Dealing with Outside Problems?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PersevereLyn

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I’m currently a junior working towards getting into veterinary school, but this semester has really been a nightmare for me. I’ll start off by saying that I am determined to get into veterinary school, so I would like all of the “you need to try harder” or “do you really want it” comments to be kept to a minimum.

I’m currently finishing up an 18 hour semester in which I took A&P II, Principles of Biochemistry, Microbiology, Forage Production And Utilization, and Principles of Agribusiness. I’ve had so many problems from outside sources over the course of the semester that I’ve realized too late that my GPA and chances for veterinary school are at stake, which is crushing me internally. I’m looking at 1 A, 3 Bs, and hopefully a C in Biochemistry (The 50s are supposedly becoming the Cs in this course people are doing so poorly).

My grandmother almost lost her eyesight and had to have surgery in which I am the only person who can drive 3 hours away to take care of her on an almost every other day basis, and my mother committed felony theft at the beginning of the semester and has been slowly deteriorating mentally as time went on to the point that she is hysterical and suicidal now; this, also needing my attention. I’ve also been extremely ill this semester and don’t have medical insurance to get medical attention, so I have been hindered by that as well.

With all of this going on, I just don’t know what to do at this point. Will a C or D completely ruin my chances? Are there opportunities to explain why I did poorly this particular semester? I have been going through my mind of alternative career routes, but what’s terrifying is that there is nothing I believe would suit me more than veterinary medicine.

Thanks for reading all of that. I’m just shaking thinking that I’m about to go take this biochemistry examination.

Members don't see this ad.

A single C or D will not ruin your chances (but if you get a D in a pre-req, you will need to retake the course). I got in my first application cycle with a C in Organic Chemistry II. There is an optional explanation statement, which may be helpful in your case. Try to explain your situation clearly and concisely, without seeming like you're throwing yourself a pity party. It is also helpful to be able to show an improvement, so that you can demonstrate that you overcame the situation. I would focus on finding whatever help you need so that you can refocus on classes in the coming semesters. One bad semester will not ruin you, but if you continue on a downward trend, that certainly will. Evaluate your current situation and where you think you will be when classes start again. If you need to take some time off to address your situation, that would be better than continuing to do poorly in classes.

Evaluate your current situation and where you think you will be when classes start again.

I know this sounds harsh, but my mom will be in prison when the next semester starts back up, so I won’t have that emotional weight draining everything out of me. I think that is what has really caused me to have such an awful semester since I’ve ended up having to be her crutch ever since everything came up. I paid her bail, which put me in financial distress right at midterms, which put me in the hole to start with.

Luckily, I’m generally a fairly good student and I get into my more major specific classes next semester, so I have no doubts that I can achieve 4.0s until my application is submitted. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
There will be a section on your application allowing you to explain anything that you would like to about the things on your application/transcript.

There will be a section on your application allowing you to explain anything that you would like to about the things on your application/transcript.
^^^you shouldn’t just use this to give excuses for poor grades though, and should say what you learned from that situation and how you’re going to prevent it from happening again in the future

Reactions: 1 users
^^^you shouldn’t just use this to give excuses for poor grades though, and should say what you learned from that situation and how you’re going to prevent it from happening again in the future

Absolutely!

Even if you *didn't* explain it, you'd probably be fine. Schools understand that not all students will ace all classes.

Organic chem and I were not friends and I still got into vet school on my first attempt. Both were C's

Hey everyone!

I’m currently a junior working towards getting into veterinary school, but this semester has really been a nightmare for me. I’ll start off by saying that I am determined to get into veterinary school, so I would like all of the “you need to try harder” or “do you really want it” comments to be kept to a minimum.

I’m currently finishing up an 18 hour semester in which I took A&P II, Principles of Biochemistry, Microbiology, Forage Production And Utilization, and Principles of Agribusiness. I’ve had so many problems from outside sources over the course of the semester that I’ve realized too late that my GPA and chances for veterinary school are at stake, which is crushing me internally. I’m looking at 1 A, 3 Bs, and hopefully a C in Biochemistry (The 50s are supposedly becoming the Cs in this course people are doing so poorly).

My grandmother almost lost her eyesight and had to have surgery in which I am the only person who can drive 3 hours away to take care of her on an almost every other day basis, and my mother committed felony theft at the beginning of the semester and has been slowly deteriorating mentally as time went on to the point that she is hysterical and suicidal now; this, also needing my attention. I’ve also been extremely ill this semester and don’t have medical insurance to get medical attention, so I have been hindered by that as well.

With all of this going on, I just don’t know what to do at this point. Will a C or D completely ruin my chances? Are there opportunities to explain why I did poorly this particular semester? I have been going through my mind of alternative career routes, but what’s terrifying is that there is nothing I believe would suit me more than veterinary medicine.

Thanks for reading all of that. I’m just shaking thinking that I’m about to go take this biochemistry examination.

I agree with the above comments that Cs here and there will not totally derail your vet school aspirations.

However...will you have to continue to commute long distances to care for your grandmother for the foreseeable future? Is your illness something chronic that will continue to make you feel poorly? Will you be able to get medical insurance or a way to get medical attention if needed? What is your plan for dealing with these problems for the immediate future (your last semesters/pre-reqs)? And what if you do get into vet school - what is your plan for dealing with these things if you have to move out of state, etc? Just food for thought.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone!

I'm pretty sure I got in with 3-4 C's. You will have to repeat the course if you get a D, as no school accepts less than a C- afaik (some might have a C or C+ as a minimum, you have to check with every school you apply to). If this would be your first C, I wouldn't sweat this much (and tbh probably wouldn't even write about it in the explanation statement, but that's just me) assuming the rest of your app is competitive (other semesters, experience, LORs, essays).

Echoing what TRH said, assume you will get in on your first try and have a plan ready for all of the obstacles you deal with. Who will take care of grandma if you have to move even farther/would (should) grandma move with you? Will mom being in prison actually be a relief if she is struggling this severely? (I only bring this up because a friend of mine has a sibling in prison and it's been more of a stressor despite them also thinking otherwise). You don't need to give me answers to these questions, I would just think about it and have a plan of action when it comes to dealing with this stuff while in veterinary school.

As for medical insurance, most (all?) schools have some sort of insurance that a student can opt into and cover with loans (or out of pocket if you wanted). It tends to be a bit more affordable than trying to get coverage on your own in my experience. Is this an option for you? Paying for insurance with loans isn't my definition of fun, but it comes in handy. I don't know about specific policies but I have a laundry list of pre-existing conditions and have had absolutely no issue seeing any doctor I've needed.

Reactions: 1 user