Dear Nurses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caligas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes I am aware that the patient, in whom I placed an LMA 8 seconds ago, is moving their legs a little. While it may be a hardship for you, please continue the chloroprep. I assure you that when we make incision in 25 minutes the movement will have resloved.

Sincerely.
Anesthesia

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 12 users
They are too busy with the "Show me your stethoscope" movement to worry themselves with hospital wide headaches that they cause.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They are too busy with the "Show me your stethoscope" movement to worry themselves with hospital wide headaches that they cause.
While many people strongly support nurses and huge companies like Johnson & Johnson will even go as far as pulling their ads from The View because The View supposedly criticized all nurses when they criticized Miss Colorado, who will support doctors when nurses criticize doctors (e.g. the AANA criticizing anesthesiologists)?

Last edited:
Yes I am aware that the patient, in whom I placed an LMA 8 seconds ago, is moving their legs a little. While it may be a hardship for you, please continue the chloroprep. I assure you that when we make incision in 25 minutes the movement will have resloved.

Sincerely.
Anesthesia

You mean "anesthesia! Your patient is waking up!"

Ugh... STFU, nobody is waking up...

Reactions: 1 user
This stupid joy behar thing is the best thing that could have happened to CRNAs. They are coming out everywhere saying how great they are and how valuable they are in response to that idiots comment.

While many people strongly support nurses and huge companies like Johnson & Johnson will even go as far as pulling their ads from The View because The View supposedly criticized all nurses when they criticized Miss Colorado, who will support doctors when nurses criticize doctors (e.g. the AANA criticizing anesthesiologists)?
I was getting my car's annual safety sticker inspection thing updated a few weeks ago, and that horrid show was on TV in the waiting room.

Later I heard they lost a couple sponsors for making insensitive comments on their show. Cue Nelson's HA-HA tag line. :)

But it turns out that what they did was fail to be impressed by a nurse's inane, scrub-costumed, stethoscope wearing, nonsense monologue in a beauty pageant.

How to explain? Did those TV airheads actually get something right?

Blind squirrels finding a nut?

Broken clocks that happen to be right just this moment?

Even turkeys fly in a hurricane.

I'm going with the squirrel thing.

Reactions: 2 users
This is a screen shot I took from a comments section of an article about this. The hospitals should just fire all the the docs, the nurses have got this covered. I'm terrible at serving popsicles, so I can see how my role in patient care could definitely easily be replaced by a nurse.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    354.1 KB · Views: 375
This paragraph has been shared by a few friends on my Facebook:

"The Bachelors of Science Nursing (BSN) degree has been chosen as the toughest degree among all the college degrees by the Guinness Book of World Records on 18 MAY 2011. It has 64 university exams + 130 series exams + 174 assignments within 4 years (max 1000 working days ). All BS nurses post this on your wall for at least 2 hours and be proud to be a BSN degree holder."

I haven't taken the time to look into it, but I'm assuming the people at Guinness have NOT actually rated the bsn degree as more difficult than astrophysics, math, physical chemistry, or basically any other science/math degree. In fact, my guess is that even many liberal arts degrees are very challenging, way beyond the challenge that a bsn presents.
The fact that people are posting this nonsense and BELIEVING it is a reflection in itself on the level of intelligence of some of the people getting the degree. Of course these are my Facebook friends and I would be a complete a$@hole to leave a comment like this on their posts.

You could simply post a link to

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/trivia/toughest.asp

and slowly back away.

An odd coincidence in my life is that people stopped chain email fwd'ing me obviously fabricated **** like this about the time I decided my only reply would be a snopes link.

Reactions: 4 users
The hardest part in medicine is dealing with all the human stupidity, much of it belonging to coworkers.

Reactions: 5 users
I suspect many nurses (e.g many CRNAs) have an inferiority complex. Otherwise there'd be no need to constantly remind people how awesome they are, how they're equal to doctors, to take such huge offense at someone (maybe even innocently because they honestly don't know) asking why a nurse is wearing a "doctor's stethoscope," etc.

