DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine Part 4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorMom78

Sky Glory
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The other thread was getting really long. Every time I tried to open it, my computer would go REALLY slow. The thread before that was just dug up out of oblivion, so I thought I would start a new one. So, everyone post here.:D

Sunny...where are you? I was waiting for you to start a new thread and you never did.:laugh:

Anyway, questions about attendance policy, etc. can be answered here:

http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/pdfs/lmudcom_handbook.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

Eyecon82:

Good luck! I am glad you loved the school.:) :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
geeez i am getting lost which thread it which LOL
i guess the other is kinda long so i will repost what i just wrote here:
I love this school. Dr.Leo is so nice. I just emailed them with couple of questions and got reply so fast. I only can imagine how nice he must be in person from that eimal. :D
I guess that DCOM is moving with a speed of light to the tops of my "want to attend" schools. And they also accept interfolio :cool:
:love: :love: :love:

The other thread was getting really long. Every time I tried to open it, my computer would go REALLY slow. The thread before that was just dug up out of oblivion, so I thought I would start a new one. So, everyone post here.:D

Sunny...where are you? I was waiting for you to start a new thread and you never did.:laugh:

Anyway, questions about attendance policy, etc. can be answered here:

http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/pdfs/lmudcom_handbook.pdf

yup attendance is mandatory...but with a faculty like that i think one would have to be dumb not to go to class

This has to be the most active school thread I've ever seen on SDN. Our fourth thread? That's great. Dr. Leo is awesome, as is the rest of the staff. I'm excited about the school and the education it'll provide.

hey guys..just wanted to post in the new thread! I heard LMU is on spring break this week...is that true? how long did LMU take to respond back after the interview? thanks

hey dr.kicia

where in chicago are you from? I'm from IL as well

*Sunny happy to see DCOM on its 4th thread*

It's a sunny day on Lake Michigan. :laugh:

Sunny, I've been meaning to tell you that I absolutely love your weiner dog picture. I still laugh everytime I see you post! :D :thumbup:

hey dr.kicia

where in chicago are you from? I'm from IL as well

i am originally acctually from Poland, but i live in northwest subburbs.
Love Chicago, though as i said elier DCOM senery reminds me of the mountains in Poland i am from so i wouldn't mind spending 4 years of my life there:D

Members don't see this ad :)
*Sunny happy to see DCOM on its 4th thread*

It's a sunny day on Lake Michigan. :laugh:

oh yes it is.
Ok i am leaving to take my physics exam now. You guys keep your fingers crossed for me please:D ...as always, even though prepared, i am :scared: :scared: :scared: as hell.

Love Chicago, though as i said elier DCOM senery reminds me of the mountains in Poland i am from so i wouldn't mind spending 4 years of my life there:D

Oh cool...I'm from the NW suburbs too...Schaumburg to be exact......how about you? yea..the scenery down in the cumberland gap is amazing...i have always loved mountains.

i have lived in chicago my whole life...born here....raised here...and still live here..i need to get away!!

Hi DCOMers,
Any idea of the dress code for the first two years??

thxs

Oh cool...I'm from the NW suburbs too...Schaumburg to be exact......how about you? yea..the scenery down in the cumberland gap is amazing...i have always loved mountains.

i have lived in chicago my whole life...born here....raised here...and still live here..i need to get away!!

LOL...i live on border of Niles and Chicago and i have just arrived to Harper. Have physics exam in 20 minutes.
I guess me writing this NOW says how far my SDN addiction have proceeded:laugh:
I se8riously hope that i will get in to DCOM next cycle because i think all the coolest ppl will be there:laugh: :love:
But seriously i think that the scenery and rural setting def. will work to the advantage of studying and staying focused.
:luck: :luck: :luck: though you are accepted already u just don't know it yet:D

LOL...i live on border of Niles and Chicago and i have just arrived to Harper. Have physics exam in 20 minutes.
I guess me writing this NOW says how far my SDN addiction have proceeded:laugh:
I se8riously hope that i will get in to DCOM next cycle because i think all the coolest ppl will be there:laugh: :love:
But seriously i think that the scenery and rural setting def. will work to the advantage of studying and staying focused.
:luck: :luck: :luck: though you are accepted already u just don't know it yet:D

Oh awesome...Harper is literally 5 mins away from my house. The rural setting will definetly be an advantage. There will be no temptations to head to the city for a night out with friends.

