Dating in Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It was nice that your grandmother raised you while your mother pursued her medical career. But, assuming your mother is still practicing medicine and unavailable for child care, who is going to raise your kids?

That is a problem. At some point, someone is going to have to make a sacrifice if you want to raise your kids the right way and that is just how it goes.
 
Earlier on I read about attractive people...

I've noticed a few things

The lower tier medical schools tend to have more attractive people/less uber genius nerdy types.

pharm kids tend to be a lot younger

dental ppl have the hottest guys...thats what other girls tell me, i can't judge...I'm a guy. But I have to say that the lower tier medical school students tend to be on this level too! So it all depends where u are.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ever imagine that if you do end up marrying your med student g/f , both your salaries will reach 400-500 K
and since doctors have divorce rate, atleast you wont have to pay for alimony caus she probably be making as much if not more then the guy!
now on the flip side if she was some stay at home mom you be paying half of your salary to her rest of life, now that just outta hurt

The answer is simple. Don't get married (unless you want kids, but that's usually what girls want)!
You're basically saying marry somone divorcing whom would have less hassle...
 
The answer is simple. Don't get married (unless you want kids, but that's usually what girls want)!
You're basically saying marry somone divorcing whom would have less hassle...
Just have them sign a pre-nup. Problem solved
 
I'll try to make this post as un-douchey as possible.

I just finished my first year (well, back in May) and have recently started seeing a girl. And when I say recently, I mean pretty recently (the past week and a half, and we've gone out twice, although we've talked more between dates). Anyway, she's in another grad school program nearby that's busy too, so we both understand the time constraints that the other person has during the school year (at least I hope she does).

That said, I do like this girl so far, and I'm not one to try to smother someone early on when dating them, but I feel like there's a minor sense of "urgency" (not the right word, but can't think of a better one) as far as trying to find out if this is something that we'd both want to continue on a more serious basis once school starts up. I'm not entirely sure about the details of her second year, but obviously M2 year is pretty hectic. I'd be willing to make time for her if we continue to hit it off well, but obviously I'll have to be thinking about Step I prep and stuff like that as the year goes on.

Anyway, I know I'm jumping the gun, which is why I'm trying to get a good idea of how I should take things the next few weeks. Like I said, we've gone out twice in a little over a week. I'm not even sure what the "standard" number of dates per week is, and I don't want either of us to feel like the other person is coming on too strong, but I also feel like with just over a month before school starts again, I'd like to be able to sort things out the earlier the better. Any recommendations in general?
 
I'll try to make this post as un-douchey as possible.

I just finished my first year (well, back in May) and have recently started seeing a girl. And when I say recently, I mean pretty recently (the past week and a half, and we've gone out twice, although we've talked more between dates). Anyway, she's in another grad school program nearby that's busy too, so we both understand the time constraints that the other person has during the school year (at least I hope she does).

That said, I do like this girl so far, and I'm not one to try to smother someone early on when dating them, but I feel like there's a minor sense of "urgency" (not the right word, but can't think of a better one) as far as trying to find out if this is something that we'd both want to continue on a more serious basis once school starts up. I'm not entirely sure about the details of her second year, but obviously M2 year is pretty hectic. I'd be willing to make time for her if we continue to hit it off well, but obviously I'll have to be thinking about Step I prep and stuff like that as the year goes on.

Anyway, I know I'm jumping the gun, which is why I'm trying to get a good idea of how I should take things the next few weeks. Like I said, we've gone out twice in a little over a week. I'm not even sure what the "standard" number of dates per week is, and I don't want either of us to feel like the other person is coming on too strong, but I also feel like with just over a month before school starts again, I'd like to be able to sort things out the earlier the better. Any recommendations in general?

My motto is if it's right then you have all the time in the world to get to know each other better. Second year won't change things too drastically once you get used to things. Seeing each other 2-4 times/wk is not unreasonable.
 
my opinion is to forget finding another doctor so that your children can have a parent that can give them the proper time and attention as they grow up. at some point people want to settle down and nobody should think that med school/residency is so time consuming that there is no life outside that. Look at it with a different lens and you will see that if you have someone there to support you through those rough times, it'll make the ride AMAZING. absolutely amazing.

I always hear this as a huge con, but what I always actually see are doctors who marry people with no career of their own. Early in the relationship problems come from the lack of attention, later they move all around the country for their doctor spouse, take care of the kids, and when the kids move out they realize they never lived their own life.
 
I just finished my first year (well, back in May) and have recently started seeing a girl. And when I say recently, I mean pretty recently (the past week and a half, and we've gone out twice, although we've talked more between dates). Anyway, she's in another grad school program nearby that's busy too, so we both understand the time constraints that the other person has during the school year (at least I hope she does).

That said, I do like this girl so far, and I'm not one to try to smother someone early on when dating them, but I feel like there's a minor sense of "urgency" (not the right word, but can't think of a better one) as far as trying to find out if this is something that we'd both want to continue on a more serious basis once school starts up. I'm not entirely sure about the details of her second year, but obviously M2 year is pretty hectic. I'd be willing to make time for her if we continue to hit it off well, but obviously I'll have to be thinking about Step I prep and stuff like that as the year goes on.

