Debusk College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorMom78

Sky Glory
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone was applying to DCOM and/or if anyone has had an interview there? I am going for an interview on the 6th and I wanted to find out more information about the school. It is actually one of my top choices because of the location. I have family not far from there and I want to practice family medicine in the Appalachian region. My only concern is with it being a new school. Any info or opinions would be great! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied already and turned in my secondary. No word yet for me tho. They are probably waiting for my newer scores from August I guess. How did they contact you? I have called a few times and they are so nice!!! They seem very helpful and really get your questions answered quickly. Good luck, this is also one of my top choices. I kind of like the idea of being in a new school. It could be crazy tho if they havent gotten all of the kinks out of their program. I hope I get an interview soon!!!!

They called me. I added them to my AACOMAS application on the Sept 16, it was mailed on the 17th (Sunday). I called them on the Monday and asked if I could send them my supplemental ahead of my primary because I had downloaded it from their site and it was already done. They told me to fax it. Then on Wednesday, (I assume when they got my AACOMAS application), they called me for an interview.
THEY ARE REALLY NICE! I think the idea of a new school is really great too! I am sure they will call you. I don't know about your August scores, so you might want to check on that. I will let you know how the interview goes and what info I find out. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I think being part of the first graduating class of a school would be exciting. Frustrating, at times--I'm sure, but exciting.

One thing is certain. Even though the school will be new, the students will probably get a strong anatomy education. DeBusk was able to lure away one of UNECOM's anatomy professors who had many, many years at UNECOM. I think DeBusk will benefit from his experience--our loss, your gain.

I can't comment on the other faculty they'll line up--but, at least for anatomy, you'll be golden.

As an aside, I'm curious about where they plan to offer clinical rotations for years 3 & 4. I know exactly where LMU is and there's not too much around. Throw in the fact that Pikeville (PCSOM) is nearby in KY and Johnson City (Quillen at East Tenn State) is nearby in TN and I can't imagine too many availabe places for trainings.

Regards,
~Boston

I attended the open house on Sept. 23rd it was really helpful. Its definately my top choice because I want to work in the Appalachian region after graduation and because of the location of the school. I got to see the layout of the school, which btw looks really really good. The building is on schedule. Also, it seems like students will gain a lot of clinical exposure in the 1st and 2nd year, which is always good. I've heard from past students that Dr. Leo and Dr. Kiick are both really good professors. They had a list of 3rd and 4th year hospitals during the open house. Even though they are a new school they are really really organized and are considerate about the students needs. If you have any other questions just PM me.

LMU had stated earlier this year that St. Mary's Medical Center in Knoxville Tennessee would be used. Since it is a 500 bed facility and just over an hour away, I imagine they had intended to make extensive use of it.

Is this still the plan?

here's a list.

3rd year: Methodist medical center, Parkwest Medical Center, Fort Sanders regional Medical Center, Peninsula Hospital-Psychiatric Hospital, St. Mary's Medical Center, Univ. of TN Medical Center, East TN Children's Hospital, Morristown-Hamblen Celeveland Community Hospital (pending), Getway Health system (pending), Baptist Regional Medical Center (pending)

4th year: Appalachian Regional Healthcare, Athens Regional Medical Center, Claiborne County Hospital, Ft. Loudon Medical Center, Fort Sanders Sevier Medical Center, Hancock County Hospital, Henry Co. Hospital, Jamestown Regional Medical Center, Pineville Community Hospital, St. Mary's Medical Center of Campbell Co., St. Mary's Medical Jefferson Memorial hospital, St. Mary's North, Grandview Medical Center (pending), Scott Co. Hospital (pending), Takoma Adventist Hospital (pending)

3rd year rotations are very impressive.

By use of the local community hospitals for 4th year students, is the school trying to place graduates in regional hospitals?

Would anyone be willing to post the link to their secondary.

Thanks Anitay,

Looks like some impressive clinical sites, a good mix of large and small community hospitals.

Anybody know how close this school is to Decatur or Athens?

