Dartmouth (full-tuition) vs UVA (half-tuition scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalStudent2021

Applicant 2020-2021
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is definitely a tough choice, both are great schools but you seem to like UVA more and the only downside would be the cost. I don't know your current situation but, the average salary of a doctor in the United States is around $294,000/year (& for derm it is much higher). I know a lot of these threads say cost should be the biggest determining factor in deciding where you'll be receiving your medical education, but I think if you think you can make it work its worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I would have said Dartmouth, but after this recent scandal, I have a hard time recommending that school honestly. There's no way to know if it's a "one time thing" frankly. But at the same time, you're at a different stage of your life, and finances matter more. I think UVA although more expensive also provides you some tangible benefits - diversity, nearby family support, location - you have to weigh the overall happiness of your family vs. finances vs. your dream school etc.

If you do pick Dartmouth, make sure to turn your phone and all other devices off during every exam...\

Also good lord man, 15 acceptances? Jeezus

Reactions: 4 users
I would have said Dartmouth, but after this recent scandal, I have a hard time recommending that school honestly. There's no way to know if it's a "one time thing" frankly. But at the same time, you're at a different stage of your life, and finances matter more. I think UVA although more expensive also provides you some tangible benefits - diversity, nearby family support, location - you have to weigh the overall happiness of your family vs. finances vs. your dream school etc.

If you do pick Dartmouth, make sure to turn your phone and all other devices off during every exam...\

Also good lord man, 15 acceptances? Jeezus
Yeah finances definitely matter more, if I were single I’d probably go to UVA bc I think it offers a better lifestyle but now I’m leaning more to Dartmouth tbh. I read the WCI book for Med student a few weeks ago and his #1 advice was “Go to the cheapest school you get into”

LOL yeah very unexpected, I could’ve saved some money and time by not applying to that many schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is definitely a tough choice, both are great schools but you seem to like UVA more and the only downside would be the cost. I don't know your current situation but, the average salary of a doctor in the United States is around $294,000/year (& for derm it is much higher). I know a lot of these threads say cost should be the biggest determining factor in deciding where you'll be receiving your medical education, but I think if you think you can make it work its worth it.
I agree with this. I'm going to a school that is going to cost me about 80K more over 4 years but its better for my wife and kids. I know I'll be happier during those 4 years vs paying less but not being as happy. Maybe it's not financially as smart but I know someday the loans will be paid off and won't matter but where I went and what I did there will always matter. Best of luck and congrats regardless!

Honestly, the fact that Dartmouth allowed THAT MANY students to fear for their careers without doing a proper investigation first really sickens me. I am not a fan of an institution that would go on a witch hunt against its own students and think it says enough about the current administration.

No brainer - go to Dartmouth. I just looked at my loan balance as I start my last year of school and seeing the numbers for yourself changes the perspective. I would go to almost any school to owe 120k less, and Dartmouth has matched people into what you want to do so there is no reason not to go there

In my mind, Dartmouth is tainted for now with this cheating / administration scandal. Seems like very sloppy administration. What kind of school allows students to take exams with phones on anyway. Something is amiss. I think UVA is a better fit for OP. Hanover, NH area is very white and very rural.

That said, I'm curious as to whether any of the OP's other 13 acceptances rise to the level of these two.

Reactions: 2 users