Dealing with a lot of anxiety about starting medical school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know someone who, when he realized he was not going to get straight honors for the year, broke down crying. One high pass caused that, and he's not even interested in any competitive specialties.

Part of the problem with premed and med students is that they're entire lives and self-worth is based on academics. The moment they feel they've lost this, their entire self-esteem goes to ****. One freakin' High Pass is not going to do anything, but med students are so concerned with comparing themselves that they break down at the slightest sense of imperfection. This is why med schools ask about your ability to face and triumph over adversity. This is so that you don't have students having nervous breakdowns over receiving a "High Pass" over an "Honors".

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm definitely anxious about starting medical school, but for different reasons. Though I was shocked at first given my lower than average MCAT, ultimately my school accepted ME. With all of their wisdom and experience and knowing just about everything there is to know about me, they agreed I have the potential to become a doctor. Wow. What a freaking amazing opportunity.

Still...I'm nervous, in spite of all of our preparation, about how my husband will adjust to being the primary caregiver to our daughter. I'm anxious that I'll drift apart from my friends and family outside of medical school and lose my support system. I'm worried I will lose "myself" in the process of devoting my life to medicine. I think these are valid concerns I should be prepared to address.

But, I am not worried about being the smartest person or the lowest scoring person in class. I just want to adjust as well as possible and be the best version of myself. I'm not worried about failing; very, very few people fail out of medical school and I've worked too hard to allow myself to fail now.

Just try to stay focused on the bigger picture. Get out this summer and get some perspective. Remember that we're about to be surrounded by a group of people, composed entirely of motivated and ambitious professionals. Be the person who seeks advice from the person/people outscoring you, instead of being threatened by them. You can learn SO much from the people around you if you stop comparing yourself to others' experiences.

I may be in the minority here, but given how many hoops we have to jump through (rightfully so) to get to medical school, I think medical school should be more collaborative and less cutthroat than some people make it out to be. At least that's the mentality that I'll try to foster. Notice I didn't say "less competitive". Competition is great, but nobody is out to get you, to sabotage you, or to try to make you fail. Well, maybe there are a few toxic characters running around, but you'll probably be able to spot them and steer clear. Karma will take care of them eventually. Just consistently try to be better than you were before, and your experience can only end well. And breathe. Don't forget to breathe.

Great post. Hope your transition goes well.

With respect to the last paragraph, I think it extols the virtues of a pass/fail curriculum. There is very little competition at schools that are truly pass/fail with no class rank and no numerical scores even given on exams during the preclinical years. This fosters a collaborative environment. I wish more schools were heading in that direction and got rid of this pecking-order nonsense that so many schools with traditional curricula cling to.

Reactions: 2 users
Part of the problem with premed and med students is that they're entire lives and self-worth is based on academics. The moment they feel they've lost this, their entire self-esteem goes to ****. One freakin' High Pass is not going to do anything, but med students are so concerned with comparing themselves that they break down at the slightest sense of imperfection. This is why med schools ask about your ability to face and triumph over adversity. This is so that you don't have students having nervous breakdowns over receiving a "High Pass" over an "Honors".

yeah exactly. Not being the smartest in class, or being the top 1% is depressing and most people don't know how to deal with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah exactly. Not being the smartest in class, or being the top 1% is depressing and most people don't know how to deal with it.

I agree. I can't even imagine how depressed I would be if I weren't the smartest person everywhere I went.

Reactions: 4 users
Great post. Hope your transition goes well.

With respect to the last paragraph, I think it extols the virtues of a pass/fail curriculum. There is very little competition at schools that are truly pass/fail with no class rank and no numerical scores even given on exams during the preclinical years. This fosters a collaborative environment. I wish more schools were heading in that direction and got rid of this pecking-order nonsense that so many schools with traditional curricula cling to.

Just another viewpoint to consider, having no internal ranking gives you less ability to distinguish yourself among other students. So even if you're at the top of your class, a residency program would have no way of knowing this, and thus could hurt you if you're trying to get into a competitive specialty. As far as I'm aware, the current true p/f schools are very highly regarded and are known to have some of the top applicants. So not having internal ranking may not hurt them because it is accepted that the vast majority of them were the cream of the crop coming into med school. I could see it posing a problem for students at a "less prestigious" school that are looking to go into a competitive specialty.

