DAT Advice (MY DAT IS IN 4 DAYS! HELP :) )

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John Meehan

Reaction score
Good afternoon y'all, I come for some advice. I am taking my DAT this Saturday (8/20/22). I have been studying since the beginning of April, I followed Aris schedule and have been doing a practice exam every other day since last week. I try to replicate the exam setting as close as possible (wake up at 7am, shower, eat, no phones, no notes, etc.) These are my scores
Exam 5
(AA: 20) Bio: 19/ Gen Chem: 21/ O chem: 20/ PAT: 20/ Reading: 25/ QR: 19
Exam 7
(AA: 21) Bio: 20/ Gen Chem: 20/ O chem: 22/ PAT: 20/ Reading: 23/ QR: 18
Exam 8
(AA: 20) Bio: 19/ Gen Chem: 19/ O chem: 22/ PAT: 20/ Reading: 21/ QR: 18
Exam 9
(AA: 20) Bio: 21/ Gen Chem: 22/ O chem: 20/ PAT: 20/ Reading: 21/ QR: 18
I plan on taking and reviewing both exam 4, and 10 before my exam day. My ideal score would be a 23, but anything above a 20 would be perfect since I will be applying to Texas schools. What should I do for the next week? Anything helps, and I greatly appreciate your advice :)

Members don't see this ad.

Good afternoon y'all, I come for some advice. I am taking my DAT this Saturday (8/20/22). I have been studying since the beginning of April, I followed Aris schedule and have been doing a practice exam every other day since last week. I try to replicate the exam setting as close as possible (wake up at 7am, shower, eat, no phones, no notes, etc.) These are my scores
Exam 5
(AA: 20) Bio: 19/ Gen Chem: 21/ O chem: 20/ PAT: 20/ Reading: 25/ QR: 19
Exam 7
(AA: 21) Bio: 20/ Gen Chem: 20/ O chem: 22/ PAT: 20/ Reading: 23/ QR: 18
Exam 8
(AA: 20) Bio: 19/ Gen Chem: 19/ O chem: 22/ PAT: 20/ Reading: 21/ QR: 18
Exam 9
(AA: 20) Bio: 21/ Gen Chem: 22/ O chem: 20/ PAT: 20/ Reading: 21/ QR: 18
I plan on taking and reviewing both exam 4, and 10 before my exam day. My ideal score would be a 23, but anything above a 20 would be perfect since I will be applying to Texas schools. What should I do for the next week? Anything helps, and I greatly appreciate your advice :)
Honestly, I would just try to work on subjects you're struggling with, possibly Bio and QR based on the scores (try to get them up, I wish I worked on my Bio score more but there was just way too much material). QR was pretty easy on the exam, I was averaging probably a 16 on QR but ended up with a 22. I would also practice more PAT as I found the keyholes to be more difficult on the exam than I had anticipated. Angle Ranking and cube counting were pretty much the same if not easier. Pattern folding was hit or miss, some were pretty easy and some were just guesses.
What's your method for RC? Search and destroy? Based on your scores I'd say you're in good shape! Try to not stress too much and I found that the overall exam was actually easier than any practice exam that I took.

Good luck!!

Thank you, my strategy for QR is reading the whole passage and answering the questions as I go. I tried all the other strategies bootcamp offers, but my scores are not that great. I appreciate the advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, my strategy for QR is reading the whole passage and answering the questions as I go. I tried all the other strategies bootcamp offers, but my scores are not that great. I appreciate the advice.
What worked for me was slicing passages up and trying to create a 1 sentence summary of each paragraph for each passage. It helped cut out a lot of time which I felt was a huge problem, sorta like search and destroy. If you have any more questions feel free to reach out!