Dating and Final year of OD school

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryan_eyeball

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I know everyone can figure out my first name, but I still think there is some anonymous features to this website. I'm still a single gentleman and have found myself waiting to date someone, but know that I will not remain in the same city that I'm in currently. A lady and I have gone out a few times, and find we both like each other's company. Knowing I'm only going to be here another ten months should I really even try to date anyone from the same city? I know that she is pretty engrained in St. Louis, but the job market here for OD's isn't very good, as I'm sure most Optometry school cities are.

I guess I just find it hard now to ask someone to leave everything that she knows and family. I'm pretty much a "free bird" to go anywhere in the country as my job opportunities present themselves in the next year. I've found it harder to find single women that do not have kids already as I'm growing older now (i'm 26). Also, I really have found myself offering what I'm studying less and less as a conversation starter. I guess I want what a lot of other people always dream for, for an individual to fall in love with a person for what's on the inside most importantly.

I know some might say, well just stay in st. louis but I'm originally from a farm in Kansas. I have found that I miss the country life, and would like to move to a more slower place, and time (plus st. louis is just too da*n humid).

Well I guess I get the ridiculous gushy post of the week award.

Members don't see this ad.

Not that I have much experience, but I guess the situation aint bad...

Free birdy could go anywhere to settle down

have you actually talked to this girl about the general idea of leaving st louis? you may ne surprised to find that you have more in common than you have realised so far. its always risky to date someone when you know it may be short-lived.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ryan_eyeball said:
Well I know everyone can figure out my first name, but I still think there is some anonymous features to this website. I'm still a single gentleman and have found myself waiting to date someone, but know that I will not remain in the same city that I'm in currently. A lady and I have gone out a few times, and find we both like each other's company. Knowing I'm only going to be here another ten months should I really even try to date anyone from the same city? I know that she is pretty engrained in St. Louis, but the job market here for OD's isn't very good, as I'm sure most Optometry school cities are.

I guess I just find it hard now to ask someone to leave everything that she knows and family. I'm pretty much a "free bird" to go anywhere in the country as my job opportunities present themselves in the next year. I've found it harder to find single women that do not have kids already as I'm growing older now (i'm 26). Also, I really have found myself offering what I'm studying less and less as a conversation starter. I guess I want what a lot of other people always dream for, for an individual to fall in love with a person for what's on the inside most importantly.

I know some might say, well just stay in st. louis but I'm originally from a farm in Kansas. I have found that I miss the country life, and would like to move to a more slower place, and time (plus st. louis is just too da*n humid).

if you end up really falling for this girl, and think she's the one, i think that opens up alot of possibilities, because you'll end up more willing to locate to where she is

Ryan_eyeball said:

Ryan, ultimately, it's up to you and what your heart/brain tell you. It seems to me that you have already rationalized to yourself that you probably shouldn't start up a relationship given that you most likely won't stay in St. Louis. You're only 26, you are not old yet, and you have school to complete. I was in your situation when I was in medical school and residency. For me, it was really hard seeing my friends who were already finished with school, or almost done with school, date, get married, and even start families in their mid-twenties while I plodded along in school and then residency.

I never had time to date, get laid, or even really flirt with any women/girls/ladies. You have another of optometry school left. If you find someone for casual dating, cool...do it and have fun. Otherwise, wait until you're done, graduated, and through with your board exams. At that point, you'll only be 27 or 28, and you'll have plenty of time to look for women in your new area. Plus, you'll be a working professional, not a student and that will make you more appealing to many women.

If you're looking for stability, you might also want to try dating older women, in their early to mid 30s, or even older if you dare. It can be fun and very stable.

Hang in there, man, don't give up and focus on school. Romance will come in due time, but for now, don't let thoughts of loneliness or concern for the future get in the way of your academics.

Best of luck,
Zack

I've always thought that if you were going to start a long term relationship, if had to be BEFORE professional school, or AFTER. Basically for all the reasons already brought up.

I agree with the above post, ask her if she would be willing to move. If she says, "No way," you have your answer. It is always better to end a relationship early, rather than hang on and do it later.

Of course, have you looked in to cities around St. Louis? There would bound to be one that fits your need for the wide open spaces, yet still be close enough for her to be new the city.

The chick is more important than the job. St. Louis isn't that bad, and if you pass this one by you may be kicking yourself in the ass for the rest of your life. You're not going to meet that many women spinning dials in Salina. If it doesn't work out with her, it's not like you can't quit whatever entry-level OD job you wind up at and go pursue your optometric dreams. Good women are harder to find than good jobs (barely).

Ryan_eyeball said:
Have sex with her to get it over with! really! You're thinking too much man. Date her already! if it works out, fine. You can stay or she can move with you. If it doesn't work out, fine, move on.
You're ONLY 26 y.o. That's not old. What are you worrying about? biological clock?!
Finish school, find a job, get out there meeting chickS and enjoy life. You'll find that Someone when you're least expected!

Abner Yokum said:
The chick is more important than the job.
huh? dumbest advice I've ever heard. Be a man!
Abner Yokum said:
Good women are harder to find than good jobs (barely).
yeah? how do you find good women without a good job?!

lnn2 said:

i see what you're saying, but that's not the case for all the girls out there... i've met some that truly wish to be steady

lnn2 said:

Except for the girl dishing out the pizza slices and soft pretzels, who's going to be impressed that you spin dials at the local Costco?! :)

Abner Yokum said:
Except for the girl dishing out the pizza slices and soft pretzels, who's going to be impressed that you spin dials at the local Costco?! :)

Well that was a necessary and appropriate comment