Anyway, I know I'm jumping the gun, which is why I'm trying to get a good idea of how I should take things the next few weeks. Like I said, we've gone out twice in a little over a week. I'm not even sure what the "standard" number of dates per week is, and I don't want either of us to feel like the other person is coming on too strong, but I also feel like with just over a month before school starts again, I'd like to be able to sort things out the earlier the better. Any recommendations in general?

M2 isn't THAT bad. I dated more in M2 than I did in M1.

No need to think about Step 1 prep off the bat - even if you do, planning on how to set up your prep and which resources to use, etc., don't require that much time.

Go out for now and see if you like her. If you do like her, you'll do what it takes to manage your schedule in M2 effectively.
 
ever imagine that if you do end up marrying your med student g/f , both your salaries will reach 400-500 K
and since doctors have divorce rate, atleast you wont have to pay for alimony caus she probably be making as much if not more then the guy!
now on the flip side if she was some stay at home mom you be paying half of your salary to her rest of life, now that just outta hurt

lol. That's news to me. Where's this guarantee? I'd love to sign up for that.
 
I'll try to make this post as un-douchey as possible.

I just finished my first year (well, back in May) and have recently started seeing a girl. And when I say recently, I mean pretty recently (the past week and a half, and we've gone out twice, although we've talked more between dates). Anyway, she's in another grad school program nearby that's busy too, so we both understand the time constraints that the other person has during the school year (at least I hope she does).

That said, I do like this girl so far, and I'm not one to try to smother someone early on when dating them, but I feel like there's a minor sense of "urgency" (not the right word, but can't think of a better one) as far as trying to find out if this is something that we'd both want to continue on a more serious basis once school starts up. I'm not entirely sure about the details of her second year, but obviously M2 year is pretty hectic. I'd be willing to make time for her if we continue to hit it off well, but obviously I'll have to be thinking about Step I prep and stuff like that as the year goes on.

Anyway, I know I'm jumping the gun, which is why I'm trying to get a good idea of how I should take things the next few weeks. Like I said, we've gone out twice in a little over a week. I'm not even sure what the "standard" number of dates per week is, and I don't want either of us to feel like the other person is coming on too strong, but I also feel like with just over a month before school starts again, I'd like to be able to sort things out the earlier the better. Any recommendations in general?
This might sound douchey, but I'll say it anyway. Try to have the upper hand, and you'll be fine. I have the upper hand in my relationship, and get to decide when we talk, meet, and meat. And my gf has no problem with it. Relationships are overall power grabbing competitions, so you should grab the power as much as possible. By that, I don't mean causing harm to the other side, but simply getting to make the decisions the way they suit you and your schedule. If you don't grab the power, most girls will do it anyway.
There are many girls who will joyfully abide by your rules, and some won't. Forget the ones who won't abide, and stick to the ones who will suit your schedule. BTW, In my menu, they shouldn't necessarily be grad/dent/med students. Every cute and smart (=not stupid) girl qualifies.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This might sound douchey, but I'll say it anyway. Try to have the upper hand, and you'll be fine. I have the upper hand in my relationship, and get to decide when we talk, meet, and meat. And my gf has no problem with it. Relationships are overall power grabbing competitions, so you should grab the power as much as possible. By that, I don't mean causing harm to the other side, but simply getting to make the decisions the way they suit you and your schedule. If you don't grab the power, most girls will do it anyway.
There are many girls who will joyfully abide by your rules, and some won't. Forget the ones who won't abide, and stick to the ones who will suit your schedule. BTW, In my menu, they shouldn't necessarily be grad/dent/med students. Every cute and smart (=not stupid) girl qualifies.
Hahahahahahahaha. A power grabbing competition, eh? Boy, you have it all figured.

I think you are confused. There is a difference between being a dominant personality and power grabbing. I tend to be dominant in a relationship and of course, many women like it when the male is very active in all the decision making and likes to take charge, rather than taking the back seat (my current gf left her husband because he was inactive). However, if you are viewing this as "power grabbing" without realizing that sometimes there must be compromise and yielding, than not a single intelligent woman will be with you. Could I find myself someone who would submit to my every whim and be pretty prostrate? Sure! But I don't want someone like that. I prefer someone who is very intelligent and has a spinal cord. Someone who can have a strong opinion about any difficult decision that I have to make. What you are describing is not someone "intelligent," but "intelligent enough" to put up with your "power grabbing." I have an aversion to couples where one party is clearly "the decider" (especially if it is the woman, but regardless of gender). Hanging out with them feels like a suffocation. A good picture: An uber-conservative chauvinist married to a girl from the country. I can't get that image out of my mind any time I see the stereotypical couple. Even Laura Bush is not someone who "submits" to Dubya.

Good luck with you "intelligent" gf who abides by all your rules. I think you're missing out on a real relationship.
 
