Dat done!! 8/31

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredds19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my breakdowns:

PA: 21
QR: 18
RC: 25
Bio: 21
Chem: 24
Ochem: 24

TS: 22 AA: 22

Study Materials:
DAT Destroyer, DAT Bootcamp, Chad's Videos

Anyway - do you think the 18 on QR is okay? Will most schools accept that?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
You were strong on the other subjects so they might compensate for the QR score. Do you think the study materials helped you with get your score? Do you think you needed to supplement for the math even more? Any advice would be great.

You were strong on the other subjects so they might compensate for the QR score. Do you think the study materials helped you with get your score? Do you think you needed to supplement for the math even more? Any advice would be great.
Honestly, yes. These study materials were on point and I felt so comfortable while taking the exam!! The QR section was actually very do-able, I just spent too much time on questions I didn't know rather than moving on!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on your scores! Best of luck with your application. You should be okay with an 18 in QR, most schools have that section as one that they are the least worried about.

how do you feel the new QC questions in bootcamp compare to the QC questions on the real DAT? would you say the difficulty is the same?

Hello All,
My name is Joe, I had a question for everyone on here who are preparing for the DAT. What methods do you guys use to memorize? Let's say for example if someone is reading Cliff's AP Biology 3rd Edition, so let's say you read a section, a definition, after reading how exactly or what exactly do you do to memorize your materials? (Please be VERY specific) because I think this might not be for me.

Hello All,
My name is Joe, I had a question for everyone on here who are preparing for the DAT. What methods do you guys use to memorize? Let's say for example if someone is reading Cliff's AP Biology 3rd Edition, so let's say you read a section, a definition, after reading how exactly or what exactly do you do to memorize your materials? (Please be VERY specific) because I think this might not be for me.
Hey Joe. Have you tried making and reviewing your own notes or flashcards? I personally used a combination of both.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I don't think this is for me.....it's like I'm getting nothing right
I'm still new anyway so looking at DAT it's pretty scary that's why I want to know specifically how are people memorizing for the test? Like after reading what do you do?

I'm still new anyway so looking at DAT it's pretty scary that's why I want to know specifically how are people memorizing for the test? Like after reading what do you do?
I take notes while reading using my own words. It helps with comprehension. If there is something I come across that I do not understand, I Google or Youtube it to get another explanation. I review the notes frequently and perhaps at the end of the week instead of reviewing the notes I make flashcards of EVERYTHING. Things I know for sure, things I am not sure about, EVERYTHING. And the process repeats. Adding more cards to the file and practicing them. This process is what works for ME. I have found this process through years of schooling and it works for all of my classes too. Don't be concerned if it does not work for you. You need to find your own learning style and what works for you. Try it out. If it doesn't work, adapt it to your needs.

I take notes while reading using my own words. It helps with comprehension. If there is something I come across that I do not understand, I Google or Youtube it to get another explanation. I review the notes frequently and perhaps at the end of the week instead of reviewing the notes I make flashcards of EVERYTHING. Things I know for sure, things I am not sure about, EVERYTHING. And the process repeats. Adding more cards to the file and practicing them. This process is what works for ME. I have found this process through years of schooling and it works for all of my classes too. Don't be concerned if it does not work for you. You need to find your own learning style and what works for you. Try it out. If it doesn't work, adapt it to your needs.

Help me out then....this seems pretty scary the DAT, I am new anyway and I was thinking of changing careers to become Dentist but for me that would mean to start all over. I plan on attending a community college, get best grades as possible in natural sciences/lab then transfer to a four year University. Now a question though, if I do transfer over to a four year university is it a necessity to finish my Bachelor's degree OR is it more important to finish up the prerequisites and then I should be fine for my 3rd year to finish all the requirements? I know I am thinking of DAT way too early at this stage, but I thought it's still a good idea to look over the DAT and to be honest...this looks very dangerous lol. Maybe I am thinking wayy to much but I would really appreciate it if everyone can help me out.

How about this.....http://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Education and Careers/Files/dat_examinee_guide.pdf?la=en page 6 shows you what the Biology section will cover - what if we for BIOLOGY only study this section where it mentions

"Origin of life, cell metabolism (including photosynthesis/enzymology), cellular processes, thermodynamics, organelle structure and function, mitosis/meiosis, cell structure, experimental cell biology, biomolecules, and integrated relationships etc"

Or do we need to study more in biology besides mentioned in the PDF?