Imagine someone is a painter. Imagine they mostly paint houses for a living. But then imagine this person goes around telling everyone that he (or she) is not a painter but an artist. Indeed, an artiste! That they're equal to artists. That they'd rate themselves as good as any other artist if not better. If someone for example innocently asks them why they're using this or that type of paintbrush, they suddenly get extremely angry and upset and say stuff like, "As painters, we work just as hard as any other artist! We put in just as many hours as any artist! We have just as much talent as any artist!" Etc. I don't doubt many house painters are also very good at art, but why can't they just be content that they're painting houses, have a solid and stable job, and are probably making more than many artists make? Why the chip on their shoulder?

Reactions: 5 users
Only people who don't like their jobs need to be told frequently how awesome they are (at it), or need pompous titles and other forms of constant reassurance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Nobody. And there is a simple reason for that: the general population identifies with nurses, not with doctors, who are seen as part of the 1%-ers (although we are not). It's part of a basic human (read stupid) motivation engine called envy. It's an us vs them mentality, class warfare.

We consider ourselves civilized, but we still think in black and white, like "barbarians" do. Just look at all the Internet mobs when somebody disagrees with the prevalent groupthink. Nurses should feel ashamed for all the noise they have made about The View. Same goes for J&J and all the opportunistic spineless companies, always careful not to piss against the wind. Nobody should be proud for being part of a mob. We should all learn to agree to disagree without crushing dissent.

Reactions: 3 users
This paragraph has been shared by a few friends on my Facebook:

"The Bachelors of Science Nursing (BSN) degree has been chosen as the toughest degree among all the college degrees by the Guinness Book of World Records on 18 MAY 2011. It has 64 university exams + 130 series exams + 174 assignments within 4 years (max 1000 working days ). All BS nurses post this on your wall for at least 2 hours and be proud to be a BSN degree holder."

I haven't taken the time to look into it, but I'm assuming the people at Guinness have NOT actually rated the bsn degree as more difficult than astrophysics, math, physical chemistry, or basically any other science/math degree. In fact, my guess is that even many liberal arts degrees are very challenging, way beyond the challenge that a bsn presents.
The fact that people are posting this nonsense and BELIEVING it is a reflection in itself on the level of intelligence of some of the people getting the degree. Of course these are my Facebook friends and I would be a complete a$@hole to leave a comment like this on their posts.

lmao nursing is one of the easiest, rivaled by communications and english. an associates degree in nursing is probably more difficult than a bsn. actual difficult majors are physics, engineering, applied mathematics

lmao nursing is one of the easiest, rivaled by communications and english. an associates degree in nursing is probably more difficult than a bsn. actual difficult majors are physics, engineering, applied mathematics
That's because the latter ones actually require the student to be truly intelligent, not just hardworking.

I would argue that STEM is harder (IQ-wise) than medicine nowadays. Just try reading some quantum mechanics. Healthcare would be still in its dark ages without all the technology developed by the STEM grads.

That's because the latter ones actually require the student to be truly intelligent, not just hardworking.

I would argue that STEM is harder (IQ-wise) than medicine nowadays. Just try reading some quantum mechanics. Healthcare would be still in its dark ages without all the technology developed by the STEM grads.

I have done some quantum mechanics. I've spent hours solving relatively simple equations before

Was doing a robot prostate today. Had an erroneous BP measurement shortly before induction. So I recycled. The nurse had her hand placed on cuff for whatever reason, almost leaning on it. I kindly asked her to remove it. Got attitude. Ignored.

Before she got her chloraprep, she snidely asks "Am I allowed to touch the patient now, doctor?"

I ignored it again. It was early. Didn't want to deal with it. I said- "Sorry, I am a purist. Did not mean anything by it. Just wanted to make sure I had an accurate reading".

Eventually, she asks "Are you going to wear a mask at anytime today, doctor?!?!?!"

All of a sudden for me, the hinges blew off. It wasn't pretty. For her or for me.

Ahhh, I feel better.

I said- "Sorry, I am a purist. Did not mean anything by it. Just wanted to make sure I had an accurate reading".

The fact that you said this tells me that you are a complete invertebrate.

Reactions: 2 users
All of a sudden for me, the hinges blew off. It wasn't pretty. For her or for me.
The hinges eh? Tell us what you said that wasnt pretty.. Did it get violent? Did you walk across the room in her face and tell her who is boss?

Actually agree with consigliere for the first time ever. How bad is your place that nurses talk to you like that? Are you new there?

