supershorty
Don't look so vexed, toots.
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Mizzou is a 2 and 2 program which means that we are in the classroom for 2 years and then do clinical rotations for 2 years! This means that you have a lot of built in time for electives/externships/preceptorships during your clinical years. Every student is required to do a 6 week food animal medicine and surgery rotation and a 6 week equine rotation at the Veterinary Health Center. There are electives for both food animal and equine available that you can complete, but I'm not sure how long they are/what they entail/how competitive they are. We do not have specific exotic/wildlife rotations through the Veterinary Health Center but we do have Raptor Rehabilitation Project. You can join that as a first or second year vet student and then when you are in your clinical years you become a primary doctor for any birds that come in. If you are looking for specific exotic/wildlife/large animal rotations other than what the school offers, you can use the free blocks/weeks you are given to do externships in those areas!Hello. I am working on my applications now to be submitted in August for the 2026 admission cycle (20y M, first time applicant). Soon to start working on my 17 essays!!!!😯. If anyone has any particular advice on how to strengthen my application or a particular school I should consider, please share.
Currently planning to apply to: NCSU, UT Knoxville (ISS), TAMU, UF, Georgia, and Missouri
I am most interested in good large animal and exotic/wildlife elective rotations, and will likely do mixed animal upon finishing school (so I don't starve doing only large animals lol).
Additional driving factors in school selection: price, location (commute to home - middle TN), amount of clinical/hands-on time
Does anyone know specifics about Mizzou's large animal and exotic/wildlife elective rotations?
I have heard the area is smaller, which is appealing to me. Most affordable, nearby living arrangements?
Thanks.
I have notHave any applicants received any update or general response emails since submission?
Last year, I did not hear anything until around Thanksgiving as an OOS applicantHave any applicants received any update or general response emails since submission?
As far as I know, the admissions office is finalizing interview invite decisions this week. I would not expect anything earlier than next week!Any news if interview invites will be this week or next week?
Conversational, application based for the most part. Goal is to get to know you off paper. The panel is given all your applications to go through so they will already have questions. Each member will ask 2 questions with potential for follow up if time allows. There will also be around 3 general questions that everyone is asked at the endDoes anyone know if the interview is going to be more conversational about your application or are they going to ask situational questions?
Opposite for me! lol. OOS rejection for Missouri todayOOS interview! 🙃 but in the same week got rejected from K State. Everyone keep your head
me too! i got OOS rejection, but an interview at KansasOpposite for me! lol. OOS rejection for Missouri today
Mid 500's is typically how many are offered but that is dispersed between those who choose zoom or in person. There were over 2000 OOS applications this cycle and around 200 ISWill Mizzou release how many interviews were offered? I wonder if its more than last year to compensate for more applicants
Yes. I do have a follow up question. While scoring and making acceptance decisions, do they still take into consideration IS vs OSS? Or is that only when it comes to interview invites?Every applicant is scored on an identical rubric - you are scored on grades, experiences, etc and also receive a score for your interview. All of those will be totaled and those with the highest scores are accepted. Same for oos and is. Some individuals likely will have higher scores pre interview than others but if you get a very high score on your interview that would even it out. Does that help answer your question?
The goal is to accept IS and OOS in a 50:50 ratio. So IS and OOS are in two separate pools and the top scoring applicants from each pool (roughly in that 50:50 ratio) are accepted. If you are an IS applicant you will not be compared to OOS applicants, only other IS applicants in your pool and vice versa. IS and OOS have their own separate waitlists as well but that gets super complicated and I don't fully understand it lolYes. I do have a follow up question. While scoring and making acceptance decisions, do they still take into consideration IS vs OSS? Or is that only when it comes to interview invites?
Do they keep OSS and IS separate so they don’t accept all OSS and all IS based on the scoring system?
I'm not quite sure what you're asking here 😅 - do you mean what % of OOS applicants get accepted after interviews?so then oos is 15-20% post-interview?
The school aims for a 50:50 ratio, but it depends on the year and pool of apps they are working with! The class size tends to range between 120-130yeah, that's what I was wondering
99%! Its super easy, that 1% that doesn't either gets disqualified during the process for something or just doesn't apply to begin withHello! does anyone know the % of students that gain residency after 1st year?
Typically end of February to beginning of March but varies each year, depends how quickly they finalize scores and transcripts for everyoneHow soon after interviews do they typically notify of acceptance/rejection? Interview is in January.
I emailed them my unofficial transcript and they replied back that they received it. You can follow up and ask if they did to make sure.View attachment 413298
Does this email mean they received my transcript?
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.