Dec. 1st Notification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gurl21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm kind of confused about this Dec. 1st notification. It seems as though people are still sending in application updates, and getting interviews for January. What I'm wondering is...how many seats do the schools actually fill up by Dec. 1st? Not all of the seats I am assuming? OR...are these january interviews and academic updates for people trying to get on an alternate list? Please clarify this for me, someone! thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Those with interviews still to attend may or may not be interviewing for waitlist/alternate positions.

It varies from school to school, but each school has an acceptance/matriculation ratio. That is, the number of acceptances necessary to give out in order to matriculate an entire class. Some schools send out 1.5x as many seats in order to fill a class (a class of 50, then send out 75 acceptances), while others send out 4-5x as many acceptances to fill their class (a class of 50, they send out ~200 acceptances).

These numbers are never static and always dynamic, so schools must work with them each year. They are typically in a range though, and schools know this and base their estimates off previous years. For example, school X knows that it must send out 2x acceptances to matriculate an entire class, os on Dec 1 it will send out 1x acceptances, then then a remaining 1x on Jan 15, February 15, and any other dates combined to equal a 2x total.

ItsGavinC said:
Those with interviews still to attend may or may not be interviewing for waitlist/alternate positions.

It varies from school to school, but each school has an acceptance/matriculation ratio. That is, the number of acceptances necessary to give out in order to matriculate an entire class. Some schools send out 1.5x as many seats in order to fill a class (a class of 50, then send out 75 acceptances), while others send out 4-5x as many acceptances to fill their class (a class of 50, they send out ~200 acceptances).

These numbers are never static and always dynamic, so schools must work with them each year. They are typically in a range though, and schools know this and base their estimates off previous years. For example, school X knows that it must send out 2x acceptances to matriculate an entire class, os on Dec 1 it will send out 1x acceptances, then then a remaining 1x on Jan 15, February 15, and any other dates combined to equal a 2x total.

thanks so much for the helpful clarification! i get it now :)