Dating Nurses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If it's your only card, then no, it doesn't work. If you're awkward, disheveled, woefully out of shape, and prefer to talk about whether or not Han shot first, then it's not going to help if you're a doctor.

If you're otherwise a decent guy, and you're trying to meet someone, and you tell them you're a cardiologist when they ask what you do, of course it's going to help.

Oddly enough, if you can leave out the bolded part (and out of shape doesn't translate to mobidly obese), you might still be OK with the addition of the doctor card.

Members don't see this ad.

If it's your only card, then no, it doesn't work. If you're awkward, disheveled, woefully out of shape, and prefer to talk about whether or not Han shot first, then it's not going to help if you're a doctor.

Only because it's a well known fact that greedo fired the first shot.

I don't think it works if you go out to the bar with your white coat on and expect the panties to start flying at you. It doesn't hurt, though, when you are having a nice conversation with a girl and she finally asks you what to do. The fact that you are a doctor means you are relatively smart and will make decent income with great job security. Not exactly bad attributes, especially if you aren't cocky about it.

Relatively smart is obviously relative.

Exhibit A:

...one of my attendings in residency. He had his wife pregnant(a doctor), girlfriend #1 pregnant (nurse at the hospital), and girlfriend #2 pregnant with twins (another nurse at the hospital)...

Exhibit B:

...Had an attending with the same quota of pregies but no twins.
His wife left him and now he is literally working for alimony and child support.
Even locums Hospitalist on all weekends...

Reactions: 1 user
On a side note, I feel like I've followed SDN long enough to develop the sense to judge--just based on the thread title alone--when a thread has the potential to horribly derail and turn into a train wreck (e.g. the Eastern European mail-order bride/prostitute). I'm still on the fence with this one, but I feel it has potential.

there needs to be an epic story to start that turn...unfortunately I do not have any of my own right now

Well, it'll suck when you've broken up and have to see each other everyday.

Am I the only one that sees the majority of the comments made on this thread as horribly misogynistic? Not every woman wants to have your baby. Get over yourself.

Also, don't be so sure about the Han Solo conversation - as a woman, I think it would be really cute to have that conversation on a first date. Even though everybody knows he shot first.

I'd imagine it always sucks when you break up.

Hospitals are pretty big places though.

And for the record, I just wish that somehow, Greedo could have shot Jar Jar Binks.

Also, don't be so sure about the Han Solo conversation - as a woman, I think it would be really cute to have that conversation on a first date. Even though everybody knows he shot first.
You have to get a read on a woman before you start excitedly talking about your hobbies. She's into PETA and the ASPCA? Don't tell her about the time you went elk hunting in Canada and had to shoot a charging grizzly.

Some girls love Star Wars, but a larger majority probably think it's pretty geeky now...

Am I the only one that sees the majority of the comments made on this thread as horribly misogynistic? Not every woman wants to have your baby. Get over yourself....

it's only misogynistic if you are presuming that all the nurses described have to be female, and that only females can be gold diggers. There's no reason a male nurse couldn't be a gold digger and seek to trap a female resident with a baby, etc. ( in other words, if you find this misogynistic, it perhaps reflects a sexist interpretation of which gender the doctor and nurse roles necessarily are in this setting).

Give us a break, lawdoc.
Where in this thread did any of the (probably about 90% male) people commenting on this thread ever refer to any of the nurses as "he". We all know this thread is talking about male residents and interns trying to date and/or sleep with nurses, med techs, secretaries, etc. I mean, I don't really care, but that's a ridiculous argument...when does that ever happen (female resident or intern running around the hospital trying to "bag" various male hospital staff members). I mean, I don't personally really care who other people want to date as long as they don't act blatantly unprofessional at work....but you guys (male) dug your own grave on this thread...so don't get hacked off that some female doc got on here and complained about your behavior...LOL.

Give us a break, lawdoc.
Where in this thread did any of the (probably about 90% male) people commenting on this thread ever refer to any of the nurses as "he". We all know this thread is talking about male residents and interns trying to date and/or sleep with nurses, med techs, secretaries, etc. I mean, I don't really care, but that's a ridiculous argument...when does that ever happen (female resident or intern running around the hospital trying to "bag" various male hospital staff members). I mean, I don't personally really care who other people want to date as long as they don't act blatantly unprofessional at work....but you guys (male) dug your own grave on this thread...so don't get hacked off that some female doc got on here and complained about your behavior...LOL.