This thread has taken such a romantic turn.
So when are we creating the adjunct dating site for SDN? We need a separate area where users can interact using pseudonyms. Since intelligence is very important for most of us here, I think that there should be a "professional" dating site where only grad students can interact (not just MD).

I guess the other option is to hang out by the library of the adjacent grad schools, but given that many of us here are introverted (check out the INTJ poll), I don't see how that's going to work. Plus the library is a place to shut up and study. I don't think most of you will disagree based on how pestering noises in the library can be.
 
Hahahahahahahaha. A power grabbing competition, eh? Boy, you have it all figured.

I think you are confused. There is a difference between being a dominant personality and power grabbing. I tend to be dominant in a relationship and of course, many women like it when the male is very active in all the decision making and likes to take charge, rather than taking the back seat (my current gf left her husband because he was inactive). However, if you are viewing this as "power grabbing" without realizing that sometimes there must be compromise and yielding, than not a single intelligent woman will be with you. Could I find myself someone who would submit to my every whim and be pretty prostrate? Sure! But I don't want someone like that. I prefer someone who is very intelligent and has a spinal cord. Someone who can have a strong opinion about any difficult decision that I have to make. What you are describing is not someone "intelligent," but "intelligent enough" to put up with your "power grabbing." I have an aversion to couples where one party is clearly "the decider" (especially if it is the woman, but regardless of gender). Hanging out with them feels like a suffocation. A good picture: An uber-conservative chauvinist married to a girl from the country. I can't get that image out of my mind any time I see the stereotypical couple. Even Laura Bush is not someone who "submits" to Dubya.

Good luck with you "intelligent" gf who abides by all your rules. I think you're missing out on a real relationship.

Well, Call it grabbing power, or being dominant. You are basically in agreement with me. I didn't say "you should never compromise", nore said "find someone who would submit to your every whim and be pretty prostrate". All I said is that if you want to date while in med/dent/grad school, try to have the upper hand in the relationship (grab the power, be dominant, and all that stuff); otherwise, you will simply lose your precious time and won't get a good bang for the buck. btw, I and many others in grad school are not looking for an "intelligent girl" who would help them build the pillars of their future family by her spinal cord. Many people (boys and girls) are trying to enjoy some quality time with someone cute, who is also NOT stupid.
 
Last edited:
Well, Call it grabbing power, or being dominant. You are basically in agreement with me. I didn't say "you should never compromise", nore said "find someone who would submit to your every whim and be pretty prostrate". All I said is that if you want to date while in med/dent/grad school, try to have the upper hand in the relationship (grab the power, be dominant, and all that stuff); otherwise, you will simply lose your precious time and won't get a good bang for the buck. btw, I and many others in grad school are not looking for an "intelligent girl" who would help them build the pillars of their future family by her spinal cord. Many people (boys and girls) are trying to enjoy some quality time with someone cute, who is also NOT stupid.
Like I said, being dominant is not the same as power grabbing. My gf is pretty dominant as well, it's just that in comparison to her, I have more tendencies like that. And "compromise" means that sometimes you allow the other party to be dominant. That's not what I got from your post.

Well, if you're talking about a 60 night stand, then I guess it doesn't matter that much who you're hanging out with. What I said was based on the desire to eventually marry someone. If you're just having fun, why even shoot for any intelligence? Get your freak on!

Nice avatar. I suggest a change in title "Clinica Putal." Hahahaha.
 
Like I said, being dominant is not the same as power grabbing. My gf is pretty dominant as well, it's just that in comparison to her, I have more tendencies like that. And "compromise" means that sometimes you allow the other party to be dominant. That's not what I got from your post.

Well, if you're talking about a 60 night stand, then I guess it doesn't matter that much who you're hanging out with. What I said was based on the desire to eventually marry someone. If you're just having fun, why even shoot for any intelligence? Get your freak on!

Nice avatar. I suggest a change in title "Clinica Putal." Hahahaha.

lol, this is turning into a game of interpretations. well, you can SOMETIMES compromise, but if you have the upper hand, you can still choose when you would want to do so. I am not for 60 night stands just as much as I am against marriage. I always try to make a relationship last as long as possible without signing papers, but if it doesn't last, hey there are so many other people left to date (and I don't wanna have kids by the way). I don't shoot for intelligence. Not being stupid is not the same as being intelligent or educated. There are some girls who are stupid, and no matter how hot they are, it's impossible to bear them more than a night. But there are hot girls who are undergrad students or simply have a high school deploma (working, etc), and totally fun to be with.
Haha, "Clinica Putal". That sounds good. You're the first who has noted my avatar by the way.
 
Last edited:
lol this is sad...asking for advice regarding dating at this age.

Look, she's not 'the one' and while you may know that you're certainly not acting like it. seeing only one girl? Having interest in only ONE girl? What happens if she leaves you? Girls are fickle, she could go bye bye tomorrow, or the day after. it may mean nothing. unless you'e already kissed her and have that going..and even then no guarantee. You gotta keep your options open and most importantly not focus on that one girl so much. You're thinking about her too much and already you've dug yourself a grave.

