Technology Deciding between smartphone and PDA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Piers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently a Verizon cell phone user. Thinking about either the iphone or upgrading to a Verizon Blackberry Storm. With the latter I can stay with Verizon but don't know whether the Storm has enough of the mainstream medical apps as well as the free apps. I'm sure iphone has far more apps but I'm mainly concerned about medical software. I don't see the Storm mentioned much in this forum so I assume iphone is the prevalent smartphone and maybe the current technological "sweetspot".

Another option is for me to keep the Verizon cell phone and get an ipod touch. Two devices may be cumbersome but perhaps voice and apps might work better (faster) separately?

If I went with the iphone, would I be able to retain my Verizon cell number? If so, how long does it take to make the switch from one carrier to the other?

Any feedback or other options would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure you can keep your number if you're switching carriers, as long as it's in the same area code. I think they can do it within a few seconds/minutes, so it doesn't take long to switch.

I think most of your concerns have been addressed within the last couple of pages of this forum. Scroll down the list (you may need to change the setting at the bottom of the screen of the Tech Forum main page to give you a wider date range of threads), and I think you'll find several threads covering BB vs. iPhone/iPod Touch, especially with regards to medical apps.

One big thing to remember: combining two devices...one battery. You might get caught off-guard when you need to make a call in the evening, and your phone's spent all day slurping down e-mail every 20 minutes, or you're surfing the web on it every now and then.

Not that smartphones are terrible (I can't live without mine), its just that you need to be cautious to not lose their primary function: phone.

Members don't see this ad :)
One big thing to remember: combining two devices...one battery. You might get caught off-guard when you need to make a call in the evening, and your phone's spent all day slurping down e-mail every 20 minutes, or you're surfing the web on it every now and then.

Not that smartphones are terrible (I can't live without mine), its just that you need to be cautious to not lose their primary function: phone.

True story. Car charger is a must for me. I'll even grab the home cord if I know I'll be using it more and indoors one day.

Are you able to afford a data plan? I've been a long-time Verizon customer and I've been using a Windows Mobile smartphone for many years. Today, I got the BlackBerry Storm and I'm not sure if I'll be keeping it or switching back to WinMobile (esp since most of the phones are now only $99 or free with my "new every two" plan)

Thanks for the feedback.

At this point I'm leaning toward the ipod touch. The iphone cost, two-year contract and battery concerns are factors. As far as medical software, is there any downside/disadvantages to using it on the ipod touch versus the iphone? Are there any advantages of the touch over the iphone beyond the cost savings and separate batteries?

Thanks for the feedback.

At this point I'm leaning toward the ipod touch. The iphone cost, two-year contract and battery concerns are factors. As far as medical software, is there any downside/disadvantages to using it on the ipod touch versus the iphone? Are there any advantages of the touch over the iphone beyond the cost savings and separate batteries?

Its at the point where literally, iPhone is an iPod Touch with a GSM radio + cellular software kernel module. I believe both share the same stable of apps, screen size, etc.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not sure which ones they might be, but be aware that if you ever need to run a program that's web based on the iPod touch, you may not be able to access what you need if you're not in range of a wireless network.

However, I think that many/most of the more popular medical apps for the iPhone/touch aren't really web-based. But this is all from what I hear. Check on your anticipated apps to be sure.

as an MS II I'm leaning on getting an iPod touch for MS III even thou I have an iPhone because of battery life issues. I'll be able to have all the same apps on both devices but I'd like not to leave the hospital and have no juice on my iPhone left cause I was using it for patients

The phone should last you all day (unless you are on call and using it all night too). If that's the case you should bring a charger to juice it up for about 30 minutes and you should be fine.