I always give people the benefit of the doubt. A lot of times people are intentionally rude as a joke, and I think I always assume that's the case until I can see that someone's clearly an a&$hole. If it's for real, I might start out with "if you're being serious, that's gonna be a problem." They'll know there'll be two sides to the battle.

In the OR, unfortunately the surgeon is the only one who gets respect no matter how shi$&y or socially clueless they are. The anesthesiologist is part of the furniture until they make their presence known. I don't mean by picking fights or being obnoxious, I mean by being part of the conversation. Just like in high school; if you're quiet and meek you get picked on. If you can make people laugh and you know how to socialize, no one will treat you like prey. That's not to say I always take part in whatever BS they're talking about, but if I feel like getting involved I do. If you can't/won't, the dullards with attitudes will find you.

Actually agree with consigliere for the first time ever. How bad is your place that nurses talk to you like that? Are you new there?

It's not a general thing. Just this one in particular.

Not brand new. Relatively new.

The hinges eh? Tell us what you said that wasnt pretty.. Did it get violent? Did you walk across the room in her face and tell her who is boss?

Not pertinent to the point. Sorry, bud. You'll have to try to sleep tonight without getting all of the deets.

Going off track a little bit, but who are the only people who hate NPs and CRNAs more than physicians? The answer is RNs.

I was just sitting by a patient's room on a computer a few days ago, when a group of male and female RNs just started ripping into midlevels, all the while giving wholehearted support to physicians.

"Midlevels? Pfft. Give me the DOCTOR."
"NPs are totally useless... most of them are anyways"

It's hilarious that once midlevels get their "advanced practice degree," they think they're no longer a nurse.

Not pertinent to the point. Sorry, bud. You'll have to try to sleep tonight without getting all of the deets.

The fact that you truncated "details" in such an asinine manner makes me realize that in addition to being a complete invertebrate, you're also borderline ******ed. No wonder the nurses treat you like a doormat.

The fact that you truncated "details" in such an asinine manner makes me realize that in addition to being a complete invertebrate, you're also borderline ******ed. No wonder the nurses treat you like a doormat.

Bad day?

You're right. True vertebrates hurl insults from behind their keyboard. Sign of a true badass.

Reactions: 10 users
This is a screen shot I took from a comments section of an article about this. The hospitals should just fire all the the docs, the nurses have got this covered. I'm terrible at serving popsicles, so I can see how my role in patient care could definitely easily be replaced by a nurse.
I do find it funny how some nurses have this constant need for reassurance regarding their value in patient care. I do my job because I love it and I don't complain about what I do as a result. I might grumble about the amount of work I put in, but I'm happy with the things I do day in and out around the hospital. I don't need any sort of outside encouragement to make me feel good about my job.

I think many people may have the wrong idea about the whole view thing. I dont perceive it as being "pro-nurse" but more "pro-healthcare". I think the offense was taken to these particular women (who really do nothing but blab on TV to other people also doing nothing at home) demeaning nurses who do indeed have a very important job. Nurses are on the front lines helping people, and along with that comes stress and personal sacrifice for the job and the people they take care of, like anyone in health care, regardless of the MD vs RN thing. Any RN gets my respect for having a meaningful, purpose-driven job compared to most people these days who are either, unemployed, working in retail/starbucks, working in finance/corporation, or some other inane field where the only purpose of their job is to get money without regard to humanity. RN work is good, hard work and should be respected. I dont think anyone with such a meaningless job should pick on any health care worker, and not supporting this effort or mocking it just brings physicians down to a lower level.

Yes yes yes, nurses do an important job and good ones are good. Hooray.

I just wish they and their meticulously cultivated horde of hero-worshippers would quit reminding me of the massive cross they bear and how their work is a vital part of keeping the earth spinning on its axis.

They're kind of like Crossfit nuts doing those weird swingy kippy "pull ups" they do ... lots of genuine effort, lots of pride, dubious utility, unappreciated risk, and god help you if you don't buy into their "I'm on toppa-da-world" smugness.

Reactions: 13 users
True. I guess it could be worse. I could be Sam Bradford and the hurled insults could be 9V batteries.
The internet offers the pipsqueaks of the world a chance to play alpha male. I guess it's probably cathartic. Kudos to you for not having a need to pretend flex.

True. I guess it could be worse. I could be Sam Bradford and the hurled insults could be 9V batteries.