This isn't that serious, dating will happen, you'll meet someone and eventually get married/havekids/ etc. but you gotta have the attitude that you're a stud and can see as many girls as you want. and then YOU HAVE TO ACTUALLY GO AND MEET OTHER CHICS.

Ok, lets say you're really interested in her anyway and you want to go out with her. First off, don't see her, talk to her, or anything iwth her more than 1 time a week. If you have to do it twice then make sure its for good occasion with the intent of going PAST where you are already. Not, oh ok yea we had dinner together monday lets do it again friday...you're just going to end up a friend. I dont even care if YOU'VE MADE OUT. You're telling me that after a couple of weeks you dont know how much interest she's showing? That tells me that you've def. not gone too far in the relationship process with her. And to be honest I dont even know your situation. what have you done? Have you kissed? have you done anything of significance to know that its serious? Maybe she's just testing the waters, how do you know it will even become serious? Man, you gotta have fun with this. I'm afraid you're just setting yourself up to fail and then feel like crap when you find out she's not into you/wants to be your freaking friend....

And this whole thing about dominance...you guys sound silly. Seriously? Guys HAVE to be dominant...and I dont mean be a DYCK. Just be yourself and make it certain that you're running your own life the way you want. One thing I've learned is that when a girl wants to do something I always either say no or change it slightly. Never say yes. E.g...lets go to the movies now. Me: uh, I'm actually busy but why dont we go another time?

Thats a douchy example but you should get the point. Don't be complicit in her intention of taking your time away. Thats exactly waht women do even if they say they dont. and I'm abosultely positive I'm going to get a $#!T storm over this from a lot of girls. But the facts are facts. The reason is that she's constantly trying to see if you're just going to be a whimpy turd. I guess in medical school it becomes less relevant because a lot of people are interested in marriage. But if you want that spark in your dating dont become a BEYOTCH.
 
Last edited:
This isn't that serious, dating will happen, you'll meet someone and eventually get married/havekids/ etc. but you gotta have the attitude that you're a stud and can see as many girls as you want. and then YOU HAVE TO ACTUALLY GO AND MEET OTHER CHICS.


And this whole thing about dominance...you guys sound silly. Seriously? Guys HAVE to be dominant...and I dont mean be a DYCK. Just be yourself and make it certain that you're running your own life the way you want. One thing I've learned is that when a girl wants to do something I always either say no or change it slightly. Never say yes. E.g...lets go to the movies now. Me: uh, I'm actually busy but why dont we go another time?

Thats a douchy example but you should get the point. Don't be complicit in her intention of taking your time away. Thats exactly waht women do even if they say they dont. and I'm abosultely positive I'm going to get a $#!T storm over this from a lot of girls. But the facts are facts. The reason is that she's constantly trying to see if you're just going to be a whimpy turd. I guess in medical school it becomes less relevant because a lot of people are interested in marriage. But if you want that spark in your dating dont become a BEYOTCH.

Amen....I'm not sure to whom you were responding, but I agree with 99% of what you said, except the "get married/have kids" Bull**** (IMO). Why sign papers? So that they can take your ass to the court and cause hassle?
And don't worry about the ****storm from the girls, which you most probably won't even get. Did you notice that girls have been quiet since we started talking about this topic of dominance? They are simply reading the facts, which they already know, and chilling out (now, I might get a ****storm, so that someone can feel like they proved me wrong). Generally speaking, girls love dominant guys. Some may not, but hey, you can always skip those few. I like your example by the way. Totally true. One of my strategies is to always have some close cute female friends who keep contact with me (note that I'm not cheating). It simply makes my girl jealous, and instigates her to compete with others by pleasing me better, etc...
Oh, and in med school, a lot of people are thinking about getting married as you said, but if you don't think on those lines, there is tons of girls to date OUT of medical school.
 
I'm glad someone can agree with me. And to the above poster...you're absolutely right, I do the same thing. But on that note, I don't do it to make my gf jealous...I do it because I enjoy their company. I think thats important, that you do things for your own benefit. My girl being jealous is her own issue/fault...although I dont think I get much from her.

Everything else above is stuff you see in movies/BS that we're ingrained to believe or want to. Its mostly fluff thats from people with no real experience with women. I'm not saying they havn't dated or can't get girls...but based ONLY from the advice given its pretty awful and looks like ppl dont know what they're talking about. Not to mention that by this age people should have a handle on women/dating/social skills...you're at least 23, wtf?

Also, I only mentioned that marriage stuff because I know its on a lot of people's minds as we get older. I'm def. interested in marriage so at some point I too will. But thats a different subject.

that said, this is medical school and all of what i said should be low in priority. While our personal lives are important and having a fulfilling relationship is key its also important to note that we should strive to focus mentally on our education and do well for our careers and our patients.

Just relax and take everything in stride.
 
