De facto MCAT prereqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoLCareerGoals

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it is typical to require 2 gen chems, 2 bios, 2 orgos and 2 physics.
After I printed AAMC topics lists though I am seeing topics in
1) Molecular biology
2) Various anatomical systems (Anatomy and Physiology?)
3) Genetics

Are there any classes beyond the basic prereqs that one needs in order to do really well on MCAT? Like 3 listed above? More? Less?

Members don't see this ad.

Other than that probably biochemistry. But if you aced preqs and read consistently Mcat should be fairly basic. It always better to have deeper understanding of any subjects because they give you insights when you answering advancing passages..

This question is asked nearly 3 times a week. Use the search function. It's there for a reason.

in the effort you took to write this response you could have just answered his question

OP: the 3 classes that might benefit you are: biochemistry, physiology (NOT A&P), and genetics.

Members don't see this ad :)
in the effort you took to write this response you could have just answered his question

OP: the 3 classes that might benefit you are: biochemistry, physiology (NOT A&P), and genetics.

I always wondered why people don't recommend anatomy. I think it has a BIT of importance. I just took an AAMC where you were required to know the anatomy of the abdominal area (not just intestines etc, but cavity stuff)

Yeah I know. I usually do but if you do then you're just encouraging this type of behavior.

I always wondered why people don't recommend anatomy. I think it has a BIT of importance. I just took an AAMC where you were required to know the anatomy of the abdominal area (not just intestines etc, but cavity stuff)

i'm not sure either.. but from a ton of researching (reading threads) on SDN the general consensus seems to be that anatomy is not really all that helpful. Also at most schools an A&P class won't go into as much depth in physiology if anatomy is co-taught