DAT BREAKDOWN (26AA/25TS/22PAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

norfleet1131

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! After finishing up the DAT this past Monday, I finally have had time to post a breakdown. Since I used so many other breakdowns to develop my study schedule, I wanted to be able to give back a little bit. This period can feel overwhelming, but the time you put in now will truly pay off! I couldn’t have had a better experience with DATBootcamp, but we will get into that soon.

Actual Scores:

PAT: 22
QR: 26
RC: 28
BIO: 25
GC: 22
OC: 30
TS: 25
AA: 26

Background:

I took this in June, right after the end of my Junior year. I am a biomedical science major, so I have a decently strong background in the sciences, but haven’t touched any math since high school (except for stats). I did a lot of research into different DAT study programs. From those students who had performed highly, an overwhelming number of them used Bootcamp. For my studies, 99% of it was done through Bootcamp, with some supplements coming from my past lecture notes. I began my studying at the end of March on top of my full course load, and really ramped it up in the beginning of May when classes ended.

End of March-April 28th: 8hr/week (5 weeks)
May 2nd-June12th: 32hr/week (6 weeks)

I was a little nervous about the amount of time I had to solely focus on the DAT, however the 6 weeks of full time studying was plenty for me with a little bit of strategy. I began my studying by taking a full length practice test, which I HIGHLY recommend for everyone. The biggest takeaway I had was the importance of feeling what it is like to grind these tests out for 5 hours.

Knowing that my time would be sporadic during the school year, I focused on studying material I could improve on during short spurts of time, especially the PAT as that had been my weakest section, as well as QR.

When May came around, it was all gas, no breaks. I began everyday with the warmups, as well as 30 minutes of PAT generators. From here, I would spend 2.0 hours on biology, 1.0 hour on gen chem, 1.0 hour on Ochem, and 30 minutes on QR. If I had time in my schedule after this, I would complete extra practice in any section I felt weak in. In May/June, I took full advantage of the full length tests, always taking at least one test a week and going through any question I guessed on or got incorrect, in heavy detail. I did every full length test.

PAT 22 (BC Range:17-21)
-The PAT was always the most stressful section for me. Fortunately for me, Joel from BC is killer, and makes this section a lot more fun to practice. His PAT academy videos are a must for everyone in the beginning stages of studying.

For a month, I never felt like I had enough time to answer the questions accurately and hit every section. If keyhole and TFE give you a run for your money, I suggest skipping straight through to Q31 and the angle ranking. DO your best to fly through these and the hole punch. Definitely approach cube counting by accounting for every single cube in a simple chart. By doing this, you can easily get 100% in this section and increase your speed.

My biggest advice is to hit this section every. Single. Day. Even when you take a break from studying, it is crucial. The PAT requires a specific form of thinking which can only be trained through practice. This section tends to be a time-crunch for many, so really get used to completing full length timed tests and train your brain!

QR 26 (BC Range:20-24)
-I have always had a pretty decent problem solving ability when it comes to math, but the DAT questions take a little bit of practice to get used to. After my first test, I used my weak areas to determine where I should focus and did the coinciding Q-Banks. Like PAT, the best way to learn this section is by doing. Definitely get used to the Quantitative Comparison and Sufficiency questions. BC nails these when compared to the actual test.

RC 28 (BC Range:22-27)
-I don't have much to say for this section. I felt Bootcamp did a solid job of providing similar articles and questions. I used the vanilla method, and still had 5 minutes in the end to review tagged questions. Be prepared for questions which aren’t overtly in the text! Also, be sure that you get used to the timing. It is easy to get carried away in digging for one question. Make a few mistakes like this on a full length test, and you will soon understand the importance of skipping those difficult questions!

BIO 25 (BC Range:17-21)
-For BIO, I used the High-Yield notes initially, and read through every chapter. From here, I would complete the corresponding Q-Bank and watch the videos if needed. Honestly, the high yield notes in combination with the section tests are all that you need if you have a decent base in the subject. There were a fair amount which were pretty much identical to BC, and many which were very similar. Do not skip these section tests, they are highly representative of the real test. Also, in BC most questions have 4 solid answer choices which actually pertain to the subject at hand. On the actual test, oftentimes 2 or even 3 of the wrong answers could easily be ruled out if you knew their definitions, as they didn’t even apply to the question at hand.

GC 22 (BC Range:19-22)
-I was a little surprised that this was my closest science score as I had always felt I was stronger in this area. With that being said, there wasn’t a moment on the actual test where I was blindsided. For this section, a strong understanding will take you a long way, even when presented with an unorthodox question. Utilize Dr. Mike’s videos as much as possible, and don't forget to hit those section tests. They feel daunting but are more representative of the actual test than the Q-Banks as they force you to constantly shift what specific subject you are thinking about..

OC 30 (BC Range:17-22)
-Organic was a little different on the actual DAT when compared to BC, mainly in the fact that it was significantly easier. However, it felt this way due to the high level of questions I was faced with. Also if you are able to, always watch the video explanations for questions from Dr. Mike and Tyler, they are great. Every single reagent was covered numerous times on BC. Understanding mechanisms can help you greatly. For me, most of these came from my orgo prof, but Tyler would go the extra mile to cover these in many questions. By understanding Ochem and not memorizing the material, you will best maximize your potential!

Week before the test:

I started working full time the week before, so I had to be very intentional in my approach. My priority was to review any incorrect questions from the full length tests, then any questions that I tagged “learning”. 10/10 recommend if you are needing direction for that last week when you feel like you have used all of your resources.

Day of the test

Started the day with a really solid breakfast with a good balance of protein and carbs. My nerves were at an all time high, especially with the caffeine. If you want to start on time, I’d recommend being 45 minutes early to your testing center as the check-in process can be lengthy. As long as you are there and signed in at the front desk by your test time, you will be fine. They wont kick you out if their line goes longer than your start time. I went in expecting a 22-23AA, so I was so ecstatic to see my unofficial cores but also not super surprised. As I was taking it, there wasn’t a moment I second guessed myself. I attest this to my time spent with the full length tests, and forcing myself to be comfortable under the pressure.

Moral of the story:

I highly recommend Bootcamp for DAT prep. Do your research, create a study schedule before you begin (with flexibility), and trust the process.Being nervous is a good thing, it shows that you are taking this seriously and value your success! This is never a bad thing, do your best to reframe your thoughts and find the positive in it. Be proud of your journey. For my BC users, don’t be surprised to see a few point jump when you go to take the actual test! When studying, it is so easy to get burnt out. Don’t deprive yourself of friends, family, and things you enjoy. The gym kept me motivated, if that is your thing.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and good luck fellow Pre-Dents!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 25DBDECA-A67D-4F16-8A34-01285F9730FC.jpeg
    25DBDECA-A67D-4F16-8A34-01285F9730FC.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: 1 user