With all of that said, I haven't seen any competition between students even at a school with grades. There is just as much collaboration because the grades aren't based on a curve. The only competition is between you and your work ethic, because ultimately how everyone else performs doesn't affect you and your grade. Although I could see not having any ranking as being less stressful, but then you go back to the argument I made above. So there are pros and cons to both, and honestly I can't even make up my mind on which I would prefer.

The problem is in medical school and in life, you're not going to always be "the smartest" or the top 1%. The competition doesn't end even after med school ends. The key is to do your very best to the best of your ability.

Reactions: 1 users
Just another viewpoint to consider, having no internal ranking gives you less ability to distinguish yourself among other students. So even if you're at the top of your class, a residency program would have no way of knowing this, and thus could hurt you if you're trying to get into a competitive specialty. As far as I'm aware, the current true p/f schools at very highly regarded and are known to have some of the top applicants. So not having internal ranking may not hurt them because it is accepted that the vast majority of them were the cream of the crop coming into med school. I could see it posing a problem for students at a less prestigious school that are looking to go into a competitive specialty.

With all of that said, I haven't seen any competition between students even at a school with grades. There is just as much collaboration because the grades aren't based on a curve. The only competition is between you and your work ethic, because ultimately how everyone else performs doesn't affect you and your grade. Although I could see not having any ranking as being less stressful, but then you go back to the argument I made above. So there are pros and cons to both, and honestly I can't even make up my mind on which I would prefer.

Your ranking in your first 2 years is not going to mean jack squat to PDs. The best marker for your knowledge of basic science is USMLE Step 1 bc it's standardized.
The goal of the first 2 years should be to master preclinical material, not caring about how you rank in comparison to Susie.

Your ranking in your first 2 years is not going to mean jack squat to PDs. The best marker for your knowledge of basic science is USMLE Step 1 bc it's standardized.

Ranking maybe not, but what about AOA, which is largely based on rank?

Ranking maybe not, but what about AOA, which is largely based on rank?

Schools that don't internally rank in the first 2 years, use clinical grades and USMLE Step 1 score for AOA purposes.

Schools that don't internally rank in the first 2 years, use clinical grades and USMLE Step 1 score for AOA purposes.

Right, but having my entire ranking based on subjective clinical grades (and one test) seems pretty scary to me.

Just another viewpoint to consider, having no internal ranking gives you less ability to distinguish yourself among other students. So even if you're at the top of your class, a residency program would have no way of knowing this, and thus could hurt you if you're trying to get into a competitive specialty. As far as I'm aware, the current true p/f schools are very highly regarded and are known to have some of the top applicants. So not having internal ranking may not hurt them because it is accepted that the vast majority of them were the cream of the crop coming into med school. I could see it posing a problem for students at a "less prestigious" school that are looking to go into a competitive specialty.

I think the potential trade-off of having no rank outweighs the risks. The MSPE clearly states there is no rank, so it just takes that factor out of the hands of the PD viewing your application. Class rank is important at schools that have it, but it's a farther back factor than other things -- your Step 1 score, your MSPE, your letters, clinical grades, and AOA status. Places with no class rank often still have AOA, so it's the feather in the cap of the true "top of the class" while it doesn't necessarily hurt everyone else that didn't get it.

I also agree on the lack of curve grading being a good middle ground. My clinical years were graded but there were no curves so it wasn't too bad (but the subjectivity of clinical grades is ridiculous, which is another discussion for another day...and that sometimes brings out the inner gunner in some people).

Right, but having my entire ranking based on subjective clinical grades (and one test) seems pretty scary to me.

You're telling me! My school does it that way (it's all on clinical grades, doesn't even consider Step 1). One high pass and you're on thin ice. Two high passes and you're out.

Realize that clincal grades are not ONLY based on subjective evaluations.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't complain about having to study for the "grade" and not get to concentrate on studying Step 1 relevant material with a graded system, or complain of not getting a one upsmanship when it comes to rank by having a P/F system in the first 2 years, where you can fully concentrate on studying USMLE Step 1 material.