Amen....I'm not sure to whom you were responding, but I agree with 99% of what you said, except the "get married/have kids" Bull**** (IMO). Why sign papers? So that they can take your ass to the court and cause hassle?
And don't worry about the ****storm from the girls, which you most probably won't even get. Did you notice that girls have been quiet since we started talking about this topic of dominance? They are simply reading the facts, which they already know, and chilling out (now, I might get a ****storm, so that someone can feel like they proved me wrong). Generally speaking, girls love dominant guys. Some may not, but hey, you can always skip those few. I like your example by the way. Totally true. One of my strategies is to always have some close cute female friends who keep contact with me (note that I'm not cheating). It simply makes my girl jealous, and instigates her to compete with others by pleasing me better, etc...
Oh, and in med school, a lot of people are thinking about getting married as you said, but if you don't think on those lines, there is tons of girls to date OUT of medical school.

Amen, TY
 
I love this thread!!!

Basically...my dating life will be crappy, but I get to cut on real cadavers along with lots of studying. Then I get to just studying MS2 year.

Sounds like a plan to me. All us single boys are going to watch the games, drink beer, and hit on the women at the local bar (with undergrad coeds) during our free time. If you are going to strike out, then might as well do it with beer.
 
One of my strategies is to always have some close cute female friends who keep contact with me (note that I'm not cheating). It simply makes my girl jealous, and instigates her to compete with others by pleasing me better
Holy crap, that sounds like an awesome relationship to me. Nothing like fostering mistrust to make your bond bloom!

All us single boys are going to watch the games, drink beer, and hit on the women at the local bar (with undergrad coeds) during our free time. If you are going to strike out, then might as well do it with beer.
I promise you this: if you're out to get laid, you'll be successful. Since starting med school, I have become the world's greatest wing man. The two times my rather drunk friend decided to pull aside random girls and inform them that "this guy is going to be a doctor," I practically had to bulldoze my way through the female crowd around me (much to my girlfriend's chagrin, no doubt. Sorry, honey). My friends took full advantage. Yeah, trumpeting your career choice makes you a huge douche, but it's wildly successful.
 
I'm glad someone can agree with me. And to the above poster...you're absolutely right, I do the same thing. But on that note, I don't do it to make my gf jealous...I do it because I enjoy their company. I think thats important, that you do things for your own benefit. My girl being jealous is her own issue/fault...although I dont think I get much from her.

Everything else above is stuff you see in movies/BS that we're ingrained to believe or want to. Its mostly fluff thats from people with no real experience with women. I'm not saying they havn't dated or can't get girls...but based ONLY from the advice given its pretty awful and looks like ppl dont know what they're talking about. Not to mention that by this age people should have a handle on women/dating/social skills...you're at least 23, wtf?

Also, I only mentioned that marriage stuff because I know its on a lot of people's minds as we get older. I'm def. interested in marriage so at some point I too will. But thats a different subject.

that said, this is medical school and all of what i said should be low in priority. While our personal lives are important and having a fulfilling relationship is key its also important to note that we should strive to focus mentally on our education and do well for our careers and our patients.

Just relax and take everything in stride.

Asinus asinum fricat. :laugh:
 
Holy crap, that sounds like an awesome relationship to me. Nothing like fostering mistrust to make your bond bloom!

I promise you this: if you're out to get laid, you'll be successful. Since starting med school, I have become the world's greatest wing man. The two times my rather drunk friend decided to pull aside random girls and inform them that "this guy is going to be a doctor," I practically had to bulldoze my way through the female crowd around me (much to my girlfriend's chagrin, no doubt. Sorry, honey). My friends took full advantage. Yeah, trumpeting your career choice makes you a huge douche, but it's wildly successful.

Hahahaha.

Al, is it really that different in AK? What you most often hear on these forums is that girls usually run away from broke, busy students, med or not. I don't find that hard to believe. So in order to rectify your experience given the general knowledge, it is probably more likely that girls go after you because of your looks rather than med student status. Keep that in mind, otherwise some people here might get the wrong idea in light of some of the medstudents here acting as if they are toreadors.

You look good --> probability of getting laid is high, so is the probability of it lasting a short time because the attraction was skin deep.

You're ugly --> the probability of getting laid is more directly proportional to your "other" qualities, like not acting as a complete jack.
 
Asinus asinum fricat. :laugh:

Does that make you feel special? Everything I've posted about dating is more relevant than the absolute rubbish thats been shopped around as 'advice'

Before you call me a jack@$$, perhaps you should look in the mirror and see if you aren't one.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does that make you feel special? Everything I've posted about dating is more relevant than the absolute rubbish thats been shopped around as 'advice'

Before you call me a jack@$$, perhaps you should look in the mirror and see if you aren't one.
Man, relax, I'm joking. I get what you are trying to say, it's just that the way you are saying it is funny. There are some things you can only learn through age. I had my own asinine quirks a few years ago, and I am still not home free!
 
I'll try to make this post as un-douchey as possible.

