Darn you UNC!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HumbleMD

hmmmm...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry but I must vent. Is anyone else getting frustrated with how in-state-centric many of these schools are? I called UNC-CH today practically begging for an interview, because I will be flying into RDU for my Duke interview this week and was hoping to maybe interview with UNC on Friday because I don't want to drop another $200 for another flight. If I were in-state I would have already been able to have my interview, because they don't even have to undergo a review of their secondary. Is UNC just not going to tell OOS appliants when they even receive an interview? Is it even going to happen before winter break? Grrr...:mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry but I must vent. Is anyone else getting frustrated with how in-state-centric many of these schools are? I called UNC-CH today practically begging for an interview, because I will be flying into RDU for my Duke interview this week and was hoping to maybe interview with UNC on Friday because I don't want to drop another $200 for another flight. If I were in-state I would have already been able to have my interview, because they don't even have to undergo a review of their secondary. Is UNC just not going to tell OOS appliants when they even receive an interview? Is it even going to happen before winter break? Grrr...:mad:
if you were instate, i dont think you'd be dropping $200 for flights.

if you were instate, i dont think you'd be dropping $200 for flights.
Booh. You miss the point that if I were instate I'd already know I have an interview because I received a secondary. I can't believe that they have two completely separate application processes for IS vs. OOS.

Members don't see this ad :)
duke does regional interviews, for what it's worth.
unc has an explicit mission to provide care for north carolina; nc residents are more likely to fulfill that mission.
surely, you benefitted from U of M's in-state preference? :)

I'm OOS and have heard nary a peep out of UNC as well. I would say C'est la vie, but I don't really know how to spell it...

I'm OOS and completed the secondary 3 months ago. UNC is the last school I'm waiting to hear from. I sent an email to them asking about my status and never got a response. I'm still hoping for an interview, but at this point, i have no idea what the chance of getting one is.

i hear where you're coming from and i know the IS/OOS discrepancy is unfair, but hey, they're a state school, so that's their preference. getting into some of the Cali schools OOS is even tougher. and we all benefit from our particular state schools, so i don't really blame them for being NC focused. (btw im OOS for nc too).

I waited about 2+ months after submitting my secondary then got a phone call out of the blue, and interviewed less than a week later. I would guess that having some kind of connection to NC is almost a must for getting an interview/acceptance.

I've been complete at UNC since Aug. 16th and have called twice since and they've said both times that no one's made a decision yet...:( :( :(

I've been complete at UNC since Aug. 16th and have called twice since and they've said both times that no one's made a decision yet...:( :( :(

Well, its a good point that you probably need some connection to NC to get an interview/acceptance...they want to make sure that you have a good chance of actually coming here from out of state. Even for out-of-state acceptances, 50% of the people admitted come here, that is way higher than any private school...that says to me that the committee has tried to ensure that they are only offering to those with some real committment to come to NC, not just someone listing UNC because they applied to all top-20 schools or something.

I only applied to UNC-CH SOM because I used to live in Chapel Hill/Durham and worked at GlaxoWellcome for years. I'm now out of state, but I'd be more than happy to return to NC and practice medicine there after medical school. Hopefully they'll see this instead of auto-rejecting applications because they live out of state.

I'm OOS and have heard nary a peep out of UNC as well. I would say C'est la vie, but I don't really know how to spell it...
c'est la vie :)

tres bien = very good

You spelled it just fine. And I agree...it sucks, but such is life in this process. Not all of it's fair in the least. Between running around the country or some people getting no/next to no interviews...it's hard on all of us.

Best of luck everyone.

You live in a state with in-state centric medical schools, so I think it's fair play. The mission of state schools is to provide doctors for their state. IMO, they're fulfilling that mission by focusing on admitting instate students.

i hear where you're coming from and i know the IS/OOS discrepancy is unfair, but hey, they're a state school, so that's their preference. getting into some of the Cali schools OOS is even tougher. and we all benefit from our particular state schools, so i don't really blame them for being NC focused. (btw im OOS for nc too).

The people who it's unfair to are the people who either live in a state without a medical school or live in a state with schools that give very little preference to instate applicants. It's not unfair to people like the op who live in Michigan, which is friendly to its instate applicants.

i thought for people living in states w/o a medical school, there's usually an agreement set up with a neighboring state school that they will consider you as 'in-state'? also, i think michigan is actually one of the least preferential schools in terms of in-state applicants. i haven't heard of any state schools that don't have any preference for in-state applicants?

The people who it's unfair to are the people who either live in a state without a medical school or live in a state with schools that give very little preference to instate applicants. It's not unfair to people like the op who live in Michigan, which is friendly to its instate applicants.

Yeah, I know U of M is a great state school and a real convenience, but I've been in Michigan for 21 years of my life and am ready to move away, permanently. Where I go to Medical school will probably play a large part in where I practice medicine (as long as it's outside of Michigan).

Well, its a good point that you probably need some connection to NC to get an interview/acceptance...they want to make sure that you have a good chance of actually coming here from out of state. Even for out-of-state acceptances, 50% of the people admitted come here, that is way higher than any private school...that says to me that the committee has tried to ensure that they are only offering to those with some real committment to come to NC, not just someone listing UNC because they applied to all top-20 schools or something.

Not true. I have an interview coming up and the only times I've been "to" NC, if you can call it that, is driving on my way to FL and GA. I might gotten out of the car for gasoline once, but that's about it.

Lovely state, though, from what I've seen.

Good luck, everyone.

Booh. You miss the point that if I were instate I'd already know I have an interview because I received a secondary. I can't believe that they have two completely separate application processes for IS vs. OOS.

Every IS who gets a secondary gets an interview??
Nice.