I agree with you about L2Ds comments, but ReligionMD is a pre-med, who appears to have little experience working in hospitals and presumably hasn't seen what it can be like. In response to her, I don't find reporting commonly observed behavior as misogynistic.

YMMV but I saw plenty of females in the hospital who either overtly or covertly made bagging one of the male residents/attendings as a goal. The SICU nurses at my residency would refer to bagging a CT fellow/attending as "the Holy Grail".

...when does that ever happen (female resident or intern running around the hospital trying to "bag" various male hospital staff members)...

At the places I've been, I have seen quite a few male support staff end up dating or hooking up with Or even marrying female physicians. After work fraternizing and alcohol can lead to strange pairings. It's speculation as to who was trying to bag whom, but I'd be surprised if a few of the male non physicians didn't find the discrepancy of career incomes an added incentive ( ie equivalent to the holy grail). So yeah, it can happen. I think every guy on here knows at least one guy who has expressed a desire to marry well and just dabble in pipe dreams (like becoming a golf pro, artist, play in a band) rather than hold down a full time long houred job.

Last edited:
it's only misogynistic if you are presuming that all the nurses described have to be female, and that only females can be gold diggers. There's no reason a male nurse couldn't be a gold digger and seek to trap a female resident with a baby, etc. ( in other words, if you find this misogynistic, it perhaps reflects a sexist interpretation of which gender the doctor and nurse roles necessarily are in this setting).

One major difference: a woman physician, once impregnated by a gold-diggah murse, has the option to abort, thus avoiding child-support payments. The same cannot be said for vice versa.

Does playing the doctor card even work? Women probably meet lawyers, Ibankers, and doctors all the time...

Not really, bankers are concentrated in New York and even there, there aren't that many, there are maybe 250,000 bankers (IB), maybe double that number if you include, AM, HF, PE and VC, maybe 100,000 consultants, 700,000 doctors and about 1,500,000 lawyers in the US. In total there are about 2.8 million people in these professions, of whom roughly half are women and many of whom are spoken for (wealthier and more educated=more likely to be married). If someone is outside of NY/LA/SF/Chicago/Boston they won't routinely be seeing these sort of people also making 300K is impressive in rural Kansas, in New York City, not nearly as much.

Not sure why everyone's so fixated on nurses...

40% of the time they are 40-60 y/o white/black/filipino/hispanic women married with kids who think you're incompetent and roll their eyes at everything you say

30% they are unattractive females

20% they are comely 20-30ish females who are dating or single but either way you have way more important things to do and are too stressed to think about flirting

5% they are guys who either have a grudge against male doctors and give you a hard time or they are funny-ass dudes who are great to work with

5% are super hot, super bitchy, and not worth the chase

My philosophy is either date the other ancillary staff or date outside of medicine. Dating residents just seems like a set-up for a bad work-place farther down the line

What kind of nurses do you work with?

The average nurse here is ~28. And plenty are single.

40% of the time they are 40-60 y/o white/black/filipino/hispanic women married with kids who think you're incompetent and roll their eyes at everything you say

20% they are comely 20-30ish females who are dating or single but either way you have way more important things to do and are too stressed to think about flirting

5% they are guys who either have a grudge against male doctors and give you a hard time or they are funny-ass dudes who are great to work with

My philosophy is either date the other ancillary staff or date outside of medicine. Dating residents just seems like a set-up for a bad work-place farther down the line

In the ED at my program:

~95% female
~80% of which are age 25-40
~50% of which are married
Of the remaining "single" (i.e. non-married) females: somehow like 33% are 8+/10 and 50%+ are 7+/10

That's A LOT of attractive, doable females

BUT..... I can't see myself ever hooking up with anyone within the department as this is just a terrible idea. The cons are fairly obvious and far outweigh the pros. Outside the department I would definitely consider hooking up with nurses/techs/whoever is hot.