I just finished my first year (well, back in May) and have recently started seeing a girl. And when I say recently, I mean pretty recently (the past week and a half, and we've gone out twice, although we've talked more between dates). Anyway, she's in another grad school program nearby that's busy too, so we both understand the time constraints that the other person has during the school year (at least I hope she does).

That said, I do like this girl so far, and I'm not one to try to smother someone early on when dating them, but I feel like there's a minor sense of "urgency" (not the right word, but can't think of a better one) as far as trying to find out if this is something that we'd both want to continue on a more serious basis once school starts up. I'm not entirely sure about the details of her second year, but obviously M2 year is pretty hectic. I'd be willing to make time for her if we continue to hit it off well, but obviously I'll have to be thinking about Step I prep and stuff like that as the year goes on.

Anyway, I know I'm jumping the gun, which is why I'm trying to get a good idea of how I should take things the next few weeks. Like I said, we've gone out twice in a little over a week. I'm not even sure what the "standard" number of dates per week is, and I don't want either of us to feel like the other person is coming on too strong, but I also feel like with just over a month before school starts again, I'd like to be able to sort things out the earlier the better. Any recommendations in general?


Fortunately and unfortunately, relationships, and stuff that happens in life, have nothing to do with medical school. So, you have two options: swear off all relationships and just enjoy women when you can until you're done with residency, or multitask. Plenty of people in my class are in and/or start relationships during med school, some with fellow students, some with people outside the class. And some of them want to go into uber-competitive specialties. And a number of others can't/don't seem to want to make the time for a relationship. My feeling is: either way, you're going to be a doctor; it's your choice whether you choose to get involved with someone outside of hospital time. It's all about time management.

In the meantime, it's summer! You've got eight weeks to enjoy this girl and then figure out later if it's worth trying out during the school year. Turn off the thinking part of your brain and let your limbic system take over.
 
Hahahaha.

Al, is it really that different in AK? What you most often hear on these forums is that girls usually run away from broke, busy students, med or not. I don't find that hard to believe. So in order to rectify your experience given the general knowledge, it is probably more likely that girls go after you because of your looks rather than med student status. Keep that in mind, otherwise some people here might get the wrong idea in light of some of the medstudents here acting as if they are toreadors.

You look good --> probability of getting laid is high, so is the probability of it lasting a short time because the attraction was skin deep.

You're ugly --> the probability of getting laid is more directly proportional to your "other" qualities, like not acting as a complete jack.

I think it's probably more that most girls out there don't know that you're gonna be a broke-ass mofo that's 300k in debt working 80 hours in a hospital each week. It's probably pretty easy to play the act as if you're gonna be some noble stud (it's a big plus to actually be a stud at the same time) who's gonna save lives 9-5 if you're just looking for a quickie that night. No need to bring up the debt 😉
 
I think it's probably more that most girls out there don't know that you're gonna be a broke-ass mofo that's 300k in debt working 80 hours in a hospital each week. It's probably pretty easy to play the act as if you're gonna be some noble stud (it's a big plus to actually be a stud at the same time) who's gonna save lives 9-5 if you're just looking for a quickie that night. No need to bring up the debt 😉


Everyone isn't going to be that broke. My state schools only cost around $50k a year with living expenses. So that is $200K in debt. I am a non-traditional though, so I don't have debt going in and some money saved up for the adventure of medical school.

Still word to the wise.... Don't go after gold diggers (for relationships)!! Find a nice sweet girl that likes you for you. (that is my problem I think...)
 
I'm glad someone can agree with me. And to the above poster...you're absolutely right, I do the same thing. But on that note, I don't do it to make my gf jealous...I do it because I enjoy their company. I think thats important, that you do things for your own benefit. My girl being jealous is her own issue/fault...although I dont think I get much from her.

Everything else above is stuff you see in movies/BS that we're ingrained to believe or want to. Its mostly fluff thats from people with no real experience with women. I'm not saying they havn't dated or can't get girls...but based ONLY from the advice given its pretty awful and looks like ppl dont know what they're talking about. Not to mention that by this age people should have a handle on women/dating/social skills...you're at least 23, wtf?

Also, I only mentioned that marriage stuff because I know its on a lot of people's minds as we get older. I'm def. interested in marriage so at some point I too will. But thats a different subject.

that said, this is medical school and all of what i said should be low in priority. While our personal lives are important and having a fulfilling relationship is key its also important to note that we should strive to focus mentally on our education and do well for our careers and our patients.

Just relax and take everything in stride.

Making your girl jealous ---> she strives to please you better with her company (The same thing you're looking for)
I couldn't agree more with your second paragraph. People, especially girls, are mostly dreaming during their daily life, trying to be what the movies aspire them to be. And when you bring up some sad realities about relationships (like the stuff we're talking about right now), you'll most probably be called a "douche".
 
