DAT breakdown..NEED advice desperately

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorjibbs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening fellow SDNers, I am going to keep this short! Just wrote my first DAT and my scores are as follows:

PAT - 20
QR - 15
RC - 21
BIO - 22
GC - 21
OC - 24
Total Science - 22
AA - 21

GPA 1st degree - 3.2 (At NESCAC School)
GPA 2nd degree - 3.8

For QR I used DAT destroyer and up to test 11 on Math Destroyer. Was scoring above 20 on ADEA 2007 and 2009 QR sections. I felt prepared for this section. My question for you all is whether I should retake the DAT or apply? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Assuming you haven't applied yet, I would say contact the schools you're interested in and see if the 15 QR would be an issue. Your GPA is low though, so I'd suggest a retake and probably apply early next cycle for sure, but maybe roll the dice this cycle depending on what the schools tell you. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
You could be ok with decent EC's and volunteering. A 15 is definitely low and below cutoff for many schools but your TS and AA is relatively high. QR is also typically the lowest weighted section schools consider

Members don't see this ad :)
I would retake because of the 15QR. It stinks to redo everything, but in my humble opinion, admissions is extremely competitive, and I would want to apply with the strongest possible app., esp. given how expensive the application cycle can get.

Assuming you haven't applied yet, I would say contact the schools you're interested in and see if the 15 QR would be an issue. Your GPA is low though, so I'd suggest a retake and probably apply early next cycle for sure, but maybe roll the dice this cycle depending on what the schools tell you. Best of luck!
Roll the dice!?!? Thats what I said on another thread. Put some respect on my name

1. Are you trying to apply this cycle?

2. Do you know what your overall calculated oGPA and sGPA will be in AADSAS?

3. Are both of your degrees in science?

Greatly appreciate the feedback so far. Both degrees will be in the science. First degree was B.A. Biology major at a school that was very rigorous and I was also a student athlete. Second degree is B.S. Medical sciences.

I have one year left of the second degree so my GPA will fluctuate slightly but if everything goes as well as last year I will continue getting nearly straight A's. I would suspect my science GPA to be near 3.4 and my overall GPA around 3.5

Also have 100+ hours of dental related shadowing, 3 years of clinical research, and many volunteer hours.

Roll the dice!?!? Thats what I said on another thread. Put some respect on my name
Didn't know you owned the term. :rolleyes:

OP a ~3.4 is decent, your EC's are good too, but do you have a personal statement and all ready? Would you be able to apply in the next two days? It is getting late in the cycle, and it's honestly a gamble.

I should have made it more clear that I will not be applying until the beginning of the next cycle. That way I can have my second degree completed and all of my other courses worked into my GPA. I will be able to volunteer, join a few clubs and submit the best application that I can.

I appreciate the advice. Although I put everything I had into this DAT and really do not want to think about taking it again, that is probably the safest bet :(

Should I wait 3 months before taking the US DAT or just take the Canadian DAT? Do most US schools have preference for the US DAT? I am aware that they are slightly different but wondering if they are generally seen as equivalent by schools?

Dude, personally, with a 21 AA and 22 TS there is no way I'd retake unless your top schools have a strict cut off for QR.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I appreciate the advice. Although I put everything I had into this DAT and really do not want to think about taking it again, that is probably the safest bet :(

Should I wait 3 months before taking the US DAT or just take the Canadian DAT? Do most US schools have preference for the US DAT? I am aware that they are slightly different but wondering if they are generally seen as equivalent by schools?
No. Half the us schools don't accept cdat.

Qr is generally the least important part and your other scores are great. I'd email the schools after this year's application rush and ask about that one score.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will contact schools directly and gain their opinions as well. In the end that is what really matters. P.S. Feralis thank you for your notes!!!!

Greatly appreciate the feedback so far. Both degrees will be in the science. First degree was B.A. Biology major at a school that was very rigorous and I was also a student athlete. Second degree is B.S. Medical sciences.

I have one year left of the second degree so my GPA will fluctuate slightly but if everything goes as well as last year I will continue getting nearly straight A's. I would suspect my science GPA to be near 3.4 and my overall GPA around 3.5

Also have 100+ hours of dental related shadowing, 3 years of clinical research, and many volunteer hours.

I don't think a retake is necessary unless you're interested in schools that have strict cutoffs. With that said, since you aren't applying until next cycle, you would have plenty of time to pull that QR score up with a retake, so definitely consider it. Not needed but it would be beneficial to wipe the 15 off your otherwise strong scores.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will contact schools directly and gain their opinions as well. In the end that is what really matters. P.S. Feralis thank you for your notes!!!!

Happy to help!

I had a 16 QR and my AA and TS are lower than yours and I have had about 7 invites so I don't think you should retake it. Your other scores are great! Most schools don't care about QR as much. Although, if you do want to retake, go ahead, but a retake doesn't always mean you'll get a better score.

My concern is that I have a very busy course load this year in my final undergraduate degree...Slightly nervous of the thought that when I take the DAT again before the next application cycle that I may not be as prepared as I need to be. What would happen if worst case scenario my RC, PAT, AA, TS dropped :O ?

My concern is that I have a very busy course load this year in my final undergraduate degree...Slightly nervous of the thought that when I take the DAT again before the next application cycle that I may not be as prepared as I need to be. What would happen if worst case scenario my RC, PAT, AA, TS dropped :O ?
Those sections are a lot more important than QR so that would not really be that good of an outcome/ trade off for bringing up one section. Literally every other section is more important than QR (from what I've seen and been told).