I guess the lawyer in you rears its ugly head every once in a while :)

PERFECT post. Nurses at my place are all like that. Talk about fuglyville :whoa:

Right on the money!
:)

Break his own condom?
Use roofies?
Replace her BCPs with tictacs?

Planned Parenthood is still legal in most states. And is a viable option for most women.

So still not sure how a male nurse could trap a female into having a baby.

I'm sure there are a few female pro-life docs out there who can't wait until marriage, who might run into a condom saboteur.

There was a case in Canada not too long ago regarding some guy who sabotaged his condoms, impregnating his girl as a result. He was convicted of sexual assault.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2011/09/28/18752086.html

Planned Parenthood is still legal in most states. And is a viable option for most women.

So still not sure how a male nurse could trap a female into having a baby.

Not looking to start a side discussion, but as I'm quite sure you are aware, regardless of your opinion of them, there are many women in this country who because of religious/ family/ political upbringing don't consider abortion, morning after pills etc to be viable options for them personally, even if they agree with having the choice (which some don't). So many pregnant women in this country do see marriage as a better path than being a single parent, having to raise a kid alone and having to deal with the social stigma.

So he said that rape can cause a woman to become pregnant.

This is shocking why? Am I missing something?

It was poor diction, "circumstances of conception" would have been better in the point he was making, but not really inflammatory in the way Akin's comments were, regardless. Also, what does this have to do with dating nurses?

You have to get a read on a woman before you start excitedly talking about your hobbies. She's into PETA and the ASPCA? Don't tell her about the time you went elk hunting in Canada and had to shoot a charging grizzly.

Some girls love Star Wars, but a larger majority probably think it's pretty geeky now...

Why wouldn't you talk about your hunting trip? Don't you think that would come out eventually? I always think it's better to be upfront about yourself, personality, likes and dislikes, goals, etc so you find out if you're compatible instead of try to be someone you're not, you get committed with someone, and then your partner gets pissed (rightfully so) because you've pulled a bait and switch on them

Why wouldn't you talk about your hunting trip? Don't you think that would come out eventually? I always think it's better to be upfront about yourself, personality, likes and dislikes, goals, etc so you find out if you're compatible instead of try to be someone you're not, you get committed with someone, and then your partner gets pissed (rightfully so) because you've pulled a bait and switch on them

For some reason, this post reminds me of the scene from 40-year Old Virgin when Andy's friends make him put away all of his toys right before his date.

I wish I had this problem. County hospital FTL :laugh:

For some women( most in the medical field) getting pregnant means having a baby...
At least the ones I've known.
So that's how a man traps a woman as long as he has certain conviction( pro life).

lol I like these replies, some are kinda funny.
I lucked out since my wife is a nurse but i met her while we were still in school and most likely will not do residency where she works (in the future that is)

On a side note, I feel like I've followed SDN long enough to develop the sense to judge--just based on the thread title alone--when a thread has the potential to horribly derail and turn into a train wreck (e.g. the Eastern European mail-order bride/prostitute). I'm still on the fence with this one, but I feel it has potential.

Please post a link to this thread.

This is the thread you are looking for. Look for the posts by "blueclassring" starting on the second page.

Hahaha... Yes, that was a classic one.

I wonder if he was able to get to a hospital in time after waking up in a tub full of ice missing both kidneys?

It's extremely rare to meet someone who likes all the same things you do off the bat. If you have some interest that's a huge part of your life AND not common/potentially off-putting (survivalist,LARPing,certain fetishes, etc.) AND will involve the other person than be upfront. Otherwise there's no law saying you have to get every potentially objectionable thing you've ever done out on the first date.

The things you are interested in and fill your time when you're single are not a 1:1 correlation with your interests and activities when you're part of a couple. You and your significant other don't have to have extensively overlapping interests to be successful, although having common goals is extremely important.

Some guys can easily geek out too much on their fantasy football team, their Call of Duty killcams, this giant buck they were tracking, or the latest Star Trek. Take it easy on those topics. Ease into it, so you don't seem like a weirdo.

Agree on Andy putting away all of his toys....

If you can't date multiple nurses, there is something wrong with you. They are some of the most desperate women around.

The only fiscally safe birth control: anal

Reactions: 3 users