I wish was accepted already.....from all the schools I've interviewed at, DCOM brought forth the most welcoming atmosphere and that is hard to find. Goodluck on your physics exam!

Hi DCOMers,
Any idea of the dress code for the first two years??

thxs

We can where jeans :thumbup: but not any with holes in them or that are cutoff. No t-shirts, but golf/polo short sleeves are OK, no restictions I am aware of regarding sweatshirts or hoodies. Gym shoes are cool too. Obvisously, on days with patient interaction, guys must wear shirt, tie, slacks and women wear business clothes, skirt, slacks, blouse, etc.

That was funny. He didn't like your kissing sounds too much though :smuggrin:

geeez i am getting lost which thread it which LOL
i guess the other is kinda long so i will repost what i just wrote here:
I love this school. Dr.Leo is so nice. I just emailed them with couple of questions and got reply so fast. I only can imagine how nice he must be in person from that eimal. :D
I guess that DCOM is moving with a speed of light to the tops of my "want to attend" schools. And they also accept interfolio :cool:
:love: :love: :love:

I hear what you say. The more I learn about DCOM, the more I like it (as does my wife). As much as I love CCOM, the decision to go there if taken off the waitlist is not as automatic as it once was. Everything about DCOM from the school to the area is becoming more and more attractive to both my wife and me. If CCOM ever does say yes, it will be a very difficult decision. I know many people on SDN would criticize me for even the notion of picking DCOM over CCOM, but there are so many things that go into that decision. Plus, many of those people have never seen DCOM or met the profs or admin and don't realize the HUGE potential of DCOM. Plus, CCOM doesn't hold a candle to DCOM in terms of technology, which for me is a big difference. But DCOM has no reputation - yet - while CCOM has over 100 years of producing docs and many are specializing now. So, who knows. We'll cross that bridge when it comes. But as for now, I will be at DCOM and am very proud of that. I truly love what the school has to offer.

I don't think Pete the Pony is quite as friendly as all of the other people on SDN! :laugh: :D

I hear what you say. The more I learn about DCOM, the more I like it (as does my wife). As much as I love CCOM, the decision to go there if taken off the waitlist is not as automatic as it once was. Everything about DCOM from the school to the area is becoming more and more attractive to both my wife and me. If CCOM ever does say yes, it will be a very difficult decision. I know many people on SDN would criticize me for even the notion of picking DCOM over CCOM, but there are so many things that go into that decision. Plus, many of those people have never seen DCOM or met the profs or admin and don't realize the HUGE potential of DCOM. Plus, CCOM doesn't hold a candle to DCOM in terms of technology, which for me is a big difference. But DCOM has no reputation - yet - while CCOM has over 100 years of producing docs and many are specializing now. So, who knows. We'll cross that bridge when it comes. But as for now, I will be at DCOM and am very proud of that. I truly love what the school has to offer.

Dont worry i turned down schools like nycom to go to dcom..like you mentioned a lot of people have no clue how good this school really is? It's ok in a few years the world will notice...

LOL! That is not me in the video. That is the Pete's current owner. Supposedly he really loves kids, but we will see. She was trying to make him run for the video so that you could see that he was sound. He is being delivered to me on June 1st or 2nd, so I will have him when I have the BBQ. Maybe I can give the kids pony rides for the party then! I will have to see how much work I can get done with him before then.:D

Dont worry i turned down schools like nycom to go to dcom..like you mentioned a lot of people have no clue how good this school really is? It's ok in a few years the world will notice...

Yea, I know what you all mean. I knew from the day I interviewed that DCOM was where I belonged. I did interview at NYCOM, but withdrew after my interview. I just couldn't imagine being near NYC. I was accepted at PCSOM, but they didn't even begin to compare to DCOM. I actually withdrew most of my applications after my DCOM acceptance. I just knew all along that DCOM is where I belonged. I really hope to stay in the area after I graduate and do my residency at UT. It is such a great place to live and I know that the people in the rural areas there can use the medical care I will be able to provide.

