Dartmouth vs. UMiami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoos_georgia

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted to Dartmouth and would love thoughts about my upcoming decision!

Dartmouth

Pros
:
-Prestige/name recognition
-Really solid match list
-Small class size
-Amazing feeling during interview (subjective but true for me)
-Clerkships around the country
-P/F grading

Cons:
-Location (cold, rural, etc.)
-I've heard that many students are older and married (I'm 23 and single, so that may be a concern)
-Lack of diversity
-Higher cost

Miami

Pros:
-Location! Miami would be a sweet place to live.
-Decent Match list
-Fun/laid back student body from my impressions during my interview
-Opportunity to learn Spanish
-Amazing diversity of patents
-Lower cost

Cons:
-Less prestige/lower ranking
-Ranked/graded grading system

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!! What's your background that might point you one way or another:
-Are you interested in a very competitive specialty and/or putting out research?
-Do you like the city feel, or are you more comfortable in open spaces? (I've been to Dartmouth before and it's definitely isolated to an extent)

Congrats!! What's your background that might point you one way or another:
-Are you interested in a very competitive specialty and/or putting out research?
-Do you like the city feel, or are you more comfortable in open spaces? (I've been to Dartmouth before and it's definitely isolated to an extent)

I am most interested in either Internal Medicine or Pediatrics, so I most likely won't be applying to a competitive speciality. I do prefer the city feel, but I'm more worried about the social isolation (too few graduate students in Hanover) than simply being in a rural area.

I am most interested in either Internal Medicine or Pediatrics, so I most likely won't be applying to a competitive speciality. I do prefer the city feel, but I'm more worried about the social isolation (too few graduate students in Hanover) than simply being in a rural area.

Then your choice is obvious. UM all the way

Reactions: 3 users