Decision Time! Mizzou or UF?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlistexWorks

Sophomore Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe that the time has come to decide...under no circumstances will I mail out my decision letter later than Friday, April 3. I've been accepted to 8 schools but it has really come down to the financial issue. It would be really nice to graduate from CSU, Cornell, or Purdue, but the subsequent $200,000+++ in debt from attending any of these is totally not worth it.

So, it's finally come down to my IS school (UF) and Mizzou. Obtaining IS tuition from Mizzou after the first year and getting some of their many available scholarships would make Mizzou my least expensive option, in addition to the low-cost housing around Columbia. Mizzou has an awesome rec center, genial and supportive faculty (or so I've been told by many students and practicing doctors out there), beautiful teaching hospitals, and I honestly felt like the students there were happy to be there. Columbia apparently has lots of nice parks and trails around, including many great places to study. The negatives? I've read that the first year in Mizzou is not so great and that the anatomy professors are not very helpful. I also don't know if the larger class size means less individual time with cadavers and more competition in the teaching hospital down the line.

As far as UF, I'm excited about their new small animal teaching hospital, zoological medicine exposure, weather, great anatomy and first year professors, and being 2 hours from my family. I've read that the school has many "cons" however, such as competition between students, parking, limited availability of getting close to professors, overall funding limitations/money problems of the school, and a weak oncology department. Several practicing vets and recent graduates from other schools working with recent UF graduates have told me that UF produces students that are largely "overconfident and poorly trained."

I take information I've read and heard "with a grain of salt." I know that most reports are just opinions that may have strings attached to personal convictions. I have weighed the pros and cons of both schools but I'm not sure which school would be the best decision. I know that no school is perfect and I'm not expecting paradise, but this decision is tearing me up inside! Any advice or insight would be sweeeeet! :banana::diebanana::soexcited:

Members don't see this ad.

Well, first off, congratulations! What a great acceptance year, and you've got some really great choices to make! I hope you're really, really proud of what you've accomplished (because I am, and I don't even know you!)!

Missouri is definitely my top choice when I apply next year for a lot of the reasons that you mentioned - surrounding area, supportive faculty, facilities, and, most of all, COST! For you, choosing to be away from family when you could attend a closer IS school is definitely a tough choice. Would you be okay with shorter visits during the summer and maybe winter break? Four years can be a long time, and if you're very close with your family, going without for that time might make it seem longer.

I haven't heard the UF reputation you mentioned, but we don't get too many UF graduates up here, so that might be why. If that's a major concern for you and it's something you've heard more than once, that's also important to think about. If you don't want to be lumped in that category, are there things you would plan to accomplish or do during vet school that would help you become a better vet? Would you be willing to push yourself at UF to set yourself apart and prove that reputation doesn't apply to you?

There are definitely negatives and positives to each, but for me, cost and family would be my biggest concerns. Does the money you'll save outweigh being far from home? I think through clinicals and externships, you can get solid exposure and experience in any field you want, so you can get zoo experience if you go to Missouri and oncology if you go to Florida. It might not be around you all the time, but you can find it.

GOOD LUCK with your decision! You will do incredibly well wherever you go!

Since your opening paragraph ruled out schools based on financials, I will only point out there is an "IF" in the Missouri equation. IF you get in-state and IF you get the scholarships, Missouri is less expensive than UF in-state tuition.

I agree with all your reasoning related to Missouri, I was very impressed with the school but if any of those "IFs" don't pan out(for whatever reason), especially gaining in-state residency, your financial picture changes and is possibly similar to the one used to dismiss all the other schools mentioned as too expensive.

The financial variables don't exist at UF and I suspect you would get a great education there but I do understand the attraction of Mizzou and the Columbia area. Guess it comes down to your comfort with the degree of risk associated the Mizzou financial model.

Good Luck With Your Decision!

PP

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice is to go where you feel the most excited. You seem to really like Mizzou and if it is financially the best option, then go there! I made the mistake in undergrad to transfer from a great school I really liked to a school I wasn't too crazy about. I still regret that decision, but that's life, right?:smack:

Hello Blistexworks, just wanted to chime in about the scholarships, this upcomming financial year is not looking good as far as interest returns from the endowments where many of the scholarships come from. This won't affect this years rounds of scholarships but will next year (I heard a 30% or more reduction in interest returns).

