DAT: feeling lost and need advice 22AA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flosstythesnowman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just took the DAT today. I scored a 22AA and am really upset with it. My TS was a 22 as well. I studied a lot, and efficiently mind you, and my scores indicated I was ready for a minimum 22 and honestly expected at least a 23. Not because I was shooting for the stars, but because I thought the science sections were pretty easy and I spent WAY TOO MUCH TIME learning the small details/hardest problems that I began to forget the basic concepts. More importantly- I tend to let anxiety get the better of me and really feel like the DAT should have been a breeze. I did destroyer about 2.5 times, all bootcamp, and Feralis. I know 22AA isn't a bad score, but I really think my chances at UCLA and a couple other schools are out of the picture. I have a strong GPA, but some science courses were taken at a community college before I transferred (now graduated) to UCLA for psychology. Should I retake it, even though I apply this July?

Members don't see this ad.

While I'm also applying this cycle, a 22AA and 22TS is pretty solid in my opinion, especially with your strong GPA. I feel like a certain amount of luck is involved with scoring a 23+ as well. For instance, I studied QR rigorously, doing Math destroyer multiple times and I even got a couple 30's on BC practice tests, but still came across some very weird questions I wasn't prepared for, felt mentally fatigued, and only got a 19 on it. There's definitely a risk in retaking, as you may score the same or lower. Personally, I'd stick with your 22 and be happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Studying hard for such an important test and getting lower results than expected can definitely be frustrating. That being said, I think you should be very proud of a 22 AA, and I don't think you should rule top schools out of the picture. That DAT score is right around average for a TON of great schools, and with your high GPA you seem like a good candidate. I don't think you should reapply just because 1) it's another $400+ and 2) your mental sanity is worth more than a second round of studying. I personally know people who have gotten into great schools with your score, so don't sweat it too much and make sure you're prepared on interview day :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on a 22! Could have been an 18, right? You say you have a strong GPA so why not focus on the other aspects of your application such as writing a strong, unique personal statement and then if/when you get your interview going in and crushing it! Best of luck!