Debating what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littlefoot03

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am in a tough dilemma and I am debating whether or not it's too late to try to go to med school. I graduated with my bachelors of science in health in december 2015 at UTSA. I recently got accepted to graduate program of health & kinesiology for summer 2016 at UTSA as well. I've taken a few pre-med classes, Biology I, Chem I, and the labs.. But I never finished. I wanted to know what are the steps I can take in order to finish my pre-reqs? There are only 2 post baccalaureate programs in texas, should I just go back to college as a non-degree seeking student? Or can I take extra classes during my graduate degree to finish my pre-reqs? Are there any other options? I am looking to see what I could do..
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am in a tough dilemma and I am debating whether or not it's too late to try to go to med school. I graduated with my bachelors of science in health in december 2015 at UTSA. I recently got accepted to graduate program of health & kinesiology for summer 2016 at UTSA as well. I've taken a few pre-med classes, Biology I, Chem I, and the labs.. But I never finished. I wanted to know what are the steps I can take in order to finish my pre-reqs? There are only 2 post baccalaureate programs in texas, should I just go back to college as a non-degree seeking student? Or can I take extra classes during my graduate degree to finish my pre-reqs? Are there any other options? I am looking to see what I could do..
Thanks!
It isnt too late. People in my medical school class matriculated as late as age 35 with the average age being 27

You hit the nail on the head with these choices. You could CC the extra pre-reqs while attending graduate school or do them at UTSA. Although tackling graduate school and extra pre-reqs can be challenging.

what are the post bacc you were looking at

I vote for taking the prereqs at a 4 year college though not via a formal post-bacc. It might be more expensive than a community college but it'll also probably be more challenging and cover more material, which will prepare you much better for the MCAT. Plus, not all med schools accept community college credits - I don't know about the Texas schools so if that's where you'd like to end up, definitely check on their policies.

Wherever you end up, make sure that if there's a pre health committee, that you know their requirements early on for a committee letter from them. Also, see if you can get on their email blasts to undergrad premeds.