Dealing with Retail Job Offers while Applying for Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John Detter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if I could get some input from people who have worked for retail pharmacies and how you handled the awkward situation where the company offers you a job during your P4 year BUT you wanted to do a residency instead.

Here's the sticky situation I'm in:

I'm a P4 who has worked for CVS for about 8 years. I decided after my P2 year to pursue a pharmacy residency and kept the CVS intern job mainly because it paid well and I could basically set my own hours. However, they are now making job offers to their interns who will be graduating in 2015, and I'm pretty much on the table for a position.

I'm not sure if I'll match to a residency program in the spring, and therefore I want to keep CVS onboard as a safety net. As much as I would prefer to not work for CVS, they do offer good benefits and a decent salary from what I hear. Also, having so many years of service under my belt gets me extra vacation time off the bat (that I could use to try and find another position elsewhere).

But the problem is they would want a commitment soon...and the match is in March. I've heard that some people signed the CVS contract then backed out (supposedly its non-binding?), but I just wanted input from anyone else in a similar position.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
People sign on and back out all the time, if they really cared you they would pay you a sign on bonus which you have to pay back with interest if you backed out.

Members don't see this ad :)
So nothing is considered binding if you accept a retail position?

Nothing is considered binding... However accepting the offer, doing a residency, then trying to come back if you don't get a job in whatever career path you want that requires a residency might leave a bad taste in some people's mouths. Yes the company probably doesn't care that much but if you pull one on a DM and then try and come back to the same DM you have to deal with that relationship.

Nothing is considered binding... However accepting the offer, doing a residency, then trying to come back if you don't get a job in whatever career path you want that requires a residency might leave a bad taste in some people's mouths. Yes the company probably doesn't care that much but if you pull one on a DM and then try and come back to the same DM you have to deal with that relationship.

Take the job and leave if you get a residency. This topic has been brought up over and over again and most people dish out the same advice. You won't be the first or the last to do this. I did and I know a bunch of other people who did it.

I work for Target and I told them up front that I need to apply to residency because the pharmacy world is changing (yup, I did that). They postponed my second interview until after Match. They were very understanding. I'm all for being upfront with companies because I don't want this weighing on me while I go through residency apps.

I work for Target and I told them up front that I need to apply to residency because the pharmacy world is changing (yup, I did that). They postponed my second interview until after Match. They were very understanding. I'm all for being upfront with companies because I don't want this weighing on me while I go through residency apps.

This is ballsy and not something I would do in today's market. You wouldn't tell a residency they are your #2 choice, why would a job be any different?

Back on topic- most of the CVS offers I have seen say something along the lines of: "this offer is for at will employment such that you or the Company may terminate your employment relationship at any time and for any reason."

If you offer states this, legally you lose nothing other than your job. In reality the worst you could do is piss off your manager such that they won't consider rehiring you down the road. I doubt there is a company policy on this and rather it varies per manager/district though.

Reactions: 1 user
HI, I am just wondering what your choice was? Did you accept the offer and apply for the residency at the same time? It's the season that a lot of people having the same issue...

I ended up taking the CVS offer. Like others mentioned, the CVS offer letter specifically mentioned that either party could terminate the agreement at any time. However, with CVS I wouldn't be as upfront as the Target person above. My Pharmacy Supervisor made it clear that anyone who was going for residency would be terminated.

After I matched, I called my Pharmacy Supervisor a week later to put in my resignation.

I ended up taking the CVS offer. Like others mentioned, the CVS offer letter specifically mentioned that either party could terminate the agreement at any time. However, with CVS I wouldn't be as upfront as the Target person above. My Pharmacy Supervisor made it clear that anyone who was going for residency would be terminated.

After I matched, I called my Pharmacy Supervisor a week later to put in my resignation.

another trick is to continue with the company after the Match results, collect grad intern pay and possibly a week of pharmacist pay... then quit near the residency start date. $$$

another trick is to continue with the company after the Match results, collect grad intern pay and possibly a week of pharmacist pay... then quit near the residency start date. $$$

It wasn't worth it for me. They started getting really pushy about finishing certain modules/tasks, and I was focused on studying for boards + doing all the other stuff that occurs around graduation. I was only working once a month at that point so there wouldn't have been a huge difference in intern pay. Also there was no chance that I would get my license before residency because my BOP works as fast as a turtle on Xanax.