Deciding Disadvantaged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Z-123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I saw someone else just asked about deciding if you were disadvantaged or not. I have a question along with that.

I know that you can disclose any learning blocks or disadvantages later on in the process. I have had mental illness since I was 7. It comes with its own issues, but I am confused if I state that I consider myself disadvantaged or not. I know it qualifies as a disability, and I am lost on whether or not this carries over.

Members don't see this ad.

The reason why many people would caution against this, is because mental illnesses are often eternal. Once you’re diagnosed with one, it stays with you for life. And unfortunately, these diagnoses carry some heavy stigmatizations. Some adcom members will believe that you unfit/unable to bear the stress of medical school...due to your mental illness. As such, I would caution that you tread lightly when it comes to disclosing such matters.

If you can direct the focus of your disadvantaged status to any financial difficulties that you may have had (perhaps due to your mental illness), then you should be ok...But then again, I’m not an adcom. Hope this helps atleast somewhat

Reactions: 1 users
Also not an adcom, but I agree with the above. Unfortunately, disabilities of any sort are still seen as somehow making one less able to practice medicine (which is ridiculous, to be honest.) Mental illness is stigmatized above most other disabilities. Once you're admitted into med school, feel free to work with disability services on accommodations (there are a ton that can be made for mental illness.)

However, I don't think you should draw any unnecessary attention to your mental illness. What ends up happening is attitudes that can resemble the following: if someone else messes something up, it is because they are new medical students and are learning. If you mess up, it's because you have a mental illness. Even if you and another student make the same exact mistake in the same exact way.

The real answer is yes, you are incredibly disadvantaged and underrepresented in medicine. You've had a difficult battle. But you are, in fact, so disadvantaged that it is still acceptable for some state licensing boards to deny you a license to practice simply because you have a mental illness.

"Diversity" and "Inclusion" are two terms that still don't, unfortunately, include those with disabilities of any kind.

Hit me up if you have any specific questions, happy to chat about going through medical school with chronic mental illness.

- Red

Reactions: 1 user