Here's the link to the secondary. I MapQuested it and it looks like it is 2 1/2 hours to both Athens and Decatur.
http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/pdfs/supplemental_application.pdf

In terms of the 4th year community hospitals, I think that they are trying to place people locally in the Appalachian region. If you look at their website, they talk a little bit about that. It is perfect for me because that's what I want to do.I haven't been down to Harrogate before, but I have spent a lot of time in Virginia not far from there. It is really rural and there are lots of mountains, so it takes twice as long to get somewhere as you would think that it would. The population of Harrogate is like 4400 people or something and it is the largest city in the entire county. It is beautiful down there and the people are wonderful, but it is really rural. My kind of place!

Thank you all for all the information! Very helpful!

For the secondary it says to write two "short" essays. What did you guys cosider short essays? ~2000 words?

Members don't see this ad :)
Each essay on my supplemental to DCOM was about 2800 characters including spaces. That's about 500 words each. I don't think that the quantity is what counts; It's the quality of what you say.

Sorry, I MapQuested the Decatur and Athens located in Tennessee, which was 2 1/2 hours. I checked and it is about 5 hours if you want to got to Decatur and Athens in Georgia.

Sorry - I meant the ones in TN. Thanks for checking & letting me know. It didn't occur to me to try mapquest. :oops:

got an interview invite! im giong to check out nashville while im down there.

got a call today

I got a call Monday saying they wanted to schedule me for an interview, I called back today and scheduled it for Tuesday Oct. 10th. Anybody else interviewing this day??? The Holiday Inn Express is all booked up already, and I have heard bad things about the Best Western...so not quite sure what I am going to do about lodging. If someone already has a room at the Holiday Inn and wants to split the cost PM me. Thanks.

Anyone have an interview on Oct.13?

Marcia

I have an interview with DCOM on October 20. I just scheduled it today. They seem really nice! I can't decide to drive or fly. I live in Tulsa, so it's about a 12 hour drive but the airport is about 50 miles away from Harrogate, so I guess I'd rent a car. Aaaahhhh.

I have an interview with DCOM on October 20. I just scheduled it today. They seem really nice! I can't decide to drive or fly. I live in Tulsa, so it's about a 12 hour drive but the airport is about 50 miles away from Harrogate, so I guess I'd rent a car. Aaaahhhh.

I decided to drive, it is 11 hours for me, but it is a great time of year for being in the mountains, so a drive will be great. I had the choice of the 20th or the 13th. I have 3 exams the week after the 20th so I decided for the 13th.
Good Luck! Hopefully there will be someone who can give us a heads up on the interview questions before our dates come up.

Marcia

I got a call Monday saying they wanted to schedule me for an interview, I called back today and scheduled it for Tuesday Oct. 10th. Anybody else interviewing this day??? The Holiday Inn Express is all booked up already, and I have heard bad things about the Best Western...so not quite sure what I am going to do about lodging. If someone already has a room at the Holiday Inn and wants to split the cost PM me. Thanks.

I am staying at the Best Western tomorrow. I don't know why the Holiday Inn is booked. I tried it first too. My interview is Friday. I will let you know on Sunday when I get back if the Best Western was really that bad.

Hey guys, I have an interview at DeBusk on Oct. 10 and am staying at the holiday inn. We should carpool to the interview. Also, if anyone has had their interview, how did it go?

Everything is booked on the 12th..I had to go all the way to Corbin (1 hour away) to find something available. Grrr! oh well, just part of the process. The leaves will be beautiful, which is why everything is full..LOL

Marcia

for the people who got interviews, could you guys kindly post ur MCAT score so I would know If I should apply or not with my score. Thanks a million

for the people who got interviews, could you guys kindly post ur MCAT score so I would know If I should apply or not with my score. Thanks a million

Apply...I am sure that mine is quite low compared to anyone here and I am interviewing next week.