You are right. Everyone will see in a few years just how great it is. And just think...we all get to be part of the first class....history in the making!:love: :thumbup:

Hey, my uncle graduated from and teaches part-time at CCOM as a clinical professor. However, CCOM's campus and atmosphere is horrible. I live in Chicago and didn't even bother filling out an application from CCOM. CCOM is in the suburbs of Chicago and it is no fun at all! I did some research there with a biochem professor and from my experience, their faculty is low-tier.
From talking with students on campus, no one goes to class because CCOM gives away notes prior to the start of the semester and these are the same notes that the professors teach off, so there is no point in going to class since the prof will just read off the packets which you already have or the lecture is just a brief powerpoint covering the main points in our packets. The professors at CCOM are not too great either since Chicago's 6 other medical schools have already secured the most notable professors.

The atmosphere just didn't feel right at CCOM...however, when i went to DCOM..i felt right at home...even though my home was 10 hours away....i think that's the most important quality of a school....the rest is on us (studying)

Hey, my uncle graduated from and teaches part-time at CCOM as a clinical professor. However, CCOM's campus and atmosphere is horrible. I live in Chicago and didn't even bother filling out an application from CCOM. CCOM is in the suburbs of Chicago and it is no fun at all! I did some research there with a biochem professor and from my experience, their faculty is low-tier.
From talking with students on campus, no one goes to class because CCOM gives away notes prior to the start of the semester and these are the same notes that the professors teach off, so there is no point in going to class since the prof will just read off the packets which you already have or the lecture is just a brief powerpoint covering the main points in our packets. The professors at CCOM are not too great either since Chicago's 6 other medical schools have already secured the most notable professors.

The atmosphere just didn't feel right at CCOM...however, when i went to DCOM..i felt right at home...even though my home was 10 hours away....i think that's the most important quality of a school....the rest is on us (studying)

yeaaa, it's that vibe i got as well..like i had to pick DCOM to secure my future. Although i dont want to speak against any medical school out there but i sure will brag about DCOM coz i see adept professors and a class management. More than anything DCOM comes off passionate, i wanna be driven to my goal not dragged along, i know dcom will be on my butt to get me to where i wanna go..well not saying iam not motivated or lazy lol but it's good to have an infrastructure built for success.

I totally agree and i think the same way.
To be honest, i think i would probobly choose DCOM and i know ppl would say i am crazy. Just because i always was a little rebelious:laugh:
I think that technology is very important for learning to be a doctor in today's world and while it would totally suck to be away from my bf who will not be able to move out of Chicago (for now) i think that the setting and school, faculty and technology would benefit me and give me the opportunity to be the best doctor i could be.
I see a huuuuge potential in this school and i think it will very quickly rise to be one of the best. It's so awsome that you guys are the first ones. I envy that:)
Plus having all these awsome ppl and ponny rides and barbeques with doctormom...that alone should make DCOM a top choice:laugh: :love:

Dont know about any of you, but every once in a while, my mouth starts to water thinking bout Docmom's BBQ......Cant wait to have MJB show us how REAL BBQ is supposed to taste like......atleast better than the pretend bbq here in Utah.

I totally agree and i think the same way.
To be honest, i think i would probobly choose DCOM and i know ppl would say i am crazy. Just because i always was a little rebelious:laugh:
I think that technology is very important for learning to be a doctor in today's world and while it would totally suck to be away from my bf who will not be able to move out of Chicago (for now) i think that the setting and school, faculty and technology would benefit me and give me the opportunity to be the best doctor i could be.
I see a huuuuge potential in this school and i think it will very quickly rise to be one of the best. It's so awsome that you guys are the first ones. I envy that:)
Plus having all these awsome ppl and ponny rides and barbeques with doctormom...that alone should make DCOM a top choice:laugh: :love:

Are these ponies on steriods? :D Surely only the little kids will be doing the pony rides.

I am a DCOM lover too! :love:
After going to the open house in December, I knew how great DCOM was going to be. The professor are great, the scenery is beautiful, and it just felt like home.

Dont know about any of you, but every once in a while, my mouth starts to water thinking bout Docmom's BBQ......Cant wait to have MJB show us how REAL BBQ is supposed to taste like......atleast better than the pretend bbq here in Utah.

