DAT Breakdown 2018 [studied 3 weeks] AA22 | TS 22 | PAT 22

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

otlcat

DDS Candidate
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the DAT on 1/8/2018 (lol this post is 7 months late) and this is my score:
AA 22/ TS 22/ BIO 22/ GC 23/OC 22/ RC 22/ QR 22/PAT 22

Just a little background about myself, I am your typical Bio major and will be graduating June 2019. My GPA right now is actually slightly on the lower side with a 3.45 cGPA and 3.43 sGPA. I was really scared and nervous about my DAT because I know I have to score well in order to counter my GPA when I apply for Dental School. During Freshman year, I took the entire General Biology and General Chemistry series along with Chemistry labs. For Sophomore year, I took Genetics, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, and the entire Organic Chemistry series. And for my first quarter of Junior year, I took Physiology, which helped me immensely on information on all the body systems. I suggest you take at least all the general Biology, Chemistry, and Organic Chemistry classes before you take the DAT because that’s what really builds your foundation. Also, I haven’t taken math since high school because I tested out with my AP Calc BC score.

Resources:
DAT Bootcamp
Cliffs AP Bio (5th edition)
Kaplan DAT Lesson Plan (I got this from someone who took the prep course but I’m not sure if this is the same thing as Kaplan Blue Book)
Feralis' Bio Notes
Chad’s Videos for both OC and GC
DAT and Math Destroyer (2017)
2009 ADA Practice Test
QVault (free trial Bio exam)
Old notes from my OC class

Schedule (8-10 hours/day for 3 weeks):
First 8 days:
I spent this time reviewing and learning everything I need to know. I went through the entire Cliffs AP Bio book in the first two days, watched Chad’s videos for GC and OC for the next 4 days in 2x speed and doing his quizzes. I spent 1 day reviewing concepts and formulas for QR, and 1 day BC generator practice for PAT.

Next 7 days:
I mostly just did the BC practice and Destroyer. I was struggling in Bio and realized that the Cliffs AP Bio book isn't too detailed so I would go back to the Kaplan DAT Lesson Plan book and Feralis' Bio notes to memorize the details (eg: fertilization and gastrulation).

Next 5 days:
I did all 5 full lengths from BC, one per day. Also, I did the free Bio exam from QVault. After I get my practice score, I would go back and review all the problems I got wrong and the ones I wasn't sure on to make sure I fully understand the concept. I realized that I was struggling a lot in PAT and OC so I did the BC PAT generators everyday and went back to review my old notes from OC class along with watching Mike's videos.

Last day (the day before the exam):
I know some people say to not study the day before the exam, but I'm the type that would freak out if I'm not studying until the last minute so I took the 2009 ADA Practice Test. I heard a lot about how this test is pretty accurate in predicting your scores for the actual DAT. I think that’s only true for the Natural Sciences and PAT sections. RC and QR were ridiculously hard and I got more than half wrong on each section. I was honestly so confused by the passages and so many of the QR questions from this test take at least 2-3 minutes to solve and I had to guess on the last 5 questions because I was running out of time.

Practice Scores: (see my attached file)

Lastly, by no means that I’m telling you to only study for 3 weeks and take the DAT. This worked for me but it might not work for you. Please study earlier if you really feel lacking in some areas!

Don't be nervous! I wish you all good luck my fellow SDN'ers! LET'S ALL GET INTO DENTAL SCHOOL!! :D

P.S. Thank you to @Ari Rezaei , @FeralisExtremum, Mike, and the Bootcamp team! Without Bootcamp I would have definitely not achieved these scores. Also a huge thank you to @orgoman22 for DAT destroyer and Math Destroyer, and Chad for the great chemistry videos!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• DAT practice scores.xlsx
    31 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Great score! And wow. You really overperformed in Bio in comparison to your bootcamp averages. Do you feel you had an easy test or were the bio questions just much easier than Bootcamps?

Reactions: 1 user
Nice break down. You got that clean 22 sweep for AA, TS and PAT , im jealous :laugh:

Great score! And wow. You really overperformed in Bio in comparison to your bootcamp averages. Do you feel you had an easy test or were the bio questions just much easier than Bootcamps?

The bootcamp questions were pretty accurate compared to the real test but I actually panicked during the Bio portion because I got like 4 plant questions :vomit: I thought I was getting a 20 max but I guess I did better than I thought haha

Members don't see this ad :)
The bootcamp questions were pretty accurate compared to the real test but I actually panicked during the Bio portion because I got like 4 plant questions :vomit: I thought I was getting a 20 max but I guess I did better than I thought haha
Great score!! How were QR and PAT compared to bootcamp? Are there certain formulas you recommend I should know for QR?

Great score!! How were QR and PAT compared to bootcamp? Are there certain formulas you recommend I should know for QR?

QR was very similar to BC overall but I got around 5-6 quantitative comparison questions which were pretty tricky and required a lot of algebra (a lot of my answers turned out to be "cannot be determined") but other than that it was ok! Just memorize all the formulas on the math sheet from BC!

I honestly think it depends on the version of test you get for PAT in terms of difficulty. The keyhole questions I got were a lot harder than BC; they had weird shapes that either didn't have a defined edge or have too many edges :cryi: Most of my hole punch questions were similar to the difficult ones on BC but keyhole is my best section so it was manageable (it did take me longer than usual though). TFE and cube counting was similar to BC while angle ranking and pattern folding was a lot easier, which threw me off because I usually suck at the latter two.

That being said, I think bootcamp's PAT was pretty spot-on with the real one in terms of overall difficulty. It's something you just have to train your eyes to get used to! PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT !!! I wish you good luck !!! :love:

Status
Not open for further replies.