DAT Discussion for those who have taken it...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

infoinquire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking the DAT for the second time. I'm a bit nervous!! I'm wondering how much help people found the following resources:
DAT Bootcamp
Kaplan
Destroyer
Course Saver (Chad's)
These are the resources I am using. Any advice/info/nerve calming words would be much appreciated!! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
DAT Bootcamp is good. Kaplan is good for basics and for practice tests. Destroyer is nice for biology, I found the other sections painful. Try going to the DAT Discussion section of the dental forums, you should find a lot more information there!

DAT Bootcamp is good. Kaplan is good for basics and for practice tests. Destroyer is nice for biology, I found the other sections painful. Try going to the DAT Discussion section of the dental forums, you should find a lot more information there!

Okay!! Thank you!! :thumbup::thumbup:
I've looked through the forums and I still decided to post (I suppose to just get some more reassurance)! Haha!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am taking the DAT for the second time. I'm a bit nervous!! I'm wondering how much help people found the following resources:
DAT Bootcamp
Kaplan
Destroyer
These are the resources I am using. Any advice/info/nerve calming words would be much appreciated!! ;)

Course saver (the website) is fantastic.
I also used cliffs ap bio

Course saver (the website) is fantastic.
I also used cliffs ap bio

Oh man... I TOTALLY used Chad's! Forgot about that one. Ooops... revised it above. Well, I'm glad I used that then too!

Hey! I took the DAT for the second time too. Your resources are solid -- just make sure to pinpoint your weaknesses and understand what went wrong the first time. It kinda sucks having to study again, but stay motivated and know that if you did it once, you can do it again!

Also, make sure you get plenty of practice doing tests. I think that was my problem initially -- the second time around, I also used TopScore and Achiever. For the prac problems, even though it's really important to try your best to get an accurate score, I thought it was more important to review the problems I got wrong and then re-study those concepts. Remember: breadth over depth!

Hey! I took the DAT for the second time too. Your resources are solid -- just make sure to pinpoint your weaknesses and understand what went wrong the first time. It kinda sucks having to study again, but stay motivated and know that if you did it once, you can do it again!

Also, make sure you get plenty of practice doing tests. I think that was my problem initially -- the second time around, I also used TopScore and Achiever. For the prac problems, even though it's really important to try your best to get an accurate score, I thought it was more important to review the problems I got wrong and then re-study those concepts. Remember: breadth over depth!

Wow you just made me sigh with relief. That was such an encouraging post! Sometimes I get overwhelmed when I see all these people (who, by the way, are AWESOME) doing amazing their first time taking the test when I didn't. Congrats on your success and thank you for the encouraging words!

Also, did things look familiar to you the second time around? Or is that question just crazy now because you're DONE with the test? lol

If you're talking about the test, then no way, haha. All the questions the second time around were completely different.

But I picked up the study material more quickly the second time, so I was able to get a little more detailed with my studying. It also helped that I took Biochemistry right before my second time.

If you're talking about the test, then no way, haha. All the questions the second time around were completely different.

But I picked up the study material more quickly the second time, so I was able to get a little more detailed with my studying. It also helped that I took Biochemistry right before my second time.

Okay, cool!!

@ OP, I did the same thing, took the DAT twice. Lots of people do it, so don't let this get you down! Just modified my study habits a tad (lots more focus on biology and PAT for me).

Btw, hi Bruin :p

I didn't use Bootcamp or Kaplan, but I used the Destroyer and Chad. Destroyer was good practice for gen chem, o-chem, and biology (not so much the QR). Math Destroyer was good for the QR. Chad was flippin' awesome.

I posted a breakdown a couple months ago with some study advice, and I'll copy and paste it here because I still stand by what I said.

"Study advice:
1. Study the way you feel comfortable, but keep it reasonable. I'm a strong believer in writing down things to retain them better, but this wasn't working for me while I was studying for biology, at all. During the first week, I was spending 3-5 hours on biology alone... not good if you have a busy schedule and have a crap ton of other stuff to study. This led me to drop biology altogether for a couple of weeks (procrastination) and caused a cascade of other problems. If I could go back in time, I would have done my studying a lot more differently. I eventually bought myself an early "good score" gift - an iPad (if I did well, I get to keep it - good incentive to study) - and downloaded a flashcard app and used that to type up biology flashcards. A lot more efficient and better.
Also for the record, I only went through DAT Destroyer once, but the ones I missed/were fuzzy about twice. I read a lot of breakdowns where people went through the entire thing 2-3 times... I don't think that's necessary. Just mark the ones you miss or feel uncomfortable with, then redo those. Why do the ones you already know how to do? Chances are you'll get them right the second time.
2. DO. NOT. PROCRASTINATE. You will eventually hate yourself. I consider myself a "professional procrastinator" and eventually ended up procrastinating, but this came with an emotional break down and a sobby phone call to my parents while in an upright fetal position on the bathroom floor. DON'T DO IT!
3. If you feel like you need to reschedule, DO IT!!! So after that depressing phone call, I rescheduled my test to 1.5 weeks after my original test date. The cause of this, like I said, was procrastination. I freaked out in the cafe while studying biology and started tearing up because I knew I wasn't going to be ready in time for my original date. Went home and rescheduled. It cost me $60... but what's more expensive? $385 for the test + subsequent studying materials, delaying your test by another whopping 90 days, or $60 and 1.5 weeks? I don't regret rescheduling one bit.
4. Don't be concerned with practice test scores. Being in a testing environment is a lot different than sitting at home in your PJ's with one leg propped up on the chair. The focus is different and the mentality of needing to do well is enhanced (at least in my case). My one and only Topscore exam was abysmal... but I looked past that.
5. Surround yourself with positive people. I have an amazing roommate and an absolutely amazing boyfriend, both of whom stayed by my side the whole time, watched my emotional breakdowns and mental break downs (both of which happened often) and told me that everything would be okay... without my friends, roommates, and the best boyfriend in the world, I wouldn't have been able to make it through.
6. Don't be afraid to take rest days. There are just some days where studying will only make your day worse. I had about 4 of these days during the 2.5 months. It's okay. Don't punch yourself in the face for taking a few rest days. You need them to be more focused the following day.
7. Don't put yourself down. That's the first step to failure. If you don't believe in yourself, then you're already one step behind when you walk into that test room. Tell yourself that you can do it. You studied hard over the last few weeks/months and you know your ****. Walk in with a can-do 25+ attitude."

Good luck on your second round! I have a feeling you will do awesome.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness... waking up to all this advice is making me feel so much better (and like I'm not alone)!! THANK YOU GUYS!!!

If you haven't seen it, check the "Ultimate Breakdown Collection" in my signature. You can find reviews on basically every single resource possible, and people have written tons of advice. My breakdown is in there, too. Best of luck!