How about this.....http://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Education and Careers/Files/dat_examinee_guide.pdf?la=en page 6 shows you what the Biology section will cover - what if we for BIOLOGY only study this section where it mentions

"Origin of life, cell metabolism (including photosynthesis/enzymology), cellular processes, thermodynamics, organelle structure and function, mitosis/meiosis, cell structure, experimental cell biology, biomolecules, and integrated relationships etc"

Or do we need to study more in biology besides mentioned in the PDF?

Those broad categories cover a very significant amount of information. If you "only" studied those sections listed in the ADA guide you would still be covering basically everything that's in Cliff's AP bio book.

Also, that was only one sub-category of biology that you pasted the info for (Cell and Molecular Biology). You also need to know everything listed under Diversity of Life, Structure and Function of Systems, Developmental Biology, Genetics, & Evolution, Ecology, and Behavior.

Those broad categories cover a very significant amount of information. If you "only" studied those sections listed in the ADA guide you would still be covering basically everything that's in Cliff's AP bio book.

Also, that was only one sub-category of biology that you pasted the info for (Cell and Molecular Biology). You also need to know everything listed under Diversity of Life, Structure and Function of Systems, Developmental Biology, Genetics, & Evolution, Ecology, and Behavior.

Thanks, What is your studying method?

Thanks, What is your studying method?

For every subject I took notes. Since your biggest concern seems to be memorization, my strategy is forced recall. After taking my notes for a section (which were really compressed so the minimal information needed was being memorized), I would read them over once, making sure I understood everything. Then I would put the notes away and force myself to recite back what was on them. At first this is going to be pretty slow - line by line and you won't be able to recall all or even most of it. Little by little your retention starts to improve, and you're able to recite bigger and bigger chunks of information without looking at the notes. I would do this for each page of my notes at a time, and once I committed one page fully to memory I moved on to the next. Equally important is that you continue to re-review what you've already memorized to keep it in your head long term. Each day I would try to go back and quickly recite what I had gone through in previous days to make sure I could still recall all of it (again, without looking at my notes but keeping them on hand to glance at and make sure I had actually memorized everything that was on the page) before moving on to memorizing new material that day.

Memorization is really only a big task for the biology section. The amount you need to memorize for QR, OC, and GC is comparatively small (mostly just formulas/equations/reactions).

If you want more detail on how to prepare for the DAT in general, I'd encourage you to read people's breakdowns in this subforum - there are a lot of different resource and strategies you can use. You can read mine here.

Reactions: 1 users
Here are my breakdowns:

Study Materials:

Congratulations! 24/24 in Chems! Love it!
18QR is above cutoffs and the 25 in reading is what schools like to see. Your hard work paid off!

Good luck to you!

Dr. Jim Romano

For every subject I took notes. Since your biggest concern seems to be memorization, my strategy is forced recall. After taking my notes for a section (which were really compressed so the minimal information needed was being memorized), I would read them over once, making sure I understood everything. Then I would put the notes away and force myself to recite back what was on them. At first this is going to be pretty slow - line by line and you won't be able to recall all or even most of it. Little by little your retention starts to improve, and you're able to recite bigger and bigger chunks of information without looking at the notes. I would do this for each page of my notes at a time, and once I committed one page fully to memory I moved on to the next. Equally important is that you continue to re-review what you've already memorized to keep it in your head long term. Each day I would try to go back and quickly recite what I had gone through in previous days to make sure I could still recall all of it (again, without looking at my notes but keeping them on hand to glance at and make sure I had actually memorized everything that was on the page) before moving on to memorizing new material that day.

Memorization is really only a big task for the biology section. The amount you need to memorize for QR, OC, and GC is comparatively small (mostly just formulas/equations/reactions).

If you want more detail on how to prepare for the DAT in general, I'd encourage you to read people's breakdowns in this subforum - there are a lot of different resource and strategies you can use. You can read mine here.

Interesting, let's say I follow exactly what you did in regards to strategies/resources which you've used and others should those be followed exactly as years go by? Because I am just starting I'm looking at 8 years ahead, so do editions/book versions matter in this case? Since things keep getting updated

Interesting, let's say I follow exactly what you did in regards to strategies/resources which you've used and others should those be followed exactly as years go by? Because I am just starting I'm looking at 8 years ahead, so do editions/book versions matter in this case? Since things keep getting updated

I would try to use the latest edition of a resource whenever possible with the exception of Cliff's AP Biology book - the more recent editions dropped some information that's still covered by the DAT (I think plant/animal diversity related) because of changes to the AP exam. Stick to the third edition on that one, otherwise go with the most up to date version of the resources you plan to use whenever you do start studying.

Here are my breakdowns:

Study Materials:

Hi, How long did you study that and what way did you study?