Marcia

Everything is booked on the 12th..I had to go all the way to Corbin (1 hour away) to find something available. Grrr! oh well, just part of the process. The leaves will be beautiful, which is why everything is full..LOL

Marcia

it was not until my 4th attempt that I was able to make a reservation at the Holiday Inn Express. the guy on the phone said that they had a bunch of rooms on hold (for what I'm not sure), and some of them cancelled. so it may be worth your while to try again.

Hey guys, I have an interview at DeBusk on Oct. 10 and am staying at the holiday inn. We should carpool to the interview. Also, if anyone has had their interview, how did it go?

i can give people a ride there but then i need to book it to the airport b/c my flight is at 3:40pm. it was the cheapest flight time i could get but know im kinda pushing it. for the people interviewing this fri, we all would appreciate any feedback u can give.

i can give people a ride there but then i need to book it to the airport b/c my flight is at 3:40pm. it was the cheapest flight time i could get but know im kinda pushing it. for the people interviewing this fri, we all would appreciate any feedback u can give.

If we could ride there together that would be great. My parents are coming with me so they can pick me up when the interview is done. It says in the travel email for other interviewees to meet in the Holiday Inn lobby at 6:30. If you can do that, then we should.

i interviewed today and it was really relaxed. the place is gorgeous! i stayed at the cumberland gap inn and it was nice and the town of cumberland gap is cute and about 2 minutes from campus.

i interviewed today and it was really relaxed. the place is gorgeous! i stayed at the cumberland gap inn and it was nice and the town of cumberland gap is cute and about 2 minutes from campus.

What kind of questions did they ask? How many people did you interview with? How long did the actual interview last? Inquiring minds want to know.

Marcia

Hey I got an interview too on the 13th, and Im pretty excited. I had a super hard time trying to get a reservation at the Inn but I eventually called the 888 number and they were able to work out something for me. I ended up getting a cheap, well cheaper flight from chicago to knoxville from priceline. looks like its a pretty long drive from the airport.

Okay, I had my interview yesterday. It was wonderful! The campus is beautiful, the people are really down-to-earth and kind, and everything is very organized even though it is a new school. I hope I get in because I loved it! Definitely my top choice! LMU is small as is the town of Harrogate, so if you are not into rural areas this may not be the place for you. But, the town of Middlesboro, Kentucky is only about five minutes away and there is probably everything that you could ever need there. It is a really beautiful area as well. Also, the Best Western was also not bad. The people there were really nice as was the room. The only complaint I had was a bit of a musty motel smell. Apparently some of the rooms on hold at the Holiday Inn are on hold for DCOM. So, if you call and tell them that you are going for an interview they may have a room. All and all, I have to say that I loved absolutely everything about the school and the area and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

I live about 30 min. from LMU DCOM. Submitted my secondary by fax last Friday and talked with admissions same day. If my MCAT is good should interview the 24th of this month. Anyone interviewing then? If I can answer questions about the area let me know.

Anthony

Okay, I had my interview yesterday. It was wonderful! The campus is beautiful, the people are really down-to-earth and kind, and everything is very organized even though it is a new school. I hope I get in because I loved it! Definitely my top choice! LMU is small as is the town of Harrogate, so if you are not into rural areas this may not be the place for you. But, the town of Middlesboro, Kentucky is only about five minutes away and there is probably everything that you could ever need there. It is a really beautiful area as well. Also, the Best Western was also not bad. The people there were really nice as was the room. The only complaint I had was a bit of a musty motel smell. Apparently some of the rooms on hold at the Holiday Inn are on hold for DCOM. So, if you call and tell them that you are going for an interview they may have a room. All and all, I have to say that I loved absolutely everything about the school and the area and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

I stayed in Middlesboro, KY this summer for a night. Be warned, the locals told me that the town has a tremendous poverty and drug problem. Beautiful in parts yes, but watch out if you go off the main commercial strip

Somebody up there said apply even if you think it's low, and I agree! I know my MCAT is low compared with most of the people on here, and I am interviewing on the 20th. If you really want to know, I'll post it but I think you should just apply.