Members don't see this ad :)
Realize that clincal grades are not ONLY based on subjective evaluations.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't complain about having to study for the "grade" and not get to concentrate on studying Step 1 relevant material with a graded system, or complain of not getting a one upsmanship when it comes to rank by having a P/F system in the first 2 years, where you can fully concentrate on studying USMLE Step 1 material.

Exactly, which is why I said I don't know which I would prefer haha. And yeah, I realize that shelf scores count for about 30% of clinical grades.

I think the potential trade-off of having no rank outweighs the risks. The MSPE clearly states there is no rank, so it just takes that factor out of the hands of the PD viewing your application. Class rank is important at schools that have it, but it's a farther back factor than other things -- your Step 1 score, your MSPE, your letters, clinical grades, and AOA status. Places with no class rank often still have AOA, so it's the feather in the cap of the true "top of the class" while it doesn't necessarily hurt everyone else that didn't get it.

I also agree on the lack of curve grading being a good middle ground. My clinical years were graded but there were no curves so it wasn't too bad (but the subjectivity of clinical grades is ridiculous, which is another discussion for another day...and that sometimes brings out the inner gunner in some people).
All schools rank whether it's a specific ordinal, the segment of the class you fall in, or the specific "code word" which has a defined rubric on your MSPE.

All schools rank whether it's a specific ordinal, the segment of the class you fall in, or the specific "code word" which has a defined rubric on your MSPE.

Not all schools!

Maybe schools like Yale, Stanford, or Harvard. However, most schools have some sort of way of revealing where you stand in the class.

I don't go to any of those schools and mine doesn't internally rank or mention anything about ranking in our MSPE. An old school PD actually asked me about it in an interview this past year...so maybe there is a draw-back?

A friend of mine at another school said his MSPE had code-words and a class rank listed. It varies from place to place but I agree that most places have them.

I know someone who, when he realized he was not going to get straight honors for the year, broke down crying. One high pass caused that, and he's not even interested in any competitive specialties.
I would have to fight so hard to take that seriously. The snowflake is strong with this one.

I don't go to any of those schools and mine doesn't internally rank or mention anything about ranking in our MSPE. An old school PD actually asked me about it in an interview this past year...so maybe there is a draw-back?

A friend of mine at another school said his MSPE had code-words and a class rank listed. It varies from place to place but I agree that most places have them.
And there is no code word either about what type of house officer, you'll be: Outstanding, Excellent, Very Good, Good?

I would have to fight so hard to take that seriously. The snowflake is strong with this one.
Was going to say, I hardly doubt he wasn't going for anything competitive.

Oh, I misunderstood, I thought you meant they graded with code words despite not having "real" grades, which sounded like the silliest thing ever. Man, I got a Xylophone on my last test, **** sucked.

No, that's not what it means. It means that the Dean's letter doesn't explicitly say your class rank, but says your quartile through a code word. For example, the Dean will say that a first quartile student is "Exemplary." A fourth quartile student like me will be "Excellent" or something.

No, that's not what it means. It means that the Dean's letter doesn't explicitly say your class rank, but says your quartile through a code word. For example, the Dean will say that a first quartile student is "Exemplary." A fourth quartile student like me will be "Excellent" or something.
I really wish I was a dean at a highly ranked school. I'd have so much fun with it. I'd totally have the most ridiculous code word system ever to exist to ensure that no one could get any useful information out of it and write eloquent and exemplary recommendation letters for all my students in Comic Sans. Oh, the trolling I could do in a position of such power...

Reactions: 3 users
And there is no code word either about what type of house officer, you'll be: Outstanding, Excellent, Very Good, Good?

Pretty sure that's a nope. There is no internal ranking system so there would be no basis for distinguishing words like that. Like I said, they elect AOA based on clinical grades.

To the OP:

Most likely you will no longer be at the top of your class. While college was a melting pot of individuals with different goals, medical school is a homogeneous group of people with a single goal who endured the application process with at least the minimal level of neuroticism required to check off the boxes and get accepted. You are no longer competing against people whose goals are to work for the federal government, to major in forestry, to work in their dad's law firm, to do the minimal amount of work to get a finance job somewhere, or to be a dancer in a professional stage production. Every single one of your classmates from this point forward is trying to be a doctor, and nearly all of them have the capacity to be in top quarter of the class if they put the effort in.