Last edited:
I promise you this: if you're out to get laid, you'll be successful. Since starting med school, I have become the world's greatest wing man. The two times my rather drunk friend decided to pull aside random girls and inform them that "this guy is going to be a doctor," I practically had to bulldoze my way through the female crowd around me (much to my girlfriend's chagrin, no doubt. Sorry, honey). My friends took full advantage. Yeah, trumpeting your career choice makes you a huge douche, but it's wildly successful.

I'm sorry my friend, but what applies to you may not apply to others. Girls might be attracted to you because of other factors. The chance of a good looking guy getting laid these days is about 100 times higher than the chance of a med/dent student . Trumpeting your career choice might add a couple of more chicks to your collection, IF you have the good looks already. Most of my friends, including an ortho resident, keep trumpeting their career choice when we go out hunting. But I gotta tell you, they are almost never successful with girls. Now, if you are already an orthodontist/doctor/etc with an established office and a positive cash flow, that will definitely turn the chicks on, but a med/dent student, uhhh, I'm sorry to say the answer is no!
 
Last edited:
Does that make you feel special? Everything I've posted about dating is more relevant than the absolute rubbish thats been shopped around as 'advice'

Before you call me a jack@$$, perhaps you should look in the mirror and see if you aren't one.

Lol, you see, this is what I'm talking about. You'll get called a "douche", "jackass", etc, not only by girls, but also by guys who have been delusioned to think like girls. Some people just don't WANT and LIKE to open their eyes and face the realities.
 
The chance of a good looking guy getting laid these days is about 100 times higher than the chance of a med/dent student . Trumpeting your career choice might add a couple of more chicks to your collection, IF you have the good looks already.
No argument here. I'm just saying that if all you're after is some action, you're going to get it.



Al, is it really that different in AK?
I don't know much about Alaska, and both the experiences I referred to took place in Kansas City. 😛

Al, is it really that different in AK? What you most often hear on these forums is that girls usually run away from broke, busy students, med or not.
Well, quite frankly, I think that most people on these forums are so socially repulsive that it wouldn't matter if they looked like Clive Owen and had the money to single-handedly pay off the national debt. It's not much of a surprise they aren't enjoying raging success. On top of that, I'm guessing that the majority of med students are probably at the stable relationship stage and aren't all that interested in having lots of one-nighters.

The "doctors are rich" mentality is surprisingly prevalent, and I'd imagine you can count on the meat market girls not knowing enough (or being too drunk to care) about the financial aspects medical education to set off the "OMGPOOR" alarm. Since we all know that med student=doctor, you'll be okay.
 
Well, quite frankly, I think that most people on these forums are so socially repulsive that it wouldn't matter if they looked like Clive Owen and had the money to single-handedly pay off the national debt. It's not much of a surprise they aren't enjoying raging success. On top of that, I'm guessing that the majority of med students are probably at the stable relationship stage and aren't all that interested in having lots of one-nighters.

The "doctors are rich" mentality is surprisingly prevalent, and I'd imagine you can count on the meat market girls not knowing enough (or being too drunk to care) about the financial aspects medical education to set off the "OMGPOOR" alarm. Since we all know that med student=doctor, you'll be okay.

rofl, so true. I could add more but I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers here
 
There are few truisms that apply to all male-female relations. One example: what works for one couple doesn't always work for the other.
:boom: <--your minds processing this information
 
rofl, so true. I could add more but I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers here

wow yes...because I'm sure you guys know exactly how everyone looks. The fact of the matter is, technology, internet, forums, and computers are so prevalent these days that all sorts of users use these forums. And medicine doesn't necessarily carry the geek factor as much as computer science/physics/math etc.

Look, if perhaps you're socially repulsive and have issues that doesn't mean that the rest of us have the same concerns.
 
And please, stop talking about how the whole doctors are rich mentality will get you laid...
It just shows how little you understand women. Ever wonder why pretty women date the whole gamut? Rockstars, movie stars, D-list stars, sports stars all the way to doctors, lawyers, auto mechanics, plumbers, car salesmen...

Women like men with confidence, saying you're a doctor might get you attention, saying you're surgeon most definately will...but it wont get you necessarily laid. acting like a whimp, a total social nerd, an awkward guy wont get you laid..I dont care if you're brad pitt look alike. Unless you're with the most desperate, socially awkward attractive women, your looks will not get u the sack.

All money, fame, looks, do is open doors for you...thinking that somehow its a one way ticket to a hot lay is just puerile, naive, hollywood brainwashed thinking.

I'm not surprised at all that this kind of discussion exists, most guys dont even get it....c'mon guys. Just think.
 
No argument here. I'm just saying that if all you're after is some action, you're going to get it.



I don't know much about Alaska, and both the experiences I referred to took place in Kansas City. 😛

Well, quite frankly, I think that most people on these forums are so socially repulsive that it wouldn't matter if they looked like Clive Owen and had the money to single-handedly pay off the national debt. It's not much of a surprise they aren't enjoying raging success. On top of that, I'm guessing that the majority of med students are probably at the stable relationship stage and aren't all that interested in having lots of one-nighters.