Hey Blistex.. I'm glad there is someone out there that loved Mizzou as much as I did! My only advice is this, putting all money issues aside (I know that is tough to do) where do you feel you would be happiest? I absolutely LOVED Missouri, and would have gone there in a heartbeat had I'd not been accepted to UF. The other schools I'd been accepted to were very easy for me to rule out because of the financial reasons, but overall, I just didn't feel like they were the "right" school for me. I tried to choose based on where I'd be happiest and were the learning environment was best for me, because four years can be a very long time if you're not happy. I know it's a tough choice, but I'd say if you're close to your family, worried about finances, and risking not getting IS at Mizzou, I would say UF is the better choice.. ahhh but it's SO hard because I really loved Mizzou too! Let us know what you choose and CONGRATS!

Not sure if this will be influential to your decision at all, but as far as exotics go, every other year they hold an exotics symposium which some of my friends have said is really good. Granted, overall Mizzou wouldn't be at the same level of exotics exposure as UF...

Several practicing vets and recent graduates from other schools working with recent UF graduates have told me that UF produces students that are largely "overconfident and poorly trained."

You are the 3rd person I have heard this from. I am flying out to OKSU tomorrow to weigh all my options. I too am 'concerned' about your above statement. Anyone here care to weigh in???

I think that statement is a load of crap. I work with two emergency vets that are UF grads, one in 2007 the other in 2003. They are sharp, well prepared, well informed and have excellent skills. The 2007 grad is so sharp with her radiology and ultrasound skills that we have been using less and less of the radiology consult service we used to use. As a side note - she is from Pennsylvania, got into UPenn in-state, and turned it down to go to Florida.

I also know an equine vet who is an '07 UF grad, and she got into a very competitive internship right out of school in equine therio, and is now doing a residency. She is also super bright and well prepared.

The fourth UF grad I know is in a clinical pathology residency and is one of the smartest people I know.

The other two vets I know were Ross students who did their 4th year at UF. Also excellent vets, one is doing a residency in internal medicine and the other is an awesome ER doc.

As far as I can see from my personal experience, I am yet to meet a UF grad that I wouldn't take my own animals to - with complete confidence. I am proud to be following in their footsteps; I hope I can be half as good as all of them!!! :)

Blistex, I hope to have you as a classmate in the fall!! Good luck with whatever decision you choose!!

Another thing, don't worry about getting IS tuition, unless you are under 21 NOBODY has a problem doing it (if you're under 21 you have to emancipate yourself and its more of a pain in the butt). I have never heard of anyone not being able to get IS tuition!

Personally, I think there are jerks at every vet school, just as there are jerks in every town, city, state, and country :)

I don't know where this reputation comes from -- I thought the students and faculty at UF were way warmer, friendlier and less competitive than anywhere else I applied. Except maybe Kansas State (and even then it's about equal.)

On a more personal note, I didn't completely realize the value of being only minutes away from my family until I moved 1000 miles away from all of them. Just something to think about :)

But adventure is good too! Changed my life!

I'd say....M-I-Z!

All bias aside, both are great schools and they'll both make you a great vet IF you put in the work (not saying you won't, I just believe all schools put out pretty equal graduates if they've studied hard)

Good luck with your choice!

I would also chime in about the statement about UF not being necessarily true. There are going to be overconfident people anywhere you go and people encountering that at UF may also simply be running into some stereotypical "southern florida" vet students ;)

Basically though you are going to have cocky bastards wherever you attend. Frankly if finances are such a large concern for you I wouldn't risk taking a chance on Missouri. I've known plenty of excellent vets that have graduated from UF at least 15 actually... and all of them are doing quite well and were/are well adjusted even recent grads

Florida's parking situation.. yeah that's true, but there is a fairly decent bus system in Gville.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, first off, congratulations! What a great acceptance year, and you've got some really great choices to make! I hope you're really, really proud of what you've accomplished (because I am, and I don't even know you!)!

I do know him, and he should be proud of himself!

J:
Honestly, I think if you're going to choose between those two, and considering what ratbandit said about scholarships at Mizzou, UF is probably going to be a better choice for you. The IS tuition at UF is pretty cheap, especially compared to here!