I can break medical school students up into 5 groups. One majority and four minorities.
1. There are a handful of people in medical school who have no concept of balance and will study every waking moment, go to every class, read every non-mandatory reading and will score in the top 5% of every medical school exam and USMLE. These people aren't necessarily gunners, they may want to do something like pediatrics, but they are extremely focused, not because they are neurotic, but just because that's who they are -- they don't get stressed out by school, they don't worry about whether they will match, they don't compare themselves to their peers, they don't have many other interests in life -- they just calmly and cooly kill every single exam.
2. There are another handful of people who are naturally brilliant and could remember what they had for dinner every night for the past 10 years, approximate the square root of 700 in less than a second, and can skim through Robbins and retain most of it. Again, these people aren't necessarily gunners. They are just gifted.
3. The majority of the people are smart, hardworking, and will have the same exact fears as you. They will not be at the top of their class, but they won't be at the bottom either. They will study hard and score average on their exams. They will match in every type of specialty from pathology and psychiatry to dermatology and plastic surgery. They will attempt to lead balanced lives. These are probably ~80% of med students. Whether a student ends up in the 10th percentile or the 90th percentile will largely correlate with the amount of study time he puts in, but in the end it will make little difference in his career.
4. Then there is another small group of people who are gunners. Gunners are not naturally brilliant. They do not neurotically study every waking moment. They do not score at the top on every single test. Gunners are the unfortunate group of people who are focused on winning public praise and entering only highly competitive specialties to "beat" everyone else. They attempt to gain unfair advantages by cheating, using medications, sucking up to attendings/professors, publicly trying to put down other students/competition, and getting their name out there as much as possible. They may or may not be successful. They were unbearable as premeds. They are unbearable as med students, and they will be unbearable as residents and attendings.
5. The last minority are those truly deficient academically. They consistently fail exams either due to a lack of motivation or interest or due to simply a lower IQ or educational background. Somehow they got through the admissions process, and there will be a couple of these in every class. Your worry is that you are one of these people, and you almost certainly are not given your insight to at least have the worry in the first place.

The point to all this is that you will most likely fall in the 25-75% grade distribution in your class and have your pick of whatever specialty you want. The fact that you are even worried about this in the first place is evidence that you are most likely in the majority and not in one of these four minorities of student types. Work hard while maintaining balance and try to be pleasant and you will be ok.

Reactions: 5 users
This is why med schools ask about your ability to face and triumph over adversity. This is so that you don't have students having nervous breakdowns over receiving a "High Pass" over an "Honors".

During our first year, we would have in class "quizzes" on power point where there would be 2 or 3 multiple choice questions. What ended up happening was students would miss one or two, giving them a grade of 67% or 33% (i.e., an "F") and would totally flip out when the answered were revealed. Class would grind to a halt as students attempted to argue over technicalities to get questions thrown out. Emails would fly after class and eventually a question would get thrown out. In the long run, these quizzes were worth only a very small fraction of a grade in a pass/fail class, yet it literally caused people to have to leave the room and go home when the correct answers were posted on the screen.

Forest for the trees, guys. Forest for the trees.

During our first year, we would have in class "quizzes" on power point where there would be 2 or 3 multiple choice questions. What ended up happening was students would miss one or two, giving them a grade of 67% or 33% (i.e., an "F") and would totally flip out when the answered were revealed. Class would grind to a halt as students attempted to argue over technicalities to get questions thrown out. Emails would fly after class and eventually a question would get thrown out. In the long run, these quizzes were worth only a very small fraction of a grade in a pass/fail class, yet it literally caused people to have to leave the room and go home when the correct answers were posted on the screen.

Forest for the trees, guys. Forest for the trees.
If a class is a P/F class (assuming it's "true" P/F) and these quizzes are only worth a very small fraction of the grade, then these students are neurotic idiots.
It's not surprising when students see a grade as either a personal validation or personal assault on themselves.

