decision time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD2Be

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
a

Members don't see this ad.

ALBANY!!! Is there any reason you would even consider the other two????

quideam said:
ALBANY!!! Is there any reason you would even consider the other two????

Out of curiosity, what do you think makes Albany stand out from the other two, or what have you heard in general?

I will be at Albany this fall unless i get pulled off a waitlist. I liked the school, am originially from Upstate NY, and won't be paying tuition... so I'm pretty psyched!

Members don't see this ad :)
If I was an out-of-state resident, then the choice between the three would probably be difficult; I would probably choose whichever is cheapest or whichever location I like the best. However, I probably wouldn't go for Drexel just because of all of their financial issues... but anyway.

If you're in-state for a medical school, then I don't think that you should go out-of-state unless:

1) You really need a change of scenery
2) The out of state school is much better (ranked higher, has better opportunities, whatever)
3) Personal reasons (significant other, etc.)

Drexel and Finch, reputation-wise, definetely are not better than Albany. If anything (and I just KNOW i'm going to get bad karma for this), I would say that Albany has a better reputation because the other two are frequently seen as last-choice private schools for those that weren't accepted into their state schools. I'm sure that plenty of people will attack me for saying this, but it really is ture.

So, unless the OP has major issues with going to Albany, I would say go to Albany.

Drexel and Finch, reputation-wise, definetely are not better than Albany. If anything (and I just KNOW i'm going to get bad karma for this), I would say that Albany has a better reputation because the other two are frequently seen as last-choice private schools for those that weren't accepted into their state schools. I'm sure that plenty of people will attack me for saying this, but it really is ture.

True, but so is Albany. Albany is often considered a "safety" private school as well. Albany is not a state supported school and therefore the Op has no advantage for admission or financial purposes because he is a NY resident. Depending on where in NY he is from Drexel may be closer to home. I think it is a toss up and comes down to where the op feels the best fit.

i agree w/ the last poster. i think quid is thinking albany is a state school b/c there's an undergrad there which is a SUNY.

as for me, if you don't mind the distance i'd prolly go to RF. i think Chitown would definitely smoke albany and be much better than suburban philly too. just my .02.

Yup, you guys are right - I did assume that Albany is a state school. If all three are privates, then it really is a toss-up!

Just so that everyone knows... Finch is located in North Chicago, a suburb about 30 miles to the north. It is not in Chicago proper. North Chicago is kind of a shi+ hole suburb (especially compared to the upperclass suburbs directly surrounding it. Drexel University is much closer to Downtown Philadelphia than Finch is to DT chicago.

Drexel only because 10+ people on here tried to convince me that it's the best MD school around. Pity I didn't apply and I don't know what I'm missing.

As someone that has interviewed at all 3 of these schools I would pick Drexel over the other two. It is in Philly which has quite a diverse patient population plus a lot of other med students around. The campus is very technologically advanced and the students seemed happy.

Albany in my impression was pretty run down and didn't have anything special to offer. The fact that they have no U grad affiliation seriously limits their resources. The same goes for RF. Also at RF all the students I met were miserable.

So I would pick Drexel. The "reputation" difference is non existant between these three schools. I was told to apply to these three schools as "safety" schools and this is not meant as an insult to the schools just an indicator that they are the same in terms of reputation.