Or even worse yet, a Redskins fan such as myself. The good news is that we're so bad in pretty much every facet, there's almost nothing you could say that would make me feel worse about being a fan.

I do find it funny how some nurses have this constant need for reassurance regarding their value in patient care. I do my job because I love it and I don't complain about what I do as a result. I might grumble about the amount of work I put in, but I'm happy with the things I do day in and out around the hospital. I don't need any sort of outside encouragement to make me feel good about my job.

It's not entirely a nurse thing. It's a gender thing too. Women in general need all kinds of reassurance about everything. Hell, Facebook is one big reassurance party.

I'm not sure I would say many fields are "harder" then medicine, different fields are just difficult in different ways. Many branches of mathematics and physics to me are very conceptually difficult. I could handle the work load easily, but intuitive understanding of the concepts was lacking. Likewise, I could spend hours banging my head against a wall trying to write a decent sonnet or piece of music. Many others simply drown in the quantity of information required to earn an MD degree (or even BS in biology, chemistry, etc.). To me, med school was easy conceptually, it was just the volume of information to deal with that was difficult.

I'm not sure I would say many fields are "harder" then medicine, different fields are just difficult in different ways. Many branches of mathematics and physics to me are very conceptually difficult. I could handle the work load easily, but intuitive understanding of the concepts was lacking. Likewise, I could spend hours banging my head against a wall trying to write a decent sonnet or piece of music. Many others simply drown in the quantity of information required to earn an MD degree (or even BS in biology, chemistry, etc.). To me, med school was easy conceptually, it was just the volume of information to deal with that was difficult.
I agree with this assessment. However, I have to add that there are far fewer people out there capable of understanding and maneuvering through conceptually difficult studies like higher level physics and mathematics than there are people studious enough to learn large quantities of simple concepts. To put it in different terms, of all the smart people I've met in undergrad who went on to pursue higher degrees in engineering, math, or physics, almost all of them would have done well (or at least ok) in medical school. Out of all my med school classmates, only a small handful had the raw IQ to be successful in a hard science.

I think the majority of the people in this country don't possess the work ethic and perserverance to make it through med school and residency. If I had a dollar for every time I heard a nurse griping about staying 5 minutes after their scheduled shift end....that includes CRNAs. It's just a mindset difference that I've noticed.

I think many people may have the wrong idea about the whole view thing. I dont perceive it as being "pro-nurse" but more "pro-healthcare". I think the offense was taken to these particular women (who really do nothing but blab on TV to other people also doing nothing at home) demeaning nurses who do indeed have a very important job. Nurses are on the front lines helping people, and along with that comes stress and personal sacrifice for the job and the people they take care of, like anyone in health care, regardless of the MD vs RN thing. Any RN gets my respect for having a meaningful, purpose-driven job compared to most people these days who are either, unemployed, working in retail/starbucks, working in finance/corporation, or some other inane field where the only purpose of their job is to get money without regard to humanity. RN work is good, hard work and should be respected. I dont think anyone with such a meaningless job should pick on any health care worker, and not supporting this effort or mocking it just brings physicians down to a lower level.

Seriously. Thank you for this. Nurses can be too touchy and so can some docs. Sometimes it's the stress of the moment, other times its bad habits that are reinforced in the name of venting. I don't hang out at all nurses.com that much--extremely rare--but honestly in general, I have not found the degree of hate noted sometimes here at SDN--especially w/o a bunch of fair-minded RNs coming back to tell the nurse winers not to generalize about physicians and such. It would be a good thing to watch what we perpetuate; but if hate-vent will really make things better, whatever. :rolleyes:

:whoa:

Seriously. Thank you for this. Nurses can be too touchy and so can some docs. Sometimes it's the stress of the moment, other times its bad habits that are reinforced in the name of venting. I don't hang out at all nurses.com that much--extremely rare--but honestly in general, I have not found the degree of hate noted sometimes here at SDN--especially w/o a bunch of fair-minded RNs coming back to tell the nurse winers not to generalize about physicians and such. It would be a good thing to watch what we perpetuate; but if hate-vent will really make things better, whatever. :rolleyes:

:whoa:
It's not hate. It's the annoyance when the logical underling is obsessed about being treated as an equal. I can do 80% of what my nurses do on a daily basis, and learn the rest in a month, but the opposite is very far from the truth. Yet they insist on treating me like their quasi equal, especially the younger brainwashed generations. Some people just can't learn their place in the world, derived from their intellectual limitations and level of training. We are equals when we chat casually; we are anything but when caring for patients.