If a class is a P/F class (assuming it's "true" P/F) and these quizzes are only worth a very small fraction of the grade, then these students are neurotic idiots.
It's not surprising when students see a grade as either a personal validation or personal assault on themselves.
When I say class ground to a halt, I wasn't exaggerating. As the lecturer would go through the answers after the answer sheets were turned in, on each revealed answer there would be commotion, somebody who got the question wrong would raise his hand and start an argument, and four or five people would approach the podium to debate further once they finished going through the answers. It was a huge problem that, but going back to my first post, the majority of students didn't cause. The majority were disappointed but quickly forgot about it and realized that it was insignificant, treated it as a learning opportunity, and moved on. The minority felt that their character had been assassinated for not earning an A+ on something and subconsciously couldn't accept that.

When I say class ground to a halt, I wasn't exaggerating. As the lecturer would go through the answers after the answer sheets were turned in, on each revealed answer there would be commotion, somebody who got the question wrong would raise his hand and start an argument, and four or five people would approach the podium to debate further once they finished going through the answers. It was a huge problem that, but going back to my first post, the majority of students didn't cause. The majority were disappointed but quickly forgot about it and realized that it was insignificant, treated it as a learning opportunity, and moved on. The minority felt that their character had been assassinated for not earning an A+ on something and subconsciously couldn't accept that.
They'll crash and burn on the wards, when attendings won't put up with their BS and will be happy to report them to their Student Affairs office for "unprofessionalism" if they pull stuff like that. Heck if that happened in MS-1/MS-2 at my school, you'd be reported for unprofessionalism then too.

They'll crash and burn on the wards, when attendings won't put up with their BS and will be happy to report them to their Student Affairs office for "unprofessionalism" if they pull stuff like that. Heck if that happened in MS-1/MS-2 at my school, you'd be reported for unprofessionalism then too.

Man I hope so.. We've had so many situations in our TBL days where an MD would say something and people in our class would literally argue like five year old little girls and resort to pulling out obscure journal articles on their phone… FOR ONE LITTLE MEASLY POINT.

Meanwhile I'm sitting with my head on the desk…. ashamed for my class. It's awful, I really wish those professors would have just went off. We're at a well known center for liver transplants and you're going to argue with a faculty hepatologist about basic liver physiology. C'MON MAN. It's pathetic.

You scored an Armadillo Positive on the test today, Ark! Congrats! Way above the Bushbaby Negative average of the rest of the class!

Man it's annoying when premeds post in allo.

Man I hope so.. We've had so many situations in our TBL days where an MD would say something and people in our class would literally argue like five year old little girls and resort to pulling out obscure journal articles on their phone… FOR ONE LITTLE MEASLY POINT.

Meanwhile I'm sitting with my head on the desk…. ashamed for my class. It's awful, I really wish those professors would have just went off. We're at a well known center for liver transplants and you're going to argue with a faculty hepatologist about basic liver physiology. C'MON MAN. It's pathetic.

Sounds like you were in my class. Yep, it was embarrassing. Later on the wards, I would hear attendings mention "our class." Students didn't realize that the people giving them the quizzes were not professional teachers, but rather physicians who took a few hours out of their busy clinic day to give a lecture and were required to format it in a specific way, including a multiple choice quiz. They spent a lot of time determining the quiz and in reality were pretty upset that students completely lost their **** over a fraction a percentage. I remember one time in M-1 year a student attempted to call out the chair of transplant surgery who was giving the lecture and quiz. He did exactly what you said -- tried to google some obscure journal article to get a fraction of a point back. He didn't understand the context, and clearly didn't understand how ridiculous it was for him to raise his hand in front of 200 people to try and tell one of the most prominent figures in the field he was wrong. The surgeon basically threw his hands up and was like "whatever buddy" and went on a brief tangent about how ridiculous the curriculum was to allow something like that to happen.

The transition between high school thinking and grown up thinking happens somewhere between M3 and PGY1. This kid was still stuck in 10th grade. OP, if you can somehow manage to understand why what this kid did was wrong you will be WAY, WAY ahead of the game.