I have literally heard "X turns out bad graduates who are not well prepared for practice" about every school I've lived near at one point or the other - it's most decidedly a regional thing. Also, my favorite vet in the world (you know who she is!) went to UF, so don't you be talkin bad about them or I'll tell her and you'll be sorry! :smuggrin:

Everyone here has given you great advice. All i have to offer is that my vet in SC (i did not work there) graduated from UF a while back, but I absolutely love, love, love him and he runs a phenomenal practice. He actually set me up with his best friend, who also graduated from UF, but lives a few hours away and runs his own practice as well. We dated for a while and while he was not my vet, he seemed not only extremely competent, but was a modest and really nice guy. His father was a prof at UF (not in vet med) and he still got rejected his first cycle.

congrats on all of your acceptances!!! i am sure you will make the decision that is best for you.

Thank you all for such wonderful advice! I didn't want to turn this thread into a UF-grad bashing one as this concern is just a small piece of deciding where to attend. Can anyone elaborate on the first year or two of going to school in Missouri? I've gotten the impression from some people that the first year in Missouri is "you're on your own as it seems most professors don't want you to succeed...especially in anatomy, where you might have to learn it all on your own." Also, how does it feel to have nearly all tests on computer? Personally I've never had a class where the exams are on computer (except for the GRE). I've been used to mostly essay and oral tests with many of them containing multiple choice questions. Also, will having 30 more students in the incoming class (for a total of 110) have a significant impact on learning (especially during labs and clinicals?)? If I remember correctly the anatomy and micro labs seemed quite small. I didn't have the chance to visit the library so I don't know how useful it might be.

Hehe, I was going to ask you what you decided but I guess you haven't yet .... I don't have anything else to add except good luck!! :)

I've gotten the impression from some people that the first year in Missouri is "you're on your own as it seems most professors don't want you to succeed...especially in anatomy, where you might have to learn it all on your own." Also, how does it feel to have nearly all tests on computer? Also, will having 30 more students in the incoming class (for a total of 110) have a significant impact on learning (especially during labs and clinicals?)? I didn't have the chance to visit the library so I don't know how useful it might be.

That impression is completely wrong IMO. Yea, Dr. C (the anatomy prof) is not the greatest, but plenty of people do fine with him. And in the small animal anatomy lab, Pat Porter is a really helpful teacher in there. I remember in my first year seeing Pat stay in there over lunch periods giving people extra help if they needed it. In large animal anatomy, you'll have Dr. Frappier helping and he's AMAZING. If you're interested in learning it, most teachers (I'd say 90+%) will go above and beyond. And as far as the rest, well it's professional school and no one can expect them to spoon-feed you (not saying that's what you implied). They give you plenty of help to let you do well.

As far as tests on computer, it takes some getting used to, but that's a huge Pro for Mizzou. The NAVLE test is on the computer so by the time we take the NAVLE, we're very accustomed to computer exams. And there is a slight learning curve to it, but I think most would agree that they now prefer the computer exams because we instantly know our grade.

With the additional students, I know they're planning on splitting the anatomy labs up on different days so there won't be everyone in there at once. If you wanted further details, I'm sure Kathy Seay could point you in the right direction.

The library is small, but I never have a problem finding a spot to study. There's the library and then there are tons of little rooms throughout the building where you can go and not be bothered.

Good luck with your choice!

Let me clarify b/c I think the anatomy comment you may have gotten from me. ALL of the anatomy professors are VERY supportive in their enthusiasm and willingness to help; however, the course director, though being very WILLING to help is ultimately not very helpful. The other 3 teachers running the small animal lab are very helpful and once you get to large animal it is better because A) You're already familiar with a lot of the nomenclature and B) You have more people working on the animal to figure things out C) You have Dr. Frappier. The lecture portion of the class (for small animal) I found to be completely useless which is what the "learning it on your own" comment was referring to, but ultimately it is what you learn in LAB that is important. I would agree w/ Razordoc that MOST teachers are very willing to help w/ review sessions etc. but most of the time you won't find that extra help is needed.

I like having tests on the computer and l was also used to essay exams in undergrad, most of the computer tests are multiple choice. It's nice to know your grade as soon as you're done.

I have no idea how adding more people to the class will affect clinics, we'll just have to wait and see. I heard they are splitting the labs up so they shouldn't be overcrowded.

The library is not a very popular place, I'm one of the few people who actually use it regularly and most times I'm one of 4 people who are in there. There are many places in the building you can go to study (Adams Conference room, empty classrooms, the library, Histo/computer lab, private testing rooms, etc.)

Hope this clarifies!