The "doctors are rich" mentality is surprisingly prevalent, and I'd imagine you can count on the meat market girls not knowing enough (or being too drunk to care) about the financial aspects medical education to set off the "OMGPOOR" alarm. Since we all know that med student=doctor, you'll be okay.

It's not much of a surprise, because that raging success you're talking about (btw, getting in medical school is not considered success yet) is not getting them laid. It's not that they are not enjoying their "success", because they are repulsive. They are not enjoying it yet, because they can't reap any benefits from it yet (This shows that your "med student" status won't turn girls on, if you don't have the necessary self-confidence and looks). Now if someone has low self-confidence, he may turn into a repulsive member of the society, but you are seeing it the wrong way around.
 
Last edited:
It's not much of a surprise, because that raging success you're talking about (btw, getting in medical school is not considered success yet) is not getting them laid. It's not that they are not enjoying their "success", because they are repulsive. They are not enjoying it yet, because they can't rip off any benefits from it yet (This shows that your "med student" status won't turn girls on, if you don't have the necessary self-confidence and looks). Now if someone has low self-confidence, he may turn into a repulsive member of the society, but you are seeing it the wrong way around.

lol i think you got some wrong ideas here...why the hate against women? Its not like all women want to rip you off. Not to mention, why do you have to mention you're a physician to get laid if you're so concerned about being ripped off...

No point in using it specifically for sex. Look, if a girl really is willing to screw you because you're a doctor chances are she's got a lot of baggage, money troubles, a crook, a child, no job..etc...

There will always be money grubbing chics...but thats no reason to think its the rule rather than the exception.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lol i think you got some wrong ideas here...why the hate against women? Its not like all women want to rip you off. Not to mention, why do you have to mention you're a physician to get laid if you're so concerned about being ripped off...

No point in using it specifically for sex. Look, if a girl really is willing to screw you because you're a doctor chances are she's got a lot of baggage, money troubles, a crook, a child, no job..etc...

There will always be money grubbing chics...but thats no reason to think its the rule rather than the exception.

Lol, I don't know why "rip off benefit" slipped out of my mouth instead of "reap benefits". Well, maybe it's because of using English as a second language:laugh:.....I was never suggesting any rippings, nore was I expressing hate against women. The other SDNer was telling that your med stud status will kinda get you laid, while I see the opposite in the success (better say defeat) stories of some of my friends who use the "imamedstudent" card all the time. It's about looks/money/cars + self-confidence. If you don't have any of this, being a medstudent won't help.
 
Lol, I don't know why "rip off benefit" slipped out of my mouth instead of "reap benefits". Well, maybe it's because of using English as a second language:laugh:.....I was never suggesting any rippings, nore was I expressing hate against women. The other SDNer was telling that your med stud status will kinda get you laid, while I see the opposite in the success (better say defeat) stories of some of my friends who use the "imamedstudent" card all the time. It's about looks/money/cars + self-confidence. If you don't have any of this, being a medstudent won't help.

oh haha...i also thought you were referring to women 'ripping off' guys....ok well unless you made the correction in jest, i take it back...sorta...it still stands for anyone else thinking that way.
 
oh haha...i also thought you were referring to women 'ripping off' guys....ok well unless you made the correction in jest, i take it back...sorta...it still stands for anyone else thinking that way.

I was basically saying that the male med students are not enjoying their med student status that much, not because they are such socially repulsive people on the forums (as Milkman was suggesting), but because they can't reap any benefits from that status yet (not being able to get laid just by that).
WOmen ripping off guys is another issue. There are a lot of women who rip off guys, but that is the guys' problem who let them do so. I have absolutely no hate toward women who do it. In fact I don't care if someone would rip someone else off. I just don't let anyone rip me off.
 
I was basically saying that the male med students are not enjoying their med student status that much, not because they are such socially repulsive people on the forums (as Milkman was suggesting), but because they can't reap any benefits from that status yet (not being able to get laid just by that).
WOmen ripping off guys is another issue. There are a lot of women who rip off guys, but that is the guys' problem who let them do so. I have absolutely no hate toward women who do it. In fact I don't care if someone would rip someone else off. I just don't let anyone rip me off.

I'm sticking with the socially repulsive hypothesis. :laugh:
 
I don't know what some of you are talking about. Money will always get you laid. Looking like Brad Pitt will get you laid. Fame will get you laid. The thing is getting laid requires a least a little effort. If your rich but stay at home all day sure you won't get laid but as soon as you pull up to the club/casino in that red Italian pony you will have no trouble getting a nice lil piece. These things though only make it easier to bag women, and are not a necessity. The key to getting most girls to drop their panties is to find some sort of talent or something your good at, let her see you doing that and then close the deal. If Steven hawkings could get his junk to work all he would have to do is say some crazy ass story about the universe and he'd be up in some, wheelchair and all.


Edit: BTW just saying your a med student would almost never be enough. Mix little facts in during random conversation and it will most likely start raining in the panties. Ive had a few lays just by naming bone processes and pointing them out on her or talking about her pelvis and the bones that form it.
 
Last edited: