!
I suspect it's way more than half, but you're right. On the other hand, though about 10x less common in the US (cervix vs prostate), disparities in cervical cancer is it's own massive academic undertaking. And justifiably so. I don't consider it or uterus GU, TBH. Guess I got caught up as a radonc thinking GU really only means prostate, that one bladder, and that presentation on seminoma.

Edit: nut being an almond, almond being a prostate

• Haha
I feel like I need to incorporate microagressions into my daily routine
My father was a paraplegic from age 21. I watched many (ignorant) people as a child ask if he had AIDS or seem to imply he was mentally deficient etc. When you’re in a wheelchair, almost the whole physical world can be a microaggression. Amazingly and in all sincerity he never seemed one iota bothered by any of the microaggressions and would often reverse them with hilarious effect. I would say he should have taught a class but it would have probably been very microaggressing.

Reactions: 6 users
1645276469401.png

Another favorite from this meeting. Immigrants telling Americans/the West just how bad they are. Gotta admire the grift. He'll go far.

• Haha