If anyone is driving through Memphis to get to DCOM and can't wait for Doctor Mom's BBQ I recommend eating at Rendezvous. It's across the street from the Peabody Hotel. The meat is cooked perfectly and the sauce is just
right - not too sweet and not too spicy. :thumbup:

Well, me and Pete and Fred and Dozer and the kids and husband and whatever other animals I get between now and then are really looking forward to the BBQ and meeting everyone!!!:love: I just hope someone else is doing most of the cooking cause I am not too good at that.:rolleyes:

Yes, I am afraid that only the kids can ride Pete. He is just a little Shetland pony, but I am in the process of trying to adopt an ex-PMU mare. I was going to buy a horse, but then I decided that I would try to adopt one who needed a home instead. Most of the rescue horses are only green broke at best, so it will be a while before anyone wants to get on one of them.

I am looking forward to four wonderful years with all of you and lots of BBQs!:thumbup: :love: Dr. Kicia, you are welcome to stop by anytime!

Well, me and Pete and Fred and Dozer and the kids and husband and whatever other animals I get between now and then are really looking forward to the BBQ and meeting everyone!!!:love: I just hope someone else is doing most of the cooking cause I am not too good at that.:rolleyes:

Yes, I am afraid that only the kids can ride Pete. He is just a little Shetland pony, but I am in the process of trying to adopt an ex-PMU mare. I was going to buy a horse, but then I decided that I would try to adopt one who needed a home instead. Most of the rescue horses are only green broke at best, so it will be a while before anyone wants to get on one of them.

I am looking forward to four wonderful years with all of you and lots of BBQs!:thumbup: :love: Dr. Kicia, you are welcome to stop by anytime!
OMG!!! your avatar:love: :love: :love:
getting hotter evey day:D

dr.kicia

Zakopane is one of the nicer places in poland I visited after I married my 50% polish wife...:love::love::love::love: Her family is in lublin and from their we visited the mountains.

As a side note!
I really hope to find some good single-track mountain bike trails. Nothing more fun than working hard up a mountain road and than flying down a single-track trail.

T

OMG!!! your avatar:love: :love: :love:
getting hotter evey day:D

Maybe I should change mine to a beach VB pic:cool:

(VB=volleyball aka the greatest sport ever)

I'm feeling the pressure on this BBQ thing. :) My uncle did 160lbs. of pork butt on our cooker for his daughter's wedding last weekend...turned out great.

Since we're getting booted out of the house on Sunday for an Open House, I'm going to go to the in-laws and practice BBQ recipes and treat them to a nice meal i guess..

This whole house selling/moving thing is the worst part of all this...I can't wait to move!

SO, we can't wear scrubs to lectures, etc....but CAN wear nice jeans, collared shirts, etc..

What about running shoes with those jeans? Or, will it have to be casual shoes? I'm covered either way, I found a good sale last night and stocked up on shoes, of all things! :)

As for the golf thing, I hope to get to play, but haven't been able to in the last couple years, so I have no idea what makes me think I'll do so down there. :)

Have to see how things go, as I love walking a course...

I'm feeling the pressure on this BBQ thing. :)

Since we're getting booted out of the house on Sunday for an Open House, I'm going to go to the in-laws and practice BBQ recipes and treat them to a nice meal i guess..

This whole house selling/moving thing is the worst part of all this...I can't wait to move!

SO, we can't wear scrubs to lectures, etc....but CAN wear nice jeans, collared shirts, etc..

What about running shoes with those jeans? Or, will it have to be casual shoes? I'm covered either way, I found a good sale last night and stocked up on shoes, of all things! :)

LOL! You better feel the pressure about that BBQ! We are all looking forward to it!:D

Yea, this moving thing is awful! I don't know if I will ever get everything packed.

I had talked to Dr. Leo before and he told me that sneakers were okay, just no open-toed shoes.

I'm feeling the pressure on this BBQ thing. :) My uncle did 160lbs. of pork butt on our cooker for his daughter's wedding last weekend...turned out great.

*Sunny wondering if MJB has a dry rub secret*:cool:

I hope we can wear scrubs to lecture...

*Sunny wondering if MJB has a dry rub secret*:cool:

Yes, for BBQ. :)

Many, in fact.

Need to work on the brisket, but I've gotten to where I really like what I can pull off in terms of pulled pork....but will never brag on it because everyone has their own preferences...

There are a couple different recipes...Eastern Carolina, etc...but that's not my favorite.

dr.kicia

Zakopane is one of the nicer places in poland I visited after I married my 50% polish wife...:love::love::love::love: Her family is in lublin and from their we visited the mountains.