And those who interviewed, what did they ask, what was it like?! Since DCOM is a new school, there is nothing on the interview forum about them!

Iam contemplating scheduling my interview on the 20th as well. If i do, let's meet..lol I live in ny. Iam gonna have a hard time getting there, but iam hoping i get an invite from pikeville soon, so i could round the bases at once. Good luck!

I spoke with Dr Leo on the telephone in early September. He was very friendly and tried to answer all of my questions. He said that the curicculum will be very similar to Western in Pomona. Dr. Leo said that he worked for Western and then LECOM Bradenton before taking a position at Debusk. There are some other people from Western as well. He rattled off some of the classes that you would take and told me that there would be more information as soon as they rcvd the written report allowing them to start the school.

i interviewed the other day. it seems like they have really done a good job or recruiting top notch profs w/lots of experience teaching at various DO schools. they are also going to offer an innovative pharmacology experience by getting some profs from UTs pharm school to come up and teach. theres alot of money being pumped into the new school and everything will be hi-tech and wireless. the area's gorgeous, but like many noted, rather rural. the dean mentioned that area expansion is likely in the next few years (ie highway development, businesses, etc). the new school should help w/this. some perks there now is that cost of living is real cheap (1BR for ~400/mo). also, u can see new movies at the cinema for $1.50. i got a couple tough interview ques (some ethical) but most pple got pretty easy-going interviewers. :luck: to those interviewing later in the month...

Redsox do you remem the name/s of your interviewer/s? I will be interviewing the 24th and live 30 min from school, have met most of the folks.

Hey I got an interview too on the 13th, and Im pretty excited. I had a super hard time trying to get a reservation at the Inn but I eventually called the 888 number and they were able to work out something for me. I ended up getting a cheap, well cheaper flight from chicago to knoxville from priceline. looks like its a pretty long drive from the airport.

PM if you want and we can make sure to meet.(Ican check my messages on the road) I also got into the Holiday Inn Express after much pestering. I should probably arrive at 8-11 tonight. I am driving not flying (cheapest ticket I could find was almost $600). Good Luck!!!
Marcia

Hello,
I was just wondering how long it took from the time you turned in your secondary to the time you were notified about an interview?? Congrats to all you that have recieved interviews!!:)

Little over a week from receiving my secondary. Don even have my letters yet.

I interviewed there today. The school is going to be awesome. The faculty and staff can't be beat. This school has easily moved to the top of my list.

The interview is only stressful, because it is an interview. They all went out of their way to make us all feel at ease. I had a great time.

Marcia

PS. Dr Thompson, if you are reading this...HI!!!!

I interviewed there today. The school is going to be awesome. The faculty and staff can't be beat. This school has easily moved to the top of my list.

The interview is only stressful, because it is an interview. They all went out of their way to make us all feel at ease. I had a great time.

Marcia

PS. Dr Thompson, if you are reading this...HI!!!!

marcia describe your whole experience in tenesse? the drive, the day at school, the people etc

marcia describe your whole experience in tenesse? the drive, the day at school, the people etc

The drive was nice. The view as you can imagine was great. The roads are all in good shape and there are some twisty turns, but nothing extreme. There was not a lot of traffic and I was driving on Thursday from 10am to 7pm. The only traffic I had was in Chicago.

The people in the area were all very friendly.An above poster mentioned that some areas off the strip may have been bad. I did not see any evidence of this. Of course, I could not have seen everthing, but it was definitely not just out there in the open, and we drove around quite a bit at different hours.

The day started at 8:45 and ended at 2. They were very organized and kept to the schedule very well. I hate to tell you blow by blow what happened because it is so awesome I would hate for you to miss out on the experience. Everyone is very enthusiastic about their program, as well they should be. They will have some of the finest facilities anywhere in the country. They are proud of the DO philosophy and promote OMM very strongly in the curriculum. They have great faculty and staff. Anyway, just enjoy the day, it will be great.

Marcia

Status
Not open for further replies.