I know my limits and expect others to do the same. Only the stupid argue with superior intelligence and/or knowledge.

What they do is important, but one can train a monkey to do it. Before having nurses, we all had mothers. This continuous chest-thumping from the nursing profession is just tiring, especially when their expensive bureaucrats are the ones who are relentlessly destroying American medicine, in the name of "quality", "patient satisfaction" and other demagogue euphemisms.

It's not hate. It's the annoyance when the logical underling is obsessed about being treated as an equal. I can do 80% of what a nurse does, and learn the rest in a month, but the opposite is very far from the truth. Yet they insist on treating me like their quasi equal, especially the younger brainwashed generations. Some people just can't learn their place in the world, derived from their intellectual limitations. We are equal when we chat casually; we are anything but when caring for patients.

I know my limits and expect others to do the same. Only the stupid argue with superior intelligence and/or knowledge.

Certainly increased level of knowledge, scope of practice, and responsibility must be considered. Intelligence, OTOH, is a much different matter. You might be surprised by the level of intelligence that some with different levels of knowledge/education, scope of practice, and accountability have.

I don't know which nurses are stirring this pot of agitation; but I can honestly say, for the most part, it does not come from those with whom I work. I fully respect the higher level of accountability. Being part of a mentality of denigration only increases the unnecessary tensions. A collaborative demeanor is more productive than an oppositional one. Obviously that has to go both ways. Titles only mean so much to me except for where the level of responsibility, accountability, and leadership is clear and appropriate. Beyond that, it is the person as an individual that ultimately has the most impact upon relations IMHO.

Certainly increased level of knowledge, scope of practice, and responsibility must be considered. Intelligence, OTOH, is a much different matter. You might be surprised by the level of intelligence that some with different levels of knowledge/education, scope of practice, and accountability have.

I don't know which nurses are stirring this pot of agitation; but I can honestly say, for the most part, it does not come from those with whom I work. I fully respect the higher level of accountability. Being part of a mentality of denigration only increases the unnecessary tensions. A collaborative demeanor is more productive than an oppositional one. Obviously that has to go both ways. Titles only mean so much to me except for where the level of responsibility, accountability, and leadership is clear and appropriate. Beyond that, it is the person as an individual that ultimately has the most impact upon relations IMHO.
You should read the law. As long as the buck stops with me, we cannot even begin to compare levels of accountability and responsibility. When as many nurses as doctors will be dragged into court, we can begin talking about equality. When they will be able to do what I do on a daily basis, we can talk about equality.

In the meanwhile, dear healthcare "team" member, either help me take care of the patient, or just stay out of my way, please, while I run circles around you. I don't care that if I work fast I will get more work, I care that my patient gets the best care immediately, especially in fields like critical care. Take your shortsightedness and bureaucracy elsewhere, while I put the patient first. If I can do my paperwork and other non-clinical stuff only after my patient is tucked in, so can you. And it's not "your" pump, or "your" ventilator, it's the patient's, and whoever gets it adjusted the fastest should do it. Also, it's my patient, not ours, not until you are exposed to the same levels of malpractice risks and get to personally bill the patient.

Leadership is a big pompous excuse invented by lazy or arrogant people who put themselves ahead of the patient. Anesthesia and other urgent care fields are not places to flash one's male or female testosterone, or mimosa sensitivities. The leader is automatically the person who knows the most, and s/he shouldn't have to waste time with pleasantries to get the team to do their darn jobs.

I completely subscribe to the notion that one catches more flies with honey, but honey should come after discipline and competence, not as a given. We might all be fighting against the same diseased enemy, but let's not mix up who's in command during battle. "My dear nurse soldier, would you be so kind to shoot at that bug now, instead of after your break? Oh, thank you, you're the best!" There is a reason they are called "orders", not "proposals", in the EMR.

Reactions: 6 users
Speaking of stupid women. How about stupid women doctors that dress up like nurses and then act all bitchy when people think they are nurses. Pretty sure im not a sexist pig for thinking you are a nurse when you wear form fitting pastel scrubs. Not that there is anything wrong with those scrubs, but doctors dont typically wear that stuff....