Hey OP,

I'm feeling a similar kind of anxiety. I'm quite worried that I'll be behind everyone else, that I'll be incapable of keeping up with the workload, etc. That is also how I felt when I started undergrad. I went from a small high school, where I was definitely the big fish in a small pond, to a large, very competitive university. I was surrounded by big fish, many of whom were a great deal bigger than I was. At 18, the way I dealt with that was by lowering my standards for myself, and belatedly seeking the help of both the school's psychological and tutoring services. My plan for dealing with that in July will be to establish a relationship with the psychological services immediately, in order to preempt the stress and anxiety I know that I will be facing.

I've seen a lot of folks in this thread telling you that you need to lose your drive to compete. I don't know that that is helpful or even practical advice. I think that that drive could motivate you to push yourself, to spend the extra hour studying, to always go the extra mile. It could also, if not properly controlled, cause you undue and unhelpful anxiety. It's going to be a balancing act, but I think that balance is within reach. I hope so, for both our sakes.

Take care of yourself, and let me know if you come up with good solutions to these problems.

I guess I will be the odd man in my class since I am not the most competitive individual. I just want to be average or bit above average.

You won't be. I'm not a competitive person at all by a longshot, I simply wanted to do well to get a good education and not kill patients, with zero regard to how I did compared to others(in other words, If I was the worst person in the class, I didn't care as long as MY GOALS were met). Then again, I assumed by default I was the worst student, due to me feeling like a dumb **** all throughout school haha.

Regardless, as long as you work hard and aim to learn as much as you can, you'll be fine in your career goals :D

those people are truly irritating to work with. People who need a good slapping to the face. One measly point, something I would just ignore, roll my eyes, and move on.

Everyday, I look into the mirror and remind myself that I am a shining (and good looking) example of how being your non-AOA self can still get you what you want. And by, that I mean subspecialty surgery residency. And tons of pu.. uh nvm.

To the OP:

Most likely you will no longer be at the top of your class. While college was a melting pot of individuals with different goals, medical school is a homogeneous group of people with a single goal who endured the application process with at least the minimal level of neuroticism required to check off the boxes and get accepted. You are no longer competing against people whose goals are to work for the federal government, to major in forestry, to work in their dad's law firm, to do the minimal amount of work to get a finance job somewhere, or to be a dancer in a professional stage production. Every single one of your classmates from this point forward is trying to be a doctor, and nearly all of them have the capacity to be in top quarter of the class if they put the effort in.

I can break medical school students up into 5 groups. One majority and four minorities.
1. There are a handful of people in medical school who have no concept of balance and will study every waking moment, go to every class, read every non-mandatory reading and will score in the top 5% of every medical school exam and USMLE. These people aren't necessarily gunners, they may want to do something like pediatrics, but they are extremely focused, not because they are neurotic, but just because that's who they are -- they don't get stressed out by school, they don't worry about whether they will match, they don't compare themselves to their peers, they don't have many other interests in life -- they just calmly and cooly kill every single exam.
2. There are another handful of people who are naturally brilliant and could remember what they had for dinner every night for the past 10 years, approximate the square root of 700 in less than a second, and can skim through Robbins and retain most of it. Again, these people aren't necessarily gunners. They are just gifted.
3. The majority of the people are smart, hardworking, and will have the same exact fears as you. They will not be at the top of their class, but they won't be at the bottom either. They will study hard and score average on their exams. They will match in every type of specialty from pathology and psychiatry to dermatology and plastic surgery. They will attempt to lead balanced lives. These are probably ~80% of med students. Whether a student ends up in the 10th percentile or the 90th percentile will largely correlate with the amount of study time he puts in, but in the end it will make little difference in his career.
4. Then there is another small group of people who are gunners. Gunners are not naturally brilliant. They do not neurotically study every waking moment. They do not score at the top on every single test. Gunners are the unfortunate group of people who are focused on winning public praise and entering only highly competitive specialties to "beat" everyone else. They attempt to gain unfair advantages by cheating, using medications, sucking up to attendings/professors, publicly trying to put down other students/competition, and getting their name out there as much as possible. They may or may not be successful. They were unbearable as premeds. They are unbearable as med students, and they will be unbearable as residents and attendings.
5. The last minority are those truly deficient academically. They consistently fail exams either due to a lack of motivation or interest or due to simply a lower IQ or educational background. Somehow they got through the admissions process, and there will be a couple of these in every class. Your worry is that you are one of these people, and you almost certainly are not given your insight to at least have the worry in the first place.