As a side note!
I really hope to find some good single-track mountain bike trails. Nothing more fun than working hard up a mountain road and than flying down a single-track trail.

T
2286050-Polish_and_Ukrainian_mountains-Bieszczady.jpg

aren't Polish girls just the best ;):love: i am from Bieszczady, the smaller mountains more to the south east of Poland (about 200 km from zakopane going east), and the DCOM campus looks so much like home. I am in for the bike rides (i used to be a spinning instructor, 20 classes a week so i miss biking).
I just had a talk with my bf last night and he said that i should go there, because it will be better atmosphere for me to study and a high tech school and all that. And that he can just drive to visit me on weekends:D
I have such an awsome and supportive bf.

Hey guys..I just wanted to ask why you guys think technology is so important in medical education? When it comes down to 'hitting the books,' we are usually left with pen notes and a textbook....how do you guys think technology will change this?

Dr. Lenz was talking about using tablet PC's to edit notes on powerpoint while in class....what makes this superior to having print outs and writing notes with pen?

Also, I believe recording lectures and making them digital will be a plus...however, only to an extent. We will be in class for approx 8 hours a day...would we really have time to go through another 8 hrs of lecture in one day to rewatch? Maybe if you didn't quite grasp a topic and need to rewatch that certain segment...that is certainly plausible.

Thanks for the input guys

Hey guys..I just wanted to ask why you guys think technology is so important in medical education? When it comes down to 'hitting the books,' we are usually left with pen notes and a textbook....how do you guys think technology will change this?

Dr. Lenz was talking about using tablet PC's to edit notes on powerpoint while in class....what makes this superior to having print outs and writing notes with pen?

Also, I believe recording lectures and making them digital will be a plus...however, only to an extent. We will be in class for approx 8 hours a day...would we really have time to go through another 8 hrs of lecture in one day to rewatch? Maybe if you didn't quite grasp a topic and need to rewatch that certain segment...that is certainly plausible.

Thanks for the input guys
i think that technology is as important for the learning process as it is later for you job. Medicine gets so advanced nowadays that being around that stuff for 4 years will deffinetly make your life easier as a doctor.
And when it comes to learning i think it also helps. Digital lectures are great especially if you are a visual learner (which i totally am). And i hate taking notes. I have horrible hand writing so being able to add some stuff to the pp in class is just awsome.

i think that technology is as important for the learning process as it is later for you job. Medicine gets so advanced nowadays that being around that stuff for 4 years will deffinetly make your life easier as a doctor.
And when it comes to learning i think it also helps. Digital lectures are great especially if you are a visual learner (which i totally am). And i hate taking notes. I have horrible hand writing so being able to add some stuff to the pp in class is just awsome.

Technology is definetly important and will be a huge part of our lives while we practice medicine or while we are in clinical settings. However, I don't think technology will benefit us as much during our pre-clinical/basic sciences years. It's still nice to know that it is available to those who need it.

I hope anatomy will take full advantage of the technology dcom has to offer. Anatomy is probably the most visually challenging science course we will take. 3D models would be extremely helpful (virtual disection).

I also excited about the manicans (i hope i spelled it correctly). I also hope we get a Harvey since our stethoscope will probably be our most important and relied upon tool.

Since we are the first students in this school, I believe we will have a strong voice and that DCOM will take all of our considerations seriously.

I'm really looking forward to the ability to take notes right on the slides...I often times will make random notes and forget what I was thinking when I wrote it. If I can go back through a lecture and be looking at the slides at the same time, I will likely be able to pick up on that.

The "technology" I'm thinking will be most usefull will be the simulated patients exam rooms with all the up to date electronics.

I'm a sucker for "new"...and for cool gadgets. :)

I use a Gateway tablet right now, and it is fantastic! There is a program called "One Note" by Microsoft, with allows typing or handwritten notes. It also can convert handwritten notes into type. You can also highlight, use pens and markers. Plus, you can circle something in powerpoint or Blackboard and drag only what you circled to your notes. The whole program is arranged like a subject notebook -you can add sections and subsections to it. Plus it has a calander and assignment section.

I hope the one we get is smaller than mine though. My Gateway is lite but it is pretty big ~15 in. It would be nice for the anatomy slides, but a smaller one would be nicer to carry around.:thumbup: :thumbup: