Debusk College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No one has to post their reasons if they don't want to. I am not going to hunt them down and beat them with bamboo, (as drmax would say;) ). I was just curious why and if anyone feels comfortable sharing their reasons, I appreciate it. I know that choosing a school is a very individual decision. There are a lot of things to consider when choosing one. I withdrew from very good, established schools like PCOM because they did not fit my needs. I know there are people who think I am nuts for that. I love DCOM and I have always been happy to answer any questions that I can. I get a lot of PMs and IMs about it. I don't recall ever trying to "talk" anyone into attending DCOM and even if I did, I sincerely doubt it would work. I can't imagine that I could post anything on SDN that would be that convincing. I agree that I want students as classmates who want to be there. It just seemed like all of a sudden a lot of people were turning down their acceptances and I was just curious as to why. I think that everyone is perfectly aware that SDN is not representative of the entire population and that the people on here only represent a small percentage of students who have interviewed and been accepted. All I did was ask a question in an attempt to understand a perceived SDN phenomenon. Any comments regarding that are greatly appreciated.

I guess I could try bribing people to go to DCOM.:rolleyes:
EVERYONE WHO GOES TO DCOM GETS A FREE COOKIE!!!! LOL!:laugh:

Any takers...? LOL!

See, didn't work.:smuggrin: :D

copyin my cookie technique i see ;)

Members don't see this ad.

okay i started looking into the loans..understanding that the interest rates accumulate through our 4 years in school and will be added to the principal amount after you graduate, it's so imp to get a lender with a low interest rate. So i would like to know how many of you folks have looked into this and your possible lender? I know edamerica has a 7.5% interest rate, others may be a lil more or less. So any fav. lender among the medical students?

Haven't gotten that far yet. I just started working on my FAFSA. I would be interested to know what you find out though.:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I just wanted to let you all know that there are tons of 2,3, and 4 bedroom houses for rent in the area for $400 to $500 a month. Check out the classifieds link I posted earlier. :D

LOL! Is your avatar a picture from around Harrogate? If you have any good pics add them to the DCOM group on Facebook or post them here. Thanks!:D

It was the "Bean Station" overlook at the top of the mountain on the way to DCOM...not too far from the school

Attachments

• TN 004a.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 117
It was the "Bean Station" overlook at the top of the mountain on the way to DCOM...not too far from the school

WOW! It is beautiful. I thought it was taken around there. I think that the area is one of the most beautiful places in the world, (yes Dr. Inviz, I said world:rolleyes: :laugh: ). Thanks!:D

Can someone who is familiar with the area tell me anything about LaFollette? I have decided that I am definitely looking for somewhere halfway between Harrogate and Knoxville. Dr. Leo had suggested LaFollette. Are there any bad areas of the town? Is it a safe and pretty place to live? What about shopping? What about schools? Oh and where can I get good coffee and Brie? :rolleyes: :laugh: (I know, I am spoiled.;) ) Thanks!

Just wondering since we went through LaFollette on the way in and on the way out...does anyone know about how far Morrisstown is from the school?

I realize I can mapquest it, but wondering about what actual drive time is, etc...

Just trying to help out those looking for a place between Knoxville and Harrogate. :)

Just wondering since we went through LaFollette on the way in and on the way out...does anyone know about how far Morrisstown is from the school?

I realize I can mapquest it, but wondering about what actual drive time is, etc...

Just trying to help out those looking for a place between Knoxville and Harrogate. :)

I have no idea. What did you think of LaFollette?

Just a thought for anyone checking out the area: I just downloaded Google Earth (it's free) and you can use it to check out an area. They have functions on it where you can see grocery stores, banks, the topography, etc. There is not as much detail as there is in other areas when you zoom in. For instance, when I put in my address and checked out my neighborhood, I could see my neighbor's car.:eek: :idea: But, there is not that level of detail there. They just did not get as good a satellite picture I guess. Anyway, it is just another way to check out the area.

One more thing. Go to the DCOM building update page and look at the picture from a few days ago. THEY HAD SNOW!!!! LOL! We haven't had snow in Albany, NY yet. That makes two pictures with snow. I think Ema posted one from there as well. Maybe I can get my white Christmas in Tennessee. :rolleyes: :smuggrin: :laugh:

I was just curious where you guys stayed when you went down for your interview. I will be driving from the Midwest. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Wisconsin. How long does it take to get from Middlesboro to the school?

Thanks a bunch. When did you interview? Have you been accepted? General thoughts?

I stayed at the Best Western.

MJB: Was the town pretty, busy, etc? I am a woman. I need adjectives!!! LOL!

To everyone: I just got a response from my free classifieds ad for a house, so if ya'll are looking for anything, try it. (How do you like my southern?;) )

:)

Thanks a bunch. When did you interview? Have you been accepted? General thoughts?

Interviewed Dec. 22nd...but there have been issues with getting an LOR there..it was apparently lost in the mail.

Hopefully will be faxed in tomorrow (finally got in touch with the Doc tonight), then it will just a be a matter of time until I know my fate, hopefully! This has been a tough wait!

Dmom,

Nothing really stuck out...it seemed like we didn't go through any residential areas...most of the stuff along the highway was commercial/retail. Once you get off 75, it's "town" for about 10 miles or so it seemed..until it went to two lane from LaFollette to Harrogate. Very easy drive on a nice two lane road...not windy or hilly..

I do recall spotting what looked like a decent sized hospital there.

It was about 35-45 minutes from what I would call NW Knoxville.

Dmom,

Nothing really stuck out...it seemed like we didn't go through any residential areas...most of the stuff along the highway was commercial/retail. Once you get off 75, it's "town" for about 10 miles or so it seemed..until it went to two lane from LaFollette to Harrogate. Very easy drive on a nice two lane road...not windy or hilly..

I do recall spotting what looked like a decent sized hospital there.

It was about 35-45 minutes from what I would call NW Knoxville.

Thank you! Yea, it seems like "town" is pretty big. I found two houses that are both in LaFollette, but they are really far apart. One is actually on the outskirts I guess because it is on an acre or two. I think there is one of the St. Mary's there. Wait, I am checking....OK, yes there is and it is one of the fourth year rotation sites. It seems like a good location. Knoxville offers a lot of jobs for my husband, a lot of the third year rotations are there, and it is not too far from Harrogate. So, like Dr. Leo said, it is a good spot to look for houses. That would be great if I could live there and then get my fourth year rotation spot there....:rolleyes: :thumbup: :D I didn't drive from Knoxville to Harrogate because we came from the north, so I didn't know how the drive was. I guess it is not bad from what everyone has said.

Still nothing, huh...WOW!!! That really stinks!!! I know how hard it is to wait, however I am confident that you will have an acceptance and you too will be looking for a house soon.:luck:

Been having a lot of trouble with this LOR getting there. It's been sent, but apparently lost. The doc has two homes, and when he's very hard to get in touch with. Oh well, hopefully tomorrow it will be there and all will be taken care of. :) Keeping a positive outlook, as always!

Does anyone know how many spots are available for LMU, and those of you who have gotten accepted how long did it take for them to notify you? Also if you were to choose between PCSOM and LMU which one and why?

Does anyone know how many spots are available for LMU, and those of you who have gotten accepted how long did it take for them to notify you? Also if you were to choose between PCSOM and LMU which one and why?

It took me about two weeks to hear back. They are trying to start the class with 150 students. I have no idea how many of those spots are already filled.

I interviewed and was accepted to both PCSOM and DCOM. I actually started a thread about the pros and cons at one point. I am glad that I got the chance to compare the two schools as they share a similar mission and are obviously not far from each other. I chose DCOM over PCSOM for many reasons. The location offered more job opportunites for my husband and I also found it be more aesthetically pleasing. As for the schools themselves, I was really not impressed with PCSOM. There were typos and grammatical errors in their letter and presentation. (I started out wanting to be an English major, so that is one of my pet-peeves.:rolleyes: ) They did not put on a really good presentation either. They didn't talk much about the school. The interview day consisted of a short PowerPoint presentation, interactions with the student ambassadors, and the personal interview. My personal interview was really good though. It was actually the most difficult interview I had, (DCOM was easy and NYCOM was weird.) My interviewer really grilled me. He asked a lot of questions and then I answered them and he asked me more questions about my answers.:eek: He was really nice, (I forgot his name though), but it was still tough. After the interview, I went on a tour. My tour guide was a student who was really nice and very knowledgeable. When we went in the admissions office, the Dean was smoking in there. :confused: I just didn't get the feeling from the faculty and students that I got at DCOM. Everyone at DCOM is so enthusiastic and passionate about the school. PCSOM was definitely lacking in that. I also got the impression, (and have since had it confirmed), that there is a lot of political and bureaucratic upheaval at the school. I know that PCSOM provides a lot of opportunities for the people down there, but there were a number of reasons why it was not the school for me. I was flattered that they interviewed and accepted me. They definitely don't take too many people from the northeast.;) Ultimately, it is a personal choice and one that only you can make. I would say that the best thing you can do is to visit each school and hopefully get the opportunity to interview. Good luck!:luck:

Thanks! Wisconsin. How long does it take to get from Middlesboro to the school?

Where in Wisconsin are you coming from? I live just off the Capital Square in Madison, and I work for UW Med School.

Been having a lot of trouble with this LOR getting there. It's been sent, but apparently lost. The doc has two homes, and when he's very hard to get in touch with. Oh well, hopefully tomorrow it will be there and all will be taken care of. :) Keeping a positive outlook, as always!

MJB - stay positive! I had a similair issue with my LOR from my undergrad school - it took awhile to even get in contact with someone from my undergrad who could resend the letters to DCOM... after they got the letters it took another week or so before I got my phone call and 2 more weeks till I actually received my acceptance letter... so don't worry and good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.