The point to all this is that you will most likely fall in the 25-75% grade distribution in your class and have your pick of whatever specialty you want. The fact that you are even worried about this in the first place is evidence that you are most likely in the majority and not in one of these four minorities of student types. Work hard while maintaining balance and try to be pleasant and you will be ok.

Hey OP,

I'm feeling a similar kind of anxiety. I'm quite worried that I'll be behind everyone else, that I'll be incapable of keeping up with the workload, etc. That is also how I felt when I started undergrad. I went from a small high school, where I was definitely the big fish in a small pond, to a large, very competitive university. I was surrounded by big fish, many of whom were a great deal bigger than I was. At 18, the way I dealt with that was by lowering my standards for myself, and belatedly seeking the help of both the school's psychological and tutoring services. My plan for dealing with that in July will be to establish a relationship with the psychological services immediately, in order to preempt the stress and anxiety I know that I will be facing.

I've seen a lot of folks in this thread telling you that you need to lose your drive to compete. I don't know that that is helpful or even practical advice. I think that that drive could motivate you to push yourself, to spend the extra hour studying, to always go the extra mile. It could also, if not properly controlled, cause you undue and unhelpful anxiety. It's going to be a balancing act, but I think that balance is within reach. I hope so, for both our sakes.

Take care of yourself, and let me know if you come up with good solutions to these problems.

i have advice for both of you, quit being little vaginas and have more confidence in your abilities (no offense intended). Look at that eagle on my avatar, look how confident he is. Be like the Eagle.

i have advice for both of you, quit being little vaginas and have more confidence in your abilities (no offense intended). Look at that eagle on my avatar, look how confident he is. Be like the Eagle.

Merica' … his priapism is too long for his own good. ;)

I'm constantly in this dynamic equilibrium of hoping time will stand still and I could just chill in this time period forever but then I also cannot wait to get started...I am not naive about what I'm getting into, I've done my homework. I'm nervous as hell and I'm sure I'll go the all of the motions of stress and panic. To the OP, just don't worry about rank. Learn to love the subjects and try to understand them, be hardworking and eat relatively healthy, and everything will be ok.

I'm constantly in this dynamic equilibrium of hoping time will stand still and I could just chill in this time period forever but then I also cannot wait to get started...I am not naive about what I'm getting into, I've done my homework. I'm nervous as hell and I'm sure I'll go the all of the motions of stress and panic. To the OP, just don't worry about rank. Learn to love the subjects and try to understand them, be hardworking and eat relatively healthy, and everything will be ok.

You're naive if you think you're not naive.

You're naive if you think you're not naive.
I'm not naive enough not to know a lot of what I'm getting into. I know I'm an extremely green incoming student. Don't worry, I don't pretend to know what it feels like yet... I just have a notion of the way things are because of SDN.

463-934x.jpg

Instead of focusing on how hard or difficult med school is going to be, focus on how your going to study, what's going to motivate you, and something other than medicine you want to have as a hobby. For instance motivation can come from anywhere, wether it be a person, movie, or picture. I had a picture of this in my room in medschool. I think that this picture and it's story sums up pretty much every aspect of medicine and why I wanted to be a doctor. Don't waste time worrying, use the time to make a plan.

Last edited:
I'm not naive enough not to know a lot of what I'm getting into. I know I'm an extremely green incoming student. Don't worry, I don't pretend to know what it feels like yet... I just have a notion of the way things are because of SDN.

Well, just don't forget that SDN is not representative of the real world. Only a handful of the people in your class will perform how 99% of SDN says they perform.

Well, just don't forget that SDN is not representative of the real world. Only a handful of the people in your class will perform how 99% of SDN says they perform.
True, but I mainly mean like I know what steps will happen... 1st-4th and on in intern/ residency... The basics.