I'm almost certain it will be UF...

Today was very interesting for me, as I was praying and hoping for "signs" and/or "signals" as to where to attend. I worked the 12 hour shift as a tech today and since many of the clients know me I sparked up a conversation with them about my decision and every single one said hands down "UF" after listing my pros and cons. During the lunch break, I had time to sit down and just really focus on the decision that would change my life for the next 4+ years. Also, after work, I spoke with several doctors I've worked with regarding my concerns, which helped clarify a lot of things. Finally, tonight, I spoke with many of my family and friends in Florida as well as around the USA.

Ultimately, I know in my heart that I will be most happy at UF. It just "feels" right and I got that warm, fuzzy feeling just from walking around campus and talking with many of the current students there. I am confident that UF has a solid program that prepares its students to be respectable doctors. They offer a remarkable exotic species program and will be completing a brand new (much needed) teaching hospital next year. Housing is affordable, weather is superb, and I will be close to my family (2 hours away). I will be able to see my little cousins more often (currently aging from 1 to 4 years) and will enjoy to see how they grow. My lab absolutely loves Dogwood park (which is close to the vet school) which has two swimming areas and tons of shaded space to relax and study outdoors.

(Website: http://www.dogwoodpark.com/)

I finally had an honest conversation with those that said the demeaning statements of UF earlier. They confessed that UF is in fact a great school that will provide "an excellent education" and truly I don't believe that a school can make you a mean person unless you enter the program with a tendency to be nasty already.

The financial aspect was important as well, as UF is in my home state and I would not have to worry about obtaining in-state tuition anywhere. Also, I have two vet school friends at UF right now (class of 2012 and 2010) that seem to love their experiences there. One of my best friends is starting dental school this August and really wants me to start there as well. Gainesville is also close to Ocala which means that there are lots of horses coming through the doors at the large animal teaching hospital.

Having a strong background in music (I was a music/biology major during undergrad), I was also happy to know that UF has one of the strongest music programs in the nation. The music department is very close to the vet school, so there would be an opportunity to attend a few chamber recitals or symphony concerts per month perhaps and keep me sane.

A part of me was concerned about the ability to feel independent. I thought that if I went to UF my family back home would be a "crutch." Upon thinking about it, that is a label that does not apply to me. I think that having family just a 2 hour drive away brings more of an opportunity than a hindrance or temptation. I'll still be living on my own (I currently reside at home) and will have to make ends meet, but I can still go home a few more times a year and enjoy a few more birthdays, kindergarten graduations, and the little things in life. Living in Gainesville will give me a taste of true independence and I can always complete a residency or internship in a different state after obtaining a DVM. Although going to Missouri would be great, I feel that, especially in these times, I should try to hold on to the important things in life as well as complete a rigorous medical program. I feel terrible for trying to convince myself that UF is a great school, but it finally clicked today. I KNOW that UF is a great school that is endorsed by the AVMA, has very high NAVLE pass rates (http://www.vetmed.ufl.edu/education/dvmadmissions/documents/UFCVMNAVLEResults_000.pdf), and has many opportunities to perfect surgical techniques and study exotic species. I think it was unfair to label UF as a bad school just because a few individuals out there have had a bad personal experience with a few graduates.

This brief post :rolleyes: has helped me solidify my decision to attend UF. It was very easy to write and reflect on the the many positive aspects of the school. I found myself searching hard for the negatives surrounding UF, but as for Missouri it was easier to point out my reservations and concerns.

I thank all of you for your input and honest opinions. As of now, I'm a Florida gator.

For now...:banana:

Yay Blistex!! Can't wait to meet you in the fall!!! :) :)

I believe that the time has come to decide...under no circumstances will I mail out my decision letter later than Friday, April 3. I've been accepted to 8 schools but it has really come down to the financial issue. It would be really nice to graduate from CSU, Cornell, or Purdue, but the subsequent $200,000+++ in debt from attending any of these is totally not worth it.

So, it's finally come down to my IS school (UF) and Mizzou. Obtaining IS tuition from Mizzou after the first year and getting some of their many available scholarships would make Mizzou my least expensive option, in addition to the low-cost housing around Columbia. Mizzou has an awesome rec center, genial and supportive faculty (or so I've been told by many students and practicing doctors out there), beautiful teaching hospitals, and I honestly felt like the students there were happy to be there. Columbia apparently has lots of nice parks and trails around, including many great places to study. The negatives? I've read that the first year in Mizzou is not so great and that the anatomy professors are not very helpful. I also don't know if the larger class size means less individual time with cadavers and more competition in the teaching hospital down the line.

As far as UF, I'm excited about their new small animal teaching hospital, zoological medicine exposure, weather, great anatomy and first year professors, and being 2 hours from my family. I've read that the school has many "cons" however, such as competition between students, parking, limited availability of getting close to professors, overall funding limitations/money problems of the school, and a weak oncology department. Several practicing vets and recent graduates from other schools working with recent UF graduates have told me that UF produces students that are largely "overconfident and poorly trained."

I take information I've read and heard "with a grain of salt." I know that most reports are just opinions that may have strings attached to personal convictions. I have weighed the pros and cons of both schools but I'm not sure which school would be the best decision. I know that no school is perfect and I'm not expecting paradise, but this decision is tearing me up inside! Any advice or insight would be sweeeeet! :banana::diebanana::soexcited:

Just want to point out a few things to help reduce your fears on UF. Finishing up my 1st year I have found their to be very little competition in the class. People don't openly talk about their grades unless you ask and more importantly everyone is always trying to help you get a better grade. If it isn't classmates sending out reviews they made up it is in always helping answer questions or studying in groups (especially for anatomy). Yeah you will always have one or two ultra competitive people but even they do it quietly and still are always helpful.

Parking really isn't an issue. If you were talking about being an undergraduate I would say never leave a parking spot if you find one. Fortunately for vet students we are at the south end of campus and have our own parking lots. Your freshman year you will have to walk across the street to Shands to take classes in the morning but lets just say you will never not be able to find a space in one of the 4 parking lots surrounding the vet school.

As for funding, we are in an economic recession and every company and school is having to tighten their belts. The vet school had to make about 10% budget cuts but atleast so far it does not seem to have any impact on our education. At the least we are getting a big fancy new SA hospital to play with! They have completed the cuts mostly by not rehiring for positions where faculty have retired rather than making cuts.

I can't comment on your last two points as I have never heard of UF graduates being overconfident and underperforming and I don't know much about our oncology department. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I've been at UF for 5 years now and I wouldn't trade it for anywhere on the planet.

:soexcited: Yeeeaah, Blistex!!! Now I 'know' another classmate!!!

I think that statement is a load of crap. I work with two emergency vets that are UF grads, one in 2007 the other in 2003. They are sharp, well prepared, well informed and have excellent skills. The 2007 grad is so sharp with her radiology and ultrasound skills that we have been using less and less of the radiology consult service we used to use. As a side note - she is from Pennsylvania, got into UPenn in-state, and turned it down to go to Florida.

I also know an equine vet who is an '07 UF grad, and she got into a very competitive internship right out of school in equine therio, and is now doing a residency. She is also super bright and well prepared.

The fourth UF grad I know is in a clinical pathology residency and is one of the smartest people I know.

The other two vets I know were Ross students who did their 4th year at UF. Also excellent vets, one is doing a residency in internal medicine and the other is an awesome ER doc.

As far as I can see from my personal experience, I am yet to meet a UF grad that I wouldn't take my own animals to - with complete confidence. I am proud to be following in their footsteps; I hope I can be half as good as all of them!!! :)

Blistex, I hope to have you as a classmate in the fall!! Good luck with whatever decision you choose!!

Thank you for saying this. The best vets I have come across and used have graduated from UF. I have also taken my horses to UF on several occasions and they were excellent!!! The vet that I work for is UF graduate, the vet that I uses for my horses is a UF graduate and most of them in the past that I have used have been UF graduates. As for the statement about them being overconfident and uncompitent, I have heard that about students for others schools. Things like that are going to be said about everything so I would definatly not base your opinion on that. In fact that is the first time I have heard that abour UF also. In my opinion I think you should go to UF

I can't comment on your last two points as I have never heard of UF graduates being overconfident and underperforming and I don't know much about our oncology department. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I've been at UF for 5 years now and I wouldn't trade it for anywhere on the planet.

And I wouldn't trade an educational experience that involves spending quality time with bakaduin for anywhere on the planet! ;)

It's official! UF CVM 2013! Thanks again for everybody's great input and support. I can't wait to meet the class!

Yay! Can't wait to meet you! Or